RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Banham torn ACL; done for the season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigur3

PostPosted: 12/11/14 9:46 pm    ::: Banham torn ACL; done for the season Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/GophersWBB/status/543223573540638720

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/11/14 9:54 pm    ::: Re: Banham torn ACL; done for the season Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
https://twitter.com/GophersWBB/status/543223573540638720

Shocked

PostPosted: 12/11/14 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*sigh*

RP

PostPosted: 12/11/14 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Minnesota finally had a supporting cast around Banham, too. At least it happened early enough that she can play next season if she wants to.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/11/14 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As my son would say, that sucks, bites, AND blows. My sympathies to Rachel and the entire team.

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was being discussed in the Big Ten thread fyi...and no, she can't redshirt. Minny has played 10 games, way over the 20% the NCAA allows for medically redshirting.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
This was being discussed in the Big Ten thread fyi...and no, she can't redshirt. Minny has played 10 games, way over the 20% the NCAA allows for medically redshirting.

As I posted inthe other thread, the rule is 30%, not 20%, and one Big 10 tournament game should get her there and make her eligible for a medical hardship waiver under Rule 12.8.4.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/12/14 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

As I posted inthe other thread, the rule is 30%, not 20%, and one Big 10 tournament game should get her there and make her eligible for a medical hardship waiver under Rule 12.8.4.

Yes, thank you for the correction. I knew it was 30 but for some reason 20 was in my head tonight. I also posted the corresponding NCAA rules. I wonder what the interpretation is regarding their exhibition contest vs Condordia. It's an exempt event, just like the Big Ten Tournament when it comes to counting games. Does one count and not the other?

Shades

PostPosted: 12/12/14 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Yes, thank you for the correction. I knew it was 30 but for some reason 20 was in my head tonight. I also posted the corresponding NCAA rules. I wonder what the interpretation is regarding their exhibition contest vs Condordia. It's an exempt event, just like the Big Ten Tournament when it comes to counting games. Does one count and not the other?

They also had that private exhibition against Milwaukee on Nov 1.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 12/12/14 3:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The conference tournament counts as one game toward the individual's season total regardless of how far a team advances [12.8.4.3.6]. Any other postseason tournaments (NCAA, WNIT, WBI) count as zero. Two exhibitions (open, closed or a combination) are exempt annually for every school [17.3.5.3(g) and (h)]...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/12/14 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
The conference tournament counts as one game toward the individual's season total regardless of how far a team advances [12.8.4.3.6]. Any other postseason tournaments (NCAA, WNIT, WBI) count as zero. Two exhibitions (open, closed or a combination) are exempt annually for every school [17.3.5.3(g) and (h)]...

Do all teams play in the Big10 tournament, or do only the top X number of teams play?

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 12/12/14 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From my experience, the cut-off has been at 9 games and it's been very cut and dry. I could definitely be wrong, but I will be surprised if she gets another year.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 12/12/14 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:

Do all teams play in the Big10 tournament, or do only the top X number of teams play?

All 14 teams are playing in the tournament.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/12/14 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
From my experience, the cut-off has been at 9 games and it's been very cut and dry. I could definitely be wrong, but I will be surprised if she gets another year.

I expect it seems that way because a lot of teams only play 28 or 29 regular season games, so even with their conference tournament, they only total 29 or 30 which equals a 9 game cutoff. Purdue for example last year only had 29 including their Big 10 tournament. Maryland, Notre Dame, South Carolina only hit 30 with their conference tournament (counting as 1). So they would all have a cutoff of 9.

You have to get to that magic 31, but it seems the rule is fairly clear that if you play 30 regular season games, plus one for your conference tournament, you hit 31 which should equal a cutoff of 10.

I readily admit that there could be some twist to these rules that I'm missing. Wouldn't be the first time. But if that's not how it works I will be very interested to read the explanation of why she doesn't qualify.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/12/14 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

I expect it seems that way because a lot of teams only play 28 or 29 regular season games, so even with their conference tournament, they only total 29 or 30 which equals a 9 game cutoff. Purdue for example last year only had 29 including their Big 10 tournament. Maryland, Notre Dame, South Carolina only hit 30 with their conference tournament (counting as 1). So they would all have a cutoff of 9.

You have to get to that magic 31, but it seems the rule is fairly clear that if you play 30 regular season games, plus one for your conference tournament, you hit 31 which should equal a cutoff of 10.

I readily admit that there could be some twist to these rules that I'm missing. Wouldn't be the first time. But if that's not how it works I will be very interested to read the explanation of why she doesn't qualify.

By math, if the most you can play is 30% of your games(which I believe is the correct number) than even if your team plays 33 games, including your conference tournament, the most you can play in is 9.9 games(10% = 3.3 games, 20% =6.6 games and 30% = 9.9 games). Banham has played in 10 games, which is over 30%. Of course there could be some sub paragraph rule, or a hardship thing, to let her play next season, assuming she wants to continue with college.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/12/14 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

By math, if the most you can play is 30% of your games(which I believe is the correct number) than even if your team plays 33 games, including your conference tournament, the most you can play in is 9.9 games(10% = 3.3 games, 20% =6.6 games and 30% = 9.9 games). Banham has played in 10 games, which is over 30%. Of course there could be some sub paragraph rule, or a hardship thing, to let her play next season, assuming she wants to continue with college.

The rules say any fraction is rounded up. So if you get to 9.1, it allows you to play 10.

"12.8.4.3.6.2 Fraction in Percent Computation. Any computation of the percent limitation that results in a fractional portion of a contest or date of competition shall be rounded to the next whole number (e.g., 30 percent of a 29-game basketball schedule—8.7 games—shall be considered nine games)."

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/12/14 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the confusion:

1. Exhibitions/Scrimmages - they do not count towards the allowable number of contests a team is allowed annually. However, I believe an exhibition would count for a student-athlete as it is an organized competition due to being publicized, scheduled in advance, stats are kept, admission is charged, officials are used, uniforms are worn, etc. I noticed this particular rule that says such events don't count for first-year student-athletes (my guess is that this wouldn't be there if they didn't count for everyone):
12.8.3.1.3 Preseason Exhibitions/Preseason Practice Scrimmages During Initial Year. During a student-athlete’s initial year of enrollment at the certifying institution, he or she may compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages (as permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17) without counting such competition as a season of competition. (Revised: 5/9/06, 7/31/14)

So, here's the question: An exhibition vs a non-DI member does not count towards the limits of countable games but does it count as a game played when determining a student-athlete's season of eligibility? Seems as though that is the case based on what I have been reading but as has been alluded to by other posters, the rules aren't exactly clear.

I still think she ends up just over the threshold for a medical redshirt but it wouldn't bother me if she was granted an extra year...she's a great player and would love to see her around the Big Ten for another year.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/12/14 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just very sad and a huge loss for this season.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/12/14 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the debate should be steered away from whether or not she qualifies for a redshirt and onto whether or not she wants to return. You guys probably know her better than anyone, so weigh all the pros and cons and come up with a conclusion.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 12/12/14 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banham was one of the players I've been interested in watching play. When UCLA played Minnesota last year, I loved the way she played ball. Very smooth on everything she did and with finesse and confidence. What a huge blow for her. Hope she recovers quickly.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/13/14 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's official that Banham is eligible for a redshirt. In the most recent article, she says she's mulling over her options. So it's not automatic that she wants to return.

blaase22

PostPosted: 12/13/14 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Lynx tell her they will draft her at 11 maybe she wont be back.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 12/13/14 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

That's assuming nobody else would draft her. Maybe the Fever would draft and wait a year on her like they did with Natalie Achonwa.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/13/14 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

That's assuming nobody else would draft her. Maybe the Fever would draft and wait a year on her like they did with Natalie Achonwa.

Why IND? I was thinking Thibault would be the one to spoil things like he did in 2004. He picked an ACL afflicted player #7 in the 2010 draft.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/13/14 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/285692321.html

Quote:
To receive the waiver, Minnesota needs to submit documentation and a request but wouldn’t do so until the end of the season. Banham is mulling her options, the university spokesperson said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: