RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno's bench just got a little shorter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 12/09/14 7:36 pm    ::: Geno's bench just got a little shorter Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-uconn-sadie-edwards-1210-20141209,0,3061690.story

Quote:
STORRS, Conn. - Freshman guard Sadie Edwards has decided to transfer from the University of Connecticut women's basketball program, as announced by head coach Geno Auriemma on Tuesday.

"Sadie is a great kid who will be missed by the coaching staff and her teammates," Auriemma said. "Getting to know Sadie and her family has been a pleasure but she has voiced her desire to play more and we have come to the mutual agreement that this can best be accomplished at a different school. I wish Sadie nothing but the best in the future."

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/09/14 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smart, swift move by Edwards.

Sort of poignant. She's a Connecticut girl who always dreamed of playing for the Huskies and has ambitions to play in the pros. That was not in the (quickly dealt) cards at UConn.
auntie

PostPosted: 12/09/14 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Smart, swift move by Edwards.

Sort of poignant. She's a Connecticut girl who always dreamed of playing for the Huskies and has ambitions to play in the pros. That was not in the (quickly dealt) cards at UConn.

So she wants more playing time? There have not been many in state players in recent years.

PostPosted: 12/09/14 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any guesses as to where she'll go? Will it be one of the other schools she looked at, or somewhere else?

PostPosted: 12/10/14 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Any guesses as to where she'll go? Will it be one of the other schools she looked at, or somewhere else?

When I asked her last January where she would have gone if not UConn, she said she liked Kentucky, Notre Dame, Louisville and Tennessee, all of which had given her offers. However, I have no idea whether those schools would still be her interests.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sCZ0dt53U_Q?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/10/14 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

When I asked her last January where she would have gone if not UConn, she said she liked Kentucky, Notre Dame, Louisville and Tennessee, all of which had given her offers. However, I have no idea whether those schools would still be her interests.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sCZ0dt53U_Q?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tennessee is pretty guard-heavy. Louisville could probably use her skills, as could UK with O'Neill being a senior. ND is maybe a little guard-heavy also. Didn't she mention Georgetown as a school she'd been recruited by too?

PostPosted: 12/10/14 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Tennessee is pretty guard-heavy. Louisville could probably use her skills, as could UK with O'Neill being a senior. ND is maybe a little guard-heavy also. Didn't she mention Georgetown as a school she'd been recruited by too?

If she wants to play, then Georgetown would have to be the top choice. If she has any other criteria, the Hoyas would seem to drop to the bottom.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/10/14 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

If she wants to play, then Georgetown would have to be the top choice. If she has any other criteria, the Hoyas would seem to drop to the bottom.

Not if she wants a good education ...

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/10/14 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I stand corrected (and somewhat embarassed). I was thinking about basketball, but if she wants an education, then Georgetown would be a fine choice.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/10/14 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I stand corrected (and somewhat embarassed). I was thinking about basketball, but if she wants an education, then Georgetown would be a fine choice.

I was just teasing you a bit Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/10/14 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville is an okay school too....my friend's granddaughter is in dental school there. Georgetown is not a *horrible* basketball team, just not one of the top ones.

PostPosted: 12/10/14 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I think you were too quick to apologize. A good education certainly qualifies as "any other criteria" in choosing a college.

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/10/14 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Louisville is an okay school too....my friend's granddaughter is in dental school there. Georgetown is not a *horrible* basketball team, just not one of the top ones.

G-town had a good run for a couple of years, but last year they were 11-21 and right now they're 2-8, and their only wins are over Maryland-Eastern Shore and Loyola-Maryland. I'm sorry to say this, but I think they've reverted to their bad old ways.

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/10/14 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I think you were too quick to apologize. A good education certainly qualifies as "any other criteria" in choosing a college.

Matty may have been teasing me, but still was right.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/10/14 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I completely agree. I am a higher education research (and PhD), so you don't need to convince me. I just mean that I know what BeK meant.

I wish more players took their actual education more seriously in these decisions, but it doesn't seem to be that central.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/10/14 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not getting any strong vibe on the Good Education part of this girl's goals; I mean, she's a freshman who apparently thinks thinks Geno owes her more playing time. Really?

I count 4 frosh at UConn: (ESPN ranked) #14 Williams, #17 Edwards, #31 Eckmark, and #33 Nurse. Nurse has been the star of the (otherwise-mediocre-by-UConn-standards) bunch. If she isn't willing to put in the time to fulfill her "dream" past one semester of her freshman season, I think she's got some Real Life Lessons ahead of her. Shocked

PostPosted: 12/11/14 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a general rule, ND doesn't take athletic transfers (except for the Men's BBall team, which has recently). I don't see the Women's Basketball program following in the footsteps of the Men's program in this regard.

The only one off the top of my head that I can think of (besides 1 or 2 Men's Basketball players) was Pat Eilers in Football, but he was an academic transfer from Yale who walked on at ND and eventually got a scholarship. ND does have a safety on the Football team, but he's a 5th year senior who graduated from UF, so he isn't technically a "transfer" but a grad student with a year of eligibility left.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/11/14 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
As a general rule, ND doesn't take athletic transfers (except for the Men's BBall team, which has recently). I don't see the Women's Basketball program following in the footsteps of the Men's program in this regard.

The only one off the top of my head that I can think of (besides 1 or 2 Men's Basketball players) was Pat Eilers in Football, but he was an academic transfer from Yale who walked on at ND and eventually got a scholarship. ND does have a safety on the Football team, but he's a 5th year senior who graduated from UF, so he isn't technically a "transfer" but a grad student with a year of eligibility left.

There have been football transfers accepted. Amir Carlisle and Cody Riggs are both there right now.

There have been a lot of MBB transfers accepted.

With the three guards coming in next year in WBB though, I don't think there is room or need at ND.

Beemer

PostPosted: 12/11/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I'm not getting any strong vibe on the Good Education part of this girl's goals; I mean, she's a freshman who apparently thinks thinks Geno owes her more playing time. Really?

I count 4 frosh at UConn: (ESPN ranked) #14 Williams, #17 Edwards, #31 Eckmark, and #33 Nurse. Nurse has been the star of the (otherwise-mediocre-by-UConn-standards) bunch. If she isn't willing to put in the time to fulfill her "dream" past one semester of her freshman season, I think she's got some Real Life Lessons ahead of her. Shocked

I agree that she certainly pulled the transfer trigger very quickly, the first semester isn't even over yet.

Auriemma has always made it clear that playing time is earned & not given. I believe she has averaged less than 2 minutes per game so clearly he thinks she hasn't done anything to warrant more playing time.

Good luck to her wherever she goes. Just not against UConn!

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:

I agree that she certainly pulled the transfer trigger very quickly, the first semester isn't even over yet.

Auriemma has always made it clear that playing time is earned & not given. I believe she has averaged less than 2 minutes per game so clearly he thinks she hasn't done anything to warrant more playing time.

If you know you're going to do it, for whatever reason, now is the smart time. Leaving at mid semester allows you to play starting in January of next year at your new school so you get to play the entire conference schedule and tournaments and don't miss a whole year. And getting permission to contact now lets you talk to other schools and find a new home starting in January.

It's certainly better than sitting on the bench this entire year and then sitting out all of next year.

Ohio St has two players becoming eligible in Jan who did the same thing last year - one from Duke and one from Georgetown.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:

Auriemma has always made it clear that playing time is earned & not given.

This rule doesn't doesn't seem to apply to Team USA. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 12/11/14 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Beemer wrote:

Oh, no you DI'IN'T!! Shocked Razz

PostPosted: 12/11/14 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Beemer wrote:

If you know you're going to do it, for whatever reason, now is the smart time. Leaving at mid semester allows you to play starting in January of next year at your new school so you get to play the entire conference schedule and tournaments and don't miss a whole year. And getting permission to contact now lets you talk to other schools and find a new home starting in January.

It's certainly better than sitting on the bench this entire year and then sitting out all of next year.

Ohio St has two players becoming eligible in Jan who did the same thing last year - one from Duke and one from Georgetown.

I was not aware of that- so yes then it was from her viewpoint the perfect time to go.

It had to be tough for her to give up her dream of being a UConn Husky so soon though.

PostPosted: 12/11/14 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Beemer wrote:

Not.going.anywhere.near.this. Wink

PostPosted: 12/23/14 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sadie Edwards tweeted she's transferring to Southern Cal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: