RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Univeristy of Southern California

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SueFavor

PostPosted: 11/25/14 7:34 pm    ::: Univeristy of Southern California Reply Reply with quote

Roster is now down to 11 after two more players lost:

http://www.fullcourt.com/ncaa/25155/usc-loses-two-bringing-roster-11-players

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/25/14 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, what was that freshman Butler promised or what unrealistic expectations did she have? Two weeks in and she's quitting due to lack of playing time?

dtrain34

PostPosted: 11/25/14 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happens all the time on the men's side. It's that 12-month sit out rule. They want to get out of where they quickly decide they aren't happy. If they suck it up and finish the season they have to redshirt all next year. Quit now and you can play next December.

Not saying it's how it should be, just what some do.

Also football QBs who see a player there class or younger get the starting nod in summer camp are prone to transfer rather than burn a year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/26/14 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is not good news for Cynthia Cooper ... losing three players could be coincidence, but it seems more like a trend.

PostPosted: 11/26/14 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC has lost

Deanna Calhoun - transfer to Hawaii(which somehow fell through, not on UH roster)
Ariya Crook - Dismissed from team
Destinie Gibbs - will red shirt and transfer
Chyanne Butler - no playtime?

Thats more than 25% of the expected roster of 15 for the current year.

When a recruit looks at, and eventually commits and signs a LOI, besides their love for a school, the location or the coaches, dont they look or project where they will fit into the line up?

On USC, they still have Brianna Barratt and Jodan Adams as pg guards for two more years. Both are experienced and better than Butler, IMO. They also would have had Crook for her senior year, had she not been dismissed, and Jaco as a sophomore shooting guard, who has also spelled the other pg's last year. When did Butler figure to get a lot of play time, her junior year?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/26/14 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
USC has lost

Deanna Calhoun - transfer to Hawaii(which somehow fell through, not on UH roster)
Ariya Crook - Dismissed from team
Destinie Gibbs - will red shirt and transfer
Chyanne Butler - no playtime?

Thats more than 25% of the expected roster of 15 for the current year.

When a recruit looks at, and eventually commits and signs a LOI, besides their love for a school, the location or the coaches, dont they look or project where they will fit into the line up?

On USC, they still have Brianna Barratt and Jodan Adams as pg guards for two more years. Both are experienced and better than Butler, IMO. They also would have had Crook for her senior year, had she not been dismissed, and Jaco as a sophomore shooting guard, who has also spelled the other pg's last year. When did Butler figure to get a lot of play time, her junior year?

Some kids (and parents) are simply delusional about their place in the sports world. They think they are going to be the star from day 1.

I recall a wide receiver recruit a few years ago at Notre Dame who was upset he wasn't named the starter for his very first game (he wasn't even on the two deep, in fact he wasn't even close). So his dad demanded to the ND coaches that he not be played on special teams or as a reserve that week so as not to use a year of eligibility. A week or so later he transferred to Northwestern. He sat out his year, but the next year barely played at Northwestern and transferred again to Central Michigan IIRC, where he also didn't start. So this is a kid who couldn't get on the field at any of three schools, but threw away an oportunity for a free Notre Dame or Northwestern degree over some delusion that he was going to play in the NFL. Not many people get one, much less two, chances like that.

And in that situation, and often, it was dad (or mom) who was a big, if not the biggest, part of the problem.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/26/14 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of teams manage pretty well with 11 players. Some start the year with that many. Just saying.

PostPosted: 11/26/14 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Some kids (and parents) are simply delusional about their place in the sports world. They think they are going to be the star from day 1.

This is so true. It's hard on athletes and their parents when they are used to being THE star all the way through school to transition to a reality where they may not be even top eight on their college team. It happens of course in all aspects of life but sometimes in athletics it's just more apparent. I'm just thinking about attending Stanford where you go from being the top student in your class and suddenly you are surrounded by people who were ALL top students in their classes. It happens in business too. But at whatever level, it's always an adjustment to discover you aren't quite THE star you thought you were.

I also wonder sometimes about kids who commit to schools that are already loaded at their position. If they really want to play right away then why not find a school that's weaker at their position? Just makes sense.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/26/14 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

This is so true. It's hard on athletes and their parents when they are used to being THE star all the way through school to transition to a reality where they may not be even top eight on their college team. It happens of course in all aspects of life but sometimes in athletics it's just more apparent. I'm just thinking about attending Stanford where you go from being the top student in your class and suddenly you are surrounded by people who were ALL top students in their classes. It happens in business too. But at whatever level, it's always an adjustment to discover you aren't quite THE star you thought you were.

I also wonder sometimes about kids who commit to schools that are already loaded at their position. If they really want to play right away then why not find a school that's weaker at their position? Just makes sense.

I don't really have a problem that a kid like a Durr or Wilson or Turner or Atkins has confidence they can come in and play regardless of the existing lineup because they probably can. Indeed, they probably want to play surrounded by a bunch of other great players. But there are very very few of those players. The problem is all the players (or parents) who think they're as good as Durr or Wilson and aren't even close. The problem is those who are legends only in their own minds.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/26/14 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I don't really have a problem that a kid like a Durr or Wilson or Turner or Atkins has confidence they can come in and play regardless of the existing lineup because they probably can. Indeed, they probably want to play surrounded by a bunch of other great players. But there are very very few of those players. The problem is all the players (or parents) who think they're as good as Durr or Wilson and aren't even close. The problem is those who are legends only in their own minds.

For some players, I suspect that playing in high school and even AAU is kind of boring after a while, so the challenge of playing with peers or near-peers is much more interesting. I think that happens in a lot of contexts with certain kinds of people - for them, it's just more enjoyable as a lawyer or computer programmer or whatever to deal with people who are as good as you are. (I know that in my work, I'd rather deal with people on the other side who are good, if for no other reason than that you skip past the stupid stuff instead of having to deal with it.)

I wouldn't be surprised to find, as an aside, that the players most likely to be delusional are the ones who *don't* find high school or AAU play boring, but who revel in their superiority over other players.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 11/27/14 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

For some players, I suspect that playing in high school and even AAU is kind of boring after a while, so the challenge of playing with peers or near-peers is much more interesting. I think that happens in a lot of contexts with certain kinds of people - for them, it's just more enjoyable as a lawyer or computer programmer or whatever to deal with people who are as good as you are. (I know that in my work, I'd rather deal with people on the other side who are good, if for no other reason than that you skip past the stupid stuff instead of having to deal with it.)

I wouldn't be surprised to find, as an aside, that the players most likely to be delusional are the ones who *don't* find high school or AAU play boring, but who revel in their superiority over other players.

Thinking it's more than just playing time with this kid. It's only 4 games into the season. Seems like after the second game against Davidson (30+ blowout) where she logged 10 minutes, she was done. She isn't listed as having played against Long Beach State or Fresno State a couple nights ago. She's saying it's lack of playing time but most freshmen don't bail after three or four games. Could it be she and coach Cooper-Dyke didn't get along well? Just seems odd that it would be lack of playing time as the real reason.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 11/27/14 4:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Thinking it's more than just playing time with this kid. It's only 4 games into the season. Seems like after the second game against Davidson (30+ blowout) where she logged 10 minutes, she was done. She isn't listed as having played against Long Beach State or Fresno State a couple nights ago. She's saying it's lack of playing time but most freshmen don't bail after three or four games. Could it be she and coach Cooper-Dyke didn't get along well? Just seems odd that it would be lack of playing time as the real reason.

https://twitter.com/SBProspects/status/537821739233705985[/url]

WayneBearCal

PostPosted: 11/27/14 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
USC has lost

Deanna Calhoun - transfer to Hawaii(which somehow fell through, not on UH roster) ...

I replied to you at BearInsider that the Hawaii board reported that a possible adminstrative or admissions snafu caused her enrollment to fall thru. Calhoun supposedly enrolled at Eastern Washington instead but she is not on their roster (yet). If you have a Scout id, here's the Hawaii thread:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=219&f=1136&t=13294778

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: