RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icey23

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So happy for Crenshaw, She was a really nice lady at LSU. I remember seeing her calm parents down after some of the games during the Van LSU era lol.

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Georgia promotes assistant coach Joni Crenshaw to be their new head coach. Not sure I get this hire. If Kenny Brooks did interview I think his body of work is quite impressive.

Operative word there would be "IF".

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure she will hire former LSU player, UGA Student assistant and currently Lipscom assistant Katherine Graham
http://www.lipscombsports.com/wbasketball/coaches/3836/katherine-graham/

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One strong aspect I overlooked is her experience in "SEC Country". She coached at Alabama and LSU so hopefully she has recruiting ties there in addition to the ties she has in the state of Georgia. She had a great high school career in Mississippi so maybe she dips in there to recruit a little too.

My only question now is does she retain the current staff and add 1 new coach to fill her old spot, or does she start fresh and hire a new staff?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
One strong aspect I overlooked is her experience in "SEC Country". She coached at Alabama and LSU so hopefully she has recruiting ties there in addition to the ties she has in the state of Georgia. She had a great high school career in Mississippi so maybe she dips in there to recruit a little too.

My only question now is does she retain the current staff and add 1 new coach to fill her old spot, or does she start fresh and hire a new staff?

If she was such a great recruiter in the region, shouldn't that have already manifested itself in recruiting success at UGA?

uconnfan1

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might eventually prove to be a great hire, but on Day 1, I'm not impressed. Been on staff for 4 Years and hasn't stopped the Exodus of Elite GA HS Players from leaving the state to play basketball.

Time will tell, if she's now able to as the Head Coach. I'll be interested to see if she hires anyone from an AAU Program located in the Atlanta area.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

If she was such a great recruiter in the region, shouldn't that have already manifested itself in recruiting success at UGA?

I'd think so but there are some other variables. The head coach is a big factor in recruiting but also the school you are at. The recruiting was the unknown to me regarding anyone they hired. Kenny Brooks no ties to Georgia and is coming from a mid major. I don't think its a bad thing, recruits want to play for coaches who can build relationships with them but its a question. Niele Ivey has recruited very well but recruiting to Notre Dame is much different than recruiting to UGA. The academic situation, the Catholic education, the opportunity to play for a hall of fame coach. Niele Ivey could be the same quality recruiter but if she was at say Indiana instead of ND she may not have the same results. I think the Georgia situation is similar. People talk about assistant coaches a lot but in the women's game the assistants come and go and for the most part the same schools get the best players.

When the Baylor coach who recruited Griner and Sims left people made a big deal and I saw the McDonald's game, looks like Baylor is recruiting very well. Same when UNC's coach who recruited DeShields left, same when Duke loses coaches every year or two. No doubt her recruiting will be a big question but I had questions on recruiting for all of them. At least with Brooks you have a proven commodity as a head coach, that's why I was higher on him.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Recruiting mid-major players is not the same as recruiting major conference players. CBB history is littered with coaches who couldn't make that adjustment.

True.

CBB history is also littered with coaches who went from being an assistant at a top school directly to a head coaching job at a top school and couldn't make that adjustment.
Wink

There's no perfect formula.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

uconnfan1 wrote:
Might eventually prove to be a great hire, but on Day 1, I'm not impressed. Been on staff for 4 Years and hasn't stopped the Exodus of Elite GA HS Players from leaving the state to play basketball.

Time will tell, if she's now able to as the Head Coach. I'll be interested to see if she hires anyone from an AAU Program located in the Atlanta area.

Maybe it wasn't her that caused the players to avoid UGA. Maybe it was the head coach?

icey23

PostPosted: 04/12/15 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
uconnfan1 wrote:

Maybe it wasn't her that caused the players to avoid UGA. Maybe it was the head coach?

Same thing I was going to say!!! I remember when Van was at LSU players didnt come to LSU because of him they loved everyone else but just didnt care for him.

PostPosted: 04/12/15 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang. You know who Duke fans were rooting for to get the job. Onto Kansas, I guess. (please, please, please)

~rAf
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/12/15 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
uconnfan1 wrote:

Players were not avoiding UGA. Some high profile players decided to leave the state, but naming Crenshaw HC will do nothing to change that. Naming her HC after 3 weeks is a total fail. If she was your choice, she should have been named shortly after the position was vacated. After all, you already knew all you needed to know about her to make a decision. This is just my two cents and is in no way meant as a slight against Crenshaw, but this makes the AD look completely inept.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/12/15 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
uconnfan1 wrote:

Same thing I was going to say!!! I remember when Van was at LSU players didnt come to LSU because of him they loved everyone else but just didnt care for him.

You are right about Van. However, Landers is nothing like Van Chancellor.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/12/15 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
uconnfan1 wrote:

Players were not avoiding UGA. Some high profile players decided to leave the state, but naming Crenshaw HC will do nothing to change that. Naming her HC after 3 weeks is a total fail. If she was your choice, she should have been named shortly after the position was vacated. After all, you already knew all you needed to know about her to make a decision. This is just my two cents and is in no way meant as a slight against Crenshaw, but this makes the AD look completely inept.

You can be critical of the hire but if they hired her right away without interviewing anyone else it would be criticized because then the AD didn't weigh all his options and at least compare her to other candidates. There is nothing wrong with interviewing others, there has to be some baseline comparison there. Whether or not it should have taken this long is a fair question but depending on who they interviewed they would have had to wait for them to end their season too.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/12/15 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

There is a long list of coaches with resumes showing their ability to do more with less than what UGA has talent wise year in and year out. I have nothing against Crenshaw, but if she was the choice, she would have been named weeks ago. This hire, especially the process by which it was made, makes the AD look weak. He is either uninterested in the sport, is frustrated and lacks support within his department to guide him in a search, or is yielding to the powerful voices within the fanbase that are loyal to Andy Landers and have wanted Crenshaw to be named from the start. I'm an Auburn guy. Auburn and UGA recruit from the same footprint. This does nothing to make UGA stronger. Landers has had a strong program for decades and is well respected. Perhaps this is a nod to his long tenure. It is certainly interesting.

crispyten

PostPosted: 04/13/15 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
The UGA press release says that Crenshaw is engaged to marry Darius Taylor in August. Taylor is an assistant coach at South Carolina, so can we presume this will be one of her first hires?

Georgia has a nepotism policy, so I'm not sure if she'd be able to hire him. I know with football, coaches haven't been able to have siblings in staff.

Is there also a grandfather clause? If she hires him before the wedding in August, he won't be a relative, and he can stay on because he is grandfathered in. Think anybody might get suspicious? Wink

One reason for a nepotism policy, of course, is that working with a spouse can be hard on a marriage, so I'm sure they have given that a lot of thought whether the universisty approves or not.

For those who think UGA took too long to make an announcement, I think the decision was made pretty fast. Obviously, Darius will not keep his job at South Carolina. The campuses are not all that far apart, but it's too long a commute for a newlywed couple. Plus, competing against your spouse??? So, he has to find a new job in Athens. If there is a nepotism policy, he can't get a different job at UGA. Athens is a college town, so there are not a lot of high schools where he might get a coaching job. That means finding something outside his chosen profession. Four weeks doesn't sound so long.

Last edited by crispyten on 04/13/15 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/15 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
The UGA press release says that Crenshaw is engaged to marry Darius Taylor in August. Taylor is an assistant coach at South Carolina, so can we presume this will be one of her first hires?

Georgia has a nepotism policy, so I'm not sure if she'd be able to hire him. I know with football, coaches haven't been able to have siblings in staff.

They need to keep those slots open for relatives of recruits...

PostPosted: 04/13/15 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill Ferrara hired as assistant at Florida. Spent the past two seasons at George Washington, and Hofstra before that.

icey23

PostPosted: 04/13/15 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

They need to keep those slots open for relatives of recruits...

What ever happen to her mom?

PostPosted: 04/13/15 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

crispyten wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Is there also a grandfather clause? If she hires him before the wedding in August, he won't be a relative, and he can stay on because he is grandfathered in. Think anybody might get suspicious? Wink

One reason for a nepotism policy, of course, is that working with a spouse can be hard on a marriage, so I'm sure they have given that a lot of thought whether the universisty approves or not.

For those who think UGA took too long to make an announcement, I think the decision was made pretty fast. Obviously, Darius will not keep his job at South Carolina. The campuses are not all that far apart, but it's too long a commute for a newlywed couple. Plus, competing against your spouse??? So, he has to find a new job in Athens. If there is a nepotism policy, he can't get a different job at UGA. Athens is a college town, so there are not a lot of high schools where he might get a coaching job. That means finding something outside his chosen profession. Four weeks doesn't sound so long.

A month isn't too long to make an announcement, but its way too long to announce the hiring of someone that is already on staff. This story is missing pieces left and right, but it is what it is.

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/14/15 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Van's long gone from LSU. Why can't they still get the top players?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/14/15 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
crispyten wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

A month isn't too long to make an announcement, but its way too long to announce the hiring of someone that is already on staff. This story is missing pieces left and right, but it is what it is.

Nicely put. Seems there must have been a lot of dithering going on.

PostPosted: 04/14/15 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still waiting on Utah...

PostPosted: 04/14/15 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chris Gobrecht from Yale to Air Force

http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041415aaa.html

PostPosted: 04/14/15 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SEMO to name Rekha Patterson as head coach

http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/14/8416649/breaking-semo-to-hire-ball-states-rekha-patterson-as-new-head-coach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: