RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New AP Poll is out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:24 pm    ::: New AP Poll is out Reply Reply with quote

As usual, the voters stubbornly cling to what they believed would be the situation in October before any games were played.

1. S.Car
2. ND
3. UConn
4. Tenn
5. Stanford
6. Texas
7. Texas A&M
8. Duke
9. Kentucky
10. Maryland

So Texas remains behind the team it beat on the road, and behind the team that team beat, and Stanford remains behind UConn.

And Tenn? Well they have a right to be pissed off.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally found a link to the full poll:

http://www.foxsports.com/womens-college-basketball/story/the-womens-top-twenty-five-112414

Shades

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Tennessee has a right to be pissed off because they don't have to guts to play anybody good right away, and they're unbeaten. Makes sense.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
rizla

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Yeah, Tennessee has a right to be pissed off because they don't have to guts to play anybody good right away, and they're unbeaten. Makes sense.

No link to the poll?

No guts?

I'll tell you who is gut deficient - Baylor and North Carolina, who pulled out of their scheduled games.

Thus, the cupcakes.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:44 pm    ::: Re: New AP Poll is out Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So Texas remains behind the team it beat on the road, and behind the team that team beat, and Stanford remains behind UConn.

Texas hasn't beaten a top-3 team like UConn this year, like Stanford has, so I see nothing wrong.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

No link to the poll?

So beating 2 nobodies and losing to one somebody is somehow better at this stage than beating three nobodies? There's some twisted logic.

It's not enough to play a good team, you have to win. Otherwise UCLA should without question be the unanimous #1 team in the country today.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:50 pm    ::: Re: New AP Poll is out Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Texas hasn't beaten a top-3 team like UConn this year, like Stanford has, so I see nothing wrong.

Well, Texas WOULD have played a #1 team, except that they won the game against Stanford. Plus they DID defeat the #1 team according to the coaches. Thus your logic seems strained.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:57 pm    ::: Re: New AP Poll is out Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Well, Texas WOULD have played a #1 team, except that they won the game against Stanford. Plus they DID defeat the #1 team according to the coaches. Thus your logic seems strained.

Also conveniently absent from all that about how Texas hasn't beaten a top 3 team is any mention that UConn hasn't beaten a top 50 team. So what's their excuse with a 2-1 record for being ahead of Texas?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I find weird is that UCLA received 4 points in the poll, despite an 0-3 record where their closet margin of defeat was 10 points. I realize that they have played a brutal schedule, but do people really think their resume suggests they're worthy of being in the top 25? At some point, it seems a team needs to win, or at least lose a game by only single digits.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/24/14 12:59 pm    ::: Re: New AP Poll is out Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Also conveniently absent from all that about how Texas hasn't beaten a top 3 team is any mention that UConn hasn't beaten a top 50 team. So what's their excuse with a 2-1 record for being ahead of Texas?

They're the defending champions, preseason overwhelming favorites to win this year, and nobody else has proved to be undoubtedly better than them so far.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I find weird is that UCLA received 4 points in the poll, despite an 0-3 record where their closet margin of defeat was 10 points. I realize that they have played a brutal schedule, but do people really think their resume suggests they're worthy of being in the top 25? At some point, it seems a team needs to win, or at least lose a game by only single digits.

You're right. Winning matters.

So which is sillier, UCLA getting a 21st place vote, or UConn getting a 1st place vote? The latter is far more indefensible.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 1:09 pm    ::: Re: New AP Poll is out Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

They're the defending champions, preseason overwhelming favorites to win this year, and nobody else has proved to be undoubtedly better than them so far.

So they should remain #1 evidently, because a different UConn team made up of different players won the championship last year.

They lost. Deal with it.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 11/24/14 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas plays Tennessee Sunday in Austin. FOX Sports 1 is broadcasting the game.

Tennessee plays Stanford 12/20/14 in TN. SEC Network broadcasting.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/24/14 1:17 pm    ::: Re: New AP Poll is out Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

So they should remain #1 evidently, because a different UConn team made up of different players won the championship last year.

They lost. Deal with it.

You're the only one who is crying. UConn barely lost to the #5 team in the country; I don't see Tenneessee having played any top teams yet this season to prove they'd do better. UConn would've gone 3-0 playing Tenneessee's schedule so far as well.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/24/14 1:47 pm    ::: Re: New AP Poll is out Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

They lost. Deal with it.

You're the only one who is crying. UConn barely lost to the #5 team in the country; I don't see Tenneessee having played any top teams yet this season to prove they'd do better. UConn would've gone 3-0 playing Tenneessee's schedule so far as well.

Stop arguing with Art. This poster has completely lost sense of reality as he/she is more concerned with tearing down UCONN than anything else. Worry about Notre Dame. It's sad really.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 1:49 pm    ::: Re: New AP Poll is out Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

They lost. Deal with it.

Stop arguing with Art. This poster has completely lost sense of reality as he/she is more concerned with tearing down UCONN than anything else. Worry about Notre Dame. It's sad really.

You and Junkie want to ignore that UConn lost and I'M the one who has lost sense of reality? Rolling Eyes

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/24/14 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conferences with votes:

ACC - 8
B10 - 7
SEC - 7
B12 - 6
P12 - 6
AAC - 2
BEC - 2
CAA - 1
CUSA - 1
Horizon - 1
Sunbelt - 1
WCC - 1
Shades

PostPosted: 11/24/14 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

No link to the poll?

So beating 2 nobodies and losing to one somebody is somehow better at this stage than beating three nobodies? There's some twisted logic.

It's not enough to play a good team, you have to win. Otherwise UCLA should without question be the unanimous #1 team in the country today.

You must not be a big fan of RPI. Isn't that how it works, no guts no glory?

Minnesota is unbeaten and has had an arguably tougher schedule than TENN, so why isn't Minnesota ahead of Tennessee in the polls? It's because of the Tennesse name and where voters think they might end up at the end of the year. So the same thing you are delighted about with Tennessee you are so angry about with Connecticut.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

No link to the poll?

Minnesota is unbeaten and has had an arguably tougher schedule than TENN, so why isn't Minnesota ahead of Tennessee in the polls? It's because of the Tennesse name and where voters think they might end up at the end of the year. So the same thing you are delighted about with Tennessee you are so angry about with Connecticut.

The RPI doesn't care about name recognition, it's based on wins and losses -- yours, your opponents', and your opponents' opponents'. Losses matter in the RPI. As do losses by your opponent. UConn lost, and its opponent lost as well. Indeed, Texas gets dragged down in the RPI because one of its opponents, UCLA, is 0-3, but is helped by UCLA's opponents being undefeated.

There's a big difference between voters making choices among undefeated teams and voters largely ignoring that a team lost, indeed, leaving that team ahead both of the team it lost to, and ahead of the team that beat the team it lost to.

I don't care one way or the other about Tenn. But I do think Tenn fans have a right to be pissed off.

Losses matter. You can complain about Tenn's schedule, but you can't ignore losses.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/24/14 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

No link to the poll?

The RPI doesn't care about name recognition, it's based on wins and losses -- yours, your opponents', and your opponents' opponents'. Losses matter in the RPI. As do losses by your opponent. UConn lost, and its opponent lost as well. Indeed, Texas gets dragged down in the RPI because one of its opponents, UCLA, is 0-3, but is helped by UCLA's opponents being undefeated.

There's a big difference between voters making choices among undefeated teams and voters largely ignoring that a team lost, indeed, leaving that team ahead both of the team it lost to, and ahead of the team that beat the team it lost to.

I don't care one way or the other about Tenn. But I do think Tenn fans have a right to be pissed off.

Losses matter. You can complain about Tenn's schedule, but you can't ignore losses.

I guess where a team is ranked in the polls is more important to some fans of teams than winning in the NCAA Tournament. Razz

Shades

PostPosted: 11/24/14 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

No link to the poll?

I guess where a team is ranked in the polls is more important to some fans of teams than winning in the NCAA Tournament. Razz

I'm sure schools value their poll placements.... for recruiting, promoting, getting television time.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

No link to the poll?

I'm sure schools value their poll placements.... for recruiting, promoting, getting television time.

And since the tournament isn't for 5 more months, it would be pretty dead around here if we didn't discuss polls and the regular season.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/24/14 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't stand preseason polls...in any sport. Talk about something that is full of conjecture and not based on any actual results on the field/court. Those early polls, which aren't based on a damn thing other than tradition & the previous year & personal bias, are then basically a jumping off point for future polls. And for the most part, the voters will validate their selections regardless of what happens on the court...i.e., not moving teams as much as should probably occur.

Anyway, back to the debate at hand...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/14 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I can't stand preseason polls...in any sport. Talk about something that is full of conjecture and not based on any actual results on the field/court. Those early polls, which aren't based on a damn thing other than tradition & the previous year & personal bias, are then basically a jumping off point for future polls. And for the most part, the voters will validate their selections regardless of what happens on the court...i.e., not moving teams as much as should probably occur.

x____________________

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/24/14 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly agree that poll voters often react too slowly to events on the court, but at the same time I think it's reasonable not to give great weight to a single game because we all know that teams have good days and bad days, and certainly a superior team can have a bad day against a not-as-good team that's having a good day.

In this context, it's not crazy for the voters as a group to think that Stanford's win and loss don't mean either that the Cardinal are better than the Huskies or that they're worse than the Longhorns. As the sample size improves, that analysis will get tested, but leaving the Cardinal between the two teams is a good a way to reconcile the pre-season opinion with the game results as any.

Now, if you want something to fix, consider how teams in weak conferences that get into the rankings slowly move up just because they don't lose in conference play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: