RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

McDonalds AA game rosters announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FS02

PostPosted: 01/30/15 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Did I count this right? Looks like only 6 of the 24 All Americans are going to college in their home state. So much for instate advantage.

If more state schools would hire good coaches and get good programs going it would help with the parity.

PostPosted: 01/31/15 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I just noticed that another school missing from the game is Stanford, and on checking further it appears they have no top 40 recruits for 2015.

Stanford needs a talent infusion to keep up even in the PAC, not to mention nationally, and one 5'7" guard in two years (Wilson 2016) isn't going to cut it. Are they the likely destination for any other top 2016 recruits? If not, what's going on there?

I would say this year (2015) was a huge blow to Stanford. Losing KLS was huge. She submitted an app and was accepted (as did both of the younger Ogwumike). And at one time, it seemed that Stanford was in the lead for Kyra Lambert as well.

Unfortunately, the only top player I think that has Stanford in their list for 2016 is Natalie Chou. Dijonai Carrington also has Stanford on her list (shes ranked in the 30's-40's by most services, has a 4.2 gpa?). I do expect Carrington's stock to rise. She's coming off an ACL, but was highly rated as a freshman. From what I have seen, she is as good/comparable to the other 2016 CA wings in Odom, Higgins and Brown.

I agree that they need land top recruits to win championships, however we've seen teams compete (and win) without having loaded roster. The first Baylor championship team (lead by Sophia Young) didn't have any HS AA (iirc), and I'm pretty sure no one on the A&M roster at that time were highly recruited out of HS. Also look at Oregon State. They only have 3 players rated in the Top 100 coming out of HS on their roster (Weisner #41, Wiese #80, Seigner #91). Although its very hard, its not impossible to compete at a high level. Plus, Stanford usually is able to find those under the radar type players. Lili Thompson was not rated in the Top 100 by any service. Kaylee Johnson has also exceeded expectations (you can add Toni Kokenis as well). Maybe one of recruits next year will be a surprise.

On a side note, Erica Ogwumike has a very good chance to be named the Texas Gatorade POY. Cy-Woods is nationally ranked (best team in Texas), and she is by far the best player on the team, while putting up excellent stats. When was the last time a player won POY and yet 4 other players from the same state were name McD AA?

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/31/15 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford is supposed to be getting a top Aussie post at least. Other than Orrange and Bonnie S., most of the useful part of the team is Frosh or Soph so it's not all that bleak. We have to hope one or two of the posts progress enough to be useful and will have Roberson, Thompson and Karlie S for two more years. I have hopes McPhee and maybe Rooks will be able to contribute as well. But yeah, at some point, we need an infusion of top talent or the scene will get bleaker.

- Amanda Gorman
GEF34

PostPosted: 01/31/15 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stanford is supposed to be getting a top Aussie post at least. Other than Orrange and Bonnie S., most of the useful part of the team is Frosh or Soph so it's not all that bleak. We have to hope one or two of the posts progress enough to be useful and will have Roberson, Thompson and Karlie S for two more years. I have hopes McPhee and maybe Rooks will be able to contribute as well. But yeah, at some point, we need an infusion of top talent or the scene will get bleaker.

Of course talent plays a big part, but as long as Stanford is getting players who fill the roles they need and with implementing a new offense this season, the players are still learning and it's not really known what direction Tara VanDerveer and staff plan on taking the team, do the plan on keeping the same offense or do they plan to move back to the old offense, especially if the post player coming in is a good back to the basket type of player.

It will be interesting to see how Stanford's players develop, and if they plan on continuing with the new offense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: