RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2014-2015 Transfers and other departures.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/07/15 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
rAf, it sounds like you have some extreme personal connection and experience with the Duke program and I am therefore pretty much disposed to listen to what you have to say. My impression is that there is *something* very unhealthy going on down there, and it's sad to see a program once that great sink to that level. (My problems with Duke are not with the basketball program per se but with a segment of the fan base, and I do have somewhat of a problem with Coach G. because she did nothing to stop some behavior that she might have.) All I can say is that JPM may be one of those people who presents one face to the public and a very different one in private. I've worked for people like that. Not fun.

Thanks, Summer. I'm now curious about the Duke fan behavior you object to. Was it the WalMart/Hornbuckle thing? Or are there others? You do realize that the Hornbuckle incident was orchestrated by the undergrads at Duke, right? It was pretty tame for the Cameron Crazies, who are notorious for responding to things that are public record - especially legal troubles. I realize it's a matter of personal taste and a substantial number of DWB fans objected to what the students did at that game. Personally I think it's silly to have one set of rules for fans at men's games and a different set for fans at the women's games. As a longtime DWB fan, I was just delighted to see so many students at the game and currently there's just a handful showing up. Whatever, I don't mean to diminish your feelings, you are certainly entitled to have them.

~rAf
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/08/15 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
I don't think I have ever really considered them a serious Final Four option under JPM.

When the brackets are released and the ESPN "experts" make their Final Four picks, does anyone actually pick them to advance that far? Doubtful.

Well, prior to the 2013-14 season, these were the predictions from ESPN's talking heads:

Crčme - UConn, Duke, Maryland, Stanford...with UConn over Duke for the title
Hays - UConn, Duke, Maryland, Stanford...with UConn over Duke for the title
Smith - UConn, Duke, Stanford, Tennessee...with UConn over Duke for the title
Fagan - UConn, Duke, Louisville, Stanford...with UConn over Duke for the title.
Only Veopel didn't have Duke in the Final Four just last year.

I've attached the link: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/preview2013/story/_/id/9946273/predictions-2013-14-women-college-basketball-season

Thanks for pulling that up. Interesting that everyone had them in the mix before last season's injuries and transfers, and no one had Notre Dame, who ran away with the ACC titles.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/08/15 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
rAf, it sounds like you have some extreme personal connection and experience with the Duke program and I am therefore pretty much disposed to listen to what you have to say. My impression is that there is *something* very unhealthy going on down there, and it's sad to see a program once that great sink to that level. (My problems with Duke are not with the basketball program per se but with a segment of the fan base, and I do have somewhat of a problem with Coach G. because she did nothing to stop some behavior that she might have.) All I can say is that JPM may be one of those people who presents one face to the public and a very different one in private. I've worked for people like that. Not fun.

Thanks, Summer. I'm now curious about the Duke fan behavior you object to. Was it the WalMart/Hornbuckle thing? Or are there others? You do realize that the Hornbuckle incident was orchestrated by the undergrads at Duke, right? It was pretty tame for the Cameron Crazies, who are notorious for responding to things that are public record - especially legal troubles. I realize it's a matter of personal taste and a substantial number of DWB fans objected to what the students did at that game. Personally I think it's silly to have one set of rules for fans at men's games and a different set for fans at the women's games. As a longtime DWB fan, I was just delighted to see so many students at the game and currently there's just a handful showing up. Whatever, I don't mean to diminish your feelings, you are certainly entitled to have them.

It was, and I thought it was tacky and cruel. Coach G could have done precisely what Pat Summitt did when that sort of thing got out of hand at TBA, which was turn to the crowd and make a gesture of "stop it", but she chose not to. I really don't care if you think it was "mild" for Duke fans, I think their behavior was (and still is, on the men's side) out of hand and is tacky and cruel towards opposing players---men's or women's.

BTW, I think it's really sad, and a pretty obvious mirror of what's going on in the program, that so few fans are showing up for the women's games. That happened at Texas post-Conradt and seems to have reversed. I'm sure if Duke would come to their senses and replace JPM with someone of the class and caliber of Karen Aston, the same would happen at Duke. Doesn't seem likely, apparently.

PostPosted: 01/08/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

It was, and I thought it was tacky and cruel. Coach G could have done precisely what Pat Summitt did when that sort of thing got out of hand at TBA, which was turn to the crowd and make a gesture of "stop it", but she chose not to. I really don't care if you think it was "mild" for Duke fans, I think their behavior was (and still is, on the men's side) out of hand and is tacky and cruel towards opposing players---men's or women's.

BTW, I think it's really sad, and a pretty obvious mirror of what's going on in the program, that so few fans are showing up for the women's games. That happened at Texas post-Conradt and seems to have reversed. I'm sure if Duke would come to their senses and replace JPM with someone of the class and caliber of Karen Aston, the same would happen at Duke. Doesn't seem likely, apparently.

Summer, thank you for sharing your feelings about this and I know a significant number of Duke fans agree with you. I don't want to, in any way, diminish how all of you feel. I do want to share another perspective. Back when Lefty Driscoll was coach at Maryland, one of the MBB players was charged with rape. Lefty pressured the woman who was raped to drop the charges "for the good of the program." When Maryland came to Duke, the Cameron Crazies threw women's panties onto the court in protest of this woman being pressured to drop charges and deny the rape occurred. The woman who was raped shared this information (about being pressured) and the charge was public record. What was done to this woman was terribly wrong and I think the Duke fan response was appropriate. Humiliate the perpetrator instead of the woman who was assaulted by the rapist AND the Maryland coach. I fully understand the best thing would have been for this to go to trial and be handled by the judicial system. But it wasn't. I understand you may have a different perspective on this as well and I respect your right to feel differently.

~rAf
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/08/15 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Summer, thank you for sharing your feelings about this and I know a significant number of Duke fans agree with you. I don't want to, in any way, diminish how all of you feel. I do want to share another perspective. Back when Lefty Driscoll was coach at Maryland, one of the MBB players was charged with rape. Lefty pressured the woman who was raped to drop the charges "for the good of the program." When Maryland came to Duke, the Cameron Crazies threw women's panties onto the court in protest of this woman being pressured to drop charges and deny the rape occurred. The woman who was raped shared this information (about being pressured) and the charge was public record. What was done to this woman was terribly wrong and I think the Duke fan response was appropriate. Humiliate the perpetrator instead of the woman who was assaulted by the rapist AND the Maryland coach. I fully understand the best thing would have been for this to go to trial and be handled by the judicial system. But it wasn't. I understand you may have a different perspective on this as well and I respect your right to feel differently.

I remember this story and was appalled...and quite frankly, still am. I do take issue with saying it is appropriate for things to be thrown on the court. I don't think that should ever happen and should never be condoned. I mean, if a player was arrested for underage drinking or DUI, I would hope people wouldn't think it appropriate to throw beer bottles/cans on the court. Make posters, create chants to yell at the game, etc but IMO, nothing should ever be thrown on the court at players/coaches/officials.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/08/15 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

That is a quite different thing. First off, I take issue with things being thrown on the court....that's just disruptive. But this case was extremely egregious and it bears no resemblance to the Hornbuckle case at all. I can understand the outrage and I probably would have been part of it myself, but throwing things on the court, no matter what, is wrong. However, to pick on a kid for a whole game over a shoplifting charge that was dismissed.....that's a little over the top, and Coach G could have, and IMO should have stopped it. I have no doubt that Pat would have stood up, turned around to the crowd, and signaled for them to stop. And I suspect they would have.

PS. I think Lefty Driesell was an abominable person. Propriety forbids me from expressing my REAL opinion.

PostPosted: 01/08/15 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoopsQueen wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Another very high profile transfer is coming..wait for the official announcement

Can I have a hint? From which conference?

Since Art and Glenn seem to think I don't know what I am talking about you will have to wait Surprised

Let's see who is paying attention to tonight's Top 25 line ups

PostPosted: 01/08/15 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoopsQueen wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Another very high profile transfer is coming..wait for the official announcement

Since Art and Glenn seem to think I don't know what I am talking about you will have to wait Surprised

I'm paying attention, I don't see anyone missing......SO FAR. So, it'd have to be Iowa, Nebraska, ASU, or Miss State.

Unless it's Tanya Reimer of Notre Dame. Who is nice, but not HIGH profile.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/08/15 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:

I'm paying attention, I don't see anyone missing......SO FAR. So, it'd have to be Iowa, Nebraska, ASU, or Miss State.

That seems to be the one. It appears to be disrupting the Irish on offense AND defense. It's gotta be tough for a highly rated player to be so out-classed by a higher rated frosh.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/08/15 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:

That seems to be the one. It appears to be disrupting the Irish on offense AND defense. It's gotta be tough for a highly rated player to be so out-classed by a higher rated frosh.

Care to confirm, Hoops?

~rAf
HoopsQueen

PostPosted: 01/08/15 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:

Care to confirm, Hoops?

Bingo

PostPosted: 01/08/15 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angelo Di Carlo ‏@angdicarlowndu 9 minutes ago

Taya Reimer didn't make trip to Miami due to "personal reasons", according to Notre Dame spokesman. I'm told her status for Sunday is "TBA."

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/08/15 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:

Taya Reimer didn't make trip to Miami due to "personal reasons", according to Notre Dame spokesman. I'm told her status for Sunday is "TBA."

*innocently* Thompson-Boling Arena?

PostPosted: 01/08/15 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:

Wasn't Reimer the one who organized the "I Can't Breathe" movement at the ND game? I remember reading that the South Bend community outside of ND alums/students were not happy with this. Could she have been receiving a lot of flack for this and just wanted to move on?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/15 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
lvf08 wrote:

Wasn't Reimer the one who organized the "I Can't Breathe" movement at the ND game? I remember reading that the South Bend community outside of ND alums/students were not happy with this. Could she have been receiving a lot of flack for this and just wanted to move on?

I doubt that. If she's leaving (and I have no information that she is other than that she didn't make this trip) I suspect it would have more to do with her diminishing role and minutes. She is far behind Turner but is losing minutes to Westbeld as well, and Westbeld has started the second half several times recently.

I certainly hopes she stays. And she should ask herself how many coaches and schools would have supported her efforts in wearing those shirts.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/15 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoopsQueen wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:

Care to confirm, Hoops?

Bingo

And you would know anything about something going on at Notre Dame how exactly?

Howee

PostPosted: 01/08/15 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Bingo

The same way she knows about Coaches K & P, Calhoun, et.al.

Well-played, Hoops Queen. Cool

(some people here DO have insider knowledge, even though they may not be the most prolific or loudest posters at Rebs-- Wink )

PostPosted: 01/08/15 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Bingo

(some people here DO have insider knowledge, even though they may not be the most prolific or loudest posters at Rebs-- Wink )

You're counting as "insider information" the utter nonsense about "the winningest and most prominent coach in all of college basketball is scared of being upstaged by a new WBB coach"? Some people are just gullible I guess.

HoopsQueen

PostPosted: 01/09/15 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Bingo

You're counting as "insider information" the utter nonsense about "the winningest and most prominent coach in all of college basketball is scared of being upstaged by a new WBB coach"? Some people are just gullible I guess.

I was trying to 'mask' the real story about how Duke administration and Coach K did railroad Coach G out of Duke. Duke wanted a female coach with a family **subtle hint** and Coach K didn't want a strong female presence. Believe what you want but next time you run into a former Duke player ask them, they are the really insiders Smile

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/09/15 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gotta give credit to HQ. Smile

PostPosted: 01/09/15 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Bingo

How do you know what you know? You just know Cool

PostPosted: 01/09/15 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:

Glenn has only questioned (in the other thread) whether HoopsQueen knew what he was talking about when he said Calhoun never had an offer from UConn, and Glenn raised that particular question only because it conflicts with the contemporaneous, video-recorded words out of Sierra Calhoun's own mouth, which I'll reinsert here:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FwPmuPhYT34?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HoopsQueen, you may indeed know many other basketball things, including things about the Calhoun transfer.

I also suspect that you are not affiliated with Duke in any capacity, that you are not related to Sierra Calhoun, that you do not have a family member playing at Duke, and that you are not a Duke alum yourself. I finally think I have met you. Am I correct on any of these innocuous matters?

Now, as to why GG really left Duke, I believe my Duke alum dentist's story, which is a lot more interesting than the RebKellian versions.

No No No No and No

PostPosted: 01/09/15 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Are you suggesting that the most prolific posters have no insider knowledge?

PostPosted: 01/09/15 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Are you suggesting that the most prolific posters have no insider knowledge?

Plight, we would never accuse you of having no insider knowledge.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/09/15 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is possible, if not likely, to be right on the money on some things that are "insider info" and be just as wrong as others.

But HQ clearly has more knowledge than many of us ...

As for Coach K, Duke and Goestenkors, it's certainly possible he wanted her gone, but I have to agree that it's unlikely that he felt "threatened." There might have been other issues, but even if the women's team consistently won more games and even won more NCAA titles than the men's team, it's hard to see how that would impact Coach K.

And of course, there was no evidence that a) Goestenkors was going to do better than Krzyzewski or b) that her replacement would necessarily be less of a "threat."

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24

Jump to: