RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stringer's old contract still haunting her

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/26/15 7:27 am    ::: Stringer's old contract still haunting her Reply Reply with quote

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/rutgers/2015/02/26/rutgers-vivian-stringer-salary/24031199/

now this contract was rediclious and was the main reason I continually included her on hot seat lists until this year. In a seperate article by the same author there is apparently pressure from the state house on the underinvestment of the Men's program (which IS grossly underfunded even with Eddie Jordan) just interesting that since that contract is in the past (She took a HUGE pay cut to stay at RU which actually shocked me last year) that it's still a sore spot with the media

(Tho both Seton Hall AND Princeton making huge leaps that overshadow RU's excellent big ten debut can't be helping on the court at the gate and in the media and I'll say it again. Stringer doesn't win the NIT or gets on her high horse and refuses it last year, she's gone and likely Banghart is behind the bench for the Big 10)

now does this mean Stringer is still on the hot seat, don't think so at all...but it is a very interesting article.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/26/15 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to be rooting for her to make the Sweet Sixteen! I like the way that would pay out for her...kinda like a built-in 5 year 401K. With her being 66, I can see her retiring in a few years and the money she would get annually beginning in 2018 would be real nice for her.

Dropping from $900,000/year to $700,000 is quite a big drop percentage wise, but we are still talking about a pretty huge salary in comparison to all Americans.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/26/15 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many thought her previous contract was ridiculous.

Was she riding high on the coattails of the Imus Incident (4/07) when that contract was negotiated? If so, that probably figured into it.

Was there ever a more over-paid WCB coach? Congrats to C Viv for that honor.

PostPosted: 02/26/15 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

A lot of Purdue fans would claim that their current HC has those honors.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/26/15 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

A lot of Purdue fans would claim that their current HC has those honors.

She's a bargain compared to CVS, imo.

She has just as many NCs while Purdue's attendance dwarfs RU's. Smile

PostPosted: 02/26/15 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I'm going to be rooting for her to make the Sweet Sixteen! I like the way that would pay out for her...kinda like a built-in 5 year 401K. With her being 66, I can see her retiring in a few years and the money she would get annually beginning in 2018 would be real nice for her.

Dropping from $900,000/year to $700,000 is quite a big drop percentage wise, but we are still talking about a pretty huge salary in comparison to all Americans.

You say she is currently 66 and may retire "in a few years"? Do you have any information on when that might be ?................I know that I had trouble trying to make that prediction on Joe Paterno's retirement.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/26/15 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bacabuck wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

You say she is currently 66 and may retire "in a few years"? Do you have any information on when that might be ?................I know that I had trouble trying to make that prediction on Joe Paterno's retirement.

No I don't. Paterno is definitely the exception, not the rule. I see her moving to the side around 70 or so but I have no insider knowledge or anything. Just a guess and yours would be as good as mine.

I could see her post-coaching career going in so many different directions. I could see her being pretty involved in the WBCA and helping to direct women's basketball into the future...I could see her staying on at Rutgers in some sort of advisory position to the athletic department and maybe even to the President's office...I could see her pretty involved in charity work.

She has always been a very interesting person to me.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 02/26/15 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I find her very interesting also. I think that she is a wealth of information and experience and as you point out, could do a hundred other things that would benefit WBB and also keep her as involved as she wants to be.

I have observed, however, that iconic coaches at top schools don't retire..........they are fired. The last OSU football coach to actually retire was back in 1948.........and the last WBB coach was 33 years ago in 1982 (TVD).

I hope that is not the fate of C. Viv.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: