RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The MAC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowboxer

PostPosted: 03/08/15 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This year, with the parity, bunch up of teams so close, I have quoted a radio announcer, tv announcer, first internet run on a game several times just to have stats, pronouncements on placements, games, probable opposition change in a matter of hrs.

Again, this is the case. Toledo will be playing Miami, not BG or Kent at home on Monday night.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 03/08/15 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deleted.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/08/15 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First round games start Monday at campus sites:

#11 Kent State at #6 Eastern Michigan, 5:00 PM ET. Video will be available through the EMU site at a cost of $6.95. There was only one regular season meeting between the teams, which EMU won 70-53 in Kent on 2/4/15.

#12 Bowling Green at #5 Western Michigan, 5:30 PM ET. Video may be available through the WMU site at a cost of $8.95. WMU won the only regular season matchup, 82-52, on 1/21 in Kalamazoo.

#9 Central Michigan at #8 Northern Illinois, 6:30 PM ET. ESPN3 will carry it. The teams split their regular season matches: CMU won in Mt. Pleasant on 1/10, 56-43; while NIU won in DeKalb on 2/25, 69-62.

#10 Miami at #7 Toledo, 7:00 PM ET. ESPN3 and BCSN will carry it. Toledo won the only meeting, 63-53 in Toledo on 1/3.

The current tournament system, which rewards seeds 1-4 with double and triple byes and requires seeds 5-12 to win five games, with the last four being on consecutive days, has only been in effect since 2012. No #1 seed has won any of the three tournaments played under the format, and only one #2 seed, EMU in 2012, has won. None of the 5-12 seeds have won it, although a couple have come close. #5 CMU lost in the 2012 finals, and #5 Ball State did the same in 2014. The early results are that the double-bye #3 and #4 teams have profited most from the format. CMU won the tournament as a #4 seed in 2013, and Akron won as a #3 last year.

Of the dark horse #5-#12 teams in this year's tournament, Eastern might have the best chance to run the gauntlet. The Eagles have successfully rebounded from Shannise Heady's death to go 8-2 since the beginning of February, have won 4 straight, and have beaten top seeds Ohio and Ball State during that stretch.

PostPosted: 03/09/15 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All-MAC teams have been announced, with POY, FOY and COY to come tomorrow.

Quote:

2014-15 All-Mid-American Conference First Team
Sina King, Akron, F
Nathalie Fontaine, Ball State, F
Amanda Corral, Northern Illinois, G
Kiyanna Black, Ohio, G
Inma Zanoguera, Toledo, G

2014-15 All-Mid-American Conference Second Team
Anita Brown, Akron, G
Kristen Sharkey, Buffalo, F
Crystal Bradford, Central Michigan, G/F
Cha Sweeney, Eastern Michigan, G
Miracle Woods, Western Michigan, F/C

2014-15 All-Mid-American Conference Third Team
Hannah Plybon, Akron, G
Jill Morrison, Ball State, G
Mackenzie Loesing, Buffalo, G
CiCi Shannon, Kent State, C
Quiera Lampkins, Ohio, F

2014-15 All-Mid-American Conference Honorable Mention
Deborah Hoekstra, Bowling Green, G
Christa Baccas, Buffalo, C/F
Da'Jourie Turner, Central Michigan, G
Mariah Byard, Ohio, G
Brenae Harris, Toledo, G

2014-15 Mid-American Conference All-Freshman Team
Kerri McMahan, Akron, G
Moriah Monaco, Ball State, G
Baleigh Reid, Miami, G
Kelly Smith, Northern Illinois, F
Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott, Toledo, G

2014-15 Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Year
Christa Baccas, Buffalo, C/F

2014-15 Mid-American Conference Sixth Player of the Year
Mackenzie Loesing, Buffalo, G

PostPosted: 03/09/15 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finals from first round play saw only one upset, and that was in the #8-#9 game.

Eastern Michigan 70, Kent State 52
Western Michigan 65, Bowling Green 42
Central Michigan 49, Northern Illinois 44
Toledo 62, Miami 47

The tournament now moves to Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. The second round on Wednesday will match WMU against CMU, and EMU against Toledo.

PostPosted: 03/10/15 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toledo had a solid game last night, with Bravo-Harriet getting the hot hand again and just named the MAC Freshman of the year.

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=209950487

Inma had to sit out relatively early in the first half due to acquiring 2 fouls , however after a slow start for both teams, a tenacious defense and steady offense kept Toledo in the lead from beginning to end of game.

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=89715&SPID=10722&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209948072&DB_OEM_ID=18000

Toledo moves on to Cleveland and will play Eastern MI in the second game tomorrow afternoon at around 2:30.pm

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/10/15 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In addition to Bravo-Harriott's Freshman of the Year award, Sina King of Akron picked up Player of the Year honors and Ohio's Bob Boldon was named Coach of the Year.

The MAC says Wednesday's second round games will be live-streamed, I assume for free.

http://mac-sports.com/tournaments/?id=30

#5 Western Michigan vs. #9 Central Michigan, 12:00 Noon ET. The teams split their regular season games, with WMU winning in Kalamazoo 69-64 on 2/7/15 and CMU claiming the return match in Mt. Pleasant, 63-51 on 2/21/15.

#6 Eastern Michigan vs. #7 Toledo, 2:30 PM ET. Another season split: EMU won 75-61 in Toledo on 1/24/15 and Toledo won 81-72 in Ypsilanti on 2/21/15.

PostPosted: 03/11/15 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Joe. Toledo was the last team to beat EMU, at EMU, but has had difficulty w/them in Cleveland. If Toledo's defensive game against Miami is repeated, w/steady and somewhat increased production on offense from multiple players, minus excess turnovers, I think they have a decent shot at this. Would be nice to see a repeat of Bravo-Harriet, Inma, Sophie Recker and Brenae Harris all having hot hands, simultaneously!

Go Rockets!

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/11/15 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The livestream is working for the WMU/CMU game, although it is the arena video feed, meaning the PA announcer is all that can be heard and that replays interrupt live action. But the video quality is pretty good. Western has been shooting the 3-point lights out and is up 42-27 at the half.

Here is a more direct link to the video feed:

http://mac-sports.com/watch/?Live=115

PostPosted: 03/11/15 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm catching the 2nd half on my lunch. It's amazing how different CMU is from last season. I know they've lost three to knee injuries this season, but I didn't realize until today how much that changed their tempo and penetration.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/11/15 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final WMU 81, CMU 68. The Chips scored well in the second half against the normally stingy Broncos defense, but just couldn't get any stops. Marquisha Harris had not been having the kind of season that she did last year for WMU, averaging only 6.6 ppg. But today she came off the bench and scored well. Good final games for CMU seniors Kerby Tamm (20 points) and Lorreal Jones (14/12 double/double), who kept the Chips in this game most of the way.

Western moves on to face Buffalo tomorrow in the noon third round (fka quarterfinal) game.

PostPosted: 03/11/15 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Same link for the stream of EMU/Toledo.
http://mac-sports.com/watch/?Live=115

PostPosted: 03/11/15 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At half, Toledo 28, EMU 33. Hot 3 pt shooting game for booth teams. Bravo-Harriet w/15 pts-3's. EMU zone not letting Toledo inside often, other than scoring by Inma on steals etc... EMU scoring in and outside-expect defensive adjustments by Cullop for Toledo in 2nd half.

Teams played slower half-court game in 1rst half, not contesting 3's too often. Impressed w/Toledo's offense so far, other than reduced inside game.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 03/11/15 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final score EMU 74-57. Some changes made by Rockets as they did tighten defense, get a few stops and Sophie scored or was fouled attempting to score inside several times, but the score gap remained mostly unchanged due to EMU's offense; Cha Sweeney, w/supporting cast.

Jay-Ann Harriet was in the stratosphere with 7 made treys, a Tournament record! Altogether she scored 30 pts.

EMU's Sweeney hit 29 pts w/3 treys and 10/22 twos, several quite long resulting in periodic score board corrections. Two other EMU players were in double figures, however, which made the scoring difference.

Will put up official stats/game summary when available.* EMU moves on and Inma plays her last game for the Rockets. Sad

Am looking forward to watching what will be a promising mix of sophmores & juniors, as well as some outstanding new freshmen take the stage next.(2 headed to Columbus,OH for HS finals playoffs) Very Happy

*http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=89715&SPID=10722&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209954194&DB_OEM_ID=18000

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/11/15 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your game story link is broken, boxer. Let's see if this one works.

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=209954194

Third round games on Thursday, with the survivors from the first two rounds matched against the #3 and #4 seeds, who received double byes:

#5 Western Michigan vs. #4 Buffalo, 12 Noon ET. Each team won a game on the other's court, with the Broncos taking the 1/13/15 game in Buffalo, 62-59, and the Bulls returning the favor on 2/14/15 in Kalamazoo, 54-44.

#6 Eastern Michigan vs. #3 Akron, 2:30 PM ET. The Zips took the only regular season meeting, 65-48 in Akron on 1/10/15.

Looks like these games will be live streamed through the MAC Digital Network. But I'll be in Cleveland watching them live from a comfy seat in the Q, as a warm-up for the Bobcats' game on Friday.

PostPosted: 03/11/15 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for correcting the link, Joe. My on going battle w/technology-such a Luddite sometimes.

Enjoy your seat and the games. Looking forward to reading your updates and perhaps BallSt84's as well.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/12/15 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two very different games today. Buffalo squeezed by Western Michigan 63-60. Although neither team shot very well, it was an interesting game to watch. Miracle Woods for WMU and Kristen Sharkey of UB waged a back and forth scoring battle down the second half stretch. Woods nearly won the game with her 27 points, but Sharkey's 19 combined with some unexpected scoring punch from the Bulls' point guard Stephanie Reid (16 points) carried the day. Buffalo moves on to play Ohio in the semis at noon Friday. Ohio won both regular season meetings in close games, 61-50 in Buffalo on 1/3, and 78-70 in Athens on 2/25.

Eastern Michigan was playing its third game in four days, but looked anything but tired, shooting 10/16 from three in the first half and following that up with a 5/10 performance from deep in the second. They ended up with a blowout 95-66 win. Multiple players scored well for the Eagles, but it again was Cha Sweeney (24 points) whom the Zips had no answer for. Sina King kept the Zips in it for a while, but her production was not nearly enough. Tomorrow at 2:30 PM it will be the turn of the Ball State Cardinals to try and stop the EMU Express. The teams split in the regular season, BSU winning 72-62 in Ypsilanti on 2/11/15 but losing 56-41 in Muncie on 2/25/15.

Both of the semifinal games will be broadcast on ESPN3 as well as on TimeWarner Cable and on some regional providers.

Attendance was listed at 2751, but it should be listed with an asterisk. Multiple busloads of area children were brought in to boost the numbers. They greatly outnumbered the actual fans of the teams involved. I couldn't tell where the kids came from, but given that several of them quickly covered their faces with their hoodies when the "Fan-Cam" focused on them, I'm guessing that not all of them came from scholarly institutions. Or maybe they just didn't want to see their faces on the "Humongotron", as the PA announcer called the video display in Quicken Loans Arena.

PostPosted: 03/13/15 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be #1 Ohio vs. #6 Eastern Michigan tomorrow at 1:00 PM ET in the tournament final. ESPN3, TimeWarner, BCSN and some other regional carriers will televise it.

Ohio defeated Buffalo 63-55 in the first semifinal. It was clear from the outset that Bob Boldon was going to concentrate on stopping the Bulls' big front line by packing in the defense and daring UB guards to shoot the three-ball. The strategy ultimately worked, but just barely, as Buffalo shot 9-19 from deep, led by Joanna Smith with 4-6. But leading scorer Kristen Sharkey was held largely in check with 12 points, and without a big game from her, the Bulls were unable to generate much offense.

It was also clear from the outset that Felicia Legette-Jack was going to concentrate on stopping Ohio's leading scorer Kiyanna Black, and the Bulls did a pretty good job of that, holding her to 13 points and swatting away many of her shots at the rim. But Ohio also got some unexpected scoring from Lexie Baldwin, who missed the last regular season game with a knee injury, and from Mariah Harris, who came off the bench. Then late in the second half, Mariah Byard, who had shot poorly all game, knocked down a big three and sealed the deal with four straight free throws when Buffalo was forced to foul. A close game throughout, as all three of the Ohio/UB matches have been, but Ohio ends up going 3-0 against the Bulls.

As for the second semifinal, I would be OK with giving Cha Sweeney the tourney MVP award even if she didn't play in tomorrow's game. She was again dominant, scoring 25 in the Eagles' 75-65 upset of #2 Ball State. The Cardinals stayed in this one, but were never able to cut the lead below 8. Sweeney finally showed signs of being human in the second half after Ball State fully committed to putting constant pressure on her, but the Eagles have plenty of other scoring options, and the game never got really close.

Attendance was listed at 1106, with no schoolchildren being brought in today. I estimated the fans present at about 300 for Ohio, 200 for Buffalo, 150 for Ball State and under 100 for Eastern Michigan. Not having Toledo or Bowling Green in the late rounds of the tournament certainly hurts attendance.

PostPosted: 03/13/15 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While watching EMU, noted they did seem to be experiencing tired legs, especially in the 2nd half. Although they have other offensive options, not sure how they will do w/o Sweeney at 100% tomorrow throughout the entire game. After the no# of games they played, tired leg syndrome has to be a factor tomorrow.

Definitely hear you regarding Cha-shooting lights out, accompanied by razor sharp passes, or ducking under and between taller players to score inside herself. Very crafty, electrifying ptg, using her short stature as an asset, rather than a drawback.

The game is on BCSN2 in Toledo. As Cha and several other players are from Toledo, will watch w/mixed feelings.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/14/15 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jooooooooooooooooe! Joe Joe Joe Joe! Congrats!

Listened to bits and pieces of the game from my husband's laptop. Sounds like EMU ran out of gas?

PostPosted: 03/14/15 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am waiting for Joe to describe game first myself. Watched game on TV, still feel had right call in my last post, but waiting for Joe's description.

Congrats on first Tournament Championship/post season play in 20 yrs OU. Smile

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/14/15 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back in Athens with two pieces of confetti in my pocket to attest that "I Am A Witness" to the Bobcats' 60-44 victory which sends them to the dance! The confetti's not much, but it was free, and after living in the land of $25.00 parking and $7.00 hotdogs for three days, I took what I could get.

I freely admit that good fortune smiled on Ohio this season. For example, would the Bobcats have won today if Eastern had won just one more regular season game and earned the fourth seed instead of the sixth? The Eagles would then have only had to play three tournament games instead of five, and surely would have been fresher than they were today. Not that their effort was lacking, but shots were consistently short, even for Cha Sweeney. She still put up 24, but her 13 teammates combined for only another 20. I think I still would have given Sweeney the MVP, even for the second place team. In five tournament games, she scored 123 points and bedeviled all opponents.

But I could also see why the MVP went not to Sweeney, but to Ohio's Kiyanna Black. She had a miserable first half today, scoring only four points and jeopardizing the team's chances to win in a space of about ten seconds when she was stripped of the ball, committed a make-up foul trying to get it back, and then uttered a magic word to earn a technical. She cost Ohio two points, the ball, and her services for much of the half as she had to ride the bench with two fouls. I was roundly cursing her stupidity (my tendency to do this out loud is why I always sit out of earshot of players' parents). But somehow she shook it off during halftime, got refocused, and started knocking down shots in the second half. Lots of shots. Beautiful shots. I was screaming her praises, hoping her parents could hear. She ended the game with 25, and I doubt that Ohio could have won without her effort.

Other good games came from Mariah Byard, who nailed 4 threes in the first half, and Lexie Baldwin. Both of them made the all-tourney team along with Sweeney and Black, as did Buffalo's Kristen Sharkey.

I don't know how it looked on TV, but I was pretty pleased with the attendance, especially from Ohio, who I guessed had somewhere between 500-600. About 200 for EMU, and there was also a solid group of non-aligned fans, which was nice to see. I'd call it between 1200-1500 in all.

PostPosted: 03/14/15 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Celebrate and enjoy! Do you know yet who you might play at The Dance? Haven't looked at any Bracket guesses for awhile, afraid of jinxes.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/14/15 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last I saw, Charlie Crème had us going to Lexington to face Kentucky. At other times he supposed we would go to Chapel Hill to take on North Carolina. I'd be OK with either of those, since they're within driving distance. Please don't send us to Texas or California.

Ohio's win means that Ball State gets the MAC's auto invite to the WNIT. You're welcome, BallState1984.

EDIT: And why does that backward accent mark appear every time I type Charlie's last name?

PostPosted: 03/15/15 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wish I could have been there to see this. I have been on the road for work and I have barely had time to sleep.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: