RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wooden Award Midseason Top 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/21/15 2:47 pm    ::: Wooden Award Midseason Top 20 Reply Reply with quote

Name Ht. Yr. Pos. School Conference
Jillian Alleyne 6-3 JR F Oregon Pac-12
Brittany Boyd 5-9 SR G California Pac-12
Crystal Bradford 6-0 SR G Central Michigan MAC
Nina Davis 5-11 SO F Baylor Big 12
Nneka Enemkpali 6-1 SR F Texas Big 12
Alisha Gray 6-0 SO G North Carolina ACC
Reshanda Gray 6-3 SR F California Pac-12
Dearica Hamby 6-3 SR F Wake Forest ACC
Isabelle Harrison 6-3 SR C Tennessee SEC
Bria Holmes 6-1 JR G West Virginia Big 12
Samantha Logic 5-9 SR G Iowa Big Ten
Jewell Loyd 5-10 JR G Notre Dame ACC
Tiffany Mitchell 5-9 JR G South Carolina SEC
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis 5-11 SR F Connecticut The American
Amber Orrange 5-7 SR G Stanford Pac-12
Kelsey Plum 5-8 SO G Washington Pac-12
Breanna Stewart* 6-4 JR F Connecticut The American
Courtney Walker 5-8 JR G Texas A&M SEC
Elizabeth Williams 6-3 SR C/F Duke ACC
A’ja Wilson 6-5 FR G/F South Carolina SEC

http://www.woodenaward.com/?p=1793

Pac-12 has the most

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/21/15 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the hell is Wilson doing on the list, for that matter Lewis? Where the hell is Turner if Wilson is there or either Tuck or Jefferson to name a few.

No, wrong, wrong, wrong.

PostPosted: 01/21/15 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I'm curious why Wilson would be on this list but Turner is not when Turner is starting (which Wilson is not) and is averaging more points, rebounds and blocks and is almost certainly having a greater impact on her team.

How can you be considered for national player of the year if you can't even start for your own team?

And how in the world does unranked Cal get TWO players on the list? If they actually had two of the top 20 players in the country they wouldn't be tied for 4th in the PAC12.

It's just laziness. Like so many of these things they're just predetermined last October before a single game has been played.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/21/15 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So I'm curious why Wilson would be on this list but Turner is not when Turner is starting (which Wilson is not) and is averaging more points, rebounds and blocks and is almost certainly having a greater impact on her team.

How can you be considered for national player of the year if you can't even start for your own team?

This is an interesting point I was going to bring up in a previous discussion, when you were saying how important a freshman is in ND's hopes of winning games against any opponent. I think your statement says more about the teams than the players.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/21/15 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bradford has scored a lot of points, but has been terribly inefficient in doing so, especially considering the level of competition.

The list is clearly at least partially a matter of reputation. But whatever... that is the way it always goes.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/21/15 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just another case of West coast bias?

Very Happy

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/21/15 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Very Happy

lol. Of the West Coast players, I think the most questionable is Orrange. I love her but she is here because of her game against UConn. Both Boyd and Gray are IMO over-rated but they deserve to be here. If you could keep Boyd from ever shooting anything but layups, and forced her to take 50 FTs every day in practice, she could be a much better player. And Plum definitely deserves to be here.

The player on the list that intrigues me is Hamby because I haven't seen her at all this year so have only a vague notion of her abilities. She does what she does on a shitty team so must do it consistently against double teams. That kind of player usually impresses me. Looking forward to catching a game sometime so I can see her.

oh, and I would say the same thing about Holmes as Bradford. Very inefficient and generally better against the worst teams. Another example of just looking at the totals rather than how they get them.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 01/21/15 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:

Very Happy

lol. Of the West Coast players, I think the most questionable is Orrange. I love her but she is here because of her game against UConn. Both Boyd and Gray are IMO over-rated but they deserve to be here. If you could keep Boyd from ever shooting anything but layups, and forced her to take 50 FTs every day in practice, she could be a much better player. And Plum definitely deserves to be here.

The player on the list that intrigues me is Hamby because I haven't seen her at all this year so have only a vague notion of her abilities. She does what she does on a shitty team so must do it consistently against double teams. That kind of player usually impresses me. Looking forward to catching a game sometime so I can see her.

You don't think Bradford gets double teamed, myrtle?

There's a little intrigue with Hamby since she won a state high school championship with DeShields. Hamby doesn't look 6'3 (let's get zune on the case) and she seems on the slight side of build. To me, Gray has a WNBA build.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/21/15 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, of course Bradford gets double teamed, but 41% from 2 and 24% from 3 are not just bad, but grossly bad.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/21/15 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

This is an interesting point I was going to bring up in a previous discussion, when you were saying how important a freshman is in ND's hopes of winning games against any opponent. I think your statement says more about the teams than the players.

I'm not sure what you're saying here and in the other discussion. Are you suggesting that a team that relies on a freshman or two can't be a NC contender? If so you'd better let John Calipari and Mike Krzyzewski know, not to mention coaches Walz, McCallie, Aston, McGraw and a guy named . . .ummmm . . . I think it's Auriemma. Anyhow, I disagree with the notion that a freshman can't be central contributor to a NC winner (and indeed I seem to recall a freshman winning FF MVP just a couple of years ago.)

What it says about a player is that there would appear to be at least one person on the player's team who evidently is better and more valuable enough to have beaten the player out for the starting job at their shared position, so I have a hard time seeing how the reserve player could possibly be considered for national player of the year. At best the player could be the second best behind the starter it would seem to me.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/21/15 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a little disappointing not to see Betnijah Laney on this list.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/21/15 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Basically, if you're not identified back in October, you aren't likely to get added later.

I could say the same about Lindsay Allen.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/22/15 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Turner and Laney should def be on the list.

~rAf
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/22/15 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:

Very Happy

The player on the list that intrigues me is Hamby because I haven't seen her at all this year so have only a vague notion of her abilities. She does what she does on a shitty team so must do it consistently against double teams. That kind of player usually impresses me. Looking forward to catching a game

sometime so I can see her.

oh, and I would say the same thing about Holmes as Bradford. Very inefficient and generally better against the worst teams. Another example of just looking at the totals rather than how they get them.

I totally agree. The problem with Gray is she is strong but a little undersized and gets in foul trouble, she has not learned to stay out of foul trouble in 4 years.

ballch87

PostPosted: 01/22/15 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:

Very Happy

Not sure what your location is , but believe they have three tv games coming up. One against NotreDame. Probably will be on Espn3 as well. Sure there are replays as well…

linkster

PostPosted: 01/22/15 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
yes, of course Bradford gets double teamed, but 41% from 2 and 24% from 3 are not just bad, but grossly bad.

You may be correct but Diamond DeShields won NFOY with 42.7% from 2 and from 27.9 from 3, which under your standards is somewhere between bad and grossly bad.

Voters sometimes are blinded by a 20/game+ average. A player who is a team's only consistant offensive threat always has an advantage in these POY polls.

Last edited by linkster on 01/22/15 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 01/22/15 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

You may be correct but Diamond DeShields won NFOY with 42.7% from 2 and 27.9 from 3, which under your standars is somewhere between bad and grossly bad.

Voters sometimes are blinded by a 20/game+ average. A player who is a team's only consistant offensive threat always has an advantage in these POY polls.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: