RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

South Florida @ Connecticut (2) - 1/18/15
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Florida
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Connecticut
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Shades

PostPosted: 01/17/15 2:52 pm    ::: South Florida @ Connecticut (2) - 1/18/15 Reply Reply with quote

Storrs, CT - 1:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN2
Radio: 1010 AM FL

Video:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2276260/Womens-College-Basketball-USF-vs-Connecticut

Audio:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/collegesportslive/?media=475194 (sub)

http://www.gousfbulls.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPID=2924&db_oem_id=7700 (sub)

Gametracker:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wbaskbl.html?event=1377828&school=conn&sport=wbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 01/18/15 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/15 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're missing a good one here on ESPN2.

32-15 UConn with 6:46 left

Sue Bird commentating.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/18/15 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You're missing a good one here on ESPN2.

Agreed. Nothing is more exciting than an epic battle between the top 2 teams in a conference, with first place at stake!

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/15 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

49-31 UConn at the half

KML 13 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast
Jefferson 12 pts, 4 reb, 5 ast, 2 stl

Sterling 12 pts, 2 reb, 1 ast

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/18/15 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spellbinding.

Geno, Dailey and I reacted the same way when UConn gave up a wide-open 3, w/ 1-sec on the shot clock, on a USF-inbound play. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/18/15 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird is sounding like a BIG KML fan. She could be scouting for SEA. Smile

Last edited by Shades on 01/18/15 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/18/15 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sue Bird is sounding like a BIG KML fan. She could be scouting her SEA. Smile

Or she could just be another totally unbiased former UConn player with totally objective commentary. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

ESPN will probably team her with Lobo for UConn's NCAA Tourney games.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/15 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird said "international players are known for flopping." Isn't that an unfair characterization that obviously doesn't apply to all international players?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/15 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird said Stokes should make a good WNBA player.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/15 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

92-50 UConn final

I predict USF will climb 5 pts in the coach's poll after this loss. Smile

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/18/15 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
92-50 UConn final

I predict more than one UConn-based AAC apologist will declare USF a FF team after this loss.

PostPosted: 01/18/15 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
spellbinding.

Geno, Dailey and I reacted the same way when UConn gave up a wide-open 3, w/ 1-sec on the shot clock, on a USF-inbound play. Laughing
j

Saw that. Shit! Very Happy

cthskzfn wrote:
Shades wrote:
92-50 UConn final

I predict more than one UConn-based AAC apologist will declare USF a FF team after this loss.

Hey, playing USF got UConn's RPI rank back up to 2 and it's SOS up to 16 (there's only 4 thousandths of a point separating numbers 2-5 so a very small change can change rank by several spots).

Of course the next two games are against 6-11 UCF and 5-12 Cincy, so expect another big drop by this time next week.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 01/18/15 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

Neither will be NFOY but Nurse and Williams are contributing a lot more than some of the posters on this board ever expected. Nurse was described this way:

Quote:
I'd say she has a very, very long row to hoe to make it as either a point guard or shooting guard at UConn. Unless she improves dramatically in those areas, I would project her as a bench player below the top 8 of the rotation.

Quote:
The data seem very clear that Nurse is a below average shooter and assist passer by D1 and certainly UConn standards.

Quote:
Based on the limited footage I've seen of her and that of HS Chong, I'd say Chong looked ~5x better.

Quote:
She is a hustler and hard-nosed defender with strong general athletic skills, who could be a very good utility player on UConn's elite team.

Some looked past her admittedly average stats for Team canada and saw the intangibles:

Quote:
She is 18 years old, never played a minute of college ball, received the plaudits of foe and friend alike. She is the starting point guard on an ascending Canadian team and held her own against some of the elite guards in the world and based on that you are projecting she is going to be serviceable at best in college. She needs some refinement as all freshman do. I would feel very comfortable if she is deemed heir apparent to Moriah Jefferson.

Gabby Willams was considered an elite level player, B McCormick considered her aas one of the mosr athletic he ever saw, but 2 knee injuries forced her miss most of her last two years of HS. There was legitimate concerns as to whether she would ever have much of a college career because of those injuries. Instead, she has learned to be effective in the paint and has shown flashes of transcendent athleticism. Very much like Nina Davis of Baylor, Williams gets up for rebounds faster and higher than taller opponents. Her quick elevation has led to a lot of second chance points.

Add to these 2 the return to dominance of Morgan Tuck, who appears to be living up to the high expectations for her coming out of HS and who some had discounted due to the limited success of micro-surgery.

All in all, UConn has been very fortunate that these three players are not only all on the court, but that 2 of them are starting and the third is giving them unexpected help on the front line.

To the dismay of many who hoped the Stanford loss was a harbinger of the rest of the season.

* http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=80772&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PeachBasket

PostPosted: 01/18/15 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Or she could just be another totally unbiased former UConn player with totally objective commentary. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

We feel your pain, Art. After all, it's not like Notre Dame has received 90 years of fawning treatment in the nation's sports media or anything like that.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/18/15 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PeachBasket wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

We feel your pain, Art. After all, it's not like Notre Dame has received 90 years of fawning treatment in the nation's sports media or anything like that.

I'm curious if ESPN picks up Geno's laundry bills for cleaning Bird's and Lobo's slobber out of his clothes.

Oldfandepot2

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Sue Bird is sounding like a BIG KML fan. She could be scouting her SEA. Smile

Doubt Sue Bird will do much in the Tourney as she is not that good. Lobo fault is that in an effort to appear objective often goes to the other extreme. She is aware that people know her roots and tries to over compensate for it. When she does non UCONN games, she is a very good analyst. Bird on the other hand needs to improve to say the least. Whether she does or not is another story.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 01/18/15 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
linkster

PeachBasket wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

+++1

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/18/15 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
When she does non UCONN games, she is a very good analyst.

This I agree with. ESPN should just keep her away from Geno and UConn games and she'd be one of their better analysts.

Oh, and they should tell her that when she is doing a game involving totally unrelated teams, there is no need to interject comments and stories about UConn every 5 minutes.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/18/15 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="linkster"]Neither will be NFOY but Nurse and Williams are contributing a lot more than some of the posters on this board ever expected. Nurse was described this way:

Quote:
I'd say she has a very, very long row to hoe to make it as either a point guard or shooting guard at UConn. Unless she improves dramatically in those areas, I would project her as a bench player below the top 8 of the rotation.

Quote:
The data seem very clear that Nurse is a below average shooter and assist passer by D1 and certainly UConn standards.

Quote:
[b]Based on the limited footage I've seen of her and that of HS Chong, I'd say Chong looked ~5x better.[/quote] *[/b]

Quote:
She is a hustler and hard-nosed defender with strong general athletic skills, who could be a very good utility player on UConn's elite team.

Some looked past her admittedly average stats for Team canada and saw the intangibles:

Quote:
She is 18 years old, never played a minute of college ball, received the plaudits of foe and friend alike. She is the starting point guard on an ascending Canadian team and held her own against some of the elite guards in the world and based on that you are projecting she is going to be serviceable at best in college. She needs some refinement as all freshman do. I would feel very comfortable if she is deemed heir apparent to Moriah Jefferson.

Gabby Willams was considered an elite level player, B McCormick considered her aas one of the mosr athletic he ever saw, but 2 knee injuries forced her miss most of her last two years of HS. There was legitimate concerns as to whether she would ever have much of a college career because of those injuries. Instead, she has learned to be effective in the paint and has shown flashes of transcendent athleticism. Very much like Nina Davis of Baylor, Williams gets up for rebounds faster and higher than taller opponents. Her quick elevation has led to a lot of second chance points.

Add to these 2 the return to dominance of Morgan Tuck, who appears to be living up to the high expectations for her coming out of HS and who some had discounted due to the limited success of micro-surgery.

All in all, UConn has been very fortunate that these three players are not only all on the court, but that 2 of them are starting and the third is giving them unexpected help on the front line.

To the dismay of many who hoped the Stanford loss was a harbinger of the rest of the season.

* http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=80772&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

LMAO.

The highlighted quote above was made by me on June 6th, 2013.

hmm, I can't get it highlighted, so here it is:

Based on the limited footage I've seen of her and that of HS Chong, I'd say Chong looked ~5x better.

OGS is a wonderful thing.

PostPosted: 01/18/15 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sue Bird is sounding like a BIG KML fan. She could be scouting for SEA. Smile

Is there a small KLM?

PostPosted: 01/18/15 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sue Bird said "international players are known for flopping." Isn't that an unfair characterization that obviously doesn't apply to all international players?

It was a moment of honesty from Sue. Very Happy

I was happy to see her today. Hopefully she'll get some more experience in this season.

PostPosted: 01/18/15 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought it was fun to hear Birdy. Not the best commentator but some of her stories/comments were quite interesting. And she will learn. At least she knows whereof she speaks, which is lots better than some commentators.

Lots of W folks on the airways today. Swin at Dayton, Katie S. in the B1G

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/18/15 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
[b]Based on the limited footage I've seen of her and that of HS Chong, I'd say Chong looked ~5x better.[/quote] *[/b]

LMAO.

The highlighted quote above was made by me on June 6th, 2013.

hmm, I can't get it highlighted, so here it is:

OGS is a wonderful thing.[/quote]

Then why is it appearing as a new post on 6-12-14? You seem to have had a year to change your mind and didn't.

Truth is also a wonderful thing.

[i]
Quote:
PostPosted: 06/12/14 2:40 pm ::: Reply Reply with quote
Thanks for the footage, GMAC, even though it is mostly a drag to watch.

markinct

PostPosted: 01/18/15 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was happy to see Birdie calling this game and Katie Smith calling the following game. Bird needs some polishing but I liked what she brought to the table but keep in mind, it's hard to not be biased when you played for one of the best teams ever to play basketball for a coach who has a phenomenal win/loss record. Also, when you have Pam Ward gushing about you and your team it's hard to say ...Um, no comment. My one big criticism of Sue would be her using UMMMMM a LOT or is it UHHHH? I can't remember now but it was bugging me.

Now, I'd like to ask this....if Skylar Diggins was calling the Monday night game or Kara Lawson...or Ruth Riley....or Kellie Jollie or Chamique Holdsclaw....don't you think they would be praising Muffet and Pat and their programs as well? It seems like we're berating Sue because she played for one of the most elite programs in Women's Basketball history. How can Lobo not feel some bias when that man/program put her on the map???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: