RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/10/15 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Curry's biggest issue was NCAA violations and a civil war among her assistants. Her results weren't an issue, but the athletic department was more than happy to hold the door open for her and give her a nudge out it.

I should have remembered that. I suppose that kind of counts as not having a supportive administration, although not really in the way I was thinking of it. I also remember the AD saying something pretty obnoxious about WCBB at the time she left, but that may really have been more about what was going on behind the scenes.

I think that is the Duke AD that put down women's basketball. I don't remember it coming from the Purdue AD - and I would certainly remember that.

This is a dumb way to remember things, but I had a line from him in the 2006 April Fool's post about how he still didn't think that any women's basketball programs made money. (This post) That's why I think he said something at the time she left.

icey23

PostPosted: 04/11/15 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I heard Jewell Loyd was going to the WNBA my first thought was Niele Ivey has taken a coaching job. Welp Georgia got that girl. Nikki Caldwell vs Niele Ivey for best dress coach lol

PostPosted: 04/11/15 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good sources are now claiming Niele Ivey to be announced as new UGA head coach at Monday presser.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/11/15 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Good sources are now claiming Niele Ivey to be announced as new UGA head coach at Monday presser.

Interesting. Does McGraw hire another former point guard of hers, Megan Duffy? Does Niele Ivey retain some of UGA's assistants or try for a fresh start?

It does seem like a little of a surprise. The only news I've seen on the search has been at Swish Appeal http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/10/8383385/coaching-search-update-austin-peay-georgia-and-utah where they mention three coaches but not Niele Ivey.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/11/15 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Curry's biggest issue was NCAA violations and a civil war among her assistants. Her results weren't an issue, but the athletic department was more than happy to hold the door open for her and give her a nudge out it.

I should have remembered that. I suppose that kind of counts as not having a supportive administration, although not really in the way I was thinking of it. I also remember the AD saying something pretty obnoxious about WCBB at the time she left, but that may really have been more about what was going on behind the scenes.

I think that is the Duke AD that put down women's basketball. I don't remember it coming from the Purdue AD - and I would certainly remember that.

This is a dumb way to remember things, but I had a line from him in the 2006 April Fool's post about how he still didn't think that any women's basketball programs made money. (This post) That's why I think he said something at the time she left.

That's pretty funny Very Happy

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/11/15 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

Interesting. Does McGraw hire another former point guard of hers, Megan Duffy? Does Niele Ivey retain some of UGA's assistants or try for a fresh start?

It does seem like a little of a surprise. The only news I've seen on the search has been at Swish Appeal http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/10/8383385/coaching-search-update-austin-peay-georgia-and-utah where they mention three coaches but not Niele Ivey.

I haven't heard anything else. Georgia has customarily hired top assistants to fill HC positions in the past. They do this for football, so I would certainly look for them to do the same with basketball. As always, nothing is done until it is done.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/11/15 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stetson has an assistant coach opening because their website only shows two for some reason. http://www.gohatters.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=14600&SPID=7834&SPSID=69197

Assistant spots at LSU and Kentucky have gone unfilled for a long time now, not sure what is taking so long there. LSU for some reason didn't fill this spot last year and Kentucky had a coach resign very early in the year. You have teams like Florida hire two coaches when they just got openings a couple of weeks ago. I imagine the Maryland and Texas assistant openings are getting a lot of interest. Either its good the openings happened after the FF so those two head coaches weren't bombarded with people trying to talk to them or it is bad timing because there isn't a better place to find new candidates or do interviews than at the Final 4.

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/11/15 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Stetson has an assistant coach opening because their website only shows two for some reason. http://www.gohatters.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=14600&SPID=7834&SPSID=69197

Assistant spots at LSU and Kentucky have gone unfilled for a long time now, not sure what is taking so long there. LSU for some reason didn't fill this spot last year and Kentucky had a coach resign very early in the year.

Kentucky lost their assistant at the beginning of the season. Hard to look for and interview during the season. Mitchell is interviewing now.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/11/15 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Does Niele Ivey retain some of UGA's assistants or try for a fresh start?

This has all been on my mind for a while now.

As a BRAND NEW head coach, how do you assemble a staff? Do you keep assistants that you may have beat out for the job? Do you go find some on you own? How do you hire top assistants away from a job? You're a new coach, do you want new assistants? Or someone that can jump in and just take over?

Sure. Niele is a terrific recruiter, for someone else's system? If she's the one they hire, she's not going to be the one doing the bulk of the recruiting. How do you find someone, probably new, to recruit for you for a system that you really don't have yet?

Seems like a lot to take on at a program like UGA, in a conf. like the SEC.

The more I have been thinking about this, the more I hope that it's not her. Not yet. I know it's been done before and I know that there will be SOMEONE Wink that will come on here and give 10 gazillion examples of when it was done. I don't care.

I'm not saying that she's not ready to be a head coach. I'm just not sure she's ready at this level. Plus, I don't want to see her leave ND!!! Wink

FWIW, Niele was on the team when they beat UGA in '00-'01 at some kind of classic/challenge in WI. IIRC, it was a close game and thankfully ND had some fouls to give at the end and forced UGA to inbounds a couple of times and that ran the clock out.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/15 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Durantula wrote:

As a BRAND NEW head coach, how do you assemble a staff? Do you keep assistants that you may have beat out for the job? Do you go find some on you own? How do you hire top assistants away from a job? You're a new coach, do you want new assistants? Or someone that can jump in and just take over?

Sure. Niele is a terrific recruiter, for someone else's system? If she's the one they hire, she's not going to be the one doing the bulk of the recruiting. How do you find someone, probably new, to recruit for you for a system that you really don't have yet?

The more I have been thinking about this, the more I hope that it's not her. Not yet. I know it's been done before and I know that there will be SOMEONE Wink that will come on here and give 10 gazillion examples of when it was done. I don't care.

I'm not saying that she's not ready to be a head coach. I'm just not sure she's ready at this level. Plus, I don't want to see her leave ND!!! Wink

FYI, Niele was on the team when they beat UGA in '00-'01 at some kind of classic/challenge in WI. IIRC, it was a close game and thankfully ND had some fouls to give at the end and forced UGA to inbounds a couple of times and that ran the clock out.

I don't see how the challenges she would face would be different from those of any other coach stepping into this job.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm Georgia I don't promote Joni Crenshaw to HC. She's been there since 2011 and hasn't stop the Exodus of Elite Georgia HS Talent out of the State to play college ball. Possibly she's a good coach and would be a good hire, but I start over.

My first choice would be Niele Ivey unless a coach like Matt Insel would jump ship from Ole Miss. His name has been rumored and he's been out recruiting for Ole Miss. Kenny Brooks of JMU is supposedly a strong candidate but he doesn't have the experience of recruiting the ELite Players, while Niele Ivey does.

The Georgia board has Shea Ralph as a possible candidate. She however has not interviewed for the position.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/11/15 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Durantula wrote:

FYI, Niele was on the team when they beat UGA in '00-'01 at some kind of classic/challenge in WI. IIRC, it was a close game and thankfully ND had some fouls to give at the end and forced UGA to inbounds a couple of times and that ran the clock out.

I don't see how the challenges she would face would be different from those of any other coach stepping into this job.

If you're a coach at a smaller school, you probably have assistants that have been with you for a while, you know them, they know you/your style and what you're looking for in a player. You would have the option of bringing them with you, assuming that they want to come. It would be and easier transition and would result in better recruiting sooner, IMO.

Would make a lot of things easier allowing for more time spent on coaching which would/should result in better teams/programs

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/11/15 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She knows plenty of people who can be assistants.

Three years ago when Tsipis left his assistant's job at ND to take over at GW, he hired former ND point guard Megan Duffy (who had been working as an assistant at SJU for three years), Shay Hays (an assistant at East Carolina), and Dianne Richardson, coach at local and national powerhouse Riverdale Baptist and a fomer AU assistant (who knows the DC area like the back of her hand from a recruiting standpoint). He also hired another former player of his at ND, Erica Williamson, away from Loylola of MD to be DBO, the same job she was doing at Loyola.

As an aside, Duffy left GW to go back to work for Kim Barnes Arico, this time at Michigan, as an assistant this year. I wonder if she is on Muffett's short list if she needs to find a replacement for Ivey.

By the way, @wbballhoopscoop has tweeted that the UGA press conference may be moved back to Wed. and one rumor is that Kenny Brooks of JMU is also still a contender. Stay tuned.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/15 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Durantula wrote:

If you're a coach at a smaller school, you probably have assistants that have been with you for a while, you know them, they know you/your style and what you're looking for in a player. You would have the option of bringing them with you, assuming that they want to come. It would be and easier transition and would result in better recruiting sooner, IMO.

Would make a lot of things easier allowing for more time spent on coaching which would/should result in better teams/programs

Recruiting mid-major players is not the same as recruiting major conference players. CBB history is littered with coaches who couldn't make that adjustment.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

. Very Happy

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/11/15 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
She knows plenty of people who can be assistants.

Three years ago when Tsipis left his assistant's job at ND to take over at GW, he hired former ND point guard Megan Duffy (who had been working as an assistant at SJU for three years), Shay Hays (an assistant at East Carolina), and Dianne Richardson, coach at local and national powerhouse Riverdale Baptist and a fomer AU assistant (who knows the DC area like the back of her hand from a recruiting standpoint). He also hired another former player of his at ND, Erica Williamson, away from Loylola of MD to be DBO, the same job she was doing at Loyola.

As an aside, Duffy left GW to go back to work for Kim Barnes Arico, this time at Michigan, as an assistant this year. I wonder if she is on Muffett's short list if she needs to find a replacement for Ivey.

By the way, @wbballhoopscoop has tweeted that the UGA press conference may be moved back to Wed. and one rumor is that Kenny Brooks of JMU is also still a contender. Stay tuned.

Grrrrrrrr. I hope not.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come on dawgz, choose the ND babe and weaken that staff!

PostPosted: 04/12/15 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Durantula wrote:

FWIW, Niele was on the team when they beat UGA in '00-'01 at some kind of classic/challenge in WI. IIRC, it was a close game and thankfully ND had some fouls to give at the end and forced UGA to inbounds a couple of times and that ran the clock out.

This entire post is hilarious, and wrong for numerous reasons.

uconnfan1

PostPosted: 04/12/15 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about the new Head Coach at Georgia hiring someone off the staff of PeachStateHoops or Georgia Metros AAU Program. Georgia Metros is probably the Top AAU Program in the State of Georgia.

Wouldn't be unprecedented as other recent new coaches have hired staff off local AAU programs.

Who ever the new coach is, they got to find away to stop the exodus of all the Elite HS Talent in Georgia to other schools. They got to get some of the Elite players.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/15 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia promotes associate HC Joni Crenshaw to head coach

PostPosted: 04/12/15 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia promotes assistant coach Joni Crenshaw to be their new head coach. Not sure I get this hire. If Kenny Brooks did interview I think his body of work is quite impressive.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/12/15 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UGA press release says that Crenshaw is engaged to marry Darius Taylor in August. Taylor is an assistant coach at South Carolina, so can we presume this will be one of her first hires?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/12/15 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does this suggest that Landers just decided it was time to retire and that there is no dissatisfaction with the direction or performance of the program on the part of the administration?

UGA has been used before as an example of a double standard of settling for mediocre performance on the women's team. Does this hire reinforce that appearance? Or is it really a good move?

It seems they had an opportunity to make a splash, but just punted instead.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/12/15 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Does this suggest that Landers just decided it was time to retire and that there is no dissatisfaction with the direction or performance of the program on the part of the administration?

UGA has been used before as an example of a double standard of settling for mediocre performance on the women's team. Does this hire reinforce that appearance? Or is it really a good move?

It seems they had an opportunity to make a splash, but just punted instead.

I believe Landers retired on his own and was under no pressure from the administration, but that's just my guess. They didn't make the tournament for the first time in a long time but their best player was out for the year.

This hire does reinforce that appearance but especially from a recruiting standpoint this staff at Georgia has struggled so will things change much now? That is TBD. Just purely based on resumes I don't think there is a big difference between the recent hires at mid majors like Rice and North Texas and Georgia and that part is odd. Now the UGA coach has a big advantage in resources, recruiting and so forth but strictly speaking about resumes they are about the same. They all hired coaches from good programs who were good recruiters. If anything the North Texas coach recruited better Texas kids at UT than UGA has recruited in GA. The Rice coach was at a better program in Maryland and Maryland has a top GA player plus a couple of GA players coming in a year or two. That's UGA's big issue getting kids to stay home, but maybe a younger coach can better relate to today's youth than Landers can. The head coach means more in recruiting but it is still a little surprising because UGA on the recruiting trail wasn't doing so great.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 04/12/15 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
The UGA press release says that Crenshaw is engaged to marry Darius Taylor in August. Taylor is an assistant coach at South Carolina, so can we presume this will be one of her first hires?

Georgia has a nepotism policy, so I'm not sure if she'd be able to hire him. I know with football, coaches haven't been able to have siblings in staff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: