RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCONN
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/18/14 1:50 pm    ::: UCONN Reply Reply with quote

So they looked vulnerable last night. Do they lose again this season? Analysis of team?

My thoughts are that
A) they have the best player in the country with Stewie...but even she clearly got discombobulated with the double teams last night. Surprising really but she needs to learn how to deal with those double/triple teams because they will be there all year. All the more because:

B) the rest of the team appear to be role players. And UConn is not used to having only one superstar. Pretty good role players but it means each has her own flaws:

C) we've analyzed KML to death - the sweetest shooter in the country but not much else; Chong is also great offensively but can't defend; Stokes can block shots but not much else; MoJeff (and I love MoJeff) can defend and distribute and against most teams her extreme speed gives her layups, but she's offensively challenged.

So on offense, they pretty much have three weapons, which means the other two defenders sag and help on those weapons. This brings them back into the fold of more 'normal' teams.

Will they lose again? Geno will have them motivated, but it's unclear if that's enough. Looking at their schedule, I'm guessing UND will give them a good run for their money but otherwise it will be smooth sailing. So Carolina has the weapons to do so as well, but it's unclear if they will get their guard act together.

Other thoughts?

- Amanda Gorman
insidewinder

PostPosted: 11/18/14 2:43 pm    ::: They lost a lot Reply Reply with quote

I don't think they are or will be as good as they were last year. They really, really, really miss Dolson, for a variety of reasons - defense, passing, screening, etc., not just scoring. I am surprised that Stanford out rebounding them. Stanford played one post (one of the Johnsons, who are both really forwards) most of the second half/overtime. Bonnie Samuelson was at the 4 I believe. And it worked. Does UConn have a better inside game than they showed against Stanford?

Karlie Samuelson was able to shut down Lewis, and if she can do it, other teams will be able to do the same. And if Lewis is not a big factor, maybe even shut down by one defender, that is a whole lot of pressure on Stewart.

UConn has a lot of talent but it seems not multiple superstars, like they are used to having. That brings them closer to the level of the other teams. I'm sure they will fix a lot of the issues they had against Stanford, but I see them as much more vulnerable this year than last.

Beemer

PostPosted: 11/18/14 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of my fellow UConn fans were ready to jump off of the nearest bridge last night but I wasn't one of them. I know we are spoiled by UConn's success and I think losing like this every so often is in fact a good thing.

Stanford is always very good and they are led by a very good coach. They were the better team last night. I'd rather lose to Stanford by 2 in OT than by some unranked opponent in regulation.

The Cardinal did expose the Huskies' weaknesses but it remains to be seen if other teams can do the same while the Huskies are working over time to fix their shortcomings at the same time. Starting today.

I don't envy Creighton....

PostPosted: 11/18/14 4:03 pm    ::: Re: UCONN Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So they looked vulnerable last night. Do they lose again this season? Analysis of team?

My thoughts are that
A) they have the best player in the country with Stewie...but even she clearly got discombobulated with the double teams last night. Surprising really but she needs to learn how to deal with those double/triple teams because they will be there all year. All the more because:

B) the rest of the team appear to be role players. And UConn is not used to having only one superstar. Pretty good role players but it means each has her own flaws:

C) we've analyzed KML to death - the sweetest shooter in the country but not much else; Chong is also great offensively but can't defend; Stokes can block shots but not much else; MoJeff (and I love MoJeff) can defend and distribute and against most teams her extreme speed gives her layups, but she's offensively challenged.

So on offense, they pretty much have three weapons, which means the other two defenders sag and help on those weapons. This brings them back into the fold of more 'normal' teams.

Will they lose again? Geno will have them motivated, but it's unclear if that's enough. Looking at their schedule, I'm guessing UND will give them a good run for their money but otherwise it will be smooth sailing. So Carolina has the weapons to do so as well, but it's unclear if they will get their guard act together.

Other thoughts?

Yes, Doris, UConn will lose again....maybe sooner than you want to believe.

UConn is no longer the shark in the tank that everybody fears. They are the prey. They have been bitten and there's blood in the water.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/18/14 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn is very good, but I don't think they're invincible. Stokes isn't Dolson and isn't likely to become her. Neither, I think, is Tuck. MoJeff and Stewart are excellent, but they can't do it by themselves. KML is streaky, Chong has no D. Nurse looks good but needs to rein herself in a bit, she seems a bit foul-prone. And of course the freshmen are freshmen and prone to doing freshman stuff, which usually means making mistakes, even at UConn. I think UConn will suffer from their conference, because playing a string of inferior teams doesn't do much to keep you sharp, even if it gives you a shiny record. Teams playing in tougher conferences are tested more often and may actually be better even if their records don't look as clean and shiny.

PostPosted: 11/18/14 4:59 pm    ::: Re: UCONN Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

My thoughts are that

Other thoughts?

Taking a page from UCONN's men team last year and applying it to Stanford, you can never overestimate the value of senior guards. It showed last night.

Stokes may be just the role player we thought, for Tuck it is too early to evaluated, agree with Chong. Nurse is developing so who knows in March what you will get.
Will the real KML stand up. KML was previously a very good off ball defender and could take a defender down low in the post and rebound as well as evidenced by her play in the tournament last year. She did reinforce the stereotype that she is just a stationary player last night, didn't she.

What Moriah will show up, the one we saw in the Baylor game who gave Sims fits and shot fearless from the perimeter or the offensively hesitant one who was so defensively out of position as to allow countless open threes including Orrange's, though it was a difficult shot. (Kudos to Amber).

Answer those and you can determine if or how many more games UCONN will lose.
Personally, I can't.

PostPosted: 11/18/14 6:20 pm    ::: Re: UCONN Reply Reply with quote

Kiah Stokes provides nothing. Can hardly believe how wide open they left her and she didn't look anywhere near the basket. Her defense may be above average, but not by much.

Morgan Tuck is a better all around player.

KML stunk it up.

Kia Nurse was the second most effective player.

The players weren't really moving "UConn style" out there. The ball wasn't being passed around smoothly, as evidenced by Stewie's THREE 3 sec calls. That happens when they haven't gotten the ball in when it's expected. When you're not moving the defense like they usually do, it's harder to get that gap for the pass in.

But I'm really aghast at the ease that Orrange and Thompson got into the paint and scored numerous times. That just never happens with a UConn team. And yet it did.

~rAf
Brinx

PostPosted: 11/18/14 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there is a 50/50 chance of them losing another game this season. They have some weaknesses that were exposed last night and their record will depend on how they react to that; will it motivate them, will a team leader emerge, will Stokes and KML move past a bad game, will the team bring more energy on D?

They play ND in 2 1/2 weeks, so that's not much time to get things worked out. I wouldn't want to be a UCONN player in practice or video session this week.

Things I noticed:

- They were indecisive about passing the ball into the post. When Stewie is posting up hard they need to get it to her quickly. On the flip side, Stewie needs to be mindful of how long she's in there.

- Stokes needs to be more aggressive. Post up hard, finish strong and go after rebounds.

- KML needs to look to score. There is going to be tough D all year long, she needs to be confident enough to create her own shot.

- Stewie needs to stay calm when the double and triple teams come.

- Everyone needs to work harder on D and help D needs to be there.

- Rebounding needs to improve. Dolson was tall and a huge body out there, this team will have to work harder to secure the rebounds.

stever

PostPosted: 11/18/14 6:52 pm    ::: It's time for certain Huskies to step up and lead Reply Reply with quote

http://www.thehour.com/sports/john-nash-column-it-s-time-for-certain-huskies-to/article_7f52574c-77d1-5cd4-8321-d43478888342.html

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/18/14 7:26 pm    ::: Re: It's time for certain Huskies to step up and lead Reply Reply with quote

I think it was Pilight who asked the question: Why would the losses of Dolson and Bria Hartley not affect the team?

Shades

PostPosted: 11/18/14 7:59 pm    ::: Re: It's time for certain Huskies to step up and lead Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.thehour.com/sports/john-nash-column-it-s-time-for-certain-huskies-to/article_7f52574c-77d1-5cd4-8321-d43478888342.html

Quote:
He builds his teams for March and April, not November.

That's why, come spring time, Auriemma and the Huskies will win their 10th NCAA championship.

And all of Husky Nation will have the Trees of Stanford U to thank for it. Especially the Orrange Trees

Laughing

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
barryi22

PostPosted: 11/18/14 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Brinx"]I think there is a 50/50 chance of them losing another game this season. They have some weaknesses that were exposed last night and their record will depend on how they react to that; will it motivate them, will a team leader emerge, will Stokes and KML move past a bad game, will the team bring more energy on D?

They play ND in 2 1/2 weeks, so that's not much time to get things worked out. I wouldn't want to be a UCONN player in practice or video session this week.

Things I noticed:

- They were indecisive about passing the ball into the post. When Stewie is posting up hard they need to get it to her quickly. On the flip side, Stewie needs to be mindful of how long she's in there.

- Stokes needs to be more aggressive. Post up hard, finish strong and go after rebounds.

- KML needs to look to score. There is going to be tough D all year long, she needs to be confident enough to create her own shot.

- Stewie needs to stay calm when the double and triple teams come.

- Everyone needs to work harder on D and help D needs to be there.

- Rebounding needs to improve. Dolson was tall and a huge body out there, this team will have to work harder to secure the rebounds.[/quote]

The Notre Dame game looms large for Connecticut. Stanford was able to penetrate the lane at will and had solid ball movement and perimeter shooters. Notre Dame is a similarly built team, except they have better players and athletes than Stanford. Allen and Loyd do a great job of getting into the lane, Mabrey is a great shooter from deep, Reimer is a physical post who will help body up Stewart, and Turner is extremely dynamic and will be a match up nightmare. Notre Dame will be out for blood after the last two meetings. If UCONN doesn't pick up their defense, it could be loss #2 for UCONN.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/18/14 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Will they lose again?

Oh, Myrtle....I just know you're a TN-fan-in-Cardinal-Clothing, trolling this way! Razz Laughing

For real, tho....it's almost the first thing I thought of when Stanford made their first half comeback: I'm thinkng, "This UConn is VERY vulnerable!". And honestly, I expected them to still pull the win out last night. But it was obvious, unless Geno was gonna pull out some key new player or unseen strategy to make a difference....this UConn is NOT the same one from last year.

And I'm thinking this because, frankly, Stanford didn't look all that hot, either, and UConn still couldn't create any real separation, at will, like they used to. Ya, I liked Stanford's *new look*, but they weren't exactly executing to perfection. I can still see Stanford losing 2 or 3 in the Pac 12 alone, never mind OOC. (TX, TN, UNC?)

The very NEXT, nearly instantaneous thought was: "Who's gonna fill that void?" And that was actually exciting, to have SOMETHING NEW to look forward to....a real power struggle amongst the top 10 (or so) teams. NOTHING better for *our* sport. Cool

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Kiah Stokes provides nothing. Can hardly believe how wide open they left her and she didn't look anywhere near the basket. Her defense may be above average, but not by much.

rAf, certainly you missed Doris Dearest's analysis of Stokes: (and I paraphrase) "If Kia can get her shot down, she'll be great in the wnba! Razz)

PostPosted: 11/19/14 12:41 pm    ::: Re: UCONN Reply Reply with quote

[quote="readyAIMfire53"]Kiah Stokes provides nothing. Can hardly believe how wide open they left her and she didn't look anywhere near the basket. Her defense may be above average, but not by much.

Morgan Tuck is a better all around player.

KML stunk it up.

Kia Nurse was the second most effective player.

The players weren't really moving "UConn style" out there. The ball wasn't being passed around smoothly, as evidenced by Stewie's THREE 3 sec calls. That happens when they haven't gotten the ball in when it's expected. When you're not moving the defense like they usually do, it's harder to get that gap for the pass in.

But I'm really aghast at the ease that Orrange and Thompson got into the paint and scored numerous times. That just never happens with a UConn team. And yet it did.[/quote]

They got into the paint as the help D were out on the Samuelsons.

The game not only showed the weaknesses of Kiah at the high post but also who else is not a threat offensively. Give K Samuelson her due, she seemed to know Uconns offense better than some of their own players.

The game also showed how to defend Stanford. Their 2 guards don't like to pass as there were very few assists. They are both small. No need to get up on them, back off a little with a hand up and force them into shoot jumpers.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/19/14 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They "weren't really moving "UConn style" out there" in large part because they lost Dolson as a distributor from the post, and with that lost their inside-out game. Among other things, that game is largely what freed up Lewis for wide open 3s. Ball went inside to Dolson, defense collapsed on the ball, ball ended up getting kicked outside and first or second pass ended up with Lewis in the corner for a wide open three. She's deadly when left alone (see Cal Davis which collapsed and left her wide open all game); has always been far less effective with a hand in her face.

But there is no one to fill that post role. Stokes is not a terribly effective distributor, and Stewart is a forward who, when she gets the ball in the paint, is primarily looking for her own shot, not to kick it outside. Dolson got a ton of assists from the high post; Stokes and Tuck combined for TWO assists in 45 minutes of play while Stewart had 3. The loss of Dolson is not only going to reduce scoring inside, it's likely to also reduce the wide open opportunities for Lewis.

If that game is representative of this year's team (which we don't know yet) it looks like this year's team may become even more perimeter oriented.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 11/19/14 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 11/19/14 1:34 pm    ::: Re: UCONN Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

The game also showed how to defend Stanford. Their 2 guards don't like to pass as there were very few assists. They are both small. No need to get up on them, back off a little with a hand up and force them into shoot jumpers.

Sag off of Thompson and Orrange? Good luck to any coach with that plan. I bet UCONN would LOVE to have had a defender a little bit closer to Orrange with time expiring in regulation. And Thompson is a 42% 3-pt shooter who loves to sink mid-range jumpers.

Also, you're incorrect about Stanford's guards. Amber Orrange is absolutely a pass-first point guard. Anybody who watched Stanford any of the past 3 seasons would know that. The difference this season is that now she and Thompson are Stanford's best options, so of course she's going to shoot more often. She's currently shooting 57% from the field, so it's really not a bad strategy. But you'll see a lot more assists from her as the younger players improve and become more ready to receive her passes.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/19/14 1:46 pm    ::: Totally disagree Reply Reply with quote

I have watched Wink

Orrange has always over dribbled and not passed early enough, she also dribbled toward the player she is passing to and takes her defender into their space, as does Thompson. If you watch the game they dribble so much I think Uconn looks dizzy. They had people open on the weak side but they can't make the pass. Orrange is also very left handed and Hartley would keep her on her right hand and frustrate her but Uconn seemed to forget that last night. None of their shots were challenged from the outside, even the 3 by Orrange as the defense were flying out at Samuelson but she read the defense perfectly and passed to a wide open Orrange.

The key is to give them a few feet as they hesitate and look to drive NOT pass and cut off their path, getting up too close was the problem. Last year the teams that sent a double created havoc for both of them as they are NOT pass first players.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/19/14 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, having watched the 2nd half and OT a couple more times, I'm stil a little surprised by the 5 second call.

I thought the long pass to Jefferson was available the entire time. No idea why Lewis didn't take it. Chong buried herself in the corner defended, like her feet were in cement, completely useless. Stokes was waiving for the ball but was actually in the middle of two at first and then three defenders; a pass to her was a turnover waiting to happen. And Stewart had no position at all inside but just kept leaning into the defender and waited far too long to break away for a deeper pass over the top. Lewis didn't get much help from her teammates. The only real opportunity was the lob towards midcourt for Jefferson who was the only one even moving. Not sure why Lewis didn't take that, but the 5 second call wasn't entirely her fault.

Of course Stanford promptly gave the ball right back by passing it out of bounds.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/19/14 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that game will have some of the heaviest tape rewinds/perusals of any game this year...by both teams plus all teams who will be meeting them, plus the officials meetings plus the pro scouts. Lots of woulda, coulda, shouldas from all sides. But it sure makes the season more interesting.

- Amanda Gorman
RP

PostPosted: 11/19/14 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps she became too comfortable camping out at the 3-point line after hitting 10 3s against UC Davis, but whatever the reason that was an unusual performance from KML.

For comparison, in UConn's last four tournament games, against BYU, Texas A&M, Stanford and Notre Dame, she scored 15 to 19 points every game while only making seven of 23 3-point attempts and averaged eight rebounds and 2.5 assists.

Clearly, she is capable of a lot more, at least at this level.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/19/14 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Perhaps she became too comfortable camping out at the 3-point line after hitting 10 3s against UC Davis, but whatever the reason that was an unusual performance from KML.

For comparison, in UConn's last four tournament games, against BYU, Texas A&M, Stanford and Notre Dame, she scored 15 to 19 points every game while only making seven of 23 3-point attempts and averaged eight rebounds and 2.5 assists.

She scored 12 on Monday too. It's not like she was held scoreless.

RP

PostPosted: 11/19/14 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
RP wrote:

I'm unsure of your point. 12 points, 1-of-6 2-pointers made, six rebounds and only one assist in 45 minutes is substantially less than what she usually provides.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/19/14 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
RP wrote:

I'm unsure of your point. 12 points, 1-of-6 2-pointers made, six rebounds and only one assist in 45 minutes is substantially less than what she usually provides.

My point was that 12 pts wasn't that many fewer than 15 you mentioned, and if she made a total of seven 3s in four games, that's an average of slightly fewer than the 2 she made Monday. I don't think Monday was all that different than the average of the four tournament games you presented.

There's always been a big difference in her performance when she's being defended at all. In the UC Davis game, it was equivalent to shooting 3s in an empty gym after practice - they packed the paint with an ineffective zone and consistently left her completely unguarded.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 11/19/14 6:38 pm    ::: Re: UCONN Reply Reply with quote

But I'm really aghast at the ease that Orrange and Thompson got into the paint and scored numerous times. That just never happens with a UConn team. And yet it did.[/quote]

That's the sound of the hammer hitting the nail on the head. It was the most disturbing part of the loss for a long-time UCONN fan. (And pointed out by a knowledgable Duke fan.)

Howee

PostPosted: 11/19/14 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
that game will have some of the heaviest tape rewinds/perusals of any game this year...by both teams....

One thing that floored me in a re-watch: the absolute idiocy of Karli Samuelson's action with 3 seconds left to play (you can see it on ESPN's highlight clip). The inbounds pass goes to her, she's defended, anddd....she passes the ball back toward the basket!...with Breanna in the vicinity. NOT bright. Fortunately, she was fouled, but that could have been unforgiveable IFFF....

Sometimes it's tough (but necessary) to remember that these ARE still "kids", after all. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: