RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Has parity Nirvana arrived in 2015 to Wimin's basketball?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:35 am    ::: Has parity Nirvana arrived in 2015 to Wimin's basketball? Reply Reply with quote

After a year when UConn and ND were so far and away better than any other team they could have penciled them into the title game in December what INSANITY we are seeing.

I LOVE it.

It of course all started when a decent but certainly not great Stanford team showed UConn will miss Dolson and Hartley more than first thought with a OT upset.

This was followed by the EMERGENCE of Texas to the national scene! Like lazarus rising from the tomb! The doormant Longhorns have wins over Stanford and Tennessee!

#1 South Carolina got a scare from ranked Syracuse.

Tennessee lost to Chattanooga!

Duke and Elizabeth Williams look to finally have put it together!

Texas A&M and Baylor there like always. UNC has shown there is some life after Diamond. Rutgers is scoring baskets!

Ahhh! I can barely take the unpredictability! I am not used to this.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/02/14 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TBD if this translates into some tourney upsets

REALLY TBD if this translates into any kind of long run thing.

But enjoy it as it is....and I will say that this does have some legs in this regard:

Changing of the guard at Tennessee

Conference shuffle making UConn *Slightly* Less attractive.

Less of a gap between the high 5 the medium 5 and the high 4 in overall talent.

Now we thought we had arrived in 2005-2006 with UConn and Tennesse both in reload mode and the emergence of Baylor Maryland, Michigan State and Duke the reality was they were more replacing fading powers Texas (which has since returned this year) NC State (RIP Kay) La Tech and ODU.

Reinvestment in the late 2ks brought us powers in Louisville and Kentucky (the seeds were starting to be planted in 05-06 under DeMoss and Collen but would explode under their successors)

2 heavy and perennial mid major powers were just underway back then, which siphons off the developable 3 and 4 star projects...Marist and Gonzaga.

We are starting to see the fruit of similar reinvestments in the Pac 12 especially Oregon State (We'll see about Oregon despite the hype tho they certainly have the athletic budget)

Both teams reloaded and the status quo returned minus the UConn Tennessee rivalry (That's another thread)

This is not to say Tennessee and UConn are fading powers they are in the thick of it and both have good odds to make the final 4

But the top of the top are certainly spreading around this year. You had UNC's super class and even with Deshields going to Tennessee they will be a force

Aja joining an already loaded South Carolina team

you do have the breakup of the Big East (Which at most times was neck and neck with the SEC for best conference stem to stern and often sent more teams to the NCAAs) which added depth to the ACC, spun off the catholic powers (which are midpack tourney teams at best and im saying this as a Big East supporter), and left us with UConn dangling.

Stanford in a reload year...who promptly beats UConn

Yeah this one may have staying power or at least the power to create a new power that stays (Like 05-06 did with Baylor and Maryland, and Michigan state and duke are still around near the top but not AT the top)

We'll see, its not like Tennesse and UConn are off the recruiting cliff, quite the opposite.

But there is excitement in the air...as you can see some of the cracks and some of the better talent going elsewhere...enjoy it, it's a wide open and fun season Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/02/14 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was suprisewd to see RU with 100 points.

RU fgans, when is the last time that happened?

I think the re-emergnce of the Pac 12, with several very decent teams, is one of the big storries.

PRballer

PostPosted: 12/02/14 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

I think the re-emergnce of the Pac 12, with several very decent teams, is one of the big storries.

UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, Washington and Arizona State are all legit NCAA teams this year. Will the conference get 7 bids though? Will UCLA be able to overcome it's tough non-conference?

Really interesting to see this race come Feb/March.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just one caution...look at the calendar. What's the date? Mine says Dec. 2. Upsets are pretty common this time of year. As the great Pat was fond of saying, it's not about how your team plays in December, it's about how they play in March.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Just one caution...look at the calendar. What's the date? Mine says Dec. 2. Upsets are pretty common this time of year. As the great Pat was fond of saying, it's not about how your team plays in December, it's about how they play in March.
It's too early in the season to talk about parity just because UConn lost to Stanford and Stanford to lost Texas. Both Stanford and UConn had major personnel losses. If UConn starts losing conference games in that mid major conference they're currently in, then I might talk about parity.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Phil wrote:

UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, Washington and Arizona State are all legit NCAA teams this year. Will the conference get 7 bids though? Will UCLA be able to overcome it's tough non-conference?

I'd add Washington St as a contender.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/02/14 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
It's too early in the season to talk about parity just because UConn lost to Stanford and Stanford to lost Texas. Both Stanford and UConn had major personnel losses. If UConn starts losing conference games in that mid major conference they're currently in, then I might talk about parity.

So...it's only parity in WBB if UConn loses to Tulsa or East Carolina? That's definitely a different take on parity.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/02/14 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

So...it's only parity in WBB if UConn loses to Tulsa or East Carolina? That's definitely a different take on parity.

while I have the same caution and want to wait til the tourney to say it was a parity year...that's a little extreme

UConn is in a conference that would 1 bid without them and with UConn's RPI boost will still be lucky to not 1 bid. (I think they will as their top below UConn are decent with ECU, Tulane and USF, I'd think one will emerge as a solid 2nd, likely USF)

I would more say yeah if Tennessee swept the conference, or if the Pac 12 fell flat and the B1G totally cannabilized itself and only got 4-5 teams in then we can say there is no parity. but I think this will be a very painful selection Monday with more than 1 team waddling home after being badly screwed.

The upper middle and the middle middle are closer than ever, and there will be some tough tough games and some major upsets in the conference...I think NO ONE gets out undefeated overall (Since UConn already lost tho I can see that being UConn's ONLY loss given the questionable strength of the AAC) that bottom of the high majors, the Michigans, The Seton Halls and St. Johnses, the West Virginias, the Oklahomas of the world may very well come down to one head to head game, and even if UConn three peats, or we end up with the same F4 as it ever was...guess what, that is still parity...and it's growing

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parity comes in different degrees. If you're waiting for "Any Given Sunday" type parity, where every time on the floor is a potential loss if you don't bring your A game you're bound for disappointment. Neither WCBB nor MCBB has that, nor will they. Both CBBs have some level of parity. The difference is that on the men's side the number of teams that could potentially beat Kentucky is about 30 while on the women's side the number of teams that could potentially beat UConn is about 15.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Phil wrote:

I'm going to wait until UCLA wins a game before deciding they're in. Granted, they've had a really brutal first four games, but the JMU loss is one to make you wonder. That said, it's good to see the Pac-12 doing well.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Parity comes in different degrees. If you're waiting for "Any Given Sunday" type parity, where every time on the floor is a potential loss if you don't bring your A game you're bound for disappointment. Neither WCBB nor MCBB has that, nor will they. Both CBBs have some level of parity. The difference is that on the men's side the number of teams that could potentially beat Kentucky is about 30 while on the women's side the number of teams that could potentially beat UConn is about 15.

Which is an improvement cuz in all reality the last 2 years that number was closer to 5. (Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford MAYBE Louisville, POSSIBLY Duke)

PostPosted: 12/02/14 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Which is an improvement cuz in all reality the last 2 years that number was closer to 5. (Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford MAYBE Louisville, POSSIBLY Duke)

St. Johns says hello, as the last team outside of the aforementioned to beat the Huskies.

Colerr

PostPosted: 12/02/14 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

Laughing

Howee

PostPosted: 12/02/14 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
pilight wrote:

....and THOSE are remote "MAYBEs" AND "POSSIBLYs" Razz I'd agree, the Dynamic of Dominance is much more fluid in our game this year.

I don't know if I saw it listed in posts above, but I think one clear factor is there's no uber-talented team, and many VERY talented teams, with a greater wealth of talent spread amongst various conferences/teams.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colerr wrote:
Phil wrote:

Laughing

That's the spring half of 1995, as in pre-CVS, in case you were wondering. (And witnesses at the game say the team actively was going for 100, although it was all bench players on the court by then.)

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/02/14 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

X_____

PostPosted: 12/02/14 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Possibly Duke???????? Louisville??? Stanford??? They all played UConn in the last 2 years and got their asses handed to them, both home and away. Rolling Eyes And I don't know how you can use "potentially" in assessing the last 2 years. There was one team and it was Notre Dame.

Now at this point in this season I'll agree that UConn has displayed vulnerability but I seriously doubt there are more than 4 or 5 teams that have a shot on a neutral court.

I readily admit that there has been more parity so far in the season. But one post in this thread mentioned Tenn & Conn in the same breath:

Quote:
This is not to say Tennessee and UConn are fading powers they are in the thick of it and both have good odds to make the final 4

First, I'd like take UConn and give Tenn to that poster in a wager as to who goes further in the NCAA's.

UConn lost by 2 points in OT to a team had lost a total of 7 home games in the last 16 years. Tenn lost on the the road to an unranked in-state mid major and then lost convincingly to Texas. The 2 programs aren't even in the same universe anymore, either in recruiting or in performance .

I'm a UConn fan and I welcome parity. But I want it to be because other teams have raised their level of play, not because UConn has slid back into the pack.

SueFavor

PostPosted: 12/02/14 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We had a nice bunch of parity last season, and then the Final Four was a complete blowout disappointment.

So we'll see.

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 12/02/14 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Possibly Duke???????? Louisville??? Stanford??? They all played UConn in the last 2 years and got their asses handed to them, both home and away. Rolling Eyes And I don't know how you can use "potentially" in assessing the last 2 years. There was one team and it was Notre Dame.

Now at this point in this season I'll agree that UConn has displayed vulnerability but I seriously doubt there are more than 4 or 5 teams that have a shot on a neutral court.

I readily admit that there has been more parity so far in the season. But one post in this thread mentioned Tenn & Conn in the same breath:

Quote:

First, I'd like take UConn and give Tenn to that poster in a wager as to who goes further in the NCAA's.

UConn lost by 2 points in OT to a team had lost a total of 7 home games in the last 16 years. Tenn lost on the the road to an unranked in-state mid major and then lost convincingly to Texas. The 2 programs aren't even in the same universe anymore, either in recruiting or in performance .

I'm a UConn fan and I welcome parity. But I want it to be because other teams have raised their level of play, not because UConn has slid back into the pack.

In Stanford's defense they did end Baylor's 42 game winning streak--and were the only team to beat Brittany Griner in the Regular Season during her last two years at Baylor. Stanford may have matched up poorly with UConn last year--but that win over Baylor certainly cemented their status among the elite teams in the nation--given what Baylor had just done the season before. While I understand that the perspective from a UConn Fan's standpoint is that other teams are measured by how they do against the Huskies--there are other games being played that bear some significance. This win over Baylor regardless of the circumstances of the game--along with the recent win over UConn and last years tourney comeback against a TOUGH UNC squad would be my indications that Stanford still belongs amongst the Elite.

Stanford may not have been able to beat UConn in the last two years, but last year no one beat the Huskies and Notre Dame was the only one to accomplish it the year before--and if you want to talk about the margin of victory last year--Stanford actually gave the Huskies one of their toughest games, along with BYU and Texas A&M. Those three teams are the only ones who came within 20 points of UConn last season. I'd take umbrage with putting Stanford in the same category as Duke and Louisville, because Stanford unlike the other two, has risen to the occasion numerous times to beat a team that is supposedly unbeatable. (UConn's 90 game streak, Baylor's 42 game streak, UConn's other streak this year, among others)

What have Tennessee and Duke done apart from have some so-called talent to be considered "elite"?

linkster

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

In Stanford's defense they did end Baylor's 42 game winning streak--and were the only team to beat Brittany Griner in the Regular Season during her last two years at Baylor. Stanford may have matched up poorly with UConn last year--but that win over Baylor certainly cemented their status among the elite teams in the nation--given what Baylor had just done the season before. While I understand that the perspective from a UConn Fan's standpoint is that other teams are measured by how they do against the Huskies--there are other games being played that bear some significance. This win over Baylor regardless of the circumstances of the game--along with the recent win over UConn and last years tourney comeback against a TOUGH UNC squad would be my indications that Stanford still belongs amongst the Elite.

Stanford may not have been able to beat UConn in the last two years, but last year no one beat the Huskies and Notre Dame was the only one to accomplish it the year before--and if you want to talk about the margin of victory last year--Stanford actually gave the Huskies one of their toughest games, along with BYU and Texas A&M. Those three teams are the only ones who came within 20 points of UConn last season. I'd take umbrage with putting Stanford in the same category as Duke and Louisville, because Stanford unlike the other two, has risen to the occasion numerous times to beat a team that is supposedly unbeatable. (UConn's 90 game streak, Baylor's 42 game streak, UConn's other streak this year, among others)

What have Tennessee and Duke done apart from have some so-called talent to be considered "elite"?

I've always admired Stanford's ability to win big games, my memory reluctantly going back to their win in the FF semi's of 08. But it has to be noted that the win against Baylor was after Sims went down early in the game and the 'close' game at UConn was in part due to Lewis injuring her elbow and missing half the game.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I've always admired Stanford's ability to win big games, my memory reluctantly going back to their win in the FF semi's of 08. But it has to be noted that the win against Baylor was after Sims went down early in the game and the 'close' game at UConn was in part due to Lewis injuring her elbow and missing half the game.

Stanford played two games against UConn, IIRC, and lost by the same margin both times. What's the excuse the second time? Mosqueda Lewis was hopping on one foot? Compared to Mikaela Ruef being injured?

Rolling Eyes

I did mention that there were circumstances surrounding Stanford's win in Baylor--but a win is a win in the end.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/02/14 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
pilight wrote:

St. Johns says hello, as the last team outside of the aforementioned to beat the Huskies.

<-----

No one on this board is prouder than I am of that win, but at the same time, it took buzzer beating threes to end both halves, Herculean defensive effort, UConn losing a starter in the first two minutes (Faris, IIRC), a crapton of luck, and yes, a combination of St. John's going "we ain't afraid of no Huskies" and UConn's tendency to freeze up in unexpectedly tight endgames.

There's a difference between a team being expected to have the ability to beat UConn before the tip, and a team actually pulling the win out after the buzzer. We need more of both (or, if UConn goes down someday, the next big superpower).

PostPosted: 12/02/14 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
pilight wrote:

<-----

No one on this board is prouder than I am of that win, but at the same time, it took buzzer beating threes to end both halves, Herculean defensive effort, UConn losing a starter in the first two minutes (Faris, IIRC), a crapton of luck, and yes, a combination of St. John's going "we ain't afraid of no Huskies" and UConn's tendency to freeze up in unexpectedly tight endgames.

There's a difference between a team being expected to have the ability to beat UConn before the tip, and a team actually pulling the win out after the buzzer. We need more of both (or, if UConn goes down someday, the next big superpower).

No, you need to give more credit to your team. Faris played 36 minutes. The only starters who didn't play huge minutes were Doty (but she always played few minutes, although 8 is REALLY lowl) and Dolson only played 20 minutes. But the game write-up never mentioned an injury: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2011-2012/021812wb.html

linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/14 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Quote:
Stanford played two games against UConn, IIRC, and lost by the same margin both times. What's the excuse the second time? Mosqueda Lewis was hopping on one foot? Compared to Mikaela Ruef being injured?

Rolling Eyes

Excuse? LOL UConn won the 2 games by 19 and 20 points. In the first game Reuf played 32 minutes and had 3 points and 9 rb's while Tuck played 18 minutes and had 11 points and 4 rb's. So the 2 teams lost about the same in the second game. And I'd say that a 20 point win in the FF, with a game against Notre Dame looming, was much more impressive than a 19 point win at home in November. Tara has given UConn fans nightmares in the FF but hasn't fared very well in early season trips to the east coast.

Quote:
I did mention that there were circumstances surrounding Stanford's win in Baylor--but a win is a win in the end.

Sorry but I was referring to your post above, which didn't mention Sims.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: