RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/07/15 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the timing, I guess she must have been interviewing during the tournament. Am I correct in thinking she replaced Jeff Walz on the Terps' staff?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 04/07/15 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Given the timing, I guess she must have been interviewing during the tournament. Am I correct in thinking she replaced Jeff Walz on the Terps' staff?

Yes and no.

Yes, she probably was interviewing in Tampa. She's had HC offers before, but Rice is a good opportunity, and obviously this time she accepted.

No, she didn't replace Walz. She joined two years after he left. IIRC, she replaced Daron Park (who is now HC of Cal State Fullerton).

Wish her the best. She will be missed.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/07/15 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Yes and no.

Yes, she probably was interviewing in Tampa. She's had HC offers before, but Rice is a good opportunity, and obviously this time she accepted.

No, she didn't replace Walz. She joined two years after he left. IIRC, she replaced Daron Park (who is now HC of Cal State Fullerton).

Hoop Scoop tweets that FIU is hiring a Maryland assistant Marlin Chinn as well. I'm sure Maryland will attract numerous strong candidates but replacing two coaches in one year is always tough. What I want to know is when someone will hire Shea Ralph or Niele Ivey or do they just not want to be head coaches?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 04/07/15 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Hoop Scoop tweets that FIU is hiring a Maryland assistant Marlin Chinn as well. I'm sure Maryland will attract numerous strong candidates but replacing two coaches in one year is always tough.

Really? If true, this is going to be tough on Brenda. She had a solid group of coaches who seemed to like each other and work well together. You can't stand in the way of people advancing, but sometimes it's not fun for those at the old workplace. Marlin deserves his chance, too. Wish him only the best.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/07/15 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Yes and no.

Thanks. From the very nice comment by Frese, it sounds like she didn't have a problem with that. (Or at least was willing to make it sound that way.)

Noting the later posts, losing two assistants to other HC jobs in the same season is tough.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 04/07/15 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
What I want to know is when someone will hire Shea Ralph or Niele Ivey or do they just not want to be head coaches?

Could it be that we will hear something about one or both of them taking jobs after tonight?

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/07/15 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
What I want to know is when someone will hire Shea Ralph or Niele Ivey or do they just not want to be head coaches?

Could it be that we will hear something about one or both of them taking jobs after tonight?

Unless Georgia is making a run at one of them, they are really moving in slow motion making this hire. With their resources, this shouldn't be that hard.

FS02

PostPosted: 04/07/15 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some programs seem to keep their top assistants forever, others get raided faster than the fridge at Matthew McConaughey's house. Confused

PostPosted: 04/07/15 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Unless Georgia is making a run at one of them, they are really moving in slow motion making this hire. With their resources, this shouldn't be that hard.

Has any other P5 program hired a coach yet?

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/07/15 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

It's been less than a month since Andy Landers announced his retirment. Unless Andy Landers was expected to retire, so the athletic department should have known and been prepared, I don't think they are moving that slow.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/08/15 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I am just hoping Niele stays at Notre Dame until Purdue finally cuts Versyp loose.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

It's been less than a month since Andy Landers announced his retirment. Unless Andy Landers was expected to retire, so the athletic department should have known and been prepared, I don't think they are moving that slow.

I get what you are saying. I just believe that an administrator has to always have an idea of what he or she would do or who they would talk to in the event they needed to make a hire.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Has any other P5 program hired a coach yet?

I have no idea, but there aren't any P5 programs open that are comparable to Georgia in my opinion. I have no connection to the Georgia program, but that is the way I see things.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/08/15 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I am just hoping Niele stays at Notre Dame until Purdue finally cuts Versyp loose.

I'm not sure that Niele would move on before her son is grown and off to college. She has a great support system in SB/ND and that has to be very important to her.

Can't imagine taking on a head coaching job for the first time as the single mom of a teenager.

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 04/08/15 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Niels Ivey is someone Georgia should look at. She's free to interview now.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/15 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marlin Chinn to FIU

http://www.fiusports.com/news/2015/4/8/WBB_0408150848.aspx?path=wbball

PostPosted: 04/08/15 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="beknighted"
Thanks. From the very nice comment by Frese, it sounds like she didn't have a problem with that. (Or at least was willing to make it sound that way.)

Noting the later posts, losing two assistants to other HC jobs in the same season is tough.[/quote]

Losing assistants I think is very tough from a recruiting perspective. You get new coaches who have to learn the new system and what the head coach wants in a recruit. Just looking on Hoopgurlz though, Maryland is in a good position because they already have 4 juniors committed which buys their new coaches time to learn the landscape without having to urgently find players. Arizona State, Iowa, NC State, and Purdue are the other schools with 3-4 commits already in the junior class which makes losing an assistant a little easier to handle for those programs this year

cometsfan05 wrote:

Honestly I think she might be a better fit for Purdue or Indiana if/when those open in the coming years. She is from Missouri so maybe a school like Kansas might be a good fit. Georgia is a really good job, I think they could find a current head coach with good credentials or an assistant who has a long history of recruiting in that region.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/08/15 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arkansas now has an opening on their staff but their roster doesn't show anyone having left yet. Any clue on who moved on?

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 04/08/15 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
[quote="beknighted"

Noting the later posts, losing two assistants to other HC jobs in the same season is tough.

Losing assistants I think is very tough from a recruiting perspective. You get new coaches who have to learn the new system and what the head coach wants in a recruit. Just looking on Hoopgurlz though, Maryland is in a good position because they already have 4 juniors committed which buys their new coaches time to learn the landscape without having to urgently find players. Arizona State, Iowa, NC State, and Purdue are the other schools with 3-4 commits already in the junior class which makes losing an assistant a little easier to handle for those programs this year

cometsfan05 wrote:

Honestly I think she might be a better fit for Purdue or Indiana if/when those open in the coming years. She is from Missouri so maybe a school like Kansas might be a good fit. Georgia is a really good job, I think they could find a current head coach with good credentials or an assistant who has a long history of recruiting in that region.[/quote]

All of the talent here has headed elsewhere. None of the coaches here have done a good job of keeping talent in state.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 04/08/15 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
Losing assistants I think is very tough from a recruiting perspective. You get new coaches who have to learn the new system and what the head coach wants in a recruit. Just looking on Hoopgurlz though, Maryland is in a good position because they already have 4 juniors committed which buys their new coaches time to learn the landscape without having to urgently find players.

In the short-term, yes, Maryland will be OK, but the recruiting pipeline stretches pretty far, and no question, Brenda's primary recruiters, Tina and Marlin, will be missed and extremely hard to replace. Not to mention (but I will) that Brenda is a coach who treats her assistants as critical members of her team, and she means it. She and Tina are close and Coach B made TL the Associate HC because she trusted her that much.

Brenda just completed a season where she had to, I won't say re-build, more like re-purpose her line-up after losing 5 seniors including Alyssa Thomas. I think she now has almost as hard a job ahead of her in re-building her coaching staff.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

North Texas is hiring Jalie Mitchell, the assistant coach for the University of Texas. On paper this is a strong hire. Alum of North Texas, coached there as an assistant, and has recruited well for Texas.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@wbballhoopscoop
Hearing that Bill Ferrara and shimmy gray miller have been hired as assts at Florida.

Wow I don't get these moves! Florida fired two assistant coaches and when that happens you think the head coach is feeling heat. UF has had off the court issues and I think Butler has maybe 1 year left where she better win or is in trouble.

Ferrara and Gray-Miller are at two very good programs, GW and Nebraska. I would stay on those two teams that will be NCAA bound again and then try to get a better job. I could see those two getting head coaching jobs from their schools. Is anyone hiring a Florida assistant to be head coach given how they aren't good?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
@wbballhoopscoop
Hearing that Bill Ferrara and shimmy gray miller have been hired as assts at Florida.

Wow I don't get these moves! Florida fired two assistant coaches and when that happens you think the head coach is feeling heat. UF has had off the court issues and I think Butler has maybe 1 year left where she better win or is in trouble.

Ferrara and Gray-Miller are at two very good programs, GW and Nebraska. I would stay on those two teams that will be NCAA bound again and then try to get a better job. I could see those two getting head coaching jobs from their schools. Is anyone hiring a Florida assistant to be head coach given how they aren't good?

Aren't good, or are just being used as scapegoats? That might be something to consider.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is UF pays a LOT more for WBB assistants than GW.

Plus GW may be a good springboard for a HC to move up to a better HC position, but I'm not sure people are lined up to give GW assts shots at being HCs. P5 experience, even under a bad head coach, is still likely seen as a good thing on his resume.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just think job security and success mean something. Is BCS experience on a bad team better than going to the tourney with a non P5 team? I don't know, an AD that thinks that when hiring is pretty dumb.

Maybe I'm wrong but looking at Florida's roster I don't see an NCAA tourney team and then you can start wondering whether Butler and her staff are retained. Nebraska gets Theriot back and adds a top 5 recruit, they should be playing in March Madness. GW has their best player Jones back so they should be good too. Florida? Jury is out on them. Money wise though I'm sure Florida is good plus the cost of living is low in Gainesville.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: