RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bracketology 1/19/15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/19/15 5:03 pm    ::: Bracketology 1/19/15 Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the #1 possibilities:

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12194866/no-1-seeds-more-grabs-2015

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/19/15 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The brackets: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/20/15 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a hard time understanding how Ole Miss doesn't get in and the SEC only gets 6 schools in. No way.

Pittsburgh over Ole Miss?

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/20/15 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now, Pitt has an RPI of 30 and Ole Miss has an RPI of 82. That's a big difference, and no RPI 82 team has gotten a bid since at least the 2000 tournament.

Pitt has wins over RPI top 50 teams North Carolina, Youngstown State (RPI 29, although that won't last), Ohio State and Michigan, plus 2 other RPI top 100 wins. Ole Miss has wins over RPI top 50 teams Georgia and Arkansas, and no other wins over RPI top 100 teams (almost no other wins over RPI top 150 teams).

linkster

PostPosted: 01/20/15 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see why Louisville can't host both the men and women for the first 2 rounds?

They can easily put the games on alternate days. And if Louisville can handle the mass of humanity that descends on the city for the Kentucky Derby Week they can easily handle 8 college basketball teams, 2 of which are local. At most we are talking 40,000 ticket holders and 6 teams?

I don't buy it. Sounds more like a pissing match inside the NCAA.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/20/15 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I don't see why Louisville can't host both the men and women for the first 2 rounds?

They can easily put the games on alternate days. And if Louisville can handle the mass of humanity that descends on the city for the Kentucky Derby Week they can easily handle 8 college basketball teams, 2 of which are local. At most we are talking 40,000 ticket holders and 6 teams?

The NCAA isn't going to and shouldn't rearrange brackets, seeding, matchups and schedules to accommodate a schools that doesn't have its facility available on the required days.

It's too bad for Louisville, but it's certainly not the only time this has happened.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/20/15 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

The court has to be available for practices as well. There is no way to have 4 full practices, 4 pre-game shoot arounds and then 2 full games on the same day on the same court without starting at a crazy early time. In addition, the court needs to be available 2 hours before tip of the first game.

I believe the practices are usually an hour and a half while the shoot arounds on game day are an hour. That right there is 10 hours worth of court time. 10-15 minutes separates all the practices to allow teams to get on/off the court, so there is another hour to an hour and a half. Add 2 hours prior to the first game...add 2 hours for the first game...another 30 minutes between games...another 2 hours for the second game and that adds up to around 18 hours.

The logistics of all of that just wouldn't work.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
linkster wrote:

The court has to be available for practices as well. There is no way to have 4 full practices, 4 pre-game shoot arounds and then 2 full games on the same day on the same court without starting at a crazy early time. In addition, the court needs to be available 2 hours before tip of the first game.

I believe the practices are usually an hour and a half while the shoot arounds on game day are an hour. That right there is 10 hours worth of court time. 10-15 minutes separates all the practices to allow teams to get on/off the court, so there is another hour to an hour and a half. Add 2 hours prior to the first game...add 2 hours for the first game...another 30 minutes between games...another 2 hours for the second game and that adds up to around 18 hours.

The logistics of all of that just wouldn't work.

The men's games are scheduled on March 19 (4 games) and 21 (2 games). The women's games will be either March 20 and 22 or March 21 and 23, with 2 games in the first round and 1 in the second, although the second round isn't important to this question.

Assume you'd start the women's games on the 20th, in which case you'd need to have 6 hours for practices (plus 15 minute gaps), 2 hours for shoot-arounds (plus 15 minute gaps) and another 5 hours, more or less, for the women's games, a total of about 15 hours. I suppose you could do it if the women's games were scheduled for the noon/2 p.m. Eastern slots or the 9 p.m./11 p.m. Eastern slots, but it would be tight at best.

If the women's games start on the 21st, then it's shootarounds (6 hours plus gaps) and games (5 hours for the men, 5 hours for the women), but that's even more tight and has less certainty about whether you could make it work because the early games could run late and run into the time needed before the late games.

And, of course, none of this considers getting people in and out of the arena.

YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my opinion Charlie Crème is an idiot. Every single year at this time of the year he has Oklahoma as a #8 seed playing on the road at the site of the #1 overall team. Whatever his beef is with women's basketball in the state of Oklahoma, I'm not too concerned with who OU plays this year. They won't be an 8 seed when the tourney begins, and they may be playing in the last three days of the season. Crème can KMA.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/20/15 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YourCrimsonNightmare wrote:
In my opinion Charlie Crème is an idiot. Every single year at this time of the year he has Oklahoma as a #8 seed playing on the road at the site of the #1 overall team. Whatever his beef is with women's basketball in the state of Oklahoma, I'm not too concerned with who OU plays this year. They won't be an 8 seed when the tourney begins, and they may be playing in the last three days of the season. Crème can KMA.

Interesting take. Looking back to last year, in late March Creme projected OU as a 9 seed. The Committee actualy made them a 10 seed so Creme was actually being generous. And then they lost to DePaul in the first round. So evidently they weren't underseeded.

Not sure why Creme would merit criticism for that.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/21/15 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Right now, Pitt has an RPI of 30 and Ole Miss has an RPI of 82. That's a big difference, and no RPI 82 team has gotten a bid since at least the 2000 tournament.

Pitt has wins over RPI top 50 teams North Carolina, Youngstown State (RPI 29, although that won't last), Ohio State and Michigan, plus 2 other RPI top 100 wins. Ole Miss has wins over RPI top 50 teams Georgia and Arkansas, and no other wins over RPI top 100 teams (almost no other wins over RPI top 150 teams).

Thanks for looking at the numbers!

I was more going off of eye test after watching both teams play on ESPN3.

Ole Miss seems more athletic/fun to watch/SEC style.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/21/15 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Not that it really matters, but Louisville men can't play at the Yum Center can they? Don't they send ALL men's teams on the road?

Phil

PostPosted: 01/21/15 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was surprised by the selection of TN ahead of Baylor as a 1 seed, but reading his writeup, he made his picks before TN lost to ND and before Baylor beat up on TX.

YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 01/21/15 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Interesting take. Looking back to last year, in late March Creme projected OU as a 9 seed. The Committee actualy made them a 10 seed so Creme was actually being generous. And then they lost to DePaul in the first round. So evidently they weren't underseeded.

Last year's team wasn't very good at all. This team has won 7 in a row, has won all of their conference games by more than 10 points, and is tied for 1st in the Big 12 along with #3 Baylor.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/21/15 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Last year's team wasn't very good at all. This team has won 7 in a row, has won all of their conference games by more than 10 points, and is tied for 1st in the Big 12 along with #3 Baylor.

Not to mention having lost to both Arkansas and Arkansas Little Rock. Rolling Eyes

YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 01/21/15 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Not to mention having lost to both Arkansas and Arkansas Little Rock. Rolling Eyes

That has no relationship with what this team is now. OU to date has played the 5th strongest schedule of any team, and at 12-5 with a 7 game winning streak, the only team in the top 50 of the RPI ranked higher is Notre Dame.

So spare me the disparaging remarks. This team is playing sensational basketball, and if you don't believe me, tune in one of their games.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/21/15 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU to date has played the 5th strongest schedule of any team,

No, actually Oklahoma's strength of schedule rank is 13.

and at 12-5 with a 7 game winning streak, the only team in the top 50 of the RPI ranked higher is Notre Dame.

I'm not sure I understand what this was intended to communicate, but
Oklahoma's RPI is 23. There are twenty teams with both a higher AP rank and higher RPI rank than Oklahoma.

Oh and I've watched both of their last two games by the way.

YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 01/29/15 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU is playing at Texas at 7 ET tonight, trying to get to 8-0 in the Big 12 and secure a regular season sweep of the Longhorns. Since they ARE my team, I'll be watching them on Fox Sports 1.

If OU wins tonight, Baylor and OU will have 40% of all the wins in the Big 12 to date, with 60% split among the other 8.

Texas was the preseason favorite to win the conference, but they are 3-4 in conference play after going 11-0 in non-conference games.

Sooners look to be closing in on a top 16 NCAA seed, which would mean a lot to them. Chances would be better than 50-50 that after playing (if they win) two teams seeded below them in the Big Dance, they would play their regional in Oklahoma City, in an arena that's very familiar to them, and before a large crowd of OU fans.

#3 Baylor currently leads the conference by a half game, and after the two unbeaten leaders the lone 3rd place team has lost 3 games.

Should be a fun game...

YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 01/29/15 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

OU to date has played the 5th strongest schedule of any team,

No, actually Oklahoma's strength of schedule rank is 13.

and at 12-5 with a 7 game winning streak, the only team in the top 50 of the RPI ranked higher is Notre Dame.

I'm not sure I understand what this was intended to communicate, but
Oklahoma's RPI is 23. There are twenty teams with both a higher AP rank and higher RPI rank than Oklahoma.

Oh and I've watched both of their last two games by the way.

What I wanted to convey but didn't, is that the only team (at the time) currently ranked higher in SOS in the top 25 was Notre Dame.

I didn't properly state that, so I understand your confusion. My fault.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/29/15 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU is playing at Texas at 7 ET tonight, trying to get to 8-0 in the Big 12 and secure a regular season sweep of the Longhorns. Since they ARE my team, I'll be watching them on Fox Sports 1.

If OU wins tonight, Baylor and OU will have 40% of all the wins in the Big 12 to date, with 60% split among the other 8.

Texas was the preseason favorite to win the conference, but they are 3-4 in conference play after going 11-0 in non-conference games.

Sooners look to be closing in on a top 16 NCAA seed, which would mean a lot to them. Chances would be better than 50-50 that after playing (if they win) two teams seeded below them in the Big Dance, they would play their regional in Oklahoma City, in an arena that's very familiar to them, and before a large crowd of OU fans.

#3 Baylor currently leads the conference by a half game, and after the two unbeaten leaders the lone 3rd place team has lost 3 games.

Should be a fun game...

Not really directly related to your post, but the rapid decline of Texas - starting even before the Enemkpali injury - really is stunning.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/29/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Should be a fun game...

Not really directly related to your post, but the rapid decline of Texas - starting even before the Enemkpali injury - really is stunning.

It began with the Atkins injury and has snowballed from there.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/29/15 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="YourCrimsonNightmare"]
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

That has no relationship with what this team is now. OU to date has played the 5th strongest schedule of any team, and at 12-5 with a 7 game winning streak, the only team in the top 50 of the RPI ranked higher is Notre Dame.

So spare me the disparaging remarks. This team is playing sensational basketball, and if you don't believe me, tune in one of their games.

While the committee puts a degree more emphasis on late season play, they have clearly stated that they base seeding on the entire season. So those losses to Ark. & Ark. LR DO matter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: