RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The best X vs. X State game (is today)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/07/14 9:47 am    ::: The best X vs. X State game (is today) Reply Reply with quote

Florida vs. Florida State, today at 2 ET.

The best.

The most important.

The tradition. The rivalry. The love. The hate. The overall sports power of both schools. The clash of SEC and ACC. The Holiday Snow Festival after the game at the Tallahassee Civic Center.

If any X vs. X State game is better or more important this season, persuasive arguments need to be made. Facts are optional.
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 12/07/14 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say that the Iowa State-Iowa game is a more intense rivalry--and that the Cyclones and Hawkeyes have been more revelant in WBB, making their rivalry game far more significant than that of Florida and Florida State.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/07/14 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I'd say that the Iowa State-Iowa game is a more intense rivalry--and that the Cyclones and Hawkeyes have been more revelant in WBB, making their rivalry game far more significant than that of Florida and Florida State.

I'd agree with that, though I would certainly concede the point that the athletic departments as a whole are much more powerful at Florida State/Florida.

I'm thinking/hoping that the Michigan/Michigan State rivalry is about to really heat up with the improvement of Michigan under their new coach. I know this is a conference rivalry and doesn't feature 2 competing Power 5 leagues, but down the road these match-ups could go a long way towards determining conference championships.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/07/14 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would hope the U-M/MSU rivalry would be more relevant soon, also.

Glen, I'd have to disagree with your premise that a non-conference rivalry is the most important. This game won't mean as much as an Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, Michigan or Kansas match-up in conference, either late in the season or at a conference tournament.

loneycafe

PostPosted: 12/07/14 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most meaningful game will be UNC at NC State on Feb. 16 in Reynolds, in Raleigh. It's the Hoops 4 Hope game.

No matter how much of a rebuilding year this is for the Wolfpack Women, it will be a sell-out game. Two schools that hate each other but rise above it with a shared disdain for cancer. Two programs led by two coaches directly impacted by it. No Play 4 Kay games tops the original, and no two in-state rivalries will play on a day with more meaning, at the place that brought both Jimmy V Week and the Play 4 Kay games to raise cancer awareness.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 12/07/14 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If that was the best X vs. X State game, I'd hate to see the worst.

Not sure what's happened to Florida, but Amanda Butler seems to have quickly coached her way back on to the hot seat this week.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/07/14 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I like FSU-UF because FSU is one of my almas and the rivalry is part of my blood -- plus, I was at the game.

The sainted Noles crushed the evil Gators.

FSU has an impressive front line of Ivey Slaughter, Morgan Jones, and the greatest offensive and defensive basketball force ever to emerge from Alberta -- and perhaps all of Canada -- 6-4 Adut Bulgak, who is leading the team in PPG, RPG, FG%, blocks and is also hitting threes at 50%.

Coming off the bench is the most explosive freshman east of Ariel Atkins, Shakayla Thomas.

Assistant coaches Muriel Page and Brooke Wyckoff both look so fit that they surely could still start and star for UF and FSU. Indeed, Wyckoff looks as if she could star for Vogue.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 12/08/14 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 12/08/14 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An interesting X vs X St will be Oregon-Oregon St, who face each other on Jan 9 & 11th. The NBA used to do this a lot. Great for fans.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/08/14 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UW and WSU both field their best squads in at least a decade, and they play their Home-and-Home at the end of the season, so it should be a really competitive weekend.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/08/14 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am purely mortified and nearly at The Vapors that you should have so callously and indifferently omitted The Greatest State Rivalry of All Time: The Bedlam Series. That's right: Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State. One of the Big 12's finer showcase events. Cool

PostPosted: 12/11/14 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mid-major rivalry in a flyover state, but for pure hatred and scorn of each other, hard to beat New Mexico State vs. New Mexico, alternately known as The Rio Grande Rivalry or the Battle of I-25.

They just played their one game of the season for 2014-15 on Sunday:

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-opinion/ci_27089481/nmsu-womens-basketball-aggies-snap-12-game-losing

But plans are to return a home-and-home next year between NMSU of the WAC and UNM of the MWC, with one game at the Aggies' Pan American Center and one at New Mexico's storied home, WisePies Arena (yes, WisePies Arena! Jim Valvano is no doubt rolling over Smile )

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 12/11/14 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the Tennessee, Georgia game, lot of head busting.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/12/14 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

X vs. X State is not necessarily the only "state bragging rights" kind of game. I would think in KY it would be the UK-Louisville game. In TN it's usually considered to be UT-Memphis, although that's more on the men's side than the women's. The women's might be UT-Vandy.

PostPosted: 12/12/14 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
An interesting X vs X St will be Oregon-Oregon St, who face each other on Jan 9 & 11th. The NBA used to do this a lot. Great for fans.

yeah, looking forward to this 'civil war' game.

Stanford-Cal is also a pretty good rivalry. In football, it's ferocious; in bball, merely intense.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: