RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Muffet McGraw: "Stand For Something You Believe In"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/13/14 6:18 pm    ::: Muffet McGraw: "Stand For Something You Believe In" Reply Reply with quote

Here are her comments about the team's "I Can't Breathe" shirts and coaches' black dresses during her post game press conference today. If you want to see the rest of the presser including Taya Reimer's discussion of how this came about at ND you can see the full press conference at WatchND.TV. Here are McGraw's comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ZaFmdB13A&app=desktop

justinabina

PostPosted: 12/13/14 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been thinking about the ND women's I Can't Breathe shirts all day. My respect for this team and Muffet McGraw has skyrocketed. I have to admit, despite liking Loyd, I harboured a bit of a grudge against the team---just because they crushed Maryland in the Final Four & ended Alyssa Thomas's NCAA run. (I was really hoping DePaul would pull off the upset the other night...)

I was surprised by the gesture too, but only because I know so little about American universities. I suppose I assumed that private religious universities, which don't really exist in a significantly visible way in Canada, would tend to be conservative and more likely to silence, rather than support, political protest (especially for a cause perceived as liberal). Good moment for me to reflect on the biases in my assumptions.

The criticism on the ESPN site/elsewhere online is disappointing---but I am more heartened to see these athletes & their coaches standing up for their beliefs and speaking out against injustice. It would have been so easy to remain passively apolitical. Politics shape our lives---and how, why, where and when people play sports---and who gets to play sports. One of my favourite pictures in my classroom---and one my students like learning about---is the image of John Carlos and Tommie Smith raising their fists in the Black Panther salute on the Olympic podium. I am going to add the ND women's basketball team to the wall on Monday!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/13/14 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots more on this here:

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=82608

BallState1984

PostPosted: 12/13/14 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's keep on parroting the false narrative and show your ignorance. Stay classy, ND.

PostPosted: 12/14/14 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Let's keep on parroting the false narrative and show your ignorance. Stay classy, ND.

I doubt if this is the place for political commentary but maybe you should try watching the video.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 12/14/14 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did and I read the report. The felon died from the stress from resisiting. NYPD did not kill him. Bottom line, ND and Cal were perpetuating a lie and b race baiting. And they chose to bring politics in.

PostPosted: 12/14/14 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
I did and I read the report. The felon died from the stress from resisiting. NYPD did not kill him.

He was resisting police, who had no business ever laying their hands on him in the first place. Selling loose cigarettes is a ticketable offense at worst.

PostPosted: 12/14/14 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
I did and I read the report. The felon died from the stress from resisiting. NYPD did not kill him. Bottom line, ND and Cal were perpetuating a lie and b race baiting. And they chose to bring politics in.

Your opinion. I will merely point out that there was an *illegal* Chokehold applied and that he also had pressure on his chest. Medically speaking those two factors will kill an asthmatic. YMMV and I will not engage you further.

PostPosted: 12/14/14 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:

Yeah that must be why the coroner found his death was caused by the “compression of his neck (chokehold), compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police” and ruled it a homicide. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

SueFavor

PostPosted: 12/14/14 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal too:

http://hoopism.blogspot.com/2014/12/notre-dame-cal-join-black-lives-matter.html

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
BallState1984

PostPosted: 12/15/14 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wrong -- there was no damage to his throat. Bottom line, he was another perp. Racism had nothing to do with his death and I am sick of race hustlers making hay over this.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Wrong -- there was no damage to his throat. Bottom line, he was another perp. Racism had nothing to do with his death and I am sick of race hustlers making hay over this.

Given your view of "perps," I guess I can assume you've never broken any law in your life and you're the driver that everyone passes on the highway.

Also, I think I'm going to go with the coroner on this one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: