RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee (11) @ Rutgers (17) - 12/14/14
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Tennessee
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Rutgers
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 8

Shades

PostPosted: 12/13/14 2:01 am    ::: Tennessee (11) @ Rutgers (17) - 12/14/14 Reply Reply with quote

Piscataway, NJ - 3:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN2
Radio: WCTC-1450AM, WRSU-88.7FM

Video:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index?rb=true&watchsrc=true&id=2188979&_slug_=Womens-College-Basketball-Tennessee-vs-Rutgers

Audio:
http://radio.rutgers.edu/ (might work)

http://www.utsports.com/collegesportslive/?media=472848 (free)

Gametracker:
http://www.utsports.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wbaskbl.html?event=1364560&school=tenn&sport=wbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 12/14/14 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Used to be easy to game plan against Rutgers. Just break their press and score 60 points. Not so easy this year. Rutgers is pushing the ball in transition and has several players who can score inside and outside. They have cut way back on the 46 press and now play a switching MtM that looks a lot like UConn. They have size, speed and quickness.

Tenn is the same team, relying on a press and half court trap to generate TO's and easy transition baskets combined with points off of putbacks. Tenn has dominated the series.

Game of the day.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/14 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ward & Robinson

Last edited by Shades on 12/14/14 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/14 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Copper is electric

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/14 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Hollivay more than Harrison.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/14 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

23-20 Rutgers at the half

Scaife 11 pts, 8 reb

Jones 8 pts, 4 reb

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/14/14 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These teams are not exactly pouring in the points. It looks like they'll break 50 though. I wasn't so sure a few minutes ago.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/14/14 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Ward & Robinson

Sometimes I don't like Ward, but somehow with LaChina they make a good pair. And the new Rutgers is way more interesting to watch.

Shades wrote:
I like Hollivay more than Harrison.

Neither are totally healthy, which is too bad for a televised game. Hoping both their injuries are totally healed soon so we can really see them. I do like Hollivay btw - very interesting player.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/14/14 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was a classic out of control Massengale force with 2 minutes to go.

Had the chance to make it a 3 possesion game with a decent shot.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/14 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee's got this. 6 pt lead with 30 sec left.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/14/14 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
And the new Rutgers is way more interesting to watch.

I dont know. They only scored 45. That's a lot more like the old Rutgers than the new Rutgers.

They have some work to do yet.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/14/14 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happened to the new RU? They didn't show up, except for Scaife.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/14 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laney had a wrapped left wrist and wasn't very effective today.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/14/14 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers didn't show up. Tennessee did. 55-45 Tennessee. Goodnight, Shades.

PostPosted: 12/14/14 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Laney had a wrapped left wrist and wasn't very effective today.

Laney hurt her hand on the 1st play of the game, and basically couldn't use it most of the game. I don't know if ESPN2 showed the delay late in the 2nd when she was getting her shoe tied by another player (I forget which one), but she couldn't do it herself.

I was there, high up in Section 203. I saw what I expect everyone who watched on TV saw - neither team could shoot a lick today (and in fact RU outshot Tennessee from the floor). The difference was on the boards, particularly on the offensive end for Tennessee, which I think also was responsible for much of the foul shot differential.

RU's offense suffered from the same problem that it had at times last year, dealing with a zone. That's been masked to a large extent this year because the Scarlet Knights have been able to run more. Probably more 3-point shooting would help, and CVS recruited 3-point shooters and had the returning players work on outside shooting, too, but it's obviously still a work in progress.

Honestly, not a great game, even if you like defense as much as I do. It felt sloppy, or maybe choppy is a better word, all the way through. The funny thing is that it wasn't as if there were tons of turnovers or the like, but it just felt like neither team ever really got into any kind of rhythm.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/14/14 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two teams w/ talent coached by coaches who can't coach offense.

SOS.

PostPosted: 12/14/14 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

BTW, I'm curious if you watched the game, because this sure sounds like you didn't. After all, RU led at the half, and had a lead with 6:00 left (and actually led for more of the game than Tennessee). The margin was largely the result of RU fouling late when they were behind and the Lady Vols (to their credit) making their shots.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/15/14 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I was there, high up in Section 203.

I saw you. At halftime, I saw a pic of you on the jumbo-tron, pulling your top off and twirling it over your head. Nice "Rebkells" tat on your chest, dude! Shocked Laughing

beknighted wrote:
Honestly, not a great game, even if you like defense as much as I do. It felt sloppy, or maybe choppy is a better word, all the way through. The funny thing is that it wasn't as if there were tons of turnovers or the like, but it just felt like neither team ever really got into any kind of rhythm.

I'd have to agree. This was my first real view of Rutgers, and while Scaife is All That and a Large Bag o' Chips, she really needs to have a more involved cast of characters. The talent is there, right? I mean, nobody else even scored double figures but Tyler. And I couldn't quite tell if the rebounding differential was more about not boxing out, TN's height advantage, or just dumb luck. Overall, I'd still have to say they're more interesting than they were a season or 3 ago.

TN? I've seen them several times already. Tonight they looked quite vulnerable. Again. Is there NO 3-pt personnel on that roster? Really not looking like FF contenders, imo.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
beknighted wrote:
I was there, high up in Section 203.

I saw you. At halftime, I saw a pic of you on the jumbo-tron, pulling your top off and twirling it over your head. Nice "Rebkells" tat on your chest, dude! Shocked Laughing

I'm glad someone noticed me. Wink

Howee wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I'd have to agree. This was my first real view of Rutgers, and while Scaife is All That and a Large Bag o' Chips, she really needs to have a more involved cast of characters. The talent is there, right? I mean, nobody else even scored double figures but Tyler. And I couldn't quite tell if the rebounding differential was more about not boxing out, TN's height advantage, or just dumb luck. Overall, I'd still have to say they're more interesting than they were a season or 3 ago.

TN? I've seen them several times already. Tonight they looked quite vulnerable. Again. Is there NO 3-pt personnel on that roster? Really not looking like FF contenders, imo.

I think one big factor in both the scoring and the rebounding was Laney's injury. She became a non-factor on offense, which hurt a lot, and of course she's the team's leading rebounder. If her injury is serious, that's a real problem for RU.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/15/14 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

BTW, I'm curious if you watched the game, because this sure sounds like you didn't. After all, RU led at the half, and had a lead with 6:00 left (and actually led for more of the game than Tennessee). The margin was largely the result of RU fouling late when they were behind and the Lady Vols (to their credit) making their shots.

I most certainly did. I felt like Rutgers just wasn't there for much of the second half and Tennessee just kept chugging along. It wasn't the most sparkling game from either team but then, their meetings rarely are. I've seen more than a few of them, some in person.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I most certainly did. I felt like Rutgers just wasn't there for much of the second half and Tennessee just kept chugging along. It wasn't the most sparkling game from either team but then, their meetings rarely are. I've seen more than a few of them, some in person.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, then.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/15/14 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Don't worry. In my experience fans of winning teams have a strong predilection for ignoring that the team they defeated may have been significantly reduced in effectiveness by injuries and for denying that the outcome could possibly have been different had the opponent been whole.

BTW, one team shot 27%, the other 31%, something neither team should be bragging about.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/15/14 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Don't worry. In my experience fans of winning teams have a strong predilection for ignoring that the team they defeated may have been significantly reduced in effectiveness by injuries and for denying that the outcome could possibly have been different had the opponent been whole.

BTW, one team shot 27%, the other 31%, something neither team should be bragging about.

*yawn* Art, did you even watch the game? Scaife was the only Rutgers player who really showed up for the second half. You're just, as usual, using this as an opportunity to take potshots at me. I already said it wasn't a sparkling game from either team. Now go fry ice.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

*yawn* Art, did you even watch the game? Scaife was the only Rutgers player who really showed up for the second half. You're just, as usual, using this as an opportunity to take potshots at me. I already said it wasn't a sparkling game from either team. Now go fry ice.

About you? So I can't talk about a Tennessee performance without you believing it's about you? That's truly hilarious. I think Carly Simon wrote and performed a song a while back that would fit perfectly here.

Anyhow, back to the game. I wonder what that says about Tenn if it was playing essentially against one player, as you claim, and yet the game was tied with 5 minutes to go? Oh, and by the way, Scaife didn't score a point in the last 10 minutes of the game, and Canty scored 6 points and assisted on Davis's 3 pts in the second half, so your assertion is demonstrably false. I wonder if YOU watched the game. Indeed, I'm not the only person in this thread to wonder that after reading your comments.

Anyhow, reality remains that Tenn shot 27.5% overall, and 10.0% from behind the arc, which is pretty is pretty ridiculous. That's not remotely going to get it done against decent teams. It's now been pointed out that a large reason Rutgers's offense sputtered is because a key player got injured. Injuries can alter the outcome. And as I said, fans of the winning team frequently choose to ignore that's why they won. Tenn was at full strength. It doesn't have any excuse for its performance.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/15/14 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"]
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

About you? So I can't talk about a Tennessee performance without you believing it's about you? That's truly hilarious. I think Carly Simon wrote and performed a song a while back that would fit perfectly here.

Anyhow, back to the game. I wonder what that says about Tenn if it was playing essentially against one player, as you claim, and yet the game was tied with 5 minutes to go? Oh, and by the way, Scaife didn't score a point in the last 10 minutes of the game, and Canty scored 6 points and assisted on Davis's 3 pts in the second half, so your assertion is demonstrably false. I wonder if YOU watched the game. Indeed, I'm not the only person in this thread to wonder that after reading your comments.

Anyhow, reality remains that Tenn shot 27.5% overall, and 10.0% from behind the arc, which is pretty is pretty ridiculous. That's not remotely going to get it done against decent teams. It's now been pointed out that a large reason Rutgers's offense sputtered is because a key player got injured. Injuries can alter the outcome. And as I said, fans of the winning team frequently choose to ignore that's why they won. Tenn was at full strength. It doesn't have any excuse for its performance.[/quote

And as I have already said, I did watch the game and I don't take kindly to being called a liar, especially by the likes of you. You, however, did not answer the question, so I suggest that perhaps you may be just repeating the comments of others. I also readily admitted that it was less than a sparkling effort from my team, so you may take that canard, fold it five ways, and do whatever you wish with it. I am perfectly willing to admit that Tennessee has a long way to go this season and may not get there. I am not, however, about to take a ration of cr@p from you and then let you go all passive-aggressive when called on it. Until you interjected yourself into the discussion, beknighted and I were agreeing to disagree and I think we were both okay with that. Nobody asked you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: