RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

State of Oregon: Hoops hotbed again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 01/23/15 5:28 pm    ::: State of Oregon: Hoops hotbed again Reply Reply with quote

Good to see Oregon State getting some love, they are a Final 4 contender in my opinion. Although Oregon did hire Graves, I don't know if just hiring him is enough to include UO in this article about the revival of Oregon hoops. Maybe they will be good, but I've seen many a coach jump up in level and have trouble, main reason is recruiting. We will see if UO can recruit against the top PAC12 teams but now it is a little tougher given what Rueck has built in Corvalis, plus the resurgence of ASU.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12215329/oregon-state-beavers-oregon-ducks-put-state-oregon-back-hoops-map

Jdub

PostPosted: 01/23/15 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In recent years Oregon's best High School players have left the state to play basketball. The Schimmels to Louisville. Russell, Reynolds and Nared to Tenn. Jen Reese to Colorado... Hopefully with OSU's success and the changes at Oregon, they will start staying closer to home.

FS02

PostPosted: 01/23/15 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We know Graves is a good coach, and Oregon has the resources so it should be a slam dunk.

But it might take time because it is also true that the Pac NW has a lot of good programs fighting over a limited pool of talent. It's not like being in California... I think that is why you see WSU with a half dozen international players and some of the Oregon and Washington mid-major teams really struggling to field a competitive squad right now.

PostPosted: 01/24/15 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed in the last two games I watched (OR State and AZ State) that, although the Ducks lost, Graves seems to have taken the hobbles off the Duck's offense. I think his over emphasis on defense and determination to take the run and gun out of their game had really hurt this team.

The players still look unenthused, body language is slumped and droopy most of the time, but I could see them perk up when they sped up their offense. Other than Jillian Alleyne, I have no idea who provides any identity for this team.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/24/15 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
We know Graves is a good coach, and Oregon has the resources so it should be a slam dunk.

But it might take time because it is also true that the Pac NW has a lot of good programs fighting over a limited pool of talent. It's not like being in California... I think that is why you see WSU with a half dozen international players and some of the Oregon and Washington mid-major teams really struggling to field a competitive squad right now.

I think Graves will reach down into California. The Duck brand is huge. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pulling in some top kids from Cali.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 01/24/15 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:

There are 297 high schools in Oregon with a girls basketball team.
There are 1508 high schools in California with a girls basketball team.

http://www.maxpreps.com/search/school.aspx?gendersport=girls%2Cbasketball&state=ca

Jdub

PostPosted: 01/24/15 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are also 24 D1 schools in CA compared to 4 in OR. So there is plenty of recruiting competition.

SueFavor

PostPosted: 01/25/15 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When the coach is good, the players come. I hope you have not forgotten how successful Graves was at Gonzaga. The roster his last year there is representative of how he recruited, as about half are from other parts besides the Northwest:

http://www.gozags.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=627538&SPID=90847&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=26400&Q_SEASON=2013

Check out Scott Rueck's roster, which has a similar make up:

http://www.osubeavers.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=30800&SPID=127161&SPSID=750196

Oregon isn't a hotbed for hoops yet, but it will be soon.

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 01/25/15 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone please wake me. When was the LAST time that Oregon was a hoops hotspot?

All entries will be considered.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/25/15 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is the person was talking about high school hoops when there were several top high school programs (mostly in the Portland/Beaverton region) such as Oregon City, Beaverton, Southridge, Lakeridge, Jesuit, Clackamas, etc.

They were producing some top talent that was being recruited by everybody.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/25/15 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although the voting for the McDonald's All American Team doesn't have to be an accurate indicator, as almost any player can be nominated by a coach or AD, the state of Oregon had 25 nominee's this year, while the state of California had 17. That number is way out of the norm considering the difference in the numbers in players and schools in both states pools.............or is it really true?

stever

PostPosted: 01/25/15 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YourCrimsonNightmare wrote:
Someone please wake me. When was the LAST time that Oregon was a hoops hotspot?

All entries will be considered.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/7985486/former-oregon-coach-jody-runge-get-second-chance-espn-magazine

Quote:
In each of her eight seasons at the University of Oregon, from 1993-94 to 2000-01, Runge led the Ducks to the NCAA tournament. She won two Pac-10 titles and 69 percent of her games.

SueFavor

PostPosted: 01/25/15 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, stever, for pointing out the obvious.

Oregon was also one of the teams in the first women's NCAA Tournament in 1982 - the event that got me into the game. They continued to have success throughout the 80s.

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/25/15 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to re-open the Jody Runge debate, but it wasn't purely 'the power women' vs 'the male biased administration' as portrayed in that article. It's a nice story line, but... She was known as a good administrator and fund raiser and spent a lot of time talking at luncheons, but the girls on her team mostly credited the assistant coach - think his name was something like Litzenbuger - with their success. One of the players I spoke with said they pretty much only saw Runge at games and that Litz ran all the practices and strategy sessions.

- Amanda Gorman
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/26/15 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rueck's team will be even deeper next season with the addition of McWilliams kid out of South Salem. A tall shooting guard with a penchant for scoring.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/26/15 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OSU jUNIOR Jamie Weisner named ESPNW player of the week.

http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30800&ATCLID=209864687

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: