RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches Hot Seat - 2014-15 edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 02/03/15 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Two-thirds through the season, I really hope we can add Sharon Versyp to this list. Last night, Purdue was clobbered by Indiana, of all teams, including being down more than 20 at halftime. Boilers are now 3-8 in the Big Ten and one game out of last in the conference.

Results are terrible, and play on the court looks even worse. Players are routinely thrown under the bus by the coach. Promising freshmen can't get off the bench. Attendance, which used to be among the best in the nation, has plummeted.

Versyp has never taken a team of her own recruits passed the second round. She has never had one of her recruits drafted. We are on the way to our worst record in at least 30 years. Her total destruction through incompetence of what used to be nationally relevant program is almost complete.

Purdue's coach got a contract extension this summer, which will keep her around until 2019-2020. http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2014/05/23/salary-increase-part-versyp-contract-extension/9505969/

• It includes a $53,000 raise for the 2014-15 season, bringing Versyp's salary (base salary and supplemental income) to $547,025. In 2015-16, the former Purdue point guard is scheduled to receive at least a $50,000 increase in supplemental income, bringing her salary to just over $600,000.

• Purdue announced Versyp's extension as a two-year deal, but a clause in the contract states that Versyp must remain with the program through June 30, 2015, in order for the contract to extend through June 30, 2020. Not a big deal.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 02/04/15 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

grrlagent wrote:
LitePal wrote:
My point being that salaries for wbb are totally out of control and it becomes a coin flip as to who will be successful. The spending of ADs to land a "big name" is bound to occasionally backfire, especially when someone like Caldwell was selected because everyone drank the Kool-Aid.

I have to say that I drank the Kool-Aid. It turns out it was a knock-off supermarket brand I drank. We. Are. Screwed. LSU is not going to buy her out for at least 3 or 4 years. She'll run the program down even more than Van would have primarily because she can't recruit and she can't coach offense. Maybe Tyler will bloom and join the SEC in 2019.

Can you say 2-4 y'all? AND we play Tyler and his Techsters tonight. Ought to be interesting.

You know I understand you are not bashing Tyler, but I want to comment on it. There are alot of posters on here that bashed or bashes Tyler Summitt. He is doing a great job there in his first year and his recruiting has been solid, actually above solid. He will not be the next coach at LSU. He will be the next coach at Tennessee.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 02/04/15 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now lets get this thread back on topic. Who is looking more and more like a coaching change is at hand?

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/04/15 12:48 am    ::: Terri Williams-Flournoy Reply Reply with quote

Coach Flo is a quality person, but due to ineffective recruiting and player evaluations, the Auburn Program is now in a free fall. Something has to change and with a salary of $550,000/yr. and virtually unlimited resources, including one of the best venues in the SEC, the new Auburn Arena, to play in, the excuses are hard to find.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 02/04/15 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok Ill give you Auburn. I can see Eastern Kentucky, Murray State, and Austin Peay in the OVC. Arizona out west. Who else?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/04/15 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Flo is in only her 3rd year so while results haven't been great, she's still building.

I'll say it again. Vandy fans aren't very happy. Injuries aside, the product on the floor isn't what Dore fans expect.

grrlagent

PostPosted: 02/04/15 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
grrlagent wrote:
LitePal wrote:
My point being that salaries for wbb are totally out of control and it becomes a coin flip as to who will be successful. The spending of ADs to land a "big name" is bound to occasionally backfire, especially when someone like Caldwell was selected because everyone drank the Kool-Aid.

I have to say that I drank the Kool-Aid. It turns out it was a knock-off supermarket brand I drank. We. Are. Screwed. LSU is not going to buy her out for at least 3 or 4 years. She'll run the program down even more than Van would have primarily because she can't recruit and she can't coach offense. Maybe Tyler will bloom and join the SEC in 2019.

Can you say 2-4 y'all? AND we play Tyler and his Techsters tonight. Ought to be interesting.

You know I understand you are not bashing Tyler, but I want to comment on it. There are alot of posters on here that bashed or bashes Tyler Summitt. He is doing a great job there in his first year and his recruiting has been solid, actually above solid. He will not be the next coach at LSU. He will be the next coach at Tennessee.

You are right. I wasn't bashing Tyler in any shape, form, or fashion. I have no beef with the kid. You are wrong. He should not go back to Tennessee. He should go somewhere and make his own name. If he is succeeding at LA Tech, he should stay at LA Tech and bring the program back to its glory days...

PostPosted: 02/04/15 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
...There are alot of posters on here that bashed or bashes Tyler Summitt....

I don't recall anyone bashing him. People, myself included, were bashing LA Tech and their hiring process, noting that there were literally hundreds of people that were better and more qualified hires. That is nothing against him nor an indictment of his coaching ability. He may turn out to be one of the next great coaches. The reality was/is, his resume was very short and he had little experience at all, regardless of being an asst or head coach. That wasn't his fault, he's only 23 or so it's kind of hard to be experienced. He got the job simply because of the last name and who his mom was, plain and simple.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/04/15 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

I don't recall anyone bashing him. People, myself included, were bashing LA Tech and their hiring process, noting that there were literally hundreds of people that were better and more qualified hires. That is nothing against him nor an indictment of his coaching ability. He may turn out to be one of the next great coaches. The reality was/is, his resume was very short and he had little experience at all, regardless of being an asst or head coach. That wasn't his fault, he's only 23 or so it's kind of hard to be experienced. He got the job simply because of the last name and who his mom was, plain and simple.

See another thread (I think it's in Gameday somewhere) for comparison of him and Matt Insell. Not a lot of difference, just a couple of years allowing for age, but no hue and cry over Insell's hiring at Ole Miss because nobody much knew who his dad was. (and yes, there was some bashing, but it wasn't you.)

PostPosted: 02/04/15 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

See another thread (I think it's in Gameday somewhere) for comparison of him and Matt Insell. Not a lot of difference, just a couple of years allowing for age, but no hue and cry over Insell's hiring at Ole Miss because nobody much knew who his dad was. (and yes, there was some bashing, but it wasn't you.)

Matt was the biggest reason why Middle Tennessee became a mid-major power plus he had been an AAU coach for one of, if not the best AAU programs in the country. His resume was much more full than Summitt who basically was an asst at a not very good Marquette for a year or 2.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 02/04/15 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Matt was the biggest reason why Middle Tennessee became a mid-major power plus he had been an AAU coach for one of, if not the best AAU programs in the country. His resume was much more full than Summitt who basically was an asst at a not very good Marquette for a year or 2.

Matt Insell never coached at Middle TN. Nepotism rules blocked Rick Insell from hiring him as an asst coach. Insell had asst coaching stops at La Tech and UK before being hired at Ole Miss.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/04/15 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Matt Insell never coached at Middle TN. Nepotism rules blocked Rick Insell from hiring him as an asst coach. Insell had asst coaching stops at La Tech and UK before being hired at Ole Miss.

Thank you for the correction. I was thinking about both Matt & Rick and accidentally typed about Middle Tenn. His 5 or 6 years at UK are probably the best run that program has ever had and he was a HUGE reason for that. Again, his resume when held up beside that of Tyler Summitt are like night/day and absolutely no comparison.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/04/15 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we discuss the merits of Tyler Summit elsewhere? He's not going to be on the hot seat, he just got hired.

Back on topic, here are some teams that are struggling and don't have new coaches. Think a coach with 4 years or less is safe even if the team is bad.

Chicago State and Utah Valley both 1-5 in the WAC, longtime coaches at both spots.

There have been a lot of coaching changes the past few years so its hard to find too many potential openings. I thought Florida maybe, but the coach has a few years left on her deal. Same with Arizona, extended until 2016-2017. Wisconsin's coach got extended through 2019 which seems very odd, have they done anything in recent years? Virginia Tech's coach signed a 6 year deal in 2011, pretty generous given that he had never coached women's basketball before.

SMU is 0-10 in the AAC, but as a private school there is no information on her contract terms.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/04/15 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Can we discuss the merits of Tyler Summit elsewhere? He's not going to be on the hot seat, he just got hired.

Back on topic, here are some teams that are struggling and don't have new coaches. Think a coach with 4 years or less is safe even if the team is bad.

Chicago State and Utah Valley both 1-5 in the WAC, longtime coaches at both spots.

There have been a lot of coaching changes the past few years so its hard to find too many potential openings. I thought Florida maybe, but the coach has a few years left on her deal. Same with Arizona, extended until 2016-2017. Wisconsin's coach got extended through 2019 which seems very odd, have they done anything in recent years? Virginia Tech's coach signed a 6 year deal in 2011, pretty generous given that he had never coached women's basketball before.

SMU is 0-10 in the AAC, but as a private school there is no information on her contract terms.

Bobbi Kelsey at Wisconsin is only in her third year. After the Lisa Stone debacle, I think they want to give her a chance. They aren't THAT awful. Perhaps they are going on the premise that it takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program. I was looking at their website the other night and she has a lot of seniors and juniors, which would mean probably a lot of Stone hand-me-downs. Besides which, I'm not sure Barry Alvarez cares a whole lot about WBB. He's a football guy.

PostPosted: 02/05/15 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Flo is in only her 3rd year so while results haven't been great, she's still building.

I'll say it again. Vandy fans aren't very happy. Injuries aside, the product on the floor isn't what Dore fans expect.

That is laughable. When you build something, there is a trajectory that includes getting better. The program has digressed. She did not take over a program that was in disarray.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 02/05/15 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

That is laughable. When you build something, there is a trajectory that includes getting better. The program has digressed. She did not take over a program that was in disarray.

By that standard, Wisconsin is getting better. Not much, but they certainly are doing better this year in the B1G than last year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/05/15 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Um, I think the word you want is "REgressed".....as in "gone backwards". And I'm going to assume you're talking about Auburn, although the message you quote was talking about Vandy. But Auburn definitely has gone backwards, as their record, especially in the SEC, would indicate. It's gotten worse each year since Williams-Flournoy took over. Fortner left them in pretty good shape. Looking at the roster, I see juniors and seniors plus the requisite number of freshmen and sophomores, so it looks like she's been recruiting. Are these not quality recruits, or can she just not coach?

Or am I off track and were you talking about Vandy after all, which does seem to be a bit off the rails?

Last edited by summertime blues on 02/05/15 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/05/15 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Butts at Arizona.

getting toward end of season and yeah, they're still abysmal. Good men's program, no reason the women should be this bad. Hard to see why they keep her... SEVEN F Years!

“Niya Butts is hard-working, energetic and dedicated,” Arizona Athletics Director Greg Byrne said. “She is one of the rising stars in the coaching ranks and we are thrilled to have her here at the University of Arizona. Her commitment to excellence, on and off the court, is unmatched and she continues to build on the tradition of Arizona women’s basketball. She and her staff are great at bringing in and developing young talent. The future is bright for Coach Butts and her squad.”

yeah right.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/05/15 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Butts at Arizona.

getting toward end of season and yeah, they're still abysmal. Good men's program, no reason the women should be this bad. Hard to see why they keep her... SEVEN F Years!

“Niya Butts is hard-working, energetic and dedicated,” Arizona Athletics Director Greg Byrne said. “She is one of the rising stars in the coaching ranks and we are thrilled to have her here at the University of Arizona. Her commitment to excellence, on and off the court, is unmatched and she continues to build on the tradition of Arizona women’s basketball. She and her staff are great at bringing in and developing young talent. The future is bright for Coach Butts and her squad.”

yeah right.

If there's anything that will inspire them to care, it's ASU becoming good. As long as it was just Stanford, who cares.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/05/15 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

.double post

Last edited by PlayBally'all on 02/05/15 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/05/15 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Um, I think the word you want is "REgressed".....as in "gone backwards". And I'm going to assume you're talking about Auburn, although the message you quote was talking about Vandy. But Auburn definitely has gone backwards, as their record, especially in the SEC, would indicate. It's gotten worse each year since Williams-Flournoy took over. Fortner left them in pretty good shape. Looking at the roster, I see juniors and seniors plus the requisite number of freshmen and sophomores, so it looks like she's been recruiting. Are these not quality recruits, or can she just not coach?

Or am I off track and were you talking about Vandy after all, which does seem to be a bit off the rails?

Yes ...regressed. LOL

I was talking about Auburn. I replied to the first sentence which reads Flo.....
referring to Terri Williams-Flournoy or Coach Flo as she is called.

The roster only has 1 senior, and she is a JUCO transfer. There was one other senior until the Hasina Muhammed dismissal. There are 2 Juniors. The two juniors and Muhammed were recruited by Fortner. Some players were expecting a different coach and transferred when they learned of the hire. One transferred to Miami, another to FSU and another to Michigan State. Kellie Jolly Harper interviewed and many of the players had assumed that she would be offered the job, but she wasn't. I don't hold that against the current staff. Recruiting SEC level talent to replace those players has been a challenge for Flo and that is her responsibility. Even with the transfers, there was enough talent left over to be competitive the past two seasons. This team is now winless in the SEC and that is simply not acceptable at Auburn. I am torn as to exactly what the core of the problem is. Recruiting is certainly part of the problem, although last year's class looks respectable. I believe that she can coach, but I'm not sold on her style of defensive play being able to compete in the upper half of the SEC. Press Press Press. That is fine, but you have to recruit a couple of shooters as well.

She will have a hard time surviving a 0 win season in the SEC. She is being paid $550,000/yr and has two more years on her initial contract.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/05/15 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kellie was an assistant at Auburn for 2-3 years when she first graduated from UT. I didn't know she'd interviewed for the HC job. It's a little surprising she wasn't offered, considering that. I think she'd have been better than TWF; she has some history there at least. She seems to be building a nice program at Missouri State, one step at a time. Auburn was a worthy opponent under Ciampi and Fortner but they are just sad now. It looks to me like TWF either can't recruit, or doesn't know what to do with them once she gets them, because the program has sure deteriorated. SMDH.

PostPosted: 02/05/15 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

To hire Tyler was an easy decision for La Tech. They not only hired Tyler, they also, by virtue of him being hired, hired Mickie DeMoss. DeMoss isn't interested in being a head coach, but her resume would certainly place her at the top of the stack of candidates if she was. La Tech is a program that, as you all know, was at the top of the sport for decades. If they could turn back time and beg Kim Mulkey to take over the program years ago they would. They can't do that. They made that mistake and haven't been in the spotlight of the sport since. Hiring any coach is a gamble, but hiring Tyler brought something that other candidates could not bring. He brought exposure. If it doesn't work, are they really any worse for trying?

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/05/15 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Kellie was an assistant at Auburn for 2-3 years when she first graduated from UT. I didn't know she'd interviewed for the HC job. It's a little surprising she wasn't offered, considering that. I think she'd have been better than TWF; she has some history there at least. She seems to be building a nice program at Missouri State, one step at a time. Auburn was a worthy opponent under Ciampi and Fortner but they are just sad now. It looks to me like TWF either can't recruit, or doesn't know what to do with them once she gets them, because the program has sure deteriorated. SMDH.

I totally agree. We were all surprised. On paper, Terri Williams-Flournoy (TWF) did have the better resume, however, as we all know, sometimes the resume alone doesn't make a coach a good fit for a program. Kellie was a good fit. Jody Adams would also be a good fit. Jody and Kellie are in some ways very different, but they both get the culture and are very good x's and o's coaches.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 02/06/15 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
grrlagent wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Right. DeMoss is the one coaching LA Tech. Skippy is there for the name.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: