RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What do you dislike most about UConn WCBB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of these do you dislike most about UConn WCBB?
The success of the program
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
The UConn players
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Geno Auriemma
25%
 25%  [ 12 ]
UConn fan behavior you've encountered in person
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
UConn fan behavior you've encountered on the internet
51%
 51%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 47

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 02/28/15 4:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I dislike the fact that they get the best players out of high school and then when they dominate the coach gets lauded and lionized and the players have praise heaped on them as if they came out of the starting gate equal to the other top 25 teams or top 10 teams, but through determination, intelligence, hard work and fantastic strategy and techniques, were able to get a leg up on the competition.

No doubt about it. Getting the recruits is a huge plus. But other teams get them too. And often they are the consensus top class in the country. I think your reference to the thought of "determination, intelligence, hard work and fantastic strategy" etc. is a little overblown. Give Geno and the coaching staff a little credit. Many coaches do. I think it says something when they ask to attend his practices.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/28/15 5:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

Last edited by tfan on 02/28/15 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 02/28/15 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
tfan wrote:
I dislike the fact that they get the best players out of high school and then when they dominate the coach gets lauded and lionized and the players have praise heaped on them as if they came out of the starting gate equal to the other top 25 teams or top 10 teams, but through determination, intelligence, hard work and fantastic strategy and techniques, were able to get a leg up on the competition.

No doubt about it. Getting the recruits is a huge plus. But other teams get them too. And often they are the consensus top class in the country. I think your reference to the thought of "determination, intelligence, hard work and fantastic strategy" etc. is a little overblown. Give Geno and the coaching staff a little credit. Many coaches do. I think it says something when they ask to attend his practices.

I don't think they get talent equivalent to UConn. Or when they do, as in the case of Tennesse with Holdsclaw and Catchings or with Parker and 3 or 4 other future pros, they win too. The plurality of USA Basketball U16 and U18 players go to UConn and the plurality of starters on those teams. USA Basketball players should always be factored in when looking at recruits because there is a dropoff between the best McDonald's all-American and the 24th, but people will lump them all together. I see it the same as lumping all the players in the first two rounds of the WNBA draft the same. Britney Griner, Elena Delle Donne ... down to Anna Prins, Chucky Jeffery.

I also think recruiting classes is a misleading thing to look at because only 7 or 8 players play in any year and they come out of 4 different classes. To judge talent correctly you need to rate the last 4 years of recruiting classes combined. If UConn has Maya Moore and Tina Charles - both national players of the year in high school - and 4 other future WNBA players and 2 more McDonalds All-Americans, I don't care if some year Duke or Tennesee was called the #1 recruiting class, unless they have a couple national players of the year, just for starters, they don't have equivalent talent.

I am sure Auriemma is a good coach, but I don't see it as the long pole in the tent. That is, it isn't the reason they can win 39 games in a row and never play a close game. Or why they win 8 titles in 15 years.

Without doing analysis, Auriemma should probably get credit for his selections out of high school. That is, he may be selecting players and passing on others in a very good way.

Last edited by tfan on 02/28/15 5:49 am; edited 6 times in total
CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/28/15 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
tfan wrote:

Well, part of the problem with the perception of this is that when a team does beat UConn without all the huge talent advantages (maybe one or two star players, but not the total depth), the response is often about how the team was "lucky" or the refs helped, or the team was "flopping."

Yes, there are some UConn fans who give props to opposing teams who do well against UConn, but the response by many to, say, ND's strong streak against UConn, isn't usually to give credit to ND. The response is usually "Oh yeah? How many NCs do you have? Well that's all that counts!" or "We won the only games that really counted, in the years we won the NCs." Apparently ND beating UConn in Final Four games (when a NC is actually on the line), but not winning NCs don't count.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 02/28/15 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
tfan wrote:

Well, part of the problem with the perception of this is that when a team does beat UConn without all the huge talent advantages (maybe one or two star players, but not the total depth), the response is often about how the team was "lucky" or the refs helped, or the team was "flopping."

Yes, there are some UConn fans who give props to opposing teams who do well against UConn, but the response by many to, say, ND's strong streak against UConn, isn't usually to give credit to ND. The response is usually "Oh yeah? How many NCs do you have? Well that's all that counts!" or "We won the only games that really counted, in the years we won the NCs." Apparently ND beating UConn in Final Four games (when a NC is actually on the line), but not winning NCs don't count.

I know "many" UCONN fans and that is not their response. Ever. More likely what you are hearing from your "many" is really from your "some", and that "some" is really a very few over and over again on a message board. And some of those few are just pulling C. Biebel's chain.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/28/15 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladies and germs, I present CBiebel, in his own write:

after Louisville's dramatic upset of defending champ and 2013 tournament heavy favorite Baylor, who ND (winner of 7 of 8 v CT) would face if both advanced to the NC:

CBiebel:
"Thank you Jeff...
If I ever meet you in person, I'll buy you a drink. ''

after Griner and EDD were eliminated from the tournament
CBiebel:
"One to see...
I guess now there is only one of the "Three to see" for ESPN to concentrate on.

Great if you're a ND fan.

Sucks to be the rest of you... "

after the Baylor loss, this classic "be careful what you wish for"
CBiebel:
"I wouldn't mind seeing Louisville make the NC game."

after ND rallied to beat Duke in the E8, despite trailing at the half:
CBiebel:
"Worst result for UConn...
Think about this. UConn is very confident. They've "made changes" and won against lesser teams.

ND had a hard fought game where they played like crap in the 1st half. That made them angry and feeling like they need to work harder.

The best thing for UConn would have been if ND had completely blown Duke out of the water and made ND overconfident. Now ND is feeling like they need to work harder to make sure that they win the NC."

in reply to a poster worried CT would win the NC
heal09:
"uconn will get their 8.
as much as i hate to see this."
April 2 2013, 11:52 PM

CBiebel:
"What, eighth loss to Diggins?" Smile

speculating that UConn had no chance if favored vs ND
CBiebel:
"I really hope that UConn would be favored. If they were, that would be the last nail in the coffin for them..."
April 3 2013, 12:31 AM

the result
April 7, 2013
UConn 83
ND 65

These are the facts of the case.

And they are undisputed. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/03/15 1:02 pm    ::: Re: What do you dislike most about UConn WCBB? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
More than a few people express negative emotions about UConn. For those who are in this category--even UConn fans for any reason--select the option that best characterizes what you dislike most, or that annoys you most, or that makes you feel the most negative about the UConn program.

Most assuredly most of UCONN fans on the internet are the answer. UCONN's success irritates me because they really highlight how poorly coached the other WCBB teams are. ND and Stanford are coached very well and their wins against UCONN show it.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 03/05/15 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I dislike most about the Ucon program is that more WBB coaches don't emulate it. Many teams have players just as athletic as Ucon but are underdeveloped.
1. Teach players to shoot with an arc so the ball has a chance to go through the hoop. So frustrating to see low trajectory shots that don't have a chance. That skill is teachable. Practice is the common denominator for all great players.
2. Teach players how to pass the ball from above the head with both hands with zing on it into receivers who are ready and eager to receive the ball. UCON scores consistently using 8 or fewer bounces from inbound to basket. Strength training in hands, arms, shoulders and core is the key.
3. Demand players take the ball to the basket with the intent to score even if fouled. You pass up an open shot and you are out of the game. You wuss-you sit.
4. Make your free throws.
5. Move without the ball.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/05/15 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but it seems it's still going, so what the heck.

I used to dislike Geno, but he's grown on me, and I've come to understand that a fair amount of what he does that might seem annoying is strategic, which kind of impresses me.

I picked the one about fans in person. I find it hard to be annoyed by people on the Internet where nobody knows you're a dog. In person, though, some fans just get on your nerves. This is not true of all UConn fans, or a majority or even a big minority, but there's a definite group that wants to be clear about how much better their team is than everyone else's, or how much better Geno is than any other coach. The sort of ur-example of this comes from after one of their national championships, when I was changing planes on the way back from the Final Four and ran into some fans in UConn regalia. I congratulated them, and one of them said to me, and I quote, "They should have won by more," as if the team hadn't sufficiently demonstrated its vast superiority. Those fans get on my nerves.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/05/15 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
tfan wrote:

I know "many" UCONN fans and that is not their response. Ever. More likely what you are hearing from your "many" is really from your "some", and that "some" is really a very few over and over again on a message board. And some of those few are just pulling C. Biebel's chain.

I am proud to say Homy is one of the UConn fans I met in person who epitomizes being a great fan online and in person, with an absence of superiority over other teams or fans of other teams.

As I stated previously, UConn fans in person have been uniformly kind and respectful towards me - even when I "acted a fool" when my team beat them on the last second shot. As stunned UConn fans shuffled past me, I heard "congratulations" over and over and over. And, by "acting a foot" I mean I don't know how CamCrz retained his hearing after listening to my screaming over his phone. Perhaps he was holding his phone at least a yard from his ear?

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: