RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/15 4:34 am    ::: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley lost the Final Four semifinal game against Notre Dame by one point.

Dawn Staley does not start her second and third best scorers nor her top two rebounders: Wilson and Coates.

Dawn Staley lost the first five minutes of the first half of the Notre game game by 12 points and, though she started Coates in the second half, she also lost the first five minutes that half by four points. Those initial 10 minutes of the two halves put Cocky Dawn in a 16 point hole.

The Gamecocks also didn't score well in the initial 5+5 minutes against North Carolina and FSU.

I have never understood the philosophy of not starting the best scoring lineup, other than the pure arrogance of a dominant team. Getting ahead in the first five minutes is a big advantage for game flow dynamics, momentum, and psychological advantage.

Dawn Staley paid the price for her lineup choices. And also for her lack of free throw accuracy.
ewecon

PostPosted: 04/06/15 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While Staley's handling of Wilson and Coates has puzzled me all season, this game was lost at the line. SC is ranked 198th in the country in free throw percentage at 67.9%..... that will come back to bite you in close games, and it did.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/06/15 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps it was a mistake, but coaches have varying reasons for not starting top players. CVS used to keep Matee Ajavon on the bench at the beginning of games so Ajavon could see how the other team was playing before coming in, as a way of forcing Ajavon to observe and prepare. (She stopped doing that when Ajavon got more mature.)

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/06/15 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Perhaps it was a mistake, but coaches have varying reasons for not starting top players. CVS used to keep Matee Ajavon on the bench at the beginning of games so Ajavon could see how the other team was playing before coming in, as a way of forcing Ajavon to observe and prepare. (She stopped doing that when Ajavon got more mature.)

Which could very well be Staley's reason for not starting Wilson and Coates this year. I am guessing she does next year. I trust her judgment on HER players far more than some sideline observer's.

PostPosted: 04/06/15 9:57 am    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Dawn Staley paid the price for her lineup choices. And also for her lack of free throw accuracy.

Funny, I didn't notice Dawn at the line. Nor did I notice her not screening out Madison Cable.

This Dick Vitale-fostered belief that coaches control the game and should take credit and blame for everything is simply wrongheaded. Some players shoot free throws better than others, but sometimes the poorer free-throw shooter is the overall better player. So you play the better player ...

Now, this is not to say that coaches don't have an impact on the outcome, but Staley's lack of free-throw accuracy (she was an 83.4% shooter in her WNBA career) was not the problem.

And it's like the layup discussion on another thread: You can't teach/practice someone into being better than they themselves can be. DeAndre Jordan shoots below 40% from the free-throw line -- do you think he and his coaches have worked on his form and mental approach? Or do they just shrug their shoulders and move on?

Different people have different talents, and different mental and physical challenges to overcome. Coaches don't control everything, or really, even a lot of things.

PostPosted: 04/06/15 11:09 am    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Funny, I didn't notice Dawn at the line. Nor did I notice her not screening out Madison Cable.

This Dick Vitale-fostered belief that coaches control the game and should take credit and blame for everything is simply wrongheaded. Some players shoot free throws better than others, but sometimes the poorer free-throw shooter is the overall better player. So you play the better player ...

Now, this is not to say that coaches don't have an impact on the outcome, but Staley's lack of free-throw accuracy (she was an 83.4% shooter in her WNBA career) was not the problem.

And it's like the layup discussion on another thread: You can't teach/practice someone into being better than they themselves can be. DeAndre Jordan shoots below 40% from the free-throw line -- do you think he and his coaches have worked on his form and mental approach? Or do they just shrug their shoulders and move on?

Different people have different talents, and different mental and physical challenges to overcome. Coaches don't control everything, or really, even a lot of things.

Although perhaps the most fundamental decision for a coach is which players to put on the court, which was the focus of the original post. For example I give McGraw credit for replacing Mabrey with Huffman for the final 19 seconds. That may have been a game wining decision by the coach.

That SCar missed a bunch of free throws doesn't eliminate from discussion Staley's lineup decisions.

I thought it was curious last night that Staley gave Wilson and Coates credit as starters by having them announced but then didn't start them. Seemed odd. I think perhaps she told ESPN they weren't starting because they introduced 5 players per team but actually entitled it "Meet the Players" rather than "starting lineups". I don't know who they introduced at the arena because ESPN didn't show the introductions.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/06/15 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of lineup decisions, anyone surprised that after Ibiam went out 4 minutes into the game when she picked up her 2nd foul she never played again?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/06/15 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

kool-aide

PostPosted: 04/06/15 12:33 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I have never understood the philosophy of not starting the best scoring lineup, other than the pure arrogance of a dominant team.

I object to you attributing Staley's starting line up to her arrogance.

There are many reasons beyond what you describe as "arrogance" to have a high scoring player come off the bench. There's the "bring energy & scoring spark off the bench" reason. There's the "freshman hasn't shown appropriate maturity & prep in practice" reason. There's the 'gives young player time to see what the other team is doing reason" (beknighted mentions CVS not starting Ajavon as an example). And so forth.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/06/15 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roy Williams had some years in which he didn't play the five best players until he was "forced" to replace the player who shouldn't have been a starter because of an injury or a losing streak. This player was supposedly either the team's best defensive player or he was a good practice. My theory for Roy and Dawn starting these players is that they were loyal to some upperclassmen to a fault. I think Dawn would've been called out for notstarting Coates and Wilson if SC would've lost more games than they did.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/15 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arrogance is a pretty strong word, and hard to objectively quantify. I would hesitate to call anyone arrogant without pretty strong evidence.

But Staley's starting lineups have been puzzling considering they have consistently dug themselves into a hole to start games. To me, bringing Wilson off the bench is not a problem - she's a Freshman and not always consistent and maybe it helps her settle to start on the bench... but starting Ibiam over Coates seems like pure madness. And while I wouldn't start Cuevas, I'd sure as heck get her off the bench in a hurry when the offense looked as stagnant as it did in those first few minutes of the halves. She's a pistol and you don't know which way she will go off but I think you have to live with the mistakes when you don't have anyone else willing to make the engine run.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/15 1:15 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Funny, I didn't notice Dawn at the line.

Funny, that wasn't the subject of my OP nor, obviously, was it a literal comment.

A coach's primary game responsibility is to choose the lineup, the substitution patterns, and to teach those lineups team offense and defense. I have a hard time believing that many coaches in WCBB would start Ibiam and Dozier, who combined for ZERO points and ONE rebound in the national semifinal game, over Coates and Wilson, who combined for 32 points and 18 rebounds.

Nor was this an isolated game incident. Ibiam-Dozier combined for 10.1 ppg and 4.7 rpg over the season, while Coates-Wilson combined for 24.2 ppg and 14.5 rpg.

If you want to start the first half of competitive games against strong teams in a scoring hole, the probability is far higher that that will happen by starting the weak shooting and weak rebounding Ibiam-Dozier over the much stronger Coates-Wilson. That's particularly likely when a third starter, Sessions, is also a weak scorer. Starting and practicing with a weaker offensive first string lineup may not matter against OOC and SEC tomato cans, but it does against fast-paced opponents with explosive offenses.

That absence of starting lineup scoring punch in the opening of halves is what happened against Notre Dame -- especially when it was the Irish bigs, Turner and Reimer, were hurting the Gamecocks early -- and that's the primary reason why SoCar lost the game, in my opinion. Not the poor free throw shooting, which was a secondary reason.

Staley has been questioned and criticized all season by a variety of commentators and observers for starting a lineup with mediocre offensive power. She deserved that criticism. And she finally dug an impossible hole for her team with that mediocre scoring starting lineup. Staley deserved the Notre Dame loss, and was lucky she didn't get that loss earlier against UNC or FSU, again due to weak offensive game flow.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/06/15 1:28 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Funny, I didn't notice Dawn at the line.

Funny, that wasn't the subject of my OP nor, obviously, was it a literal comment.

A coach's primary game responsibility is to choose the lineup, the substitution patterns, and to teach those lineups team offense and defense. I have a hard time believing that many coaches in WCBB would start Ibiam and Dozier, who combined for ZERO points and ONE rebound in the national semifinal game, over Coates and Wilson, who combined for 32 points and 18 rebounds.

Nor was this an isolated game incident. Ibiam-Dozier combined for 10.1 ppg and 4.7 rpg over the season, while Coates-Wilson combined for 24.2 ppg and 14.5 rpg.

If you want to start the first half of competitive games against strong teams in a scoring hole, the probability is far higher that that will happen by starting the weak shooting and weak rebounding Ibiam-Dozier over the much stronger Coates-Wilson. That's particularly likely when a third starter, Sessions, is also a weak scorer. Starting and practicing with a weaker offensive first string lineup may not matter against OOC and SEC tomato cans, but it does against fast-paced opponents with explosive offenses.

That absence of starting lineup scoring punch in the opening of halves is what happened against Notre Dame -- especially when it was the Irish bigs, Turner and Reimer, were hurting the Gamecocks early -- and that's the primary reason why SoCar lost the game, in my opinion. Not the poor free throw shooting, which was a secondary reason.

Staley has been questioned and criticized all season by a variety of commentators and observers for starting a lineup with mediocre offensive power. She deserved that criticism. And she finally dug an impossible hole for her team with that mediocre scoring starting lineup. Staley deserved the Notre Dame loss, and was lucky she didn't get that loss earlier against UNC or FSU, again due to weak offensive game flow.

Ibaim came out after 4 minutes, and never went back in. If she wasn't valuable enough to play the last 36 minutes it does seem to be a fair question of why she was valuable enough to start.

PostPosted: 04/06/15 1:59 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Dawn Staley does not start her second and third best scorers nor her top two rebounders: Wilson and Coates.

Dawn Staley lost the first five minutes of the first half of the Notre game game by 12 points and, though she started Coates in the second half, she also lost the first five minutes that half by four points. Those initial 10 minutes of the two halves put Cocky Dawn in a 16 point hole.

The Gamecocks also didn't score well in the initial 5+5 minutes against North Carolina and FSU.

I have never understood the philosophy of not starting the best scoring lineup, other than the pure arrogance of a dominant team. Getting ahead in the first five minutes is a big advantage for game flow dynamics, momentum, and psychological advantage.

Cocky sin... hmmm - sounds about right Wink

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/15 2:42 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

22 wrote:

Cocky sin... hmmm - sounds about right Wink

Thanks for noticing. I try for word plays, rhetorical devices and obscure references probably more so than intelligent commentary -- but, at my age, usually shoot blanks at all targets.
bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/06/15 4:28 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

For you to call Dawn cocky and the team arrogant is way off base as neither are true. Dawn is not, nor has she ever been cocky! The team has not shown arrogance. They have just celebrated when they have won, just like most teams do. As far as her starting lineup, that is the way it has been since the start of the season and it has served them well enough to keep them a #1 for many weeks as well as helping them win the SEC Championship. It has always been said to do what got you there and that is exactly what they did,, why change it at the last minute. So they lost the FF game and would have lost the Championship game had they gotten there. Yes their poor free throw shooting caught up with them but in spite of that they still managed to only lose by 1 point. I would think you would have given them credit for what they did rather than coming on here and berating the coach and team by using such words as cocky and arrogant.

pwhite66

PostPosted: 04/06/15 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

An impossible hole? Wasn't South Carolina leading with less than 20 seconds to go?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/06/15 5:02 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

For you to call Dawn cocky and the team arrogant is way off base as neither are true. Dawn is not, nor has she ever been cocky! The team has not shown arrogance. They have just celebrated when they have won, just like most teams do. As far as her starting lineup, that is the way it has been since the start of the season and it has served them well enough to keep them a #1 for many weeks as well as helping them win the SEC Championship. It has always been said to do what got you there and that is exactly what they did,, why change it at the last minute. So they lost the FF game and would have lost the Championship game had they gotten there. Yes their poor free throw shooting caught up with them but in spite of that they still managed to only lose by 1 point. I would think you would have given them credit for what they did rather than coming on here and berating the coach and team by using such words as cocky and arrogant.

Almost as awful as throwing the word "rape" nonchalantly into a sentence. Not quite as bad, but going down the "in really poor taste" road.

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/15 5:37 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

For you to call Dawn cocky and the team arrogant is way off base as neither are true. Dawn is not, nor has she ever been cocky!

You are misinterpreting and overreacting to rhetorical words instead of analyzing basketball. The "Gamecocks" or "Cocks" is the nickname of the South Carolina team. "Cockytalk" is the name of the team's fan board. Therefore a "Cocky sin" (note the initial capital letter) is intended as a pun, which refers to a sin committed by the Gamecocks -- specifically by the coach.

The sin -- a rhetorical word -- was a foolish starting lineup all season. That's my opinion. To state a few individual cases of weaker players starting over stronger players -- such as by Roy Williams, Red Auerbach or Geno Auriemma -- over the vast 125 year sport of basketball is trivial and unconvincing. If any of those coaches had been coaching lousy teams -- such as Auerbach coaching the Syracuse Nationals instead of the Boston Celtics, or Auriemma coaching the University of Houston instead of Connecticut -- you can bet John Havlicek and Maya Moore would not have started on the bench.

These exceptions to the overwhelming practice of starting a team's strongest scoring lineup are all in the context of dominant teams, where the team can easily win most games no matter who is in the fifth or sixth spot in the lineup. If you don't like the word "arrogance" to describe such a situation, then consider it transformed into "overweening confidence". It doesn't change the basketball analysis for me.

Staley had confidence her team could win with an offensively-challenged starting lineup against most teams. She was right. She was wrong when it counted against Notre Dame. Had Coates and Wilson been in the starting lineup from the beginning, and had practiced more often as a starting unit, the Cocks would have been higher scoring team over the season with no detriment to their defense. That's my opinion, which could be wrong.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/15 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pwhite66 wrote:
Quote:

An impossible hole? Wasn't South Carolina leading with less than 20 seconds to go?

So you're focusing on an adjectival choice to rebut my basketball analysis? That's weak.

I'll revise the word "impossible" to "difficult" or "unnecessary". Does that make my analysis any different? Not to me.

My point is that, if Coates and Wilson had started, the Cocks would not have been in a 12 point hole after five minutes of the game. They game might have been even, or perhaps the Cocks could have had a 12 point advantage at that point instead of being in any hole.

Don't you think it's preferable to start a lineup that puts you ahead or at least keeps you even during the opening minutes of halves, rather than a lineup that puts you behind?

It seems to me that the best substantive rejoinder to this argument is to claim that Coates and Wilson wouldn't have performed any better than Dozier and Ibiam in the beginning of games. I suggest all statistics and eye tests belie such a claim.

Staley thought her bench could dig her out of any hole. Was that confidence, cockiness, arrogance, ignorance, stupidity, brilliance, perspicacity or nonchalance. Maybe it was some combination. What we do know is that it was ultimately . . . wrong.
RP

PostPosted: 04/06/15 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The starting lineup was a concern of mine in December, and my only objection to Staley's coaching is that she likes to reward upperclassmen with starts.

In 2012, Staley started senior Courtney Newton (who averaged 0.7 points) over freshman Aleighsa Welch and sophomore Ashley Bruner, two far superior players. There is not any one player that stands out so obviously now, but it's difficult to justify sticking with a unit that struggled against other top teams a season ago and had not shown any notable improvement.

pwhite66

PostPosted: 04/06/15 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not debating you on Staley's rotation because frankly, I don't know enough about the thinking behind it - hers, not anyone else's. I will say I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to a coach that just led her team to a 34-3 record and lost by a point in the national semifinals.

But that's just me. If you want to assign significant import for last night's result on who did and didn't start, have at it.

But you should choose your words more carefully.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/07/15 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's always some debate about this, and I don't know if there's a right answer.

So Ibiam is going to play four minutes, say -- does it really make a difference when she plays them?

One answer is "yes, it's crucial," especially if she starts and the team falls behind. Some believe the first few minutes of the game are especially important. Others believe that all minutes are pretty much created equal. (I tend to believe the most "important" minutes are the start of the second half and the last two or three, but I'll gladly take a 10-0 run midway through the first half.)

The other answer is that the group dynamics of a team and program are more important in the long run, and continued success depends on more than just statistical analysis. I've always said that I can't expect players to be loyal to the program if the program isn't loyal to them, so there's that piece too.

Certainly Staley, and every coach, can be criticized for lineup choices, and substitution patterns, but I firmly believe that no one can understand those decisions unless they are at practice every day and are fully in tune with the group dynamics of the team. That doesn't mean Staley can't be wrong, but it does mean, I think, there are factors in play that outsiders really can't take into account.

PostPosted: 04/07/15 3:04 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

Wrong opinion and wrongly stated. 0 for 2.

It seems that posting negative opinions with "catchy" headlines or opening sentences is relieving your own personal boredom, but not really advancing anything except your own poor choice of words. Even when told by more than one person, you deny, deny, deny.

Just. Stop.

Here's a rule of thumb:

The word "rape" is NEVER EVER funny. Don't use it unless it is a serious story involving a sexual assault.

If it seems "funny and sexually provocative" it will likely be offensive to a significant chunk of folks. Seriously when there's no sex and no provocation in the story, then don't just fling it into a headline just to ease your own boredom. If you do fling it in, be prepared for that significant chunk of people to respond negatively to the headline rather than whatever weak substance is in the opinion piece.

GlennMacGrady wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

For you to call Dawn cocky and the team arrogant is way off base as neither are true. Dawn is not, nor has she ever been cocky!

You are misinterpreting and overreacting to rhetorical words instead of analyzing basketball. The "Gamecocks" or "Cocks" is the nickname of the South Carolina team. "Cockytalk" is the name of the team's fan board. Therefore a "Cocky sin" (note the initial capital letter) is intended as a pun, which refers to a sin committed by the Gamecocks -- specifically by the coach.

The sin -- a rhetorical word -- was a foolish starting lineup all season. That's my opinion. To state a few individual cases of weaker players starting over stronger players -- such as by Roy Williams, Red Auerbach or Geno Auriemma -- over the vast 125 year sport of basketball is trivial and unconvincing. If any of those coaches had been coaching lousy teams -- such as Auerbach coaching the Syracuse Nationals instead of the Boston Celtics, or Auriemma coaching the University of Houston instead of Connecticut -- you can bet John Havlicek and Maya Moore would not have started on the bench.

These exceptions to the overwhelming practice of starting a team's strongest scoring lineup are all in the context of dominant teams, where the team can easily win most games no matter who is in the fifth or sixth spot in the lineup. If you don't like the word "arrogance" to describe such a situation, then consider it transformed into "overweening confidence". It doesn't change the basketball analysis for me.

Staley had confidence her team could win with an offensively-challenged starting lineup against most teams. She was right. She was wrong when it counted against Notre Dame. Had Coates and Wilson been in the starting lineup from the beginning, and had practiced more often as a starting unit, the Cocks would have been higher scoring team over the season with no detriment to their defense. That's my opinion, which could be wrong.

~rAf
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/07/15 3:52 pm    ::: Re: The wages of 10 minutes of Cocky sin Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Wrong opinion and wrongly stated. 0 for 2.

It seems that posting negative opinions with "catchy" headlines or opening sentences is relieving your own personal boredom, but not really advancing anything except your own poor choice of words. Even when told by more than one person, you deny, deny, deny.

Just. Stop.

Here's a rule of thumb:

The word "rape" is NEVER EVER funny. Don't use it unless it is a serious story involving a sexual assault.

If it seems "funny and sexually provocative" it will likely be offensive to a significant chunk of folks. Seriously when there's no sex and no provocation in the story, then don't just fling it into a headline just to ease your own boredom. If you do fling it in, be prepared for that significant chunk of people to respond negatively to the headline rather than whatever weak substance is in the opinion piece.

I can't find the word 'rape' in anything Glenn wrote in this thread. Dawn Staley is the coach of the Gamecocks. Saying she made a 'cocky sin' is not sexual. If you're asserting that it is, which is, frankly, hard to tell from your post, then I think you're wrong on that point and, if you are, then you have no business telling the OP to stop. The use of the word 'rape' was in another thread and people, including you, already expressed themselves to the OP in that thread. This is different day, different thread, different word.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: