RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fight Night in Alabama
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BallState1984

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:19 pm    ::: Fight Night in Alabama Reply Reply with quote

Kristy Curry should be so proud

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/three-players-ejected-after-punches-thrown-in-auburn-al-1681286820?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And to think I saw that game on the TV schedule and didn't bother to DVR it Crying or Very sad

So the Bama player nailed the Auburn player in the jaw with a punch. Then the Auburn player literally throws a ref onto the ground in her scramble to go after the puncher (that has to result in a suspension doesn't it?) Looks like the puncher ends up getting thrown over or through the bench chairs.

Who won the game?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:31 pm    ::: Re: Fight Night in Alabama Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Kristy Curry should be so proud

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/three-players-ejected-after-punches-thrown-in-auburn-al-1681286820?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The male official was calling a foul before the first punch was thrown by Hayden. Just noticed that the female on the baseline was also calling the foul.

Interesting that Hayden is a transfer from Baylor. Wink

And I just told someone tonight that I didn't like Kristy Curry. Laughing

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
And to think I saw that game on the TV schedule and didn't bother to DVR it Crying or Very sad

So the Bama player nailed the Auburn player in the jaw with a punch. Then the Auburn player literally throws a ref onto the ground in her scramble to go after the puncher (that has to result in a suspension doesn't it?) Looks like the puncher ends up getting thrown over or through the bench chairs.

Who won the game?

It's going to be re-broadcast at 2:00 and 11 am on DirecTV channel 649.

FS02

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Funny... I just watched the second half of that game, which was ugly, but in a different way, and they made no mention of any fracas.

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had no idea that WBB no longer played in Coleman Coliseum. Wow, what the hell?

BallState1984

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could not figure out how or where the second 'Bama player factored in. Report said two of them got the hook.

PostPosted: 01/22/15 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
I could not figure out how or where the second 'Bama player factored in. Report said two of them got the hook.

#15 Knight came flying in there as they piled into the benches. Hard to tell but it did look like she was trying to go after the Auburn player.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/23/15 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:

#15 Knight came flying in there as they piled into the benches. Hard to tell but it did look like she was trying to go after the Auburn player.

Well, you know they always say SEC ball is really physical, right? Shocked

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/23/15 2:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watching this.

Looked like a lot of arm wrestling during the free throw. Each trying to get their arms above the other.

Mohammad looked to throw a left elbow just as the ball was being released. Might have just been her normal movement of moving into the lane. Was more visible on the baseline shot and not so much on the overhead shot.

Interesting that the broadcasters are sitting near the monitor and might be able to listen in to the refs discussions.

There was a look from KC to the bench as the refs were talking to the coaches that was NOT happy. Very Happy

Another, thing that happened that got my attention was when the 'Bama player grabbed the back of the Auburn player's jersey by the armholes and pulled her backward.*

*Well, it turns out that this is the third ejection. Knight (#15) is the third on ejected. She was on the court, just to the right of the shooter. She had he block out on the shooter.

Looking at it again, it might be because she jumped into the ref as she first joined the fight. More than her restraining of the Auburn player.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/23/15 3:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:

Should have read this first. Very Happy It would have saved me about 30 minutes of watching, and backing up, the replay. Laughing

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 01/23/15 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, that's going to bring some suspensions...
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/23/15 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to diminish what happened, but it's interesting the impression that youtubes and ESPN highlights can create. Those are all I saw last night, and it looked like the incident and the sideline scrum went on for a while. But I recorded the replay overnight and looking at it this morning in real time, the entire incident from start to finish, lasted a very few seconds. It was over as quickly as it started. On the other hand it took nearly twenty minutes for the officials to sort it out and make the ejections.

But there were some real swings taken. And from a punishment standpoint it's probably at least as important that all three ejecting ed players put their hands on and shoved a referee. One ref ended up on the floor from being pushed out of the way by the two primary combatants. Then the other ejected Bama player shoved a ref out of the way in order to grab the Auburn player. Touching a ref is a big no no.

It looked to me like the Auburn player Muhammed seemed quiet and upset as she waited for the ruling. And she was getting a serious lecture from her coach. The Bama player Hayden seemed to be smiling and laughing with her teammates and waved to the crowd on her way out the door.

I also couldn't figure out what was going on in the long conclave between the three refs and the two coaches. The Auburn coach stood silently listening, while Curry was doing a lot of talking to the refs. Don't know if she was arguing with them or what. It's not like it was a close call.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/23/15 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fortner (yeah, I know) seems to think that the contact that precipitated the whole thing was "incidental" which could very well be the case. Muhammad is taller than Hayden and in the struggle for rebound got her arm hooked around Hayden's neck....to which Hayden took exception and threw the first punch. But it's well-known that the two teams do not like each other to begin with. Auburn players seemed to be trying to calm their teammate, while Bama players just wanted to fight. Somehow that figures. This was a whole lot uglier than what happened in the Mizzou-UT game, which was basically pretty much a lot of in-your-face jawing after a rather dirty hold by a Mizzou player on Harrison (one of many and she'd had enough, thank you very much) but no punches were thrown there.

PostPosted: 01/23/15 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Fortner (yeah, I know) seems to think that the contact that precipitated the whole thing was "incidental" which could very well be the case. Muhammad is taller than Hayden and in the struggle for rebound got her arm hooked around Hayden's neck....to which Hayden took exception and threw the first punch. But it's well-known that the two teams do not like each other to begin with. Auburn players seemed to be trying to calm their teammate, while Bama players just wanted to fight. Somehow that figures. This was a whole lot uglier than what happened in the Mizzou-UT game, which was basically pretty much a lot of in-your-face jawing after a rather dirty hold by a Mizzou player on Harrison (one of many and she'd had enough, thank you very much) but no punches were thrown there.

Is Fortner the commentator in the SECN studio? Whoever it was sounded like she was almost trying to excuse or minimize the whole incident with nonsense about well you know, it's a rivalry game, and so forth, when condemnation was the only appropriate comment. There's really no excuse for what happened.

Will the SEC treat this seriously? The fight is bad enough; the shoving the officials should result in multi-game suspensions it seems to me.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 01/23/15 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's also worth considering what may have happened leading up to this sequence. Certainly, I've seen many players take worse than Hayden and not throw punches. She needs to be gone for a while.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/23/15 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Referee contact absolutely should be a multi-game suspension, with an add-on for throwing punches.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 01/23/15 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow...WCBB Thugnificence... Laughing "You do the crime, you'll have to do the time". Hope it was worth it.

Also, national media barely gives a damn about WCBB normally but if a fight breaks out, they all come out the woodworks to document, process, analyze, interview about, comment on and rehash it. JMO.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/23/15 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, wasn't Curry the coach of Texas Tech at the time of the famous Griner-Barncastle incident?

Just a coincidence? Or is there some reason why she happens to be there during famous dust-ups involving her teams?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder if there will be suspensions form multiple sources.

Team/Conf/NCAA?

Would the NCAA step back and let the teams/conf do what they do and then come in and tack on their own suspensions for the shoving of officials?

Or will they all just come together and make one lump suspension and move on?

I haven't watched the first part of the game (and probably won't), but was there any earlier contact between the two that maybe led up to this? Or was this all of it?

StevenHW

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
BTW, wasn't Curry the coach of Texas Tech at the time of the famous Griner-Barncastle incident?...[snip]...

Yes, that is correct.

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Team/Conf/NCAA?

Would the NCAA step back and let the teams/conf do what they do and then come in and tack on their own suspensions for the shoving of officials?

I haven't watched the first part of the game (and probably won't), but was there any earlier contact between the two that maybe led up to this? Or was this all of it?

Something like this typically is a conference decision. It will be up to the SEC to levy the punishments after reviewing the film, talking with the officials, the coaches. I believe a school/AD/Coach can add to it if they wish but I don't think they really ever do. Well, I shouldn't say that. A conference will come down with game suspensions but the Coach will usually have some add'l punishments, whether it be running in practice, suspension from practice, community service, study hall time, etc.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Team/Conf/NCAA?

I don't recall the NCAA suspending a player for this kind of thing. Usually the discipline is handed out by the team or conference, and the NCAA rules call for conferences or "assigning authorities" (this refers to assignments of referees, which usually are done by the conference except in the post-season) to impose penalties. However, the NCAA rules do cover the penalties for fighting and "disrespectfully contacting a refereee" (terrible wording, but that's what it says). Both are automatic ejections, but only fighting is an automatic suspension - one game for the first offense and the rest of the season for the second offense. (This is rule 10-5, if you want to look it up, and there's also a separate appendix on fight reporting procedures.) Conference officials may increase the penalty if they think it's appropriate, and can correct errors about who was in the fight, but cannot decrease it once the officials have determined there was a fight.

Also, the rules are pretty specific that a punch does not have to connect for someone to be deemed to be participating in a fight, and you can be deemed to have participated in a fight if you're the instigator, even if you don't throw any punches once it starts.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/23/15 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Team/Conf/NCAA?

I don't recall the NCAA suspending a player for this kind of thing. Usually the discipline is handed out by the team or conference, and the NCAA rules call for conferences or "assigning authorities" (this refers to assignments of referees, which usually are done by the conference except in the post-season) to impose penalties. However, the NCAA rules do cover the penalties for fighting and "disrespectfully contacting a refereee" (terrible wording, but that's what it says). Both are automatic ejections, but only fighting is an automatic suspension - one game for the first offense and the rest of the season for the second offense. (This is rule 10-5, if you want to look it up, and there's also a separate appendix on fight reporting procedures.) Conference officials may increase the penalty if they think it's appropriate, and can correct errors about who was in the fight, but cannot decrease it once the officials have determined there was a fight.

Also, the rules are pretty specific that a punch does not have to connect for someone to be deemed to be participating in a fight, and you can be deemed to have participated in a fight if you're the instigator, even if you don't throw any punches once it starts.

Thanks, PurdueFan and BeK. I was just thinking that most fights that I've seen don't involve shoving refs as much as this one did. That's where I was thinking that the NCAA might step in to send a message.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/23/15 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a good picture of the melee by the way. Is that a Bama manager in the warmups who is getting an elbow to the throat? I did have to chuckle though that while everyone else is diving in, it looks like the player in the bottom of the picture (Oceana Hamilton I believe) is thinking "I'm getting the hell out of this mess".

EDIT - you'll have to click on the link. It's just to big to embed here.

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/ap_auburn_alabama_basketball_70232978.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: