RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP poll week 10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:26 pm    ::: AP poll week 10 Reply Reply with quote

SCar
UConn
Baylor
Tie - Texas and Louisville
Tenn
ND
MD
Ore St
Ky

Florida State enters the poll at No. 20 while Western Kentucky drops out.

Sorry haven't found the full list yet

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:36 pm    ::: Re: AP poll week 10 Reply Reply with quote

It's up now:
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

CompSci87

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pac-12 doormat Arizona got 4 points despite being 0-4 in conference and 7-8 overall. Guess someone got them confused with Arizona State.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think I did too badly. KEN stayed at #10. MIN stayed on the poll and WKU dropped off despite not losing a game that week.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/10/seasontype/2

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I don't think I did too badly. KEN stayed at #10. MIN stayed on the poll and WKU dropped off despite not losing a game that week.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/10/seasontype/2

WKU is beating teams in their conference who have no chance of making the NCAA Tournament (barring Conf Tournament miracles) while Gophers barely lost to the now #8 team and Florida State beat Duke. Smile

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

WKU is beating teams in their conference who have no chance of making the NCAA Tournament (barring Conf Tournament miracles) while Gophers barely lost to the now #8 team and Florida State beat Duke. Smile

All of which basically makes the "poll" pretty much bull pucky. It continues to be regarded as gospel when it is nothing but opinion.

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

All of which basically makes the "poll" pretty much bull pucky. It continues to be regarded as gospel when it is nothing but opinion.

But I just stated why they got it right by dropping Western Kentucky out of the poll?!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand how Baylor is ranked as high as they are, but that sure seems like a mirage. They have gone 2-1 over ranked teams, but those wins are over a ludicrously over-ranked Oklahoma State and a squeaker over Syracuse.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And DePaul is somehow still getting votes. I know people have a (somewhat inexplicable) obsession with Doug Bruno, but this is ridiculous.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

You can use the same rationale for Princeton, but they get love because they are one of the last two unbeatens.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SYR took a beating for barely getting edged by Duke.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/12/15 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the yapping about stuff that happened early in the season is meaningless later in the season when teams are definitely not the same. All teams mature over the course of time, even UConn. And some change due to injury, transfer, newly eligible players, etc. So the Stanford that beat UConn early may very well get soundly drubbed if the game were held tomorrow, and Tennessee might well turn around and beat Texas next week. It's NOT "SSDD"!

PostPosted: 01/12/15 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

You can use the same rationale for Princeton, but they get love because they are one of the last two unbeatens.

Well, you can certainly question who Princeton has beaten, but on the flip side they have no bad losses unlike most of the teams with whom they are competing for votes. Princeton being ranked near the bottom doesn't offend me. Now whether 19 is starting to become unrealistically high is a different story.

I submit that George Washington at 14-2, with 12 straight wins, an RPI of 17, and an SOS of 29, is, with only 2 votes, the most underrated team in the land.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/12/15 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously, Arizona has 10 points in this poll, putting them at #34 in the nation...WTF?!?!!? Like a poster earlier said, this HAS to be a mistake right? Clearly whoever cast votes for them had to mean Arizona State.

Quote:
Others receiving votes: Western Kentucky 78, Chattanooga 49, Miami (FL) 41, Washington 24, South Florida 21, Iowa State 19, Northwestern 18, Green Bay 14, Arizona 10, Long Beach St 7, St. John's 7, Seton Hall 6, California 5, Depaul 3, George Washington 2, Ohio State 2

joetro

PostPosted: 01/12/15 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND should be higher than Louisville and Baylor, who haven't beaten/played anyone, and probably Tennessee, who lost to Chat. Fortunately upcoming games against Louisville and Tennessee will clarify this.

FS02

PostPosted: 01/12/15 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Seriously, Arizona has 10 points in this poll, putting them at #34 in the nation...WTF?!?!!? Like a poster earlier said, this HAS to be a mistake right? Clearly whoever cast votes for them had to mean Arizona State.

Quote:
Others receiving votes: Western Kentucky 78, Chattanooga 49, Miami (FL) 41, Washington 24, South Florida 21, Iowa State 19, Northwestern 18, Green Bay 14, Arizona 10, Long Beach St 7, St. John's 7, Seton Hall 6, California 5, Depaul 3, George Washington 2, Ohio State 2

Not the first time that's happened. Not only do they have the Pac-12 teams in the wrong order, they can't keep 'em straight. Embarassed

PostPosted: 01/12/15 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

Quote:

When I looked they had 4 (see earlier post), when you looked they had 10, and now they aren't listed. I guess there has been some typo correction going on.

Edit to add: The poll was corrected; see http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ap-women-s-basketball-poll-asu-arizona-rankings-011215

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/12/15 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL...seriously, if these writers don't know the difference between Arizona and ASU or even know that there are 2 different institutions, should they really have votes for the AP poll? I guess the Arizona State men's team will never get in the polls given the history of the Arizona program and their lofty status again this year.

I honestly don't see how this can happen unless someone is completely out of it...and by it, I mean life in general.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/12/15 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how many losses it will take for Duke to disappear entirely? No ACC games are a gimme...well maybe BC.

~rAf
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/12/15 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
LOL...seriously, if these writers don't know the difference between Arizona and ASU or even know that there are 2 different institutions, should they really have votes for the AP poll? I guess the Arizona State men's team will never get in the polls given the history of the Arizona program and their lofty status again this year.

I honestly don't see how this can happen unless someone is completely out of it...and by it, I mean life in general.

Maybe it's like a couple years ago when Jordan Crawford got a vote in the NBA for 6th Man of the Year, when Jamal Crawford was one of the top candidates.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/15 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm attempting a guess at Week 11 poll

1. SC
2. UCONN - Probably stuck here at least until 2/09.
3. BAY - Well coached but not a ton of talent. Still don't like seeing them this high.
4. LOU - By themselves this time.
5. TENN
6. ND
7. MARY
8. TEX
9. OREST
10. TAMU
11. STAN
12. ASU
13. KEN
14. UNC
15. DUKE
16. NEB
17. FSU
18. MISST
19. PRIN - No play, no gains
20. IA
21. MIN
22. GA
23. RUT - They deserved to be rewarded more but I can't see dropping GA more than 4 spots after beating VAN
24. SYR
25. WKU - Looks who's back!

Out: OKST - Bye!!

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/18/15 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I'm attempting a guess at Week 11 poll

1. SC
2. UCONN - Probably stuck here at least until 2/09.
3. BAY - Well coached but not a ton of talent. Still don't like seeing them this high.
4. LOU - By themselves this time.
5. TENN
6. ND
7. MARY
8. TEX
9. OREST
10. TAMU
11. STAN
12. ASU
13. KEN
14. UNC
15. DUKE
16. NEB
17. FSU
18. MISST
19. PRIN - No play, no gains
20. IA
21. MIN
22. GA
23. RUT - They deserved to be rewarded more but I can't see dropping GA more than 4 spots after beating VAN
24. SYR
25. WKU - Looks who's back!

Out: OKST - Bye!!

Sounds good to me. Amazing when you and I agree on something! Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/19/15 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering if UNC will be behind Ky. UNC has better record and lost to top 10 ND last week while Ky lost to unranked LSU. Also, will UNC drop behind Stanford which it beat and which has a worse record?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/19/15 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm wondering if UNC will be behind Ky. UNC has better record and lost to top 10 ND last week while Ky lost to unranked LSU. Also, will UNC drop behind Stanford which it beat and which has a worse record?

Are you also saying MIN should be above NEB?

I'm just trying to predict what this media panel will come up with based on their previous polls.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/19/15 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Are you also saying MIN should be above NEB?

Not exactly parralel. UNC was projected to be top 10 and has some wins like Stanford, OkSt and Rutgers.

Minnesota's record is very thin with really only the NU win being notable. They need to earn a higher ranking. That said, even though I like NU and expected (incorrectly it appears) that they would win the B10, I think their current ranking is based on preseason expectations and and the one win over Duke and indeed it wouldn't offend me if they fell a little.

But we're predicting poll movement and as you know movement in the polls isn't that rapid generally, so the NU-Minn situation is not equivalent to UNC-Ky-Stanford who were already much more closely bunched.

I was also trying to predict what the media panel would do. The rankings would probably look different if I was starting with a clean slate rather than making incremental changes from last week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: