RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

(13) Princeton at Pennsylvania 3.10.15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/10/15 8:07 am    ::: (13) Princeton at Pennsylvania 3.10.15 Reply Reply with quote

5pm

cbssportsnetwork

PostPosted: 03/10/15 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the one game that can trip the Tigers facing last year's Ivy champs.

Alright my fellow Quakers, give em hell.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/10/15 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tigers up 8-4 @ 15:00.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/10/15 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Princeton coach Courtney Banghart on conf. trophy presentation:

Quote:
It was my choice not to get the Ivy League trophy tonight. We're still Ivy League champions on Tuesday, and it saves the ivy league the trip. Penn took what was ours, and we're going to go back and get it."

Very Happy

Princeton up 23-17 @ 3:30.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/10/15 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Princeton up 26-21 @ halftime.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/10/15 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a feeling Princeton will start hitting their 3s and win by about 20. (kiss of death)

PostPosted: 03/10/15 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tigers only up 1 With 15 min to go.

So what will Princeton's seed be if they lose this game?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/10/15 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, didn't know about the Obama connection.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/10/15 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Princeton now up 11 with eight minutes to go.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/10/15 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

P up 9 7:44

PostPosted: 03/10/15 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to PU going undefeated...gotta love the hype from the announcers re: Princeton scaring the high seeds in whichever regional they're sent. Wink

PostPosted: 03/10/15 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if Princeton ends up a #5 or #6 seed, I see them getting knocked out in the round of 32 anyway. Easy to achieve a perfect record when you're not facing any tough competition.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/10/15 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
if Princeton ends up a #5 or #6 seed, I see them getting knocked out in the round of 32 anyway. Easy to achieve a perfect record when you're not facing any tough competition.

It's not easy. Even if you have a 95% chance of winning every game (number I picked out of the air), there's a 78.5% chance you'll lose at least once.

These teams, all expected to get 3-5 seeds, all have a loss to teams that aren't supposed to be "tough competition":
George Washington: at St Louis
Louisville: at Virginia
Kentucky: at Ole Miss
Duke: at Boston College
Stanford: at Arizona, at Oregon

FS02

PostPosted: 03/10/15 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's not easy. Even if you have a 95% chance of winning every game (number I picked out of the air), there's a 78.5% chance you'll lose at least once.

These teams, all expected to get 3-5 seeds, all have a loss to teams that aren't supposed to be "tough competition":
George Washington: at St Louis
Louisville: at Virginia
Kentucky: at Ole Miss
Duke: at Boston College
Stanford: at Arizona, at Oregon

Princeton clobbered middling Big 10 team Michigan by 30 points. That's one game, but you have to think they could potentially take out a 4-seed with that type of performance.

On the other hand, it looks like no one else in the Ivy League really has an OOC win to speak of, other than Harvard over Quinnipiac.

PostPosted: 03/11/15 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the other thing lost in perception is the value of where all Princeton's best wins took place. As SpaceJunkie's post demonstrates, winning on the road, even against lesser teams, is not always easy.

In fact, winning on the road at Pitt and Michigan are better wins that winning at home against say North Carolina or Kentucky - according to objective ratings like Sagarin when you factor in HCA. Similarly, road wins at American, Penn and Fordham are better than home wins over LSU, Tulane or West Virginia.

Rough equivalencies based on current Sagarin ratings and HCA:
Home win vs #10 ~= road win vs #35
Home win vs #20 ~= road win vs #54
Home win vs #50 ~= road win vs #95

So I wonder where people would think Princeton should be seeded if their 5 best wins were instead all at home over UNC, KY, LSU, Tulane and WVU? Probably a #2? Maybe a #1?

It's one thing to make minor RPI adjustments for road wins, but another entirely to understand what they really mean when analyzing a team's resume in depth. Sadly from Princeton, I don't think the committee has much incentive to do so because it would do no favors to the BCS teams most of them represent who play 80-90% of the non-conference schedule at home.

I would not be surprised at all if Princeton is seeded lower than a team like Mississippi State who looks the part but in fact has not even one RPI top 100 win outside the state of Mississippi. Rolling Eyes

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/12/15 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I appreciate the Princetons of the WCB world but my eyeball test tells me a middling SEC team would beat them handily most times despite my wishing otherwise.

PostPosted: 03/12/15 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I appreciate the Princetons of the WCB world but my eyeball test tells me a middling SEC team would beat them handily most times despite my wishing otherwise.

I'd agree if there were refs using the SEC standards of what is and is not a foul, but if the game was called using PAC12 standards the Tigers could be very competitive.

The other thing Princeton has going for it is the large number of upperclassmen among the leading scorers. Often, young teams underperform on the NCAA stage. I guess that as many games are lost by poor performance as are won by great performance.Princeton has but one senior among it's leading scorers but the rest are all juniors.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/12/15 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I'd agree if there were refs using the SEC standards of what is and is not a foul, but if the game was called using PAC12 standards the Tigers could be very competitive.

The other thing Princeton has going for it is the large number of upperclassmen among the leading scorers. Often, young teams underperform on the NCAA stage. I guess that as many games are lost by poor performance as are won by great performance.Princeton has but one senior among it's leading scorers but the rest are all juniors.

I'd be happy to see your theory come to fruition.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: