RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

TMZ Reports: Pepperdine WBB being sued. "Lesbianism is.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJMMs

PostPosted: 12/12/14 8:53 pm    ::: TMZ Reports: Pepperdine WBB being sued. "Lesbianism is. Reply Reply with quote

...Not Tolerated on This Team."

Just thought I'd share this, since I hadn't seen it posted anywhere.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/12/basketball-stars-sue-pepperdine-you-cut-us-cause-were-lesbians/

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 12/12/14 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quick, get the Ogwumike's out of there.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/12/14 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pepperdine is one of those "Christian" schools. It's just not as blatant as Liberty.

PostPosted: 12/12/14 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

I thought the same thing. The two eldest seem so progressive in their thinking, at least they seem to be. I thought something might be going on there. Are these the two that reported leaving the team before the season?

FS02

PostPosted: 12/12/14 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pepperdine used to be a pretty good team, but it seems they've gone downhill in recent years. So, IF they are being that intolerant I'd kinda like to believe they are just shooting themselves in the foot... and the coach will be out of a job soon.

PostPosted: 12/12/14 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TMZ... Rolling Eyes

AJMMs

PostPosted: 12/13/14 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
TMZ... Rolling Eyes

LOL...

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 12/13/14 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players, be you straight or gay, please read your prospective college's student handbook before you commit. Know the culture.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/13/14 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Much has changed since Jen Lacy matriculated

PostPosted: 12/13/14 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering none of them are gay, why would you think they should leave, maybe they are more concerned about getting a good education than what TMZ thinks.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/13/14 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
Pepperdine used to be a pretty good team, but it seems they've gone downhill in recent years. So, IF they are being that intolerant I'd kinda like to believe they are just shooting themselves in the foot... and the coach will be out of a job soon.

Speaking of the Pepperdine coach...

[from the article]
Quote:
According to the suit, the women claim the basketball coach, Ryan Weisenberg, gave a speech on the topic of "lesbianism" in April...in which he said, "Lesbianism is not tolerated on this team. It is the reason why teams lose."

Is this the same Weisenberg who was an assistant with the Houston Comets, under Karleen Thompson?

PostPosted: 12/13/14 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
FS02 wrote:

Speaking of the Pepperdine coach...

[from the article]
Quote:
According to the suit, the women claim the basketball coach, Ryan Weisenberg, gave a speech on the topic of "lesbianism" in April...in which he said, "Lesbianism is not tolerated on this team. It is the reason why teams lose."

Is this the same Weisenberg who was an assistant with the Houston Comets, under Karleen Thompson?

Appears to be.
http://www.pepperdinesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/ryan_weisenberg_817449.html

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/13/14 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Considering none of them are gay, why would you think they should leave, maybe they are more concerned about getting a good education than what TMZ thinks.

I don't know about you, but no matter my sexuality, I would side-eye the living shit out of a coach who was homophobic (or dumb) enough to believe that TEH SCARY GHEIS are the reason teams lose. That is not a culture I could be comfortable in; even though I do happen to be straight, I would not be able to deal with that kind of bullshit from a coach.

(now with spelling variations)
beknighted

PostPosted: 12/14/14 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

I don't know about you, but no matter my sexuality, I would side-eye the living shit out of a coach who was homophobic (or dumb) enough to believe that TEH SCARY GHEIS are the reason teams lose. That is not a culture I could be comfortable in; even though I do happen to be straight, I would not be able to deal with that kind of bullshit from a coach.

Exactly. Happily, a lot of players would feel the same way about this as they would if a coach said she wouldn't abide having Asian Americans or Hispanics on a team.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/14/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know him personally, but based on who Ryan Weisenburg has coached, worked with and for, I am very surprised by this.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/14/14 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:

I thought the same thing. The two eldest seem so progressive in their thinking, at least they seem to be.

And yet at least one of them is, evidently, quite close to Condoleeza Rice. They contain multitudes.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/14/14 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I don't know him personally, but based on who Ryan Weisenburg has coached, worked with and for, I am very surprised by this.

I guess since he's drunk the Pepperdine Kool-Aid, he has to spout the Pepperdine line.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see where they are coming from depending on the situation.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/15/14 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pepperdine states, in their student handbook, that gay students face discipline from the university, including expulsion. If the basketball team doesn't allow lesbians, it is just in line with the rest of the university.

Not sure why the WCBB community does not believe these student handbook and university rules exist and matter. Pepperdine is not the only school where this is the case, including at least two schools with much more prominent WCBB profiles.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/15/14 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Pepperdine states, in their student handbook, that gay students face discipline from the university, including expulsion. If the basketball team doesn't allow lesbians, it is just in line with the rest of the university.

Not sure why the WCBB community does not believe these student handbook and university rules exist and matter. Pepperdine is not the only school where this is the case, including at least two schools with much more prominent WCBB profiles.

I think it will be interesting in the coming years to see if those kinds of rules will stand under threat of the removal of federal funding.

I also think a private university has every right to have its own rules and regulations. It's not a public business like a restaurant, say, and though I could be mistaken, I think it's legal for a business to restrict its customer base if it so desires. (I'm not so sure about employees, though ...)

PostPosted: 12/15/14 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Unfortunately, you're right that a fair number of schools (or, perhaps, an unfair number of schools) have similar policies. I suspect that in most cases the policies are enforced sporadically or just against people who are thought to be nuisances, but they're there.

We've had the discussion here about Baylor in the past, but I'm sure it's not the only prominent program at a school with similar policies. (And I imagine that at least in some cases, the coaches actually tell recruits not to worry about the policies so long as they're discreet.)

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/15/14 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I think it will be interesting in the coming years to see if those kinds of rules will stand under threat of the removal of federal funding.

I also think a private university has every right to have its own rules and regulations. It's not a public business like a restaurant, say, and though I could be mistaken, I think it's legal for a business to restrict its customer base if it so desires. (I'm not so sure about employees, though ...)

For private businesses, it depends on whether you're a public accommodation under the federal Civil Rights Act. A lunch counter or a hotel can't say it won't take blacks or Jews or women, for instance. In some places, similar rules apply for gays, but there's unfortunately no national law on that point right now. As you identify, the key law for most schools is the law that governs federal funding, which today does not cover discrimination against non-heterosexuals.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/15/14 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
(And I imagine that at least in some cases, the coaches actually tell recruits not to worry about the policies so long as they're discreet.)

That's essentially what Kim Mulkey told Brittney Griner about Baylor

PostPosted: 12/16/14 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.afterellen.com/people/404097-lesbian-basketball-players-sue-pepperdine-university-discrimination

PostPosted: 12/16/14 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

For private businesses, it depends on whether you're a public accommodation under the federal Civil Rights Act. A lunch counter or a hotel can't say it won't take blacks or Jews or women, for instance. In some places, similar rules apply for gays, but there's unfortunately no national law on that point right now. As you identify, the key law for most schools is the law that governs federal funding, which today does not cover discrimination against non-heterosexuals.

There is a nondiscrimination law in California, but Pepperdine and other religious colleges operate as religious non-profits. Those are typically not covered in the same was as businesses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: