RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Could This Be a Letter to Taya Reimer???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:22 pm    ::: Could This Be a Letter to Taya Reimer??? Reply Reply with quote

Is the timing just a coincidence?

http://ndsmcobserver.com/2015/01/hearing-might-transfer/

First read about it here:

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/more-than-100-notre-dame-professors-speak-out-about-racism/30870158

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:35 pm    ::: Re: Could This Be a Letter to Taya Reimer??? Reply Reply with quote

Unless you have some reason to know it is, that's really irresponsible of you to link the two.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 01/22/15 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is your problem?

With every thing I post?

Are you just an ass or did you have to work at it?

There is nothing wrong with linking them. It's perfectly natural to question it. I thought that it was a nice letter regardless.

And nobody put you in charge of deciding what is irresponsible and what isn't. So until they do, lay off!!!!!!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So when this unfounded and hurtful rumour makes its round of the internet, we'll all know exactly where it started.

Learn the value of the unexpressed thought.

I deleted the quote of your post from my reply hoping you'll have enough class to delete the text of your original post.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/23/15 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's nothing there that hasn't been on the internet already.

And if you don't think that Taya was thinking about transferring, you more naïve than you are anything else. Or you're deep in the program and trying to cover something. Which is it?

I'm thinking that someone doth protest too much.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/23/15 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This Is Rebkell People Are Free To Speculate Here Unfortunately. Wether Others Agree Or Not This Is Not Even Close To Half Of The Horrible Rumors Ive Seen Sprout From Here

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The letter is wonderful---deeply caring of the student(s) to whom it is addressed. It's the kind of action that makes me feel more heartened about education in North America (of course the racism that prompted the letter is incredibly disheartening Sad).

It is only speculation that the letter might be addressed specifically to Reimer. The speculation might be gossipy, but it doesn't come across (at least not to this outsider) as unkind.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/23/15 12:51 pm    ::: Re: Could This Be a Letter to Taya Reimer??? Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Unless you have some reason to know it is, that's really irresponsible of you to link the two.

I see no wrong done by ex-ref.

It's logical to wonder if the writing of that letter of support was motivated by the Reimer scenario.

No harm no foul, imo.

If anything, it reflects positively on ND.

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, maybe I feel differently about it because an alum I care about the university and its students. The letter is terrific. But if the letter writers or the student involved had wanted the student's name to be known, they would have identified the person. Otherwise, that person is entitled to confidentiality and privacy.

We don't know if this is about an athlete at all, or even whether it's about a man or a woman. It's not like there probably aren't multiple students at any given time considering transferring. It happens all the time at every school. With no factual predicate, I personally consider it highly irresponsible to throw out one well-known individual's name and infer that person considered transferring because of being subject to racism and that the professors' letter is about them.

It's not "logical" at all, and in my view it's simply not right.

What would you think if I made a post asking whether some specific UConn player was considering transferring because she had been receiving hate mail and slurs of some sort? Of course it would be completely fictitious and wrong to imply as much, but it would have every bit as much factual foundation as the OP's post, and I would expect every UConn fan to be outraged by such irresponsible rumor mongering.

Until such time as the student chooses to have their name made public, starting rumors about who it is just is not something I consider at all appropriate.

BTW, the letter itself makes clear that this was not about comments targeting a single student. It says

"We were told you and other students received several racist messages on Yik Yak, the social media app that allows people to post anonymous messages for others to read. We don’t subscribe to Yik Yak, but one of our students shared one of the messages you saw."

New2UConn03

PostPosted: 01/24/15 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a long time member here. I don't think I have ever posted.

Racism is alive and well in this good Ole US of A.

Kudos to those professors. Clearly the results expressed by those few students interviewed on the video indicate that leaders in all walks of life would do well to replicate that message frequently.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/24/15 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Well, maybe I feel differently about it because an alum I care about the university and its students. The letter is terrific. But if the letter writers or the student involved had wanted the student's name to be known, they would have identified the person. Otherwise, that person is entitled to confidentiality and privacy.

We don't know if this is about an athlete at all, or even whether it's about a man or a woman. It's not like there probably aren't multiple students at any given time considering transferring. It happens all the time at every school. With no factual predicate, I personally consider it highly irresponsible to throw out one well-known individual's name and infer that person considered transferring because of being subject to racism and that the professors' letter is about them.

It's not "logical" at all, and in my view it's simply not right.

What would you think if I made a post asking whether some specific UConn player was considering transferring because she had been receiving hate mail and slurs of some sort? Of course it would be completely fictitious and wrong to imply as much, but it would have every bit as much factual foundation as the OP's post, and I would expect every UConn fan to be outraged by such irresponsible rumor mongering.

Until such time as the student chooses to have their name made public, starting rumors about who it is just is not something I consider at all appropriate.

BTW, the letter itself makes clear that this was not about comments targeting a single student. It says

"We were told you and other students received several racist messages on Yik Yak, the social media app that allows people to post anonymous messages for others to read. We don’t subscribe to Yik Yak, but one of our students shared one of the messages you saw."

You are entitled to your opinion.

PostPosted: 01/24/15 11:37 am    ::: Re: Could This Be a Letter to Taya Reimer??? Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

If anything, it reflects positively on ND.

I thought so too. Actually, it did make me think of Reimer, because the gesture of the letter, as a call-out against injustice and a show of compassion for the victim of that injustice, seemed to me not unlike wearing an "I Can't Breathe" shirt before a game.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 01/24/15 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to the site of the letter and also read the comments, many from ND alumnae who had also experienced or witnessed racist treatment.
http://ndsmcobserver.com/2015/01/hearing-might-transfer/

This article has some general comments from McGraw regarding Reimer's absence related to their loss to Miami. http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notre-dame-forward-taya-reimer-is-back-but-are-the/article_f1ce6196-99ef-11e4-ab8a-430ecfd6bd38.html

I believe that although we don't know if this was about Taya Reimer, it could have been. Good news in her performance against GA Tech.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/24/15 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deleted

It's pointless to try. Never mind.

Trev-E

PostPosted: 01/24/15 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Deleted

Yeah. Nevermind Gary

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/24/15 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trev-E wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Deleted

Yeah. Nevermind Gary

Just as an FYI, we do have a board policy here about not calling posters by real names, even if you do know who they are (and double if you don't). Who you are on Reb's is who you are on Reb's and that's all there is (unless there is REALLY serious baggage attached, I suppose, if someone is, like, plotting to blow up a building or is an interstate sex offender, that kind of thing, and NO, KIDS, that does not mean start any rumors about anyone here that way, don't even think about it).

Heck, my husband's a Board Junkie and I don't call him by his real name on the boards.

PostPosted: 01/24/15 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's logical to infer that the letter was composed either (a) for a very well-known potential transferee such as a sports star, or (b) because a large group of students "of color" received hate mail and made it widely known within Notre Dame that they were all thinking of transferring.

What other scenarios could have mobilized and motivated 150 professors, one of whom is teacher of First Year Studies, to write such a letter? I doubt that such an effort would have been organized and mounted for one non-athlete student, probably a freshman, in the English department, for example.

Queenie wrote:

Heck, my husband's a Board Junkie and I don't call him by his real name on the boards.

I haven't seen a Kingie here recently.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/25/15 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I think it's logical to infer that the letter was composed either (a) for a very well-known potential transferee such as a sports star, or (b) because a large group of students "of color" received hate mail

I'm not sure why that's particularly "logical", but then there's a lot of strange suppositions being passed of as "logic" here. It's at least as likely (or if you want to misuse the term again, "logical") that it was simply a student in one professor's class, and that professor mobilized the larger effort. But as to the group vs single, that answer is right in the letter where it says "you and other students received several racist messages on Yik Yak".

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/25/15 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Queenie wrote:

I haven't seen a Kingie here recently.

That's because he doesn't live in Brooklyn.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/25/15 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Trev-E wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Deleted

Yeah. Nevermind Gary

Just as an FYI, we do have a board policy here about not calling posters by real names, even if you do know who they are (and double if you don't). Who you are on Reb's is who you are on Reb's and that's all there is (unless there is REALLY serious baggage attached, I suppose, if someone is, like, plotting to blow up a building or is an interstate sex offender, that kind of thing, and NO, KIDS, that does not mean start any rumors about anyone here that way, don't even think about it).

Perhaps it is time to turn some of the unwritten rules into written ones.

PostPosted: 01/25/15 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Trev-E wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Deleted

Yeah. Nevermind Gary

Perhaps it is time to turn some of the unwritten rules into written ones.

Yes please. Because I didn't see that rule written anywhere.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 01/25/15 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clearly this was written to Taya and others. I certainly dont condone calling others out by name but to say anyone should not speculate on a message board about a topic is to defeat the intent of the board.

I personally thought this was a very bad idea, the protests that is, and thought that there would be problems as this case was not cut and dried as the officers I believe were cleared of any wrong doing. To put yourself out on a national stage before the facts are all in is not very smart on a University or even as a person and if things are different than what is being portrayed then you will get back lash from whackos and sane people alike for bad judgement.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/25/15 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
Clearly this was written to Taya and others.

So now it's "clearly"?

It's getting more ridiculous by the moment. Plainly the internet is going to do what the internet does, reason, logic, and facts be damned.

I surrender.

Ironic though isn't it that speculation devoid of all facts is considered fine. But taking a stand on an incident available for all to see on video is premature.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/25/15 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Plainly the internet is going to do what the internet does, reason, logic, and facts be damned.

Um. Yeah. Exactly. People make statements. People disagree with statements. People agree with statements. People disagree with the disagreements. People disagree with the agreements. All of these things are allowable here, so long as it doesn't degenerate from attacking the idea to attacking the poster.

FWIW, I suspect that Reimer may have been the catalyst, either directly as one of the students mentioned, or indirectly by inspiring discussion that devolved into racist bullshit that other students endured.

PostPosted: 01/25/15 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Plainly the internet is going to do what the internet does, reason, logic, and facts be damned.

Um. Yeah. Exactly. People make statements. People disagree with statements. People agree with statements. People disagree with the disagreements. People disagree with the agreements. All of these things are allowable here, so long as it doesn't degenerate from attacking the idea to attacking the poster.

Thank you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: