RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

FR starting guard Sierra Calhoun leaving Duke
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/04/15 11:46 pm    ::: FR starting guard Sierra Calhoun leaving Duke Reply Reply with quote

She started all 13 games this season, but she has now left the program and is going to transfer.

What the heck is going on in that program.

As if Duke could afford to lose a guard this year.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/01/04/duke-womens-basketball-freshman-guard-sierra-calhoun-leaves-program-expected-transfer#.VKoWXfko5QQ

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/04/15 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry. Looked to see if there was already a thread on this, but didn't notice it was already covered in the general "transfers" thread. Mods, feel free to delete.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/04/15 11:56 pm    ::: Re: FR starting guard Sierra Calhoun leaving Duke Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
She started all 13 games this season, but she has now left the program and is going to transfer.

What the heck is going on in that program.

As if Duke could afford to lose a guard this year.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/01/04/duke-womens-basketball-freshman-guard-sierra-calhoun-leaves-program-expected-transfer#.VKoWXfko5QQ

Some people here like to deny what goes on behind the scenes at Duke. Let's just say it's now going on in public. That's three burger players in a little over a year. Not many ways to spin it positive.

Only a few Pollyanna fans saying things like "we've got to make the offense less predictable," as if something that hasn't changed in 7.5 years is suddenly going to improve. Everybody else is talking about how they're running out of ways to think this program will ever be competitive.

It's a little early, but here goes "Just wait til next year."

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/04/15 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm sorry. Looked to see if there was already a thread on this, but didn't notice it was already covered in the general "transfers" thread. Mods, feel free to delete.

This one seems big enough to warrant its' own thread.

~rAf
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/05/15 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

This one seems big enough to warrant its' own thread.

Even I want Duke to fire JPM.

PostPosted: 01/05/15 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke being mediocre is bad for women's basketball.

They played a very entertaining brand of basketball under Coach G. It was good for TV viewers to turn on a game and see a good passing team that could score and play stifling defense in front of a loud/engaged 5 to 6K avg. thousand fans in Cameron. It was a great way to showcase the sport.

Now, not so much.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 01/05/15 5:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke has played an amazing schedule so far and dealt with injuries.

They "should" make a deep run in the tourney, and really nobody will be calling for JPM's firing then.

PostPosted: 01/05/15 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
Duke has played an amazing schedule so far and dealt with injuries.

They "should" make a deep run in the tourney, and really nobody will be calling for JPM's firing then.

With this view, you are a minority of one. Even the most stalwart McCallie apologists have switched over to "next year." And the ESPN weekend wrap of this program was brutally honest in saying this program is in trouble BECAUSE of McCallie. Cited in their assessment was McCallie calling out her players as being "pathetic" when she herself is the only constant in 8 years of getting trounced by UConn.

Injuries have been a factor in underperforming in the post season relative to the strength of recruiting. At this point, defections from the team are impacting the team more than injuries, including a greater than 100% turnover of asst coaches, with "sweater guy" watching a carousel of coaches leaving for lateral positions.

~rAf
ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/05/15 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
. . . . And the ESPN weekend wrap of this program was brutally honest in saying this program is in trouble BECAUSE of McCallie. Cited in their assessment was McCallie calling out her players as being "pathetic" when she herself is the only constant in 8 years of getting trounced by UConn. . . .

I went to ESPN and read what Graham Hays had to say. Brutally honest is right! Wow. Shocked

ESPN Graham Hays wrote:
. . . .You can win plenty of ACC games with those two scoring and getting the ball to Elizabeth Williams and all of Duke's still-abundant size.

But where is this program at the moment after losing a second top recruit in as many seasons? Joanne P. McCallie was brutal in her assessment of her players after the Connecticut loss, calling their effort "pathetic" and saying it was "typical" that there was "no defensive leadership" when Connecticut took control in the second half. Considering Connecticut has been doing much the same thing to Duke through a number of rosters in recent years, it was a curious distribution of accountability. Maybe the message needed to be blunt and maybe it resonated with players who didn't let a bad start Sunday become a capitulation. But from start to finish, the past seven days did not engender a great deal of confidence in the program's present or its future.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/05/15 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I must admit I cringed watching JPM in the presser after the UConn game and felt bad for the players.

Quite the creep.

PostPosted: 01/05/15 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really. I am not particularly a McCallie fan but the fact that she is singled out for voicing negative things about her players is disingenuous. I would like to know which coaches don't do the same thing.

As far as Calhoun is concerned, she is a chucker and has shown little about being a team player, I am sure that is not all McCallies fault.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/05/15 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not all coaches throw their players under the bus on a regular basis like JPM. After a loss, negative comments about her players is her default mode. Completely unnecessary IMO.

I don't think Graham Hays would have called her out for lack of accountability if going negative on your own players is business as usual in WCBB.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/05/15 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Not all coaches throw their players under the bus on a regular basis like JPM. After a loss, negative comments about her players is her default mode. Completely unnecessary IMO.

I don't think Graham Hays would have called her out for lack of accountability if going negative on your own players is business as usual in WCBB.

Nobody questioned it back in Pat Summitt's day. She's the closest thing to an army drill sergeant I've ever seen.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/05/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Nobody questioned it back in Pat Summitt's day. She's the closest thing to an army drill sergeant I've ever seen.

Plenty of people called out Coach Summitt for this and other things. However, given the strength of her former players connection to her, there had to be a "warm and fuzzy" side that made up for some of her bluntness and calling players out in the postgame presser. And for Pat, this was not something she did after every loss. When Duke beat Tennessee in 1999, she credited Coach G and the Duke players for Tennessee's defeat. I don't recall this happening with JPM. While she occasionally credits opponent players, her standard is to be extremely critical of her own players and not accepting any responsibility herself.

~rAf
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/05/15 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I've heard Geno throw players under the bus before as well. It happens...maybe a little more frequently with JPM but who knows. This will be an interesting week for the Blue Devils as they play both Syracuse and Florida State, 2 teams that should finish among the top 5 or 6 teams in the ACC.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/05/15 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed in the presser after the Minnesota game that Purdue's coach was doing the opposing players' jersey numbers thing that McCallie got heavily criticized for. I'm surprised there wasn't a press release about it.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/05/15 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've heard Geno throw players under the bus before as well. It happens...maybe a little more frequently with JPM but who knows. . .

You definitely have heard Geno do it too. JPM is not the only coach who does it. Some coaches do call out players publicly after poor performances. But what irriates me about JPM is how she never seems to share any responsibility when her team plays poorly.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/05/15 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Flynn in a Tweet is saying something happened during a Duke Practice:

[​IMG] Mike Flynn ‏@MikeFlynn826 4m4 minutes ago Los Angeles, CA
@cterrier100 @BlueStarMedia1 @WKGameBall @Duke_WBB After the Duke practice videos, Calhoun incident, a change is mandated, unless covered up

Mike Flynn ‏@MikeFlynn826 22h22 hours ago
@WKGameBall @BlueStarMedia1 @Duke_WBB How many people have to leave before admins figure it out? Ask those who exited. Fired is this is #MBB
noleman

PostPosted: 01/05/15 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I noticed in the presser after the Minnesota game that Purdue's coach was doing the opposing players' jersey numbers thing that McCallie got heavily criticized for. I'm surprised there wasn't a press release about it.

Yep, i noticed that too after FSU played Purdue.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/05/15 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I don't understand why coaches would be criticized for that. When you go over a scouting report with your team and make preparations for games, the opposing players are always known by their numbers. Why is this a big deal?

And I really don't mean to address this at you per se, just quoted you as you brought up the numbers thing. I don't see why it's a problem.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/05/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This surprises me.

I was also somewhat surprised how quickly the recruiting interest in UConn seemed to drop. I have video of Calhoun telling me in October of her junior year that she had an offer from UConn and I had seen UConn coaches at her CTK games since her freshman year. The final reports seemed to be that Calhoun had named UConn, Duke and Notre Dame as her final three. The outside world was virtually unanimously convinced that UConn has a big lead because of her brother's being there.

Yet by early spring Sierra had committed to Duke.

I never had any inside information, but personally never thought Calhoun was a particularly good fit for UConn and still don't. That opinion is simply based on her skill set and playing style. Calhoun was vocal in expressing her interest in being a point guard--and I have that on tape--but I could never see her at that position at the UConn level. Yet I was surprised at the rather quick deterioration of the UConn courtship.

I can be noted that Calhoun committed to Duke about six days after Gabby Williams committed to UConn. Maybe that was a factor.

Back to the point guard preference issue, here's how Calhoun explained her Duke decision to one publication:

"Well Coach P (Joanne P. McCallie) wants me to come in and be a impact player from day one at the guard spot they will be loosing Chelsea Gray; I think Coach P and Duke's program is ready and on the verge of something real special." When Asked do you feel you stand a chance of winning a NCAA Title at Duke she replied firmly and calm "I believe that Duke will win a national title that's why I'm going there."

With uber-magical Angela Salvadores and Kyra Lambert coming to Duke next season as point/combo guards, maybe Calhoun finally realized she wasn't going to be the Duke point guard and/or that she wasn't going to win a national championship.

I don't see Calhoun at UConn. I don't know that Duke would release her to another ACC school, so that would eliminate Notre Dame (where she wouldn't play PG either) and Louisville. Yet Calhoun surely still is a competitor who wants a national championship. Could that be Dawn Staley or Holly Warlick knocking on the door?
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/05/15 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Really. I am not particularly a McCallie fan but the fact that she is singled out for voicing negative things about her players is disingenuous. I would like to know which coaches don't do the same thing.

As far as Calhoun is concerned, she is a chucker and has shown little about being a team player, I am sure that is not all McCallies fault.

For nix and all others who insinuate JPM is being undeservedly criticized and/or that I as a UConn fan am being selective:

Sure, over the last 30 years I've seen Geno occasionally throw a player under the bus; more often it's the whole team. (I'm also aware of the great things he does for the players). I've seen Pat do it. I've seen many coaches across the sports spectrum do it, and, therefore, it's not an automatically "shocking" thing to me.

So, when I watch a coach do it- especially a coach who, up until recently was held in esteem due to that '05 MSU team and who I thought was being unjustly criticized by RAF, et al,- and it gets this kind of reaction out of me, it's more than just another pissed-off/embarrassed coach not surprisingly blowing off steam, imo.

Idk how to explain it- she/the presser was dark. It was weird. IOW, watching that scene made her track record of transfers and a revolving door of assts. seem like no surprise.

PostPosted: 01/05/15 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don't understand why coaches would be criticized for that. When you go over a scouting report with your team and make preparations for games, the opposing players are always known by their numbers. Why is this a big deal?

And I really don't mean to address this at you per se, just quoted you as you brought up the numbers thing. I don't see why it's a problem.
Last season, Muffet took some passive agressive at Coach P in reference to her players being called by their numbers. Some Duke fans mad with P for losing to another top ranked opponent, has been criticizing her about that ever since.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/05/15 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Shades wrote:

Last season, Muffet took some passive agressive at Coach P in reference to her players being called by their numbers. Some Duke fans mad with P for losing to another top ranked opponent, has been criticizing her about that ever since.

Ah, thank you. I remember that now.

I get that obviously players like Diggins are going to be known by face and not just their number. But the reality is, for the overwhelming majority of players, they are going to be known by their numbers when preparing and executing a game plan.

"We are not going to let #13 get any open looks." "#45 always turns over her left shoulder. Make her go right." "Force #3 to the right."

I don't know...maybe some are more sensitive and feel it's some sort of disrespect type of thing. I don't view it that way at all.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/05/15 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Shades wrote:

Ah, thank you. I remember that now.

I get that obviously players like Diggins are going to be known by face and not just their number. But the reality is, for the overwhelming majority of players, they are going to be known by their numbers when preparing and executing a game plan.

"We are not going to let #13 get any open looks." "#45 always turns over her left shoulder. Make her go right." "Force #3 to the right."

I don't know...maybe some are more sensitive and feel it's some sort of disrespect type of thing. I don't view it that way at all.

I think it's very well understood that player numbers need to be used prepping for the game and during the game. It's when it carries over to talking to the press it becomes problematic. It's like the opponents are not really people. At some point, you've got to turn them back into full human beings. Also worth pointing out is McCallie failing to shake hands with Diamond DeShields after the game and her husband tweeting something along the lines of "you don't have to respect evil - you can pass it on by." [NOT AN EXACT QUOTE]. These two things together show a pattern of a lack of sportsmanship.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: