RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What do you dislike most about UConn WCBB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of these do you dislike most about UConn WCBB?
The success of the program
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
The UConn players
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Geno Auriemma
25%
 25%  [ 12 ]
UConn fan behavior you've encountered in person
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
UConn fan behavior you've encountered on the internet
51%
 51%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 47

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/23/15 1:17 am    ::: What do you dislike most about UConn WCBB? Reply Reply with quote

More than a few people express negative emotions about UConn. For those who are in this category--even UConn fans for any reason--select the option that best characterizes what you dislike most, or that annoys you most, or that makes you feel the most negative about the UConn program.
Beemer

PostPosted: 02/23/15 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought there would be at least 10 pages of responses by now Laughing

PostPosted: 02/23/15 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many of us might not want to detail the kind of...I hesitate to use the word "abuse", perhaps "denigration" would suffice although it does not seem right either...that we have received from certain kinds of UConn "fanatics". Many UConn fans are polite and reasonable, although devoted to their team which is perfectly fine. We have numerous examples of that type here. Others, well, all teams have them, I know. I'm not excusing those from my own corner either. However, the rise of the internet seemed to give the UConn fanatics more leverage.

PostPosted: 02/23/15 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of the above? Wink

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/23/15 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say both fan behaviors....but I voted in person but I WILL say the fans have done a great job getting rid of some of the riffraff from the days of the height of the RU Uconn rivalry (Which was UGLY) still never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression....but will say the internet is worse than in the stands these days and the fans deserve much respect for that

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/23/15 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
All of the above? Wink

The fact that some UConn fans make a seemingly endless number of threads about their team? Or that they make every thread become a thread about UConn?

Because of threads like this one.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/23/15 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
All of the above? Wink

The fact that some UConn fans make a seemingly endless number of threads about their team? Or that they make every thread become a thread about UConn?

It's really not rocket science. Fans like you who seem to have an infinite amount of time on their hands keep posting and posting and posting about virtually nothing sometimes. It's like you need to have a giant neon sign blinking over your head "I'm a fan of the greatest program on earth. Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!"

Hope I'm being clear about how I feel. Shocked

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/23/15 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
All of the above? Wink

It's really not rocket science. Fans like you who seem to have an infinite amount of time on their hands keep posting and posting and posting about virtually nothing sometimes. It's like you need to have a giant neon sign blinking over your head "I'm a fan of the greatest program on earth. Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!"

I really have to add that my in person encounters with UConn fans have been 1000% positive. UConn fans have been kind, generous and gracious even as my exhuberant self danced on the Husky mascot on the day Duke beat them in Hartford. They may have thought I had a death wish as the Coach's Sportsbar was chock full of Husky fans at the time.

My issues are very clearly about some Husky fans on the internet.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/23/15 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
All of the above? Wink

I really have to add that my in person encounters with UConn fans have been 1000% positive. UConn fans have been kind, generous and gracious even as my exhuberant self danced on the Husky mascot on the day Duke beat them in Hartford. They may have thought I had a death wish as the Coach's Sportsbar was chock full of Husky fans at the time.

Aren't you glad you asked?

~rAf
btharner

PostPosted: 02/23/15 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, has any UConn fan here actually attended a UConn home game, pre-Geno? I'm not insinuating that all Connecticut fans are bandwagon jumpers (many teams have developed rabid followings from nothing). I just wonder if there is anybody whose fandom pre-dates the team's phenomenal success.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 02/23/15 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

btharner wrote:
Just out of curiosity, has any UConn fan here actually attended a UConn home game, pre-Geno? I'm not insinuating that all Connecticut fans are bandwagon jumpers (many teams have developed rabid followings from nothing). I just wonder if there is anybody whose fandom pre-dates the team's phenomenal success.

I did. But not on a steady basis. The best thing about the UCONN team pre Geno (and in his early years) was that they were wearing short shorts. That the games were free didn't hurt either.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/23/15 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted Geno simply because I find him annoying, but I also have to agree that the thing that really bugs me the most is UConn fans hijacking threads that had nothing to do with the UConn program. So I guess I should have checked internet behavior, but I thought that meant being abusive.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 02/23/15 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.theonion.com/articles/you-will-suffer-humiliation-when-the-sports-team-f,10804/

Besides the attitudes parodied in the above article, there's also the attitude "the team in sport X that I am a fan of is superior to the team you are a fan of; therefore my own expertise and authority in sport X (not to mention everything else) is superior to yours."

SueFavor

PostPosted: 02/24/15 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
All of the above? Wink

Yes, that.

UConn isn't that important. No team is.

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/24/15 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
All of the above? Wink

You DO realize that dance jinxed your beloved Debils, right?

'04: lost E8 as #1 to #7
'05: lost E8
'06: Toliver
'07: lost S16 as #1 (Harding at the line)

JPM arrives

'08: lost S16
'09: lost in R2 as #1 to #9 Mich. St.
'10: lost in E8 as #2 to #4
'11: lost in E8
'12: lost in E8
'13: lost in E8
'14: lost in R2 as #2 to #7

The only way to undo the voodoo is to dance on that same floor should UConn win another NC. Cool

PostPosted: 02/25/15 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The purpose of this poll is obviously not to induce people who have no dislikes of any kind toward the UConn program to say something negative about that program. The purpose is to tease out the specific reasons from those people who already do have negative feelings.

Why is that of interest? Because I've been posting on most boards for 15 years, and many UConn internet fans overwhelmingly offer one particular reason to explain the negative feelings by other fans toward UConn: jealousy and envy of UConn's success. The haters hate UConn because they're green with envy.

I've never believed that. I've always thought that internet fans of other programs, and even many fans of UConn, are strongly put off by the internet behavior of a certain group or type of UConn fans.

This poll confirms that result, with dislike of Geno Auriemma coming in second.

The first option in this poll was my surrogate for envy or jealousy. Only three responders confessed to that emotion. In Linkster's UConn admiration poll, UConn's success is the second thing most admired.

So, my conclusion from these modest polls is that negative feelings about UConn are motivated mostly by the internet behavior of UConn fans and very little by envy or jealousy of UConn's success.

Nevertheless, the poll on UConn domination shows that about half the fans here have a lessened interest in WCBB because of UConn's success.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/25/15 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The purpose of this poll is obviously not to induce people who have no dislikes of any kind toward the UConn program to say something negative about that program. The purpose is to tease out the specific reasons from those people who already do have negative feelings.

Why is that of interest? Because I've been posting on most boards for 15 years, and many UConn internet fans overwhelmingly offer one particular reason to explain the negative feelings by other fans toward UConn: jealousy and envy of UConn's success. The haters hate UConn because they're green with envy.

I've never believed that. I've always thought that internet fans of other programs, and even many fans of UConn, are strongly put off by the internet behavior of a certain group or type of UConn fans.

The first option in this poll was my surrogate for envy or jealousy. Only three responders confessed to that emotion. In Linkster's UConn admiration poll, UConn's success is the second thing most admired.

So, my conclusion from these modest polls is that negative feelings about UConn are motivated mostly by the internet behavior of UConn fans and very little by envy or jealousy of UConn's success.

Nevertheless, the poll on UConn domination shows that about half the fans here have a lessened interest in WCBB because of UConn's success.

I think I was pretty specific. Despite the overwhelmingly positive personal experiences with UConn fans, the online self obsession some have is a BIG turn off. Even in this thread, I engaged in fun banter with a UConn fan I met in person.

Will this poll change one thing? Will be continue to be inundated with every Husky minutiae that some fan finds interesting? Will every thread continue to be turned into a "my Huskies are dominant" thread? Will you start another thread to talk about this thread?

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 02/25/15 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

..... many UConn internet fans overwhelmingly offer one particular reason to explain the negative feelings by other fans toward UConn: jealousy and envy of UConn's success. The haters hate UConn because they're green with envy.

The fly in your ointment is that you assume that everyone is being honest in their replies, both to the poll and to themselves.

I doubt anyone is eager to admit to petty envy and/or jealousy, even to themselves. I'm reasonably sure there are a lot of people who voted against Obama simply because he is black. I doubt a poll would reflect that.

If, at the end of the 1998 season you were to ask me what I disliked about the Tenn program my first choice would have been their fans and my second choice would have been Pat. In reality it was the fact that they had just completed the threepeat.

If the poll question had been what one dislikes about wcbb message boards your conclusion would have validity. There is also the question of the magnitude of the dislike. I've encountered wcbb fans who love 95% of the UConn program. Their level of "dislike" would be entirely different from say, one of those LV fans who are convinced that Geno is somewhere between Caligula and Jack the Ripper on the "evil" scale.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/25/15 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I think I was pretty specific. Despite the overwhelmingly positive personal experiences with UConn fans, the online self obsession some have is a BIG turn off. Even in this thread, I engaged in fun banter with a UConn fan I met in person.

Will this poll change one thing? Will be continue to be inundated with every Husky minutiae that some fan finds interesting? Will every thread continue to be turned into a "my Huskies are dominant" thread? Will you start another thread to talk about this thread?

RAF, are you addressing me, because I wasn't responding to anything you said at all. I was just explaining my purpose for this poll and summarizing the results.

I don't expect this thread to "change" anything. It was just a poll seeking information.

If you expect UConn fans, who are the majority or plurality on most forums, to stop posting on the subject of UConn, that's an unreasonable and even irrational expectation.

If you expect UConn fans to post with respect for other posters, and without arrogance, condescension, personal insult or the trolling of other programs, that is a reasonable expectation. But don't hold your breath.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/25/15 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am on another board which is dominated by UConn fans and which some are determined to turn into a real UConn homer board. I've been there since it formed as an outgrowth of a now defunct board. Some UConn fans from here are also on that board and they are just as nice there as they are here. Unfortunately not all are. Recently there was an entire thread on that board devoted to one poster's wailings over how he was dismissed from RebKell "because he was too much of a UConn fan". Since he can be one of the more obnoxious folk there I seriously doubt that was the case. I can deal with the homerism, but not the outright nastiness, and I am seriously considering any further participation there. There are some others who are fans of other teams, but we are in the minority. I don't mind that, either. What I do mind is the overwhelming arrogance and the air of superiority, as well as the nastiness that some try to pas off as "humor". That's the kind of thing that has really soured me on UConn WBB.

Do I think Geno is a good coach? Of course I do. Do I think he's arrogant. Yep. Do I dislike him? Nah. Why would I? Am I envious? Sure, but only mildly. I have lived long enough to know that nothing lasts forever and everything is cyclical. Enjoy it while you got it, Husky fans, one day you'll be just like the rest of us.....believe it or not. It could happen 10 years from now, or in the blink of an eye.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn fans, on a face-to-face individual basis, or on a web-based individual basis given sufficient time, are fine- fans like any other, except with a lot to boast about. Faceless UConn fans are obnoxious shits. UConn fans as a faceless mass in person are like a fungus, spreading to fill all available space and choking out anything or anyone else in the area.

Admittedly, some of it is dependent on the opponent. I have had a much more pleasant time dealing with UConn fans after becoming a St. John's fan than I did as a Rutgers fan.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I am on another board which is dominated by UConn fans

The good news is that there may not be as many as you think, because -- and this is the bad news -- one guy there has a long history of posting under multiple screen names and "personalities", sometimes posing as different genders and as a fan of other teams. In the past, he would even argue with himself using his different screen names. I don't know about currently because I don't post on that board any more.

Multiple screen name abuse has been a significant factor in poisoning the authenticity of more than one board, and I certainly hope it's not allowed here. This issue, of course, can relate to poster fans of any team.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
UConn fans as a faceless mass in person are like a fungus, spreading to fill all available space and choking out anything or anyone else in the area.

Admittedly, some of it is dependent on the opponent. I have had a much more pleasant time dealing with UConn fans after becoming a St. John's fan than I did as a Rutgers fan.

I'm not sure I understand all this or the psycho-dynamics involved. However, given that neither Rutgers nor St. John's is an opponent of UConn anymore, you will probably have to become a fan of the University of Tulsa if you want to continue frolicking in the fungi.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I am on another board which is dominated by UConn fans

The good news is that there may not be as many as you think, because -- and this is the bad news -- one guy there has a long history of posting under multiple screen names and "personalities", sometimes posing as different genders and as a fan of other teams. In the past, he would even argue with himself using his different screen names. I don't know about currently because I don't post on that board any more.

Multiple screen name abuse has been a significant factor in poisoning the authenticity of more than one board, and I certainly hope it's not allowed here. This issue, of course, can relate to poster fans of any team.

That one's just arrogant and crazy, not so much nasty. The nastiness comes from a few others, one in particular who thinks his status as a UConn blogger gives him some kind of right to be ugly to anyone who disagrees with him. It used to be a reasonably fun place, even being much in the minority. No more.

I don't participate on any homer boards of my own team either. Can't stand 'em. I used to post on one, but I got tired of the fans who were never, ever satisfied with anything. Nothing was EVER good enough for those miserable types. A little criticism now and then is one thing, but constant bitching and whining....*smdh*

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

..... many UConn internet fans overwhelmingly offer one particular reason to explain the negative feelings by other fans toward UConn: jealousy and envy of UConn's success. The haters hate UConn because they're green with envy.

The fly in your ointment is that you assume that everyone is being honest in their replies, both to the poll and to themselves.

I doubt anyone is eager to admit to petty envy and/or jealousy, even to themselves.

So your interpretation of the anonymous poll results on this very pluralistic discussion board is that the people who say they dislike UConn because of (quoting Queenie) "obnoxious shit" behavior by UConn fans are actually suffused by a form of mental self-denial. These RebKellers don't recognize their unconscious paranoia of UConn envy.

Well, I fully agree with you, Linkster, that there's a group of WCBB fans on the internet suffused with a profound, if not paranoid, form of mental self-denial. As I said, that's why I took the poll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: