RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What's the most disappointing team so far this year?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/19/15 12:05 pm    ::: What's the most disappointing team so far this year? Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State would be my choice. I certainly never saw 9-9/1-6 coming.

Biggest disaster has to be Penn St, but they were known to have question marks (although I doubt anyone predicted this degree of a mess).

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/19/15 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me it's Cal.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 01/19/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I keep waiting for Michigan State to put it together. They have good parts. I'd say the same, somewhat, about Rutgers. Sparty is likely on life support already. Rutgers is doing well enough, but they have pieces to make a run. A few of them are seniors so they need to figure it out.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/19/15 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the B1G in addition to MSU and PSU, Purdue is really struggling.

I watched UCSB play against Baylor in the NCAA first round a couple of years ago. Now the Gauchos are winless. What happened there?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/19/15 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

I watched UCSB play against Baylor in the NCAA first round a couple of years ago. Now the Gauchos are winless. What happened there?

Yep...Purdue is a disaster. By far the most disappointing team to me.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/19/15 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
I keep waiting for Michigan State to put it together. They have good parts. I'd say the same, somewhat, about Rutgers. Sparty is likely on life support already. Rutgers is doing well enough, but they have pieces to make a run. A few of them are seniors so they need to figure it out.

RU lost Briyona Canty from the 5th minute of the Indiana game until the Maryland game (when she played limited minutes and did not start). I don't think it's a coincidence that they struggled without her - she averages better than 4.6 apg, even considering that she missed nearly all of the Indiana game and played only half of the Maryland game, and is the 4th-leading scorer. I'm hopeful that with her return they will be better, and she contributed 5 assists (to 1 turnover) on Sunday against Wisky.

I'm sorry to say (because I always liked Carlene Mitchell) that UCSB has been struggling for a while, so this is more just a culmination of a decline than anything else.

On the list of disappointing teams, I wonder about DePaul, which I think a lot of people thought would be pretty good at the beginning of the season. The Blue Demons aren't bad, exactly, but they haven't been beating even middling-good teams this year.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/19/15 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State and Penn State for me too. I want to put UCLA on here too but I'm not sure its worthy with how young they are and their brutal schedule. Thought they would win at least one against a ranked team though.

I'm also surprised South Dakota State has lost 3 conference games already. They've only lost 4 or more twice since they joined the Summit. South Dakota may be taking over the reigns after their Summit League Tournament win last year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/19/15 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been disappointed in Stanford. Yeah, they lost a lot, but a lot of times they look lost too. Really in need of post help.

And in the P12 Cal has been disappointing too.

And Utah. I didn't expect a lot from them but not this horrific.

Kansas. I really didn't think they would be this bad in the B12 either. Bonnie needs to go.

- Amanda Gorman
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/19/15 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, it's Marquette. I know that not much was expected from them but they are worse than I expected. They are now 0-7 in conference play and haven't won in a month now. I am considering the possibility that they may not win in BE play but hopefully that doesn't happen.

In the BE for teams I don't have a rooting interest in, I'd say it's probably DePaul as has been mentioned in this thread. I'm also surprised to see Creighton near the bottom of the BE standings but they weren't expected to do as well as DePaul.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 01/19/15 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

RU lost Briyona Canty from the 5th minute of the Indiana game until the Maryland game (when she played limited minutes and did not start). I don't think it's a coincidence that they struggled without her - she averages better than 4.6 apg, even considering that she missed nearly all of the Indiana game and played only half of the Maryland game, and is the 4th-leading scorer. I'm hopeful that with her return they will be better, and she contributed 5 assists (to 1 turnover) on Sunday against Wisky.

I'm sorry to say (because I always liked Carlene Mitchell) that UCSB has been struggling for a while, so this is more just a culmination of a decline than anything else.

On the list of disappointing teams, I wonder about DePaul, which I think a lot of people thought would be pretty good at the beginning of the season. The Blue Demons aren't bad, exactly, but they haven't been beating even middling-good teams this year.

There's been a couple issues with DePaul. For one, We just don't have a real post player. That has killed us. We are way too small. Two, losing Rogowski to an ACL tear. Three, Jasmine Penny graduated. She was our leading scorer and most consistent. We are rebuilding. We have a ton of talent coming back next year. I still think we have just as good of a chance as anyone to win the conference tournament. It's not over.

ball4life

PostPosted: 01/19/15 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State starts off the same every year. Ranked top 10 for some strange reason lose about 5 games and drop to around 22. Then conference play starts and they fall completely apart. It's a repeating cycle.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/20/15 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
Michigan State starts off the same every year. Ranked top 10 for some strange reason lose about 5 games and drop to around 22. Then conference play starts and they fall completely apart. It's a repeating cycle.

I don't know their ranking last year but I do know they started out 4-0 in the Big Ten with wins over Nebraska & Iowa on their way to a tie for the regular season championship with Penn State, both with 13-3 overall records. I don't really see that as falling apart.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/20/15 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:

As a U-M fan, I'm not akin to defending MSU, but this statement is bunk. MSU has been one of the most consistent top-finishing teams in the B1G for the last decade.

In fact, their last five seasons have all top-3 B1G finishes.

Trev-E

PostPosted: 01/20/15 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame. Losing to an unranked team. And one missing player in that game is not an excuse. Take Lloyd out of the equation and they're really weak. Flashes of greatness from Turner are just that (this year) flashes. She'll get there but she's still hit or miss this early in her career.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/20/15 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Disappointing" is an interesting word here ...

For example, I didn't think Stanford would be that good this year, so actually I'm a little surprised they're in the top 15. But from a historical perspective, I guess they are disappointing.

Cal lost a lot to graduation, can't shoot and had one of its six legit players hurt for several weeks. Again, without Courtney Range, who at least has a chance to make a three, they have no depth and no perimeter game, so is it really a surprise they lose now and again?

But with Brittany Boyd and Reshanda Gray, two seniors destined for the first round of the WNBA draft, on the surface they should be stronger (though Gray averaged a foul every seven minutes, and that doesn't work all that well).

PostPosted: 01/20/15 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trev-E wrote:
Notre Dame. Losing to an unranked team. And one missing player in that game is not an excuse. Take Lloyd out of the equation and they're really weak. Flashes of greatness from Turner are just that (this year) flashes. She'll get there but she's still hit or miss this early in her career.

Welcome to the board!

If Notre Dame is disappointing, your expectations were probably too high.

PostPosted: 01/20/15 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm still waiting to see Tennessee get back up there. Would love to see them and Conn in March playing together. It might be a catalyst to renew their annual series if they met up in March.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/20/15 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2015/01/16/couch-embattled-msu-women/21868139/

IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/20/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The most dissapointing team has to be Long Beach State. Getting zero votes from the coaches poll must mean that coaches, who vote, expected them to be 18 and 0.
Seriously, not one coach voted for them, but LSU who they beat got 7 votes.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/20/15 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
The most dissapointing team has to be Long Beach State. Getting zero votes from the coaches poll must mean that coaches, who vote, expected them to be 18 and 0.

LSU just beat a Top 10 ranked team in Kentucky. If they beat Tennessee on Thur, you can probably except them to become Top 25.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
beknighted

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

LSU just beat a Top 10 ranked team in Kentucky. If they beat Tennessee on Thur, you can probably except them to become Top 25.

And voters tend to weight recent events much more heavily. In the case of LSU, there's a pretty good argument that they've gotten much better lately.

Michael

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Yep...Purdue is a disaster. By far the most disappointing team to me.

Disappointing yes; surprising not really. When you have a head coach that cannot teach an effective offense, cannot teach ball security and cannot teach effective rebounding, Purdue is what you get after 9 seasons of that type of inferior coaching.

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Long Beach State' s strength of schedule rank is 205. That probably has a lot to do with the lack of poll votes.

ball4life

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
ball4life wrote:

As a U-M fan, I'm not akin to defending MSU, but this statement is bunk. MSU has been one of the most consistent top-finishing teams in the B1G for the last decade.

In fact, their last five seasons have all top-3 B1G finishes.

Maybe I should do more research before I bunk out statements. So after researching M-State did have a nice run in 2012-13. When looking deeper 11-7 and 5-4 and still being a top 25 until the next loss makes me think they start off to high and slowly dwindle out. 2011-12 dropped out at 8-5 dropped back in at 12-5 then went to 12-8. Bad season sandwiched between good seasons. It's quite possible to be 6-5 or 11-7 or 5-4 and still finish high in your conference but should any team be in the top 25 with those records?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/20/15 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the SEC, I'd say probably UGA, as usual. Every year is touted as 'this is the year" and most years it isn't. This year they seem to be more of a paper bulldog than usual. And of course Vandy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: