RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2014-2015 Transfers and other departures.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/05/15 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing time is always an issue ...

Look at Crystal Bradford at CMU -- the focus of the team, developing her skills, setting herself up for a professional career. What would have happened to her at Duke or UConn or wherever? Sure, she would have been good, but she might have had to sit for a year or two. And why should she?

So, if there is a very talented recruiting class, it will become clear what the pecking order is, and often (clearly not the case with Calhoun, who was averaging 29.9 mpg) a player who feels she could be a star can see that she's going to have to wait a season or two to play a lot. At that point, a decision has to be made -- and it's a big-money decision -- about whether to stay or go.

A lot of elite players believe that they will start and star no matter who they're up against, and the first time they learn that isn't true is as a freshman in college on a very talented team. You can say she should stay and work her way up the rotation, but really, why? A basketball career can be over in the blink of an eye, and why waste one year watching when you could be playing? What's the virtue in waiting your turn, especially if you never really know if your turn will come (what if the coach recruits the best player in the country who just happens to play your position?)?

Now, it could be that kids don't like playing for McCallie, or it could be they realize they're fourth in the freshman class and won't play much for two years, or it could be a combination of those two, or a bunch of other factors. But I do think transfers are more likely from a school with lots of talent than a school with less talent.

Last edited by ClayK on 01/05/15 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/05/15 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoopsQueen wrote:
noleman wrote:
Sierra Calhoun leaving duke??

Most insiders saw this coming especially given the family dynamic, she was forced to transfer

Yes, let's hear this bit of gossip.

PostPosted: 01/05/15 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
noleman wrote:

Most insiders saw this coming especially given the family dynamic, she was forced to transfer

I don't really understand any of the boldfaced terms as they apply to Calhoun. Why don't you explain in more detail, HoopsQueen.

Insider - a person within a group or organization, especially someone privy to information unavailable to others

Family dynamic - The way in which members of a family interact with each other in relation to their individual goals and preferences

Forced - Produced with effort, exertion, or pressure

PostPosted: 01/05/15 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bret McCormick ‏@ASGR1995 52m52 minutes ago

Chania Ray 5-8 G Riverdale Baptist HS MD that transferred from Florida State will be playing in the Big 12 for HC Mike Carey West Virginia.

HoopsQueen

PostPosted: 01/05/15 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
noleman wrote:

A little background

Coach G was forced out of Duke, administration was under pressure from King K to bring a coach that would not build up the women's program to become bigger than the men's. Duke administration played dirty with Coach G during negotiation. Coach P fit the profile of the type of coach the administration and King K wanted.

Duke recruits itself as a school, most of the players would have selected the school as their first choice based on academics\college life etc
The fact that they can recruit high level student athletes is an added bonus.

Based on the amount of transfers and staff movement it should be pretty obvious what the fundamental issue is. Just watch a press conference after a loss, the players are thrown way under the bus, if this is done in public one can only imagine what goes on in private. Besides questionable coaching skills there are issues with verbal and physical abuse, including racism.

As far as the current transfer, the player wanted to stay but the father decided otherwise. Obviously it was not about playing time, there is already some twitter chatter about a video of something that happened at practice which may have accelerated the transfer.

Stay tuned

PostPosted: 01/05/15 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"administration was under pressure from King K to bring a coach that would not build up the women's program to become bigger than the men's. "

Yeah as if that was ever a risk. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I've read some conspiracy theory nonsense in my day, but this is pretty far out there.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/05/15 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So people know Coach P's personality and they know about the transfers. At what point do the kids and parents get blame for making a bad college choice instead of people always blaming the coach? Now a days so many kids transfer and I don't get why its the coaches fault always. Some kids and parents are delusional about certain aspects like playing time and expectations. Not saying that is the case here but there's a reason why so many kids transfer now and its not just at crappy programs, even UConn has a transfer almost yearly. Recruits go to games, sit behind the bench and see exactly how a coach acts in a game. Recruits and parents probably see Coach P's twitter interactions. If this was 5 years ago maybe I'd have more sympathy but this has been very common at Duke and the 5 star recruits still go there and then transfer like they expected Coach P to be different. Calhoun's brother was a high d1 recruit so the family has already been through the recruiting process. At some point the blame should lie on a recruit for picking a school with potentially a toxic environment (assistant coaches leaving routinely for lateral jobs, even alums like Joy Cheek leaving is another odd sign).

HoopsQueen

PostPosted: 01/05/15 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
"administration was under pressure from King K to bring a coach that would not build up the women's program to become bigger than the men's. "

I've read some conspiracy theory nonsense in my day, but this is pretty far out there.

It is a well known fact that King K is in control of who gets certain jobs on the men's side. If he blackballs you, you will not get a job as a ball boy. And that is not a conspiracy that is a FACT.

Believe what you want but who would make up a crazy story like that

PostPosted: 01/05/15 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Yeah, I tend to agree. I can't imagine Coach K is the least bit concerned about women's basketball. Is his ego really that fragile?

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/05/15 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke football is doing as good as they have ever done and there's no way WBB at Duke would ever become more popular, so is Duke's football coach on the way out? At least he overachieves and doesn't lose to Mercer like Coach K Wink

HoopsQueen

PostPosted: 01/05/15 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Duke football is doing as good as they have ever done and there's no way WBB at Duke would ever become more popular, so is Duke's football coach on the way out? At least he overachieves and doesn't lose to Mercer like Coach K Wink

He is getting old Very Happy

PostPosted: 01/05/15 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Yeah, I tend to agree. I can't imagine Coach K is the least bit concerned about women's basketball. Is his ego really that fragile?

Of course it's not. Indeed, even if it was, the womens team presents absolutely zero threat regardless of who's coaching. The notion that Krzyzewski feels threatened by a womens basketball coach is completely absurd. The guy is going to get his 1000th win in a couple of weeks. He's resurrected the US mens Olympic and Worlds teams. He's threatened by nothing.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/05/15 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

HoopsQueen

PostPosted: 01/05/15 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Threaten by nothing except a losing season..94-95 when he took leave and loses landed on his assistant Rolling Eyes Keep drinking the Kool Aid

PostPosted: 01/05/15 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoopsQueen wrote:
Threaten by nothing except a losing season..94-95 when he took leave and loses landed on his assistant Rolling Eyes Keep drinking the Kool Aid

So your theory is that the top, most respected, hall of fame coach, is supposedly threatened by something you claim happened TWENTY YEARS AGO?

Wow. Just wow.

HoopsQueen

PostPosted: 01/05/15 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another very high profile transfer is coming..wait for the official announcement

PostPosted: 01/05/15 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
So people know Coach P's personality and they know about the transfers. At what point do the kids and parents get blame for making a bad college choice instead of people always blaming the coach?

I tend to subscribe to this theory, too: PARENTS should not be sending their precious stars into this Black Hole of talent. BUTTT....odd as HoopsQueen's theory may seem, I have yet to hear a better one. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/05/15 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoopsQueen wrote:
Another very high profile transfer is coming..wait for the official announcement

Can I have a hint? From which conference?

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/05/15 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wrong thread

HoopsQueen

PostPosted: 01/05/15 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:

Can I have a hint? From which conference?

Since Art and Glenn seem to think I don't know what I am talking about you will have to wait Surprised

PostPosted: 01/05/15 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoopsQueen wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
HoopsQueen wrote:
noleman wrote:

A little background

Coach G was forced out of Duke, administration was under pressure from King K to bring a coach that would not build up the women's program to become bigger than the men's. Duke administration played dirty with Coach G during negotiation. Coach P fit the profile of the type of coach the administration and King K wanted.

Duke recruits itself as a school, most of the players would have selected the school as their first choice based on academics\college life etc
The fact that they can recruit high level student athletes is an added bonus.

Based on the amount of transfers and staff movement it should be pretty obvious what the fundamental issue is. Just watch a press conference after a loss, the players are thrown way under the bus, if this is done in public one can only imagine what goes on in private. Besides questionable coaching skills there are issues with verbal and physical abuse, including racism.

As far as the current transfer, the player wanted to stay but the father decided otherwise. Obviously it was not about playing time, there is already some twitter chatter about a video of something that happened at practice which may have accelerated the transfer.

Stay tuned

Part of this explanation of Coach G's departure fits with what I know or have experienced, but a lot of it doesn't. Here's the part that fits: Coach G did not want any part of being treated as a "JV" team so wouldn't do double headers with the women's game first, etc. She also didn't go for a dual "midnight madness" with the women being the "warm up" act. She insisted on equality in facilities, practice times, access to weight room, etc. I think that attitude did ruffle K's feathers a little. The big thing was not winning "the big one." Especially vs Maryland. AD Joe Alleva was a weeny little dick and treated her like so much trash. Basically if the women couldn't win the NC, what's the point of having a women's team at all, let alone "let" them have equal access to resources.

After Alleva finally "got rid of G," he had a very short list of coaches he considered. He wanted a coach who'd already won an NC. When that didn't work, he was influenced by the one flashy fluke run of McCallie's Mich St team to the NC game and jumped. Did I mention he's a weeny little dick? McCallie, despite signing a re-up, needed an exit due to her dick-ass husband's legal troubles. I believe he had a position at Mich St also and they weren't gonna play with him biting a security officer. Mr. Weeny little dick loved McCallie's "enthusiasm" (and her nice little hetero family) so bought out her Mich St contract. Did I mention she slobbered over Coach K at any/all opportunity? Perfect fit for Mr. weeny little dick.

Mr. Weeny Little Dick introduces JPM as the "coach who will take the program to the next level." The only level they hadn't reached was the NC. Then Mr. Weeny Little Dick gets busted for "drunken boating" and gets sent packing. He landed that LSU gig as the timeline was winding down and therefore avoided getting canned in public.

Now certainly Mr. Weeny Little Dick wasn't going to do anything that Coach K was against. But the question is who was the primary actor here and I think Mr. Weeny Dick wanted to flex his little muscle and orchestrated G's exit. I don't think K really cared much one way or the other. He's not one to make the big dramatic move over "ruffled feathers."

That's my take and it's supported by people way more "in the know" than I am. I blamed Coach K initially and they set me straight.

I'm copacetic with your view on the problem with Duke Women's BBall.

Regarding the transfer of Sierra Calhoun, what I've been learning about her father (in the public domain), he's ALL about his kids being in the best place for THEM. He seemed to be convinced by something that his daughter was in the wrong place for HER. Since she started from day 1, played 30 min/game for a program in the top 10 (or close), Sierra was being seen and her talent recognized. This was not about her father craving more attention for him or his daughter. This was a father being convinced his daughter was in the wrong place for HER. And about wanting her to get to the right place ASAP. That is all.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 01/05/15 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...."her dick-ass husband's" and "Mr. Weeny Little Dick" present a far more....INTERESTING cast of characters than I'd imagined!! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/05/15 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
...."her dick-ass husband's" and "Mr. Weeny Little Dick" present a far more....INTERESTING cast of characters than I'd imagined!! Laughing Laughing

Yeah, guess the male persuasion isn't well liked.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/05/15 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoopsQueen wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It is a well known fact that King K is in control of who gets certain jobs on the men's side. If he blackballs you, you will not get a job as a ball boy. And that is not a conspiracy that is a FACT.

Believe what you want but who would make up a crazy story like that

And you know this exactly how? Unless you can cite chapter and verse it is still nothing but gossip.

PostPosted: 01/05/15 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can definitely buy RAF's theory a whole lot more than Hoops Queen's. Having been the mom of a pretty good soccer player, I know what it is to want to find the best place for your kid. If you feel your kid is being treated badly, even if she's starting or getting a lot of minutes, then yeah, you are definitely going to talk to her about transferring, especially if you can see she's not happy and she's feeling beat down...playing time or no playing time. That is NOT being forced out. It's not "family pressure" either. It's more like "Dad, you just might be right after all." That I can understand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: