RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN getting an early start on the hype
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/24/15 11:35 am    ::: ESPN getting an early start on the hype Reply Reply with quote

Obviously some folks in the Bristol Dept of Hype have been bored this year. But they'll be rested and ready to go for next season. Better get ready for Diamond overload.

Can't expect them to expend the energy on players who are actually playing and deserving of the attention.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12369231/the-real-diamond-deshields

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/24/15 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she were playing for ND you'd be drooling all over your shoes.

PostPosted: 02/24/15 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its not like she doesnt have the game to back it up.

PostPosted: 02/24/15 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah. She's just the latest in a lengthening line of imagined "saviors" who lady Vol fans fantasize as the one certain to deliver a return to the elusive glory days.

I wonder what the excuses will be next year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/24/15 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As usually, Art doth protest too much.

PostPosted: 02/24/15 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
As usually, Art doth protest too much.

Art is never happy! UMMMMMMM, ESPN drooled over Skylar Diggins for three years, there was no protest then.

I don't blame ESPN one bit though, they are marketing what they have to with the intent of enhancing their brand and making money. At least they are covering something. Diamond is a stud and good for them for hyping her early.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/24/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Art is never happy! UMMMMMMM, ESPN drooled over Skylar Diggins for three years, there was no protest then.

Let's see, Diggins was actually playing and winning games, not sitting on the bench in street clothes the entire year. I bet even you can understand that distinction if you think really really hard about it.

There are thousands of women busting their asses and playing games this year who actually deserve and have earned attention.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/24/15 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DD actually *was* FOY last year, while playing on a bad wheel. It will be interesting to see what she can do with good ones after a year "off"...though she's actually practicing and working out.

And ucbart is right on the head with his assessment. Some folks just can't be happy and won't be happy. Well, maybe if it's *their* brand being hyped. Personally, I'm *cautiously* optimistic. Nothing is certain but death and taxes...cliche, cliche.

PostPosted: 02/24/15 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did a little looking up of records and found this interesting comparison from last year.

D DeShields 248-582 fgs 42.6% 48-172 3pt 28%

M Simmons 203-488 fgs 41.6% 72-200 3pt 36%

It's curious how one set of numbers was called selfish "jacking" while the other set is the "hope of the future".

In defense of DeShields I will admit that her play late last year and in the NCAA's was much more, let's say, team-oriented, than her early season play.

With Harrison, Burdick and Massengale gone next year, other than DD Tenn has a post recovering from surgery on both feet and a talented freshman pg to make up the loss of the 3 seniors.

What happens if DD starts jacking up 25-30 shots a game, which BTW, I see as likely. How long before the same posts that appeared every time Simmons had an off night start reappearing? Will Diamond's happiness be reduced?

I share the opinion that DD is a extremely talented offensive player and a great athlete. She is velvet smooth with the ball and a joy to watch play. I hope she has broad shoulders because the LV faithful are putting a lot of weight on them.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/24/15 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee has a little more than that, link. You are forgetting another post player who has missed most of this season and will most likely apply for a medical hardship (she actually beat Burdick out for the starting job before she got hurt), a couple of pretty talented shooting guards, one of whom can also double at point and the other at wing, a couple of 3-point threats, and we'll have to see what the incoming freshmen bring. It won't be all DD. Not by a long shot.

PostPosted: 02/24/15 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Tennessee has a little more than that, link. You are forgetting another post player who has missed most of this season and will most likely apply for a medical hardship (she actually beat Burdick out for the starting job before she got hurt), a couple of pretty talented shooting guards, one of whom can also double at point and the other at wing, a couple of 3-point threats, and we'll have to see what the incoming freshmen bring. It won't be all DD. Not by a long shot.

Very Well Said, People Are Sleeping on this team. Come next year andmost ddefinitely two years from now i wonder what the hiccups will be? The Rise Is Inevitable

PostPosted: 02/24/15 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing Diamond play next year. She appears to be the real deal. I love watching her play. I also think T Cooper is super talented. I sure hope Diamond can bring TN back to being champions again. But with Holly at the helm...not sure.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/24/15 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond has game. But I would have enjoyed watching her more if she didn't continually pout and if she would actually play team ball. Guess we will see.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/24/15 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At Tennessee, redshirts have jobs when they are on the bench. I have seen DD doing hers and have not observed her pouting in the least. When she is interviewed, which has actually been pretty infrequently except for the recent ESPN one, the one at the conference event, and the recent one with Lisa Leslie on campus, she has been personable and non-pouty. (She got to do both of those jobs, incidentally, because as a transfer she is not allowed to trave with the team.) In some photo shoots she mugs like any normal teenager. She seems to be doing her best to be part of the team. I guess some people will never be satisfied.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
At Tennessee, redshirts have jobs when they are on the bench. I have seen DD doing hers and have not observed her pouting in the least. When she is interviewed, which has actually been pretty infrequently except for the recent ESPN one, the one at the conference event, and the recent one with Lisa Leslie on campus, she has been personable and non-pouty. (She got to do both of those jobs, incidentally, because as a transfer she is not allowed to trave with the team.) In some photo shoots she mugs like any normal teenager. She seems to be doing her best to be part of the team. I guess some people will never be satisfied.

I think the pouty reference has to do w/ on-court body language as a player rather than as an ineligible cheerleader on the bench.

We have to wait and see if her on-court demeanor has improved. I hope so, but I don't expect much.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

What 3 point threats? Carter's 32%, Reynold's 27%? Or DD's 28%? Or will Nared be starting, and if so, does DD sit?

Once again, Tenn will have lots of talented pieces. But that's been the case for a lot of years now and still no FF's. Now we are to believe that The arrival of DeShields and Cooper and the return of Jones and Russell (& Tucker?) bodes well? That is a lot of talent. Trouble is they basically have zero experience playing together. Those 3 seniors that are leaving have played together for 4 years (and 3 with Graves) and that is why Tenn looked so good this year. Next year may look more like 2009 than 2015. Let's assume that Russell is back to her freshman form or hopefully better. And let's assume that Cooper starts at pg like Massengale did. That means there will be 3 new starters if we assume that Graves and Carter start. That puts all the experience on the bench. Now if Jones is as good as you say, maybe she starts for Graves and now you have 4 starters with almost zero experience together.

It may work out like you think but I've been reading that same Tenn tale for 6 or 7 years now.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/25/15 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As usual, some people can't see the forest for the trees.

It really doesn't matter if DeShields is the greatest player ever to grace a WBB court (which she isn't).

The point that flew right over some peoples' heads is that we are in the last week of the regular season. There are thousands of young women busting their asses and actually playing. There are hundreds of great storylines out there to write about. There are hundreds of young women who deserve and have actually earned the attention.

If ESPN wants to start its inevitable slobbering over DeShields early, it can wait until June. Now is not the time and it is grossly unfair to those actually playing basketball to waste attention on someone who won't step on a court for nine more months. Who cares about someone ineligible and in street clothes when it is crunch time in the 2014-15 season? (Well, other than Tenn fans who seem always to be thinking mostly about the mythical "next year")

By the way, one overlooked fact in this thread. UNC had a better record the year before DeShields arrived, and is almost certain to have a better record this year after she's gone (even with McDaniel having gotten hurt and with this being a stronger year in the ACC). Draw from that reality what you will.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 02/25/15 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
As usual, some people can't see the forest for the trees.

It really doesn't matter if DeShields is the greatest player ever to grace a WBB court (which she isn't).

The point that flew right over some peoples' heads is that we are in the last week of the regular season. There are thousands of young women busting their asses and actually playing. There are hundreds of great storylines out there to write about. There are hundreds of young women who deserve and have actually earned the attention.

If ESPN wants to start its inevitable slobbering over DeShields early, it can wait until June. Now is not the time and it is grossly unfair to those actually playing basketball to waste attention on someone who won't step on a court for nine more months. Who cares about someone ineligible and in street clothes when it is crunch time in the 2014-15 season? (Well, other than Tenn fans who seem always to be thinking mostly about the mythical "next year")

By the way, one overlooked fact in this thread. UNC had a better record the year before DeShields arrived, and is almost certain to have a better record this year after she's gone (even with McDaniel having gotten hurt and with this being a stronger year in the ACC). Draw from that reality what you will.

I made the same point on another board. This story appeared on ESPN's WBB page on Monday, the day Tenn was set to play its biggest game of the year. Surely there are storylines about current players, no? Burdick is having her best season as a senior; the Lady Vol seniors playing for their injured friend and classmate, etc. The timing was just odd.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/25/15 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meh, it's ESPN. They're odd. Their WBB coverage is just a space filler to them.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What 3 point threats? Carter's 32%, Reynold's 27%? Or DD's 28%? Or will Nared be starting, and if so, does DD sit?

Once again, Tenn will have lots of talented pieces. But that's been the case for a lot of years now and still no FF's. Now we are to believe that The arrival of DeShields and Cooper and the return of Jones and Russell (& Tucker?) bodes well? That is a lot of talent. Trouble is they basically have zero experience playing together. Those 3 seniors that are leaving have played together for 4 years (and 3 with Graves) and that is why Tenn looked so good this year. Next year may look more like 2009 than 2015. Let's assume that Russell is back to her freshman form or hopefully better. And let's assume that Cooper starts at pg like Massengale did. That means there will be 3 new starters if we assume that Graves and Carter start. That puts all the experience on the bench. Now if Jones is as good as you say, maybe she starts for Graves and now you have 4 starters with almost zero experience together.

It may work out like you think but I've been reading that same Tenn tale for 6 or 7 years now.

I doubt Cooper starts at PG. Reynolds has been starting much of the latter part of this year. Not that you have been paying attention or anything. And there aren't many teams whose 3 point shooters are better than 32% if they have more than one. It's like .300 hitters when you get down to it. Most 3 point shooters are streaky, that's the way of it.

You just like to troll.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And there aren't many teams whose 3 point shooters are better than 32% if they have more than one.

Where do you get your numbers?

Tennessee is actually shooting 32.9%

That ranks them a whopping 107th as a team.

I suppose you might consider 100 teams better than 32% to be "not many" but I doubt "many" would agree with that assessment.

On an individual basis, by the way, there are only 162 players with enough 3s to qualify for the rankings, but of those 162, 138 of them are over 32%. Massengale is the only Tenn player who qualifies for the rankings and she ranks 83rd. If Reynolds had made enough to be ranked, she'd be second to last.

So maybe in Tennessee 32% is considered good, but nationally, not so much.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee also has Middleton and Dunbar, who are credible 3-point shooters but haven't played a lot this year, being freshmen. I said you weren't paying attention. Now go back under your bridge, or go find someone else to troll.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Tennessee also has Middleton and Dunbar, who are credible 3-point shooters but haven't played a lot this year, being freshmen. I said you weren't paying attention. Now go back under your bridge, or go find someone else to troll.

Thank you!

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

You're the one making idiotic statements that no teams shoot better than 32%. As usual you're just making up nonsense. Sorry if facts are intruding on your homer fantasy.

Oh, BTW, Middleton is shooting 26% from behind the arc. You should try checking your facts before digging yourself a deeper hole. Dunbar is shooting 37% - better than the team average but certainly not "savior" range.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As usual, you're the one making things up and misquoting. I didn't say "no teams", I said probably "not many" shot better. Tennessee has multiple 3-point shooters who, if one or more of them are hitting on any given night, can be very dangerous.

Just be honest, you don't like Tennessee or Tennessee fans. Tough. That's your problem, deal with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: