RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches Hot Seat - 2014-15 edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FS02

PostPosted: 02/09/15 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the 'cats use this win as a catalyst to go on and win 5 of their last 6, then I can see it, but one win doesn't erase years of bad results.

PostPosted: 02/09/15 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Butts at Arizona.

getting toward end of season and yeah, they're still abysmal. Good men's program, no reason the women should be this bad. Hard to see why they keep her... SEVEN F Years!

“Niya Butts is hard-working, energetic and dedicated,” Arizona Athletics Director Greg Byrne said. “She is one of the rising stars in the coaching ranks and we are thrilled to have her here at the University of Arizona. Her commitment to excellence, on and off the court, is unmatched and she continues to build on the tradition of Arizona women’s basketball. She and her staff are great at bringing in and developing young talent. The future is bright for Coach Butts and her squad.”

yeah right.

It's ironic, in retrospect, that a Stanford fan put the Cats on blast.

IMO there is a better chance that Butts is coaching UA next year than TVD is coaching Stanford. I think TVD may retire after this year.

Holy cow. What a shake-up that'd be. Would the Stanford AD back the money truck up to Scott Rueck's house, or does Kate Paye have that job in a headlock?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/09/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And who would coach Stanford next year if not TVD?

PostPosted: 02/09/15 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Butts at Arizona.

getting toward end of season and yeah, they're still abysmal. Good men's program, no reason the women should be this bad. Hard to see why they keep her... SEVEN F Years!

“Niya Butts is hard-working, energetic and dedicated,” Arizona Athletics Director Greg Byrne said. “She is one of the rising stars in the coaching ranks and we are thrilled to have her here at the University of Arizona. Her commitment to excellence, on and off the court, is unmatched and she continues to build on the tradition of Arizona women’s basketball. She and her staff are great at bringing in and developing young talent. The future is bright for Coach Butts and her squad.”

yeah right.

IMO there is a better chance that Butts is coaching UA next year than TVD is coaching Stanford. I think TVD may retire after this year.

Can you share why you think that?

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/09/15 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Butts at Arizona.

yeah right.

why ironic? Yeah, Stanford is struggling this year but Arizona has been abysmal year after year after year after year. I actually think the turning point was when Pokey died. It seems the whole program died with her. I gave them some slack for a few years after that, but now?

- Amanda Gorman
Michael

PostPosted: 02/09/15 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
How hot is the seat under Sharon Versyp at Purdue?

Cold as ice. Extension in the offseason and just signed the best class she has ever signed since being at Purdue. The administration loves her. She isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks. Missed the summer extension.

If Versyp is not fired after this season, expect Purdue's season ticket sales to drop below 1,000. The fans are staying away in droves and dozens won't renew even if there is a coaching change. She should have been fired 4 years ago if the administration had been serious about maintaining Purdue as a national program.

PostPosted: 02/09/15 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Butts at Arizona.

yeah right.

why ironic? Yeah, Stanford is struggling this year but Arizona has been abysmal year after year after year after year.

Ironic because you "yeah right"ed the notion of a brighter future for Arizona, which then went on to experience its brightest moment in years at the expense of your Cardinal this weekend. That said, it's certainly the case that Arizona WBB has been in a competitive funk for a long time, now.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/10/15 3:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
grrlagent wrote:
LitePal wrote:
My point being that salaries for wbb are totally out of control and it becomes a coin flip as to who will be successful. The spending of ADs to land a "big name" is bound to occasionally backfire, especially when someone like Caldwell was selected because everyone drank the Kool-Aid.

I have to say that I drank the Kool-Aid. It turns out it was a knock-off supermarket brand I drank. We. Are. Screwed. LSU is not going to buy her out for at least 3 or 4 years. She'll run the program down even more than Van would have primarily because she can't recruit and she can't coach offense. Maybe Tyler will bloom and join the SEC in 2019.

Can you say 2-4 y'all? AND we play Tyler and his Techsters tonight. Ought to be interesting.

You know I understand you are not bashing Tyler, but I want to comment on it. There are alot of posters on here that bashed or bashes Tyler Summitt. He is doing a great job there in his first year and his recruiting has been solid, actually above solid. He will not be the next coach at LSU. He will be the next coach at Tennessee.

Right. DeMoss is the one coaching LA Tech. Skippy is there for the name.

Nobody said thar

warladytigers

PostPosted: 02/10/15 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As an AU fan who goes to all of the home games - this team is almost "painful" to watch....the girls are playing hard but one wonders how they have managed to "forget" the fundamentals.....passing and lay-ups come to mind......something is certainly amiss!

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/12/15 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

warladytigers wrote:
As an AU fan who goes to all of the home games - this team is almost "painful" to watch....the girls are playing hard but one wonders how they have managed to "forget" the fundamentals.....passing and lay-ups come to mind......something is certainly amiss!

Beyond painful in my opinion. We have had 4 season tickets for years and this is the only time I have ever been embarrassed to invite people to a game. I almost feel sorry for Terri Williams-Flournoy. I did say almost. She makes $550,000 a yr. That salary for 5 years and she should have a hefty bank account. A new direction is most likely needed.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/12/15 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

Can you share why you think that?

At this time I don't want to say why I think that. I hope I am wrong and she stays on.

I do think Kate Paye would be the top person offered the job if Tara were to retire.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/12/15 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ISTM that that would mean more of the same, but correct me if I'm wrong. I would think that perhaps Stanford needs to go in a new direction.

PostPosted: 02/17/15 11:45 am    ::: It could be the end of the Niya Butts era at Arizona Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2015/02/it-could-be-the-end-of-the-niya-butts-era-at-arizona

Quote:
Now in her seventh year at Arizona, Butts has never led the Wildcats to the NCAA tournament. The only postseason trip was in 2011 when the UA fell in the first round of the NIT, and she actually got a contract extension after that.

In the four seasons since, Arizona has won a total of 10 conference games. That’s not cutting it.

Now equipped with the best facilities in the Pac-12, the only question to ask is: Why aren’t the Wildcats winning more? The blame has to fall on Butts.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/17/15 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering that they just gave her an extension that would be a pretty big buyout. Oh well, I guess they can afford it.

PostPosted: 02/17/15 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Considering that they just gave her an extension that would be a pretty big buyout. Oh well, I guess they can afford it.

What? From the article:

Quote:
Inevitably, the conversation turns to the future of head coach Niya Butts, who still has one year left on her contract. With Arizona doomed for another bottom finish in the Pac-12 — in a year that rival ASU has raced to the top — will athletic director Greg Byrne give Butts another chance?

Looks like a 1 year buyout according to the article posted. Did you even read it?

And then there's this from an article last March, when there were questions about her return as well:

Quote:
Butts got a contract extension during the euphoria of her 20-win season in 2011, stretching it into the 2015-16 season.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/17/15 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I read the damn article. And I know she doesn't get paid peanuts. Sheesh! Did someone pee in your cornflakes this morning? I could be mistaken, but ISTM that she got an extension recently and there was some flak about that.

PostPosted: 02/17/15 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Yes, I read the damn article. And I know she doesn't get paid peanuts. Sheesh! Did someone pee in your cornflakes this morning? I could be mistaken, but ISTM that she got an extension recently and there was some flak about that.

No, her extension was in 2011 and runs through next season...no big deal to buy out a single year at Arizona.

SueFavor

PostPosted: 02/19/15 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Seattle U ready to let Joan Bonvicini go?

How long will UCSB give Carlene Mitchell?

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
beknighted

PostPosted: 02/20/15 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
Is Seattle U ready to let Joan Bonvicini go?

How long will UCSB give Carlene Mitchell?

I've been assuming Mitchell is gone at the end of the year since about New Year's Day. Something has gone seriously wrong there.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/26/15 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never saw Bonnie Henrickson as on the hot seat, but there is a column saying that she should not return. She made the Sweet 16 and 2012 and 2013. Had some tough injuries, like Asia Boyd this year.
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2015/feb/26/column-ku-womens-coach-seniors-deserve-thanks/

Eleven losing seasons with small crowds at most of the games does not earn a coach a 12th, especially when the buyout calls for just one year of salary in the contract extension athletic director Sheahon Zenger signed Henrickson to after her second Sweet 16.

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/26/15 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bonnie was supposed to turn Kansas into a national power and the results have been disappointing. Then she got lucky in the tournament, mainly thanks to Angel Goodrich, but KU will likely go back to the Big 12 basement. The Sweet 16s were nice, but mostly an aberration.

Not sure Bonnie lasts that much longer in Lawrence.

loneycafe

PostPosted: 02/26/15 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has the tipping point come for McCallie?

Too much getting out in the public now. Brodhead is about perception.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/26/15 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

loneycafe wrote:

What got out now?

And doesn't she have a new contract through 2018-2019?

dfineguy

PostPosted: 02/26/15 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ISTM that that would mean more of the same, but correct me if I'm wrong. I would think that perhaps Stanford needs to go in a new direction.

Like Tennessee did hiring Holly Warlick.

PostPosted: 02/27/15 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
loneycafe wrote:

What got out now?

And doesn't she have a new contract through 2018-2019?

Just go read TDD.

Yes, but I don't think the buy out will be much of an issue with Duke.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: