RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best coaches under 50
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/26/14 12:04 pm    ::: Best coaches under 50 Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley.
loneycafe

PostPosted: 11/26/14 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Banghart

pilight

PostPosted: 11/26/14 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sherri Coale, for the next couple of months
Brenda Frese
Lindsay Gottlieb
Joanne P McCallie
Jeff Walz

I believe that's all the ones who have made the F4.

Last edited by pilight on 11/26/14 12:45 pm; edited 7 times in total
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/26/14 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sherri Coale, for the next couple of months
Brenda Frese
Lindsay Gottlieb
Joanne P McCallie
Jeff Walz

Tony Bozzella Underrated Mid Major coach who was the principal if not only true chaser to the Georgis Empire in the Maac and now is turning around Seton Hall in record time...great ambassador for the game and a true voice for the sport.

Second Courtney Banghart she should get a Power 5 job soon, great job with the tigers.

Walz is beyond reproach with his winning ways.

How old is McGuff...he may be a scumbag but he is a winning scumbag lol

PostPosted: 11/26/14 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scott Rueck - Oregon State University.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/26/14 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't have guessed that Joanne P. McCallie is under 50...since it seems like she's been out of favor forever. Laughing

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 11/26/14 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why not coaches 50 and under? Texas' Karen Aston would make the cut. Idea

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/26/14 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Im curious. Outside of beating Stanford, what has Aston done?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/26/14 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

Im curious. Outside of beating Stanford, what has Aston done?

Basically brought back the Texas WBB program from wherever it had sunk to after Jodi Conradt left.....something Gail Goestenkors certainly couldn't do!

PostPosted: 11/26/14 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Tricia Cullop, of Toledo.

loneycafe

PostPosted: 11/26/14 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this thread.

Don't want to turn this into a negative thread, but one coach under 50 I'm surprised hasn't panned out (so far, perhaps) is Kellie Harper.

bekcat1

PostPosted: 11/26/14 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

loneycafe wrote:
I like this thread.

Don't want to turn this into a negative thread, but one coach under 50 I'm surprised hasn't panned out (so far, perhaps) is Kellie Harper.

Kellie Harper might end up being a coach who can be wildly successful at a mid-major level, but maybe not on a power conference level. Nothing wrong with that...those kids need great coaches, too.

stever

PostPosted: 11/26/14 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/26/14 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah Gulf Coast for sure!

I'm also interested to see how Summit Jr turns out - too early to tell for sure but I really think he will be a good one.

Graves at Oregon is just over at age 51, but I think he will be around for awhile.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/26/14 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I'm also interested to see how Summit Jr turns out - too early to tell for sure but I really think he will be a good one.

Graves at Oregon is just over at age 51, but I think he will be around for awhile.

I'm very curious about why you really think Summit will be good. That just strikes me as coin flip today. Or maybe worse. Most people don't end up being really good. Right now he's 1-2 so there's no record saying he will come out on the plus side. Maybe he will be, but every time I hear this I just think of the son of another famous coach who learned from his dad - one of the greatest basketball minds ever - yet turned out to be a complete bust, and that's Pat Knight. I'm not sure coaching acumen is a genetic trait that can be inherited.

Another way to look at this question is, if you were you're school's AD and your coach retired next April, who would you call first. If I was ND's Jack Swarbrick and Muffit retired, I think Kevin McGuff and Kelly Graves would be my first two calls.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/26/14 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Another way to look at this question is, if you were you're school's AD and your coach retired next April, who would you call first. If I was ND's Jack Swarbrick and Muffit retired, I think Kevin McGuff and Kelly Graves would be my first two calls.

That's not really a fair question. You're not going to get Brenda Frese, the only under 50 coach with a national championship, or if you do it's going to cost you an arm and a leg.

PostPosted: 11/26/14 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

That's not really a fair question. You're not going to get Brenda Frese, the only under 50 coach with a national championship, or if you do it's going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Maybe. I didn't say McGuff or Graves would say yes either, but you don't know if you don't csll and ask. I bet Brenda would take the Tenn job.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/26/14 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How old is Melanie Balcomb? I couldn't find her age online, but she must be right around 50. She does more with less as well as any other coach out there.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/26/14 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Maybe. I didn't say McGuff or Graves would say yes either, but you don't know if you don't csll and ask. I bet Brenda would take the Tenn job.

I don't know if she'd take it or not. I suspect they'd have to offer her a lot of money, although that might not be a problem at Tennessee. Right now she's making just short of $1 million a year, in a gig where she probably is safe for the next 10 years, at a school that's getting a big infusion of money from joining the B1G. It's hard to know what Warlick's total compensation is, but her base is around $550,000.

Anyway, phrasing it as who you'd call first is a somewhat different question from asking who the best coaches under 50 are. A top school might want someone with a history in the program (although I'm pretty sure Maryland wouldn't call Jeff Walz), or might feel the need to get someone who has a FF (or more than one) or a national championship. Another school might have budget issues that would make it more feasible to go after a top mid-major coach rather than someone like Walz or Frese.

All that said, Walz would be pretty high on my list as a top coach under 50. Both Coale and Frese seem to me to have done better getting talent than maximizing it. (I'm still wondering how Oklahoma made only 1 FF when the Paris sisters were there.) That said, if I had a program that needed to start from scratch, which was basically the situation at Maryland and Oklahoma, and they were willing to talk, they'd be on my short list (as would Walz).

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/26/14 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
How old is Melanie Balcomb? I couldn't find her age online, but she must be right around 50. She does more with less as well as any other coach out there.

I agree about Balcomb. If she could ever get the recruiting ball really rolling, Vandy would be a top-10 every year. Her X's and O's and in game coaching have always impressed me. It has to be almost impossible to be in the state of Tennessee and win a recruiting war against the LV's.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/26/14 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I agree about Balcomb. If she could ever get the recruiting ball really rolling, Vandy would be a top-10 every year. Her X's and O's and in game coaching have always impressed me. It has to be almost impossible to be in the state of Tennessee and win a recruiting war against the LV's.

She graduated from high school in 1980, according to Wikipedia (which is never wrong), so that would make her 52 or maybe 53 if she graduated at 18, but certainly over 50 even if she graduated a bit young.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/26/14 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Right now she's making just short of $1 million a year, in a gig where she probably is safe for the next 10 years, at a school that's getting a big infusion of money from joining the B1G. It's hard to know what Warlick's total compensation is, but her base is around $550,000.

Frese's base was $382,800 in January of this year. The total is reportedly about a million, with the rest being radio and TV and shoes and so forth. I expect Warlick's total compensation exceeds that of Frese.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/26/14 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm very curious about why you really think Summit will be good. That just strikes me as coin flip today. Or maybe worse. Most people don't end up being really good. Right now he's 1-2 so there's no record saying he will come out on the plus side. Maybe he will be, but every time I hear this I just think of the son of another famous coach who learned from his dad - one of the greatest basketball minds ever - yet turned out to be a complete bust, and that's Pat Knight. I'm not sure coaching acumen is a genetic trait that can be inherited.

Only thing I'll say about pat knight was he was taught an antiquated, vicious style that is against most school's employee codes at worst and is a minimal improvement quick fix at best.

I agree he was a disaster but the game had long passed his dad by as well...so it was less suprising that all he got was one vicious rant where his team won to spite him...then back to losing and ranting.

PostPosted: 11/26/14 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

She graduated from high school in 1980, according to Wikipedia (which is never wrong), so that would make her 52 or maybe 53 if she graduated at 18, but certainly over 50 even if she graduated a bit young.

She is 52, according to a pipl.com search.

loneycafe

PostPosted: 11/26/14 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kenny Brooks. Solid program he's got at JMU.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: