RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The MAC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BallState1984

PostPosted: 01/03/15 10:30 pm    ::: The MAC Reply Reply with quote

Time to get this show started!

I was beginning to think Brady Sallee's butt was getting a little warm then Ball State goes to BG and opens a big old can! I am waiting to see the write up and to hear what Marty has to say!

PostPosted: 01/03/15 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was wondering what happen end to BGSU this year, and then I found this...two ACLs in the same game! Damn

Bowling Green State University women's basketball student-athletes Erica Donovan and Lauren Webb are expected to miss the remainder of the 2014-15 season due to injury, head coach Jennifer Roos has announced. Both Donovan, a redshirt junior, and Webb, a freshman, were injured during the Falcons' win at Illinois State University on Dec. 19.

Additionally, redshirt freshman Leah Bolton will apply for a medical retirement with the NCAA due to recurring injuries, ending her BGSU playing career.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/03/15 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it a little early for his seat to be getting hot? I mean, it's just his 3rd year. His MAC record coming into this year was 21-13 so it's not like he's been terrible. His first year they went to the WNIT Sweet 16 and then last year made it back to the WNIT after losing in the MAC title game (beat #25 BG in the semifinals).

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/04/15 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Central Michigan has also been hit hard by injuries. Senior PG Jessica Green is out for the season after an ACL injury in the Chips' last OOC game against Dayton. CMU earlier lost Jewel Cotton for the year to an ACL. Crystal Bradford has been putting up good numbers, but is still on the mend from knee surgery last March.

Ohio has been a pleasant surprise, with a 10-2 overall record following a 61-50 win at Buffalo yesterday. Part of the reason for the improvement has been a pretty weak OOC schedule, but the Bobcats are also a better team this year. They started the season with some gaudy offensive numbers, but those have been declining as teams have begun to pressure the ball more and extend the defense against Ohio's 3-point attack. Still, the Bobcats have been winning games they would have lost last season, when they only won 8 games total against D1 opponents, with just 4 MAC wins.

PostPosted: 01/04/15 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know I sound like a Purdue fan right now, but the bad losses and the off court issues have me concerned. Two players were ran off after the season for no better reason than they were not HIS players and Brittany Carter was fed up and chose to graduate early and go to Illinois to wreak havoc in the B1G. Then four of his recruits are ruled ineligible due to not meeting academic minimums. I know all coaches get upset during the course of a game, but kicking at a very pregnant DOBO is out of line in my books.

Sure I know this team is capable of a lot more wins, but I am not willing to bend the rules or allow bullying to achieve those goals.

PostPosted: 01/04/15 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
I know I sound like a Purdue fan right now, but the bad losses and the off court issues have me concerned. Two players were ran off after the season for no better reason than they were not HIS players and Brittany Carter was fed up and chose to graduate early and go to Illinois to wreak havoc in the B1G. Then four of his recruits are ruled ineligible due to not meeting academic minimums. I know all coaches get upset during the course of a game, but kicking at a very pregnant DOBO is out of line in my books.

Sure I know this team is capable of a lot more wins, but I am not willing to bend the rules or allow bullying to achieve those goals.

Well shoot, I'm not familiar with every single one of those things. Interesting.

marty

PostPosted: 01/04/15 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, yes BG is hurting bigtime. 2 ACL's in one game, one of them being preseason all league Erica Donovan and the other being the first post off the bench in freshman Lauren Webb.

But to continue on, another player who figured to be in the post rotation, redshirt freshman Leah Bolton, has had to "medically retire" after only playing a few games last year due to knee injuries. So, this leaves BG with only 2 actual post players on the roster.

Then, one of the only 2 seniors on the roster, Jasmine Mathews is dressing for emergency purposes only as this time. She is hopefully going to be cleared to play soon (but we have been hearing that for a while now--Jas has been dealing with stress fracture/reaction in her shin for 3 seasons).

After the game, one of the freshman starters was in a walking boot, so who knows if she will be able to play next game. They could be down to 7 "healthy" players against Akron.

BG only has 1 senior and 1 junior who are playing right now. Every other player is either a sophomore (2), redshirt freshman (1) or freshman (3).

It is going to be a long year...but as Coach Roos said, they don't expect any of the other teams to feel sorry for them.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/05/15 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's Graham Hays gave Ohio a shoutout in his weekend wrap. Surprised I'll even forgive him for incorrectly calling my alma mater the "University of Ohio", instead of the correct "Ohio University".

Quote:
Compared to his previous coaching stop, Bob Boldon had an easy go of it when he took over Ohio. After all, the Bobcats won six games the season before he arrived, six more than Youngstown State won the season before he took over that program. In three seasons with the Penguins, Boldon went from no wins to 23 wins and a WNIT appearance. Now in his second season at the University of Ohio, the graph is taking on a distinctly familiar look. Ohio beat Cleveland State and Buffalo this past week, the latter behind seven points in the final five minutes from Quiera Lampkins to erase a deficit in its MAC opener, to improve to 10-2. The two losses came against far and away the two best teams on the schedule, East Carolina and James Madison, but both were by single digits. And besides, there is no such thing as a soft schedule for a program that was a part of so many soft schedules for other teams in recent seasons. This is already just the second time in the past six seasons that Ohio reached double-digit wins.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/notebook/_/page/notebook_150104/weekend-wrap-florida-state-seminoles-leticia-romero-returns-court

PostPosted: 01/05/15 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Had wanted to give a shout out to Ohio U as well, Joe. No moping this yr for you.

Anybody have the goods on Western MI taking Akron down? Read the article on their coach, but not much on this yr's players.

Wasn't sure how the MAC posters felt about starting a thread because the majority of the teams are so bunched up, in terms of our own conference's parity. Not sure about BG anymore, though.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/08/15 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio lost at Western Michigan last night, 61-51. The Bobcats played pretty well defensively, managing to keep the Broncos post players Miracle Woods and Marquisha Harris from dominating the game. But with the defense concentrating on stopping post scoring, WMU showed it had more offensive options than Ohio. Guards A.J. Johnson and Alex Morton showed they were not only 3-point threats, but that they also had a mid-range game, scoring well on short pull-ups. They were particularly effective late in the game when Ohio's defense tired and were late rotating to cover them on the perimeter.

Ohio's offense revolves so much around the 3-point shot that after WMU extended its man to man defense to take the three away, there were few options left. There was virtually no inside scoring from the posts as a result of both the offensive system and the limited scoring skills the posts have. None of the guards have a mid-range game, so when the three is not there, they drive all the way to the rim where their shots are often smothered by opposing posts. Add in atrocious free throw shooting (40% from Ohio, 80% for Western Michigan, and you get some pretty sad offensive production.

PostPosted: 01/08/15 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another game and another loss for BG....and I am not just referring to the game, which was a loss at Akron 67-59.

The Falcons only had 7 players dressed for this game, as starting center, Abby Seifker, was unable to go due to a shoulder issue she has been dealing with all year. The Falcons started 2 freshman, and both finished in double figures. Deborah Hoekstra had the first double-double of her career with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Freshman Rachel Myers had a career high with 17, including 4 of 6 from 3 point range.

The Falcons are showing a lot of heart, but with only 7 players, 4 being freshman, it it an uphill battle.

Congratulations to Deborah Hoekstra on being named MAC scholar athlete for the 2nd time this season. Deb has a 4.0 gpa as a health science major, and has been accepted into grad school at the University of Miami in Florida.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 01/08/15 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.toledorockets.com/

As we were unable to attend last night's game against Kent, I don't feel comfortable summing it up, but did put a link above to my favorite UT reporter sharing his summation of the game.

Next Saturday's game we will watch (away game) and see how this young team responds to a very competitive MAC team on their floor-Ohio U.

Toledo is now 2-0 in the MAC.

ccollin13

PostPosted: 01/09/15 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Volleyball player Erica Fullenkamp joined the BGSU basketball team this week.

Quote:
BGSU volleyball standout Erica Fullenkamp has joined the Falcon women's basketball program. Fullenkamp, a senior at the University, completed a successful four-year career with the volleyball Falcons in November, and helped that team to a MAC Tournament championship and a trip to the second round of the NCAA Championships in 2012. Fullenkamp participated in practice with the women's basketball team on Thursday (Jan. Cool and is expected to be in uniform when the team takes the court at Kent State on Saturday.

BG has one true post remaining who is uninjured, freshman Sarah Baer. I really hope Abby Seifker (shoulder) can get back soon, as we are hurting badly down low, and she provided quality minutes.

PostPosted: 01/09/15 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to know how much help Erica Fullenkamp can be on the court, but her 4.0 gpa will help the teams gpa Very Happy

Seriously, it is great she is willing to do this to help out the basketball team , and hopefully Abby can get back on the court soon.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/10/15 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Central Michigan and Ball State are the only two undefeated teams left in the MAC after today's results, with Miami, Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan the only winless squads.

Ohio picked up its first win against Toledo in nearly seven years today, 65-58. The Bobcats got some good looks from three in the first half, mostly against a Toledo zone, and knocked down 6 deep shots on the way to a 35-25 halftime lead. The going got tougher in the second half against a Rockets' man to man defense, but Quiera Lampkins (23 points) and Kiyanna Black (19) ultimately exploited their quickness advantage to score on drives to the rim and pull out the win.

Toledo was also getting good looks at threes, but could not knock them down, ending up just 2-17 from outside the arc. Brenae Harris was the only double-digit scorer for the Rockets, with 20 points. Janice Monokana, a 6'0" post, was impressive in the physical game she played inside, and ended up with 12 rebounds, but was only 2-10 shooting and finished with 8 points.

PostPosted: 01/12/15 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am getting ready to process a double header from Muncie.

Still in pain from having Jill Morrison stomp my foot Wednesday after her extracurricular activities under the basket with a Miami player spilled over into the buffer zone and into the media. It was only the foot that kept me out of the conference season in 2012 and to add insult to injury, I had a men's player nail me on the same foot and in the same manner this afternoon.

Sallee changed up the play list and decided to double down on defense. The results are low scoring games which leave the other teams in shambles. I am not kidding; this is a new look from earlier in the season. Lot more in your face defense and the results are more black eyes and more banging. Just ask Shelbie Justice. I am seeing more team emphasize defense more throughout the spectrum, from B1G to the NAIA this season.

I too detect a seismic shift in the MAC power structure with Ohio and Akron being the top dogs in the East and State and Central being the ones to watch in the West.

Just some odd observations. I noticed McCallie's kid was no longer on the roster for Miami and did some digging. Apparently she took he talents to Elon.

Ball State's Moriah Monaco -- pronounced Mo NOCK co, is the niece of West Virginia MBB coach Bob Huggins.

PostPosted: 01/13/15 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BG's Abby Seifker is will have a season-ending shoulder surgery. Bowling Green now has 9 available players. One is Matthews, who is questionable for the rest of the year due to recurring leg problems, and one is Erica the volleyball player. So, 7 players in the rotation for the remainder of the season. Crying or Very sad

I know y'all wanted to see other teams overcome BG's dominance, but you never want to see it happen due to 3 season-ending injuries and 1 career-ending injury.

PostPosted: 01/13/15 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In a switch from the usual Wednesday/Saturday schedule, Western Michigan beat Buffalo tonight in Buffalo, 62-59. The Bulls were picked to finish first in the East, but are now 1-3 and really seem to lack shooters. Coming into the game, Kristin Sharkey needed 16 to hit 1000 for her career. She got 13 in the first half, but didn't score in the second, including missing 3 straight FT late. Maybe she was doing a little point-counting. WMU is now 3-1 despite getting steamrollered in Muncie last week, and having huge problems dealing with a Buffalo press tonight.

Sorry to hear about another injury to the Falcons. Reminds me of Ohio a couple years ago, when they had to put both a volleyball and a field hockey player on the squad. Both of them had to play, too.

Sounds like BallState1984 is being targeted by her own team. Maybe they're sending a message that they only want to be photographed on their good side.

PostPosted: 01/14/15 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be easy to write off BG, but I know better. Have a thin bench like that will just make them more dangerous, if they take the right approach and have the right attitude.

I can think of a team that has been in a similar situation the past few years and they end up smelling like a rose at tournament time.

PostPosted: 01/14/15 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a link to a story about Bowling Green's injuries and future:
http://www.sent-trib.com/sports/injuries-continue-to-haunt-falcon-women/article_14fdb42e-9bf2-11e4-b675-6f6c31932a27.html

BallState1984

PostPosted: 01/15/15 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure how I can find the words to describe the beat down Ball State gave to Kent, 85-47. When the two stats that stand out the most are the 24 assists and 28 points off turnovers, you get the impression you are seeing a team on a mission. Seeing 12 steals in the line and seeing that your little used freshman PG, who is no bigger than I am, snags three rebounds is also telling.

Moriah Monaco and Nathalie Fontaine both dropped 19 poins and Candyce Ussery added 16. Renee Bennett had three steals to her three rebounds.

Just a well balanced outing.

Wanted to note it was great to see Danielle O'Bannion out there coaching, in spite of her chemo.

PostPosted: 01/15/15 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio got off to a fast start and cruised to a 82-59 road win over Eastern Michigan. EMU came out in a 2-3 zone and also pressed defensively, but Ohio was not bothered much by the press and went bombs away against the zone. Multiple threes by Kiyanna Black, Mariah Byard and Hannah Boesinger gave the Bobcats a 28-7 lead at the under-12 timeout of the first half, and they still had a 19 point lead at the half. Two more threes against the zone to start the second half gave Ohio a 25 point lead and finally resulted in the Eagles going man to man. That helped to control the 3-point barrage, but opened up driving lanes to the basket with scores or free throws the result. The final margin of victory would have been greater if Ohio had shot better than their 47% performance from the line.

EMU lost three experienced starters from last season and is trying to break in a whopping 8 new players, together with an all-new assistant coaching staff. That puts a lot more pressure to score on last year's all-freshman team duo of Cha Sweeney and Janay Morton, and so far they have not been up to the task. Last night they combined to go 6-27 from the field.

EMU continued its bad habit from last year of scheduling multiple games against non-D1 opponents, which resulted in deceptively skewed statistics from non-conference play. This year's victims included the usual Madonna (NAIA), Hillsdale (NCAA D2) and unbelievably, Kent State-Tuscarawas, a community college. EMU counts all of these wins as regular season victories, and mixes the statistics in with D1 games.

PostPosted: 01/17/15 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.toledorockets.com/ A very belated and excellent summation of Toledo v OU on 1/14, score 101-Toledo, 102, Akron. Please excuse my absence.(Watched on TV). A seesaw pair of games for Toledo as they couldn't hit the side of the barn on Sunday, but the 3 point queen made a spectacular visit,with, the telling last second foul shots decided the victor. Almost everybody in double figures. May the most gracious Trey Queen accept a ride for away games and dawdle at home when UT WBB players play that venue.

Today, Toledo plays WMI and should again reaffirm the parity and intensity of MAC. Am hoping the OU game propels the Rockets over the moon offensively, but don't forget the gravity well of the Broncos arena floor.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 01/17/15 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toledo just defeated WMI, at WMI, 65-46. Jay Bravo-Harriet was outstanding, scoring 32 pts, and her dead eye 3's made up the majority of that score. Defensively, they held a strong Bronco team to 46pts on their own floor.

If you are a Rocket fan, realizing the bulk of Toledo's team are freshmen and sophomores will leave a sustained smile on your face.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/17/15 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final Ohio 71, Central Michigan 51. CMU had beaten the Bobcats as if they had been stuffed and mounted over the last several years, and for the most part during those beatings, Ohio played like they didn't believe they had a chance to win. Today was different, as this entire season has been. Ohio rode their characteristic 3-ball attack to claim a 14-1 lead just a few minutes into the game, and never let the Chips get within single digits the rest of the way.

Kiyanna Black (21 points) and Mariah Byard led the onslaught from deep, with Lexie Baldwin, Jasmine Weatherspoon and Quiera Lampkins adding enough points inside to keep CMU off balance. The surprise of the game was the first real breakout performance by Michigan State transfer Mariah Harris, who just became eligible after the fall semester. You could see her athleticism in her earlier performances, but her shooting was off target and her decision making poor. Today she seemed to rise to the challenge, scored some big buckets, and gave Ohio another solid ball-handler against the CMU press.

The season-ending injuries to Jessica Green and Jewel Cotton have hurt CMU's offense badly. In past seasons, the Chips could count on simply outscoring their opponents, but they just don't have the firepower to do that anymore. To win this year, they're going to have to learn to play defense instead of standing in their 2-3 zone, which Ohio shredded today. In fact, "Play Defense!" was exactly what Sue Guevara yelled at Crystal Bradford after Bradford watched Lampkins blow by her on a baseline drive in the first half. Guevara subbed her out shortly afterwards, and in fact Bradford played short minutes today, sitting for a lot of the second half.

It may have been a bad day for Bradford to have a bad game, because Katie Smith was at this one, and I don't think she was there to watch the Bobcats. Bradford ended up with (my unofficial count) 8 points. A lot of that was due to good work on the part of Ohio's guards, who stayed in front of her and rapidly doubled her when she put the ball on the floor. But a lot of it was simply Bradford trying to do too much. She had a 5 to 6 inch height advantage on any defender Ohio used. Yet instead of using that advantage and simply shooting over the defender, she resorted to her bag of tricks of finger rolls, scoops, and teardrops, and missed nearly all of them. Not a good showing on her part, and I'll be interested to see if she has her act together in two weeks, when Ohio must travel to Mt. Pleasant for a return engagement.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: