RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/01/14 12:49 pm    ::: AP Poll out Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/4/seasontype/2

South Carolina still #1

Texas up to #4

North Carolina up to #6

Tennessee down to #14

Arkansas in

PostPosted: 12/01/14 1:30 pm    ::: Re: AP Poll out Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/4/seasontype/2

South Carolina still #1

Texas up to #4

North Carolina up to #6

Tennessee down to #14

Arkansas in

That was the part I was curious to see about.
Shades

PostPosted: 12/01/14 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I kinda feel bad for Chattanooga. They only get one point for beating Tennessee. Laughing

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
And1

PostPosted: 12/01/14 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who is the lonely sole still voting for UCONN? Until SC or ND loses, UCONN shouldn't be getting No. 1 votes.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/01/14 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Who is the lonely sole still voting for UCONN? Until SC or ND loses, UCONN shouldn't be getting No. 1 votes.

Not even then. Why should UConn get votes over, say, Texas, Texas A&M, or North Carolina? Two of those teams beat the team that beat UConn.

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/01/14 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I assume the theory on the part of the UConn voter is that a close OT loss on the road would have been a win anywhere else. It's not crazy, even if I wouldn't do it myself. And Stanford's experiences right after that game suggest it was a fluke.

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/02/14 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reputation and preconceptions count for a lot in balloting. If, before the season starts, you have been considered a top team with a reputation to boot, losses will not drop you as quickly or far as other teams that do not share your pedigree. Conversely if you start un-ranked with no rep it takes much more effort to climb the rankings. Not saying it's necessarily wrong, but it usually takes quite a lot more to change our preconceptions than it took to form our initial opinions. For example consider the relative lesser drop for Tenn than any rise for the team that beat them. ( Just one vote for Chattanooga).

pilight

PostPosted: 12/02/14 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I assume the theory on the part of the UConn voter is that a close OT loss on the road would have been a win anywhere else. It's not crazy, even if I wouldn't do it myself. And Stanford's experiences right after that game suggest it was a fluke.

Stanford's experiences right after could also lead one to believe that UConn is not that good. It's not like they have a ton of quality wins.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Stanford's experiences right after could also lead one to believe that UConn is not that good. It's not like they have a ton of quality wins.

I wouldn't say that's wrong, either, but I'm pretty sure the lone UConn voter doesn't feel that way.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/02/14 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
pilight wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I wouldn't say that's wrong, either, but I'm pretty sure the lone UConn voter doesn't feel that way.

Or, it's at least as likely the lone UConn voter just doesn't care. I expect that voter would have voted the same regardless of Stanford's other results.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/02/14 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
beknighted wrote:

UConn has zero wins over ranked teams and is the highest rankied team to have that distonction.

#7 Louisville
#9 Duke
#10 Cal
#11 Baylor
#12 Nebraska
#14 TN
and
#15 Maryland are also looking for their first win over a ranked team

pilight

PostPosted: 12/02/14 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:

The AP doesn't seem to be posting individual ballots anymore, so there's not telling.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
And1 wrote:

The AP doesn't seem to be posting individual ballots anymore, so there's not telling.

I thought they posted the media votes at a later date. They still do that for the coaches' poll (after the season ends), right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: