RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another hire tonight, Portland State hires Lynn Kennedy. http://www.goviks.com/news/2015/4/7/WBB_0407150544.aspx

Kennedy comes to Portland State with 14 years experience as a collegiate head coach and more than 20 years coaching experience overall. For the past 10 seasons, he has led the Southern Oregon women's basketball program to outstanding success. The Raiders were 27-5 this past season, ranked in the top 10 in the nation and reached the NAIA Division II Sweet 16. In all, Kennedy was 208-105 as head coach at Southern Oregon, leading three teams to the NAIA National Tournament.

In all, Kennedy's Raider program had five 20-win seasons, including each of the last two. Kennedy's players have earned 22 All-Conference honors, four All-American honors and eight Academic All-American honors.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
What I want to know is when someone will hire Shea Ralph or Niele Ivey or do they just not want to be head coaches?

Could it be that we will hear something about one or both of them taking jobs after tonight?

Unless Georgia is making a run at one of them, they are really moving in slow motion making this hire. With their resources, this shouldn't be that hard.

It's been less than a month since Andy Landers announced his retirment. Unless Andy Landers was expected to retire, so the athletic department should have known and been prepared, I don't think they are moving that slow.

I get what you are saying. I just believe that an administrator has to always have an idea of what he or she would do or who they would talk to in the event they needed to make a hire.

Having an idea and actually putting that idea into action (so to speak) is completely different. It's not like the administration could just snap their fingers and plan A or plan B will just happen automatically, maybe they are already on to plan D, or they are still working on plan A, but there are some administrative hold ups, like the person is seeing if she could get an extension from her current school, before making a decision.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.goviks.com/news/2015/4/7/WBB_0407150544.aspx

Quote:
Portland State Director of Athletics Mark Rountree has announced the hiring of Lynn Kennedy as the new Vikings women's basketball coach.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12649688/north-texas-hiring-mitchell-women-basketball-coach

Quote:
Former North Texas women's basketball player Jalie Mitchell is returning to her alma mater as coach.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTSA hires assistant ... http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=210011387

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 04/09/15 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
There is talk on the UGA 247sports board that Cheryl Miller either will be or has been hired with an announcement expected this week. Keep in mind that there is absolutely no way to confirm this. She played and coached at USC and in the WNBA. She is currently coaching at NAIA Langston.

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

and thank God that was false!

http://www.btbrecruiting.com/btb/aboutgirlsbasketball

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/09/15 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cattekin wrote:
Durantula wrote:
@ASGR1995
Head Coaching job #3 is now open. HC Anthony Levrets University of Utah & PAC 12 has been let go.

Candidates down to three, according to Mike Robinson at Swish Appeal: Hawaii's Laura Beeman, Fresno State's Jaime White, and Pacific's Lynne Roberts.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/4/8344627/coaching-search-update-utah-down-to-three-finalists

Laura Beeman appears to have taken her name out of the running for the Utah Head Coach position.

https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/586279564512514048

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
There is talk on the UGA 247sports board that Cheryl Miller either will be or has been hired with an announcement expected this week. Keep in mind that there is absolutely no way to confirm this. She played and coached at USC and in the WNBA. She is currently coaching at NAIA Langston.

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

Now this is fantastic news

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 04/10/15 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

Look for something to break soon. There is a press conference Monday at noon.

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 04/10/15 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

Fantastic news. Can't wait to see who it is.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/15 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

So I wandered over to the UGA board because I heard they were talking about Niele Ivey (someone was tracking plane flights and supposedly there was a light plane flying from Augusta to South Bend a couple of days ago, according to a poster.) and I concluded they have no idea. But I am always amused when a fanbase starts talking about how they should hire Kim Mulkey, Jeff Walz, Brenda Frese or Sue Semrau. I'm dying to hear the explanation of why any of those coaches would give up their current job to take over the Georgia job.

I readily admit ND fans are as guilty as anyone else, but it's always amusing how completely unrealistic most fans tend to be when it comes to hiring a new coach. Hey, what the heck. Maybe they'll shock me.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/10/15 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So I wandered over to the UGA board because I heard they were talking about Niele Ivey (someone was tracking plane flights and supposedly there was a light plane flying from Augusta to South Bend a couple of days ago, according to a poster.) and I concluded they have no idea. But I am always amused when a fanbase starts talking about how they should hire Kim Mulkey, Jeff Walz, Brenda Frese or Sue Semrau. I'm dying to hear the explanation of why any of those coaches would give up their current job to take over the Georgia job.

I readily admit ND fans are as guilty as anyone else, but it's always amusing how completely unrealistic most fans tend to be when it comes to hiring a new coach. Hey, what the heck. Maybe they'll shock me.

It is kind of funny, but it's also interesting to consider what would get one of the top coaches to move. If you want to think of a comparable situation, there are a couple:

*Texas in 2007, which managed to hire Gail Goestenkors away from Duke. If the stories are true, that happened because she didn't think she was getting sufficient support from the administration and because they weren't willing to match what Texas was willing to pay.

*Texas Tech in 2006, hiring Kristie Curry away from Purdue. Again, it was a situation in which it didn't look like she was getting much support, despite pretty consistent good results.

In both cases, the coaches also got pretty big salary bumps, as I recall.

Offhand, I can't think of anyone out there now whose situation is comparable to GG and KC. I certainly wouldn't put Mulkey, Frese or Walz in that category; I don't know about Semrau, although she does seem to be paid pretty well ($700k+ base salary, from what I can tell), so it might be hard for UGA to top what FSU's paying her.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/10/15 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It is kind of funny, but it's also interesting to consider what would get one of the top coaches to move. If you want to think of a comparable situation, there are a couple:

*Texas in 2007, which managed to hire Gail Goestenkors away from Duke. If the stories are true, that happened because she didn't think she was getting sufficient support from the administration and because they weren't willing to match what Texas was willing to pay.

*Texas Tech in 2006, hiring Kristie Curry away from Purdue. Again, it was a situation in which it didn't look like she was getting much support, despite pretty consistent good results.

Offhand, I can't think of anyone out there now whose situation is comparable to GG and KC. I certainly wouldn't put Mulkey, Frese or Walz in that category; I don't know about Semrau, although she does seem to be paid pretty well ($700k+ base salary, from what I can tell), so it might be hard for UGA to top what FSU's paying her.

Curry's biggest issue was NCAA violations and a civil war among her assistants. Her results weren't an issue, but the athletic department was more than happy to hold the door open for her and give her a nudge out it.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/10/15 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Curry's biggest issue was NCAA violations and a civil war among her assistants. Her results weren't an issue, but the athletic department was more than happy to hold the door open for her and give her a nudge out it.

I should have remembered that. I suppose that kind of counts as not having a supportive administration, although not really in the way I was thinking of it. I also remember the AD saying something pretty obnoxious about WCBB at the time she left, but that may really have been more about what was going on behind the scenes.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/15 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Is my current job as good (prestige, school, conference, tradition, etc.) as the open job and do I have as good an opportunity to succeed where I am?
Am I happy in my current job, and is my employer happy with me?
Will my current employer match what the other job is offering pay wise?
Am I already settled in at my current job with likely job security for as long as I want to stay? (have I been here for a number of years already)
Do the fans like me?

If you answer yes to those questions, I think the likelihood of your moving is close to zero barring some family or school tie at the open job. For example, maybe you'd like to coach your alma mater. Or would like to move back to the area where you were raised. But otherwise, you're probably saying no.

If you answer no to some of those questions, you still have to ask yourself if changing is worth uprooting family and risking security.

And I think all four of the mentioned coaches would answer "yes" to all of those questions.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/10/15 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I should have remembered that. I suppose that kind of counts as not having a supportive administration, although not really in the way I was thinking of it. I also remember the AD saying something pretty obnoxious about WCBB at the time she left, but that may really have been more about what was going on behind the scenes.

I think that is the Duke AD that put down women's basketball. I don't remember it coming from the Purdue AD - and I would certainly remember that.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/10/15 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seton Hall is looking for an assistant coach. Who left? And via tweet DO NOT CALL TONY BOZZELLA! ONLY E-MAIL HIM IF YOU WANT THE JOB! haha

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 04/10/15 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

I wouldn't want either of those coaches who already have head coaching jobs at other schools. Not because they wouldn't come here. But because they would cost way too much. And I'm not the biggest fan of Kim Mulkey honestly.

Granted tracking flights is a bit much. But I think Niele Ivey would be a great hire for Georgia. If she is willing to come here.

She's young, can recruit. And has had the opportunity to learn from a great coach. She'd be perfect. And wouldn't cost as much as the others.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/10/15 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shimmy Gray-Miller is now official to Florida.

FS02

PostPosted: 04/10/15 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
cattekin wrote:
Durantula wrote:
@ASGR1995
Head Coaching job #3 is now open. HC Anthony Levrets University of Utah & PAC 12 has been let go.

Candidates down to three, according to Mike Robinson at Swish Appeal: Hawaii's Laura Beeman, Fresno State's Jaime White, and Pacific's Lynne Roberts.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/4/8344627/coaching-search-update-utah-down-to-three-finalists

Laura Beeman appears to have taken her name out of the running for the Utah Head Coach position.

https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/586279564512514048

Great news for Hawai'i. I think that she would have been a good get for Utah, will be interested to see who they come up with now.

PostPosted: 04/10/15 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

I wouldn't want either of those coaches who already have head coaching jobs at other schools. Not because they wouldn't come here. But because they would cost way too much. And I'm not the biggest fan of Kim Mulkey honestly.

Granted tracking flights is a bit much. But I think Niele Ivey would be a great hire for Georgia. If she is willing to come here.

She's young, can recruit. And has had the opportunity to learn from a great coach. She'd be perfect. And wouldn't cost as much as the others.

Is Niele ready for a job that big?

Maybe start some place smaller.

I don't want her to go!

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/10/15 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

What are your thoughts, also more directed toward Georgia fans, or followers of the program, on the promotion of the Associate Head Coach or one of the current Assistant Coaches.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 04/10/15 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

What are your thoughts, also more directed toward Georgia fans, or followers of the program, on the promotion of the Associate Head Coach or one of the current Assistant Coaches.

I would be ok with Joni Crenshaw as the head coach. I viewed her as the coach in waiting and thought she'd be gone when Ole Miss and Bama were open. In terms of the other coaches, I don't want to lose Angie Johnson, but I don't think she'd be hire over Joni and I'm not sue if she's ready to be a head coach yet. With Robert Mosely, I just have a feeling that Georgia is going to hire a female.

The thing is, if they were going to promote from within, I would assume the athletic department would've already made the announcement. Plus, when things have stagnated some, (first missed tourney in 20 years), I think most people are wanting something different.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/10/15 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I would be ok with Joni Crenshaw as the head coach. I viewed her as the coach in waiting and thought she'd be gone when Ole Miss and Bama were open. In terms of the other coaches, I don't want to lose Angie Johnson, but I don't think she'd be hire over Joni and I'm not sue if she's ready to be a head coach yet. With Robert Mosely, I just have a feeling that Georgia is going to hire a female.

The thing is, if they were going to promote from within, I would assume the athletic department would've already made the announcement. Plus, when things have stagnated some, (first missed tourney in 20 years), I think most people are wanting something different.

Interesting perspective. Thanks for your opinions on the coaches.

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 04/10/15 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

Don't get me wrong. I like Crenshaw. But not as the coach to follow Andy. We could do much better than that. Plus we need someone who can recruit.. Someone who can keep the great talent in state.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: