RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tomorrow's ESPN poll should be interesting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/17/14 11:39 pm    ::: Tomorrow's ESPN poll should be interesting Reply Reply with quote

Will Stanford jump over four other teams to #1? How far will UConn fall?

PostPosted: 11/17/14 11:48 pm    ::: Re: Tomorrow's ESPN poll should be interesting Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I predict UConn will go to #3 and Stanford #4.

- Amanda Gorman
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/17/14 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd say Stanford should be no 1 or no. 2. I'm an impossible homer though.

Who else can say that they've beaten the defending champs?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/17/14 11:55 pm    ::: Re: Tomorrow's ESPN poll should be interesting Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

Id really wish they could hop to #1 because i still havent seen anything in SC or TENN that shows theyre the best in the country. "Yet'

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:00 am    ::: Re: Tomorrow's ESPN poll should be interesting Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

Does South Carolina move up after their narrow victory over Southern Cal at home in Columbia.

Or does Notre Dame jump over and bring #1 to South Bend.

Looks like a seriously FUN season!!

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:01 am    ::: Re: Tomorrow's ESPN poll should be interesting Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

ESPN has a poll? Since when?

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd rather have Notre Dame be no. 1 than South Carolina...

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking even though they haven't played any real competition at least both Tenn and Notre Dame won convincingly against poodunks so I'm thinking maybe
1. ND
2. Tenn
3. UConn
4. Stanford
5. South Carolina

and I'm sure that will change over the season. As soon as everybody has one loss, UConn will be #1 again, and probably deservedly so.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Honestly, I'd say Stanford should be no 1 or no. 2. I'm an impossible homer though.

Who else can say that they've beaten the defending champs?

Stanford beat Baylor in Hawaii too.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd keep UConn at #1. They barely lost on the road to another top ranked team, so home-court advantage probably was the deciding factor. I go #1 UConn #2 Notre Dame #3 Stanford #4 South Carolina

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many of the voters sent in their ballots before the game? (It is the coaches poll, after all, famous for having SIDs actually do the voting.)

I'd say the most likely result is 1. South Carolina 2. UConn 3. Notre Dame 4. Stanford, but honestly I won't be surprised if the Huskies drop to 3 or if somehow Notre Dame moves up to 1, or both.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
I'd keep UConn at #1. They barely lost on the road to another top ranked team, so home-court advantage probably was the deciding factor. I go #1 UConn #2 Notre Dame #3 Stanford #4 South Carolina

You've got to drop the #1 team down after a loss this early in the season.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I was thinking even though they haven't played any real competition at least both Tenn and Notre Dame won convincingly against poodunks so I'm thinking maybe
1. ND
2. Tenn
3. UConn
4. Stanford
5. South Carolina

and I'm sure that will change over the season. As soon as everybody has one loss, UConn will be #1 again, and probably deservedly so.

The preseason standings are fairly random (other than giving the defending champs #1), so why penalize Stanford for being rated #6. Why not honor the head-to-head this early in the season and put Stanford ahead of UConn?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
How many of the voters sent in their ballots before the game? (It is the coaches poll, after all, famous for having SIDs actually do the voting.)

I'd say the most likely result is 1. South Carolina 2. UConn 3. Notre Dame 4. Stanford, but honestly I won't be surprised if the Huskies drop to 3 or if somehow Notre Dame moves up to 1, or both.

So because Tennessee took care of business without lord knows how many players uconns L effects the lady vols moving down the polls? Laughing

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

There is zero possibility of that occurring.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

When are ballots due? I expect most votes were already in and this may not be reflected until next week.

I think if ND beats Mich St, it may jump SCar in next week's polls. Would be a better win than anything SCar has and they are only 23 pts apart in the AP poll.

I will be VERY interested to see if UConn falls behind Stanford. Probably should but I'm betting it won't.

Tenn fans will be collosally pissed off if UConn is ranked 3rd next wek.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

So because Tennessee took care of business without lord knows how many players uconns L effects the lady vols moving down the polls? Laughing

Yes. Let's be honest - Stanford gets extra bonus points for breaking the 40-game win streak and taking down the defending national champion.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a South Carolina fan , I have no desire to be ranked #1 in November . Maybe if we had played better in the first game , but we played like crap . I'm not sure we were even a top ten team vs Southern Cal . I would vote for Stanford .

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
1. ND
2. Tenn
3. UConn
4. Stanford
5. South Carolina

The preseason standings are fairly random (other than giving the defending champs #1), so why penalize Stanford for being rated #6. Why not honor the head-to-head this early in the season and put Stanford ahead of UConn?

What I would do and what the voters will do are not the same. I was just giving a guess as to what they will do.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
1. ND
2. Tenn
3. UConn
4. Stanford
5. South Carolina

What I would do and what the voters will do are not the same. I was just giving a guess as to what they will do.

Would you put Stanford ahead of UConn?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

yes. not because I think they are a better team but just because they won this game they deserve to be ahead... and I'm a homer. But I won't be outraged that UConn is still ranked ahead of them. [shrug]

what happens at the end of the year is more important than what happens now.

- Amanda Gorman
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMHO, I believe SC will be one, ND, 2, Vols, 3, Stanford, 4 and UCONN, 5 or out of fairness that what is should be.

PostPosted: 11/18/14 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

yes. not because I think they are a better team but just because they won this game they deserve to be ahead... and I'm a homer. But I won't be outraged that UConn is still ranked ahead of them. [shrug]

what happens at the end of the year is more important than what happens now.

Agree, but right now the Cardinals deserves to be ranked higher.

PostPosted: 11/18/14 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
JMHO, I believe SC will be one, ND, 2, Vols, 3, Stanford, 4 and UCONN, 5 or out of fairness that what is should be.

I agree with that, although it will not surprise me at all if UConn is 3.

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/18/14 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK! Out of all those teams mentioned which one has the most impressive win to date. Most preseason are somewhat arbitrary right. So when do the rankings start to reflect actual wins? Mostly everyone's preseason pick was Uconn and most believed they were in a class by themselves and might even finish undefeated. So because Stanford beats them does that mean that Uconn was over rated or was Stanford underrated? The same could hold true for every other team ranked highly in the polls. The only logical solution is to actually start going by strength of wins and that should put the Stanford in the lead presently. If that will actually happen is another story but to me that seems to be the most logical.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: