RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke (7) @ Alabama - 11/16/14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/16/14 1:58 pm    ::: Duke (7) @ Alabama - 11/16/14 Reply Reply with quote

Tuscaloosa, AL - 8:00 PM ET
TV: SECN

Video:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2075665/Womens-College-Basketball-Duke-vs-Alabama

Audio:
http://www.rolltide.com/collegesportslive/?media=471277

http://www.goduke.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPSID=22762&SPID=1846&db_oem_id=4200 (sub)

Gametracker:
http://www.rolltide.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wbaskbl.html?event=1367009&school=alab&sport=wbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sigur3

PostPosted: 11/16/14 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I appreciate your hard work with these threads, Shades. Glad to see you're doing it again this season.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/16/14 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree. It's really helpful to have TV and links. Thanks Shades.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/16/14 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game is on the SEC Network on TV, by the way, which I think a lot more people get than they do the SENC+.

DirecTV and Comcast customers, for example, both get this game on their TV tonight I believe.

611 on DirecTV.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/14 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
This game is on the SEC Network on TV, by the way, which I think a lot more people get than they do the SENC+.

DirecTV and Comcast customers, for example, both get this game on their TV tonight I believe.

611 on DirecTV.

Yay. 408 on Dish!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/16/14 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

611 on DirecTV.

Yay. 408 on Dish!

384 on cable here in Durham, NC

~rAf
lvf08

PostPosted: 11/16/14 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excited to have college basketball back on TV!

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/14 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bama looks BAAAAD! Pass it around until you lose it - I hate that offense.

- Amanda Gorman
Brinx

PostPosted: 11/16/14 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, Duke has a lot of length this year. Bama just can't pass around those long arms.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/16/14 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bama also lost a LOT from last year, so I'm not really surprised by this.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/16/14 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
Wow, Duke has a lot of length this year. Bama just can't pass around those long arms.

Tallest team in the country. And longest arms.

~rAf
PRballer

PostPosted: 11/16/14 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Greenwell looks mighty good out there for Duke. The sophomores from California (Chidom and Cooper) looked long/tall and savvy, too.

Hoping Elizabeth Williams has her best season yet and plays into the #1 pick next April.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/16/14 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Is Alabama the worst team in the SEC? If they're not I hate to see who is. Baaaaad team.

And Fortner has to have the early lead as the worst on-air personality in WCBB. Make no mistake, I'm thrilled to see ANY WCBB on TV, but between the bizarre camera angles, the nonstop SEC hype (I thought the BTN was bad for shameless self promotion, but the SECN makes them look like rank amateurs), and Fortner's superficial commentary, lack of homework, and smiley face phony undeserved praise for anything and everything, this is really tough to watch. I knew it would be a tough night when Fortner declared at the outset that Kristy Curry should have been coach of the year for the great job she did at Bama last year (they ended 14-16, by the way). She followed that up by calling Tenn the best team in the country.

Duke is really going to punish people inside, by the way. You really couldn't tell much tonight about whether they can deal with the guard positions or not because they weren't tested anywhere. I though it looked like Williams has lost quite a bit of weight. She looked really good.

blaase22

PostPosted: 11/16/14 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you think Fortner is bad commentating basketball, you should hear her commenting volleyball. Laughing

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 11/16/14 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
If you think Fortner is bad commentating basketball, you should hear her commenting volleyball. Laughing

Don't get me started . It's hard to believe she actually played volleyball at some point in her life . She has no insight into it at all .

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/16/14 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Don't get me started . It's hard to believe she actually played volleyball at some point in her life . She has no insight into it at all .

Heck, she coached basketball, and if she has any insights, she's keeping them to herself.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/16/14 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Wow. Is Alabama the worst team in the SEC? If they're not I hate to see who is. Baaaaad team.

And Fortner has to have the early lead as the worst on-air personality in WCBB. Make no mistake, I'm thrilled to see ANY WCBB on TV, but between the bizarre camera angles, the nonstop SEC hype (I thought the BTN was bad for shameless self promotion, but the SECN makes them look like rank amateurs), and Fortner's superficial commentary, lack of homework, and smiley face phony undeserved praise for anything and everything, this is really tough to watch. I knew it would be a tough night when Fortner declared at the outset that Kristy Curry should have been coach of the year for the great job she did at Bama last year (they ended 14-16, by the way). She followed that up by calling Tenn the best team in the country.

Duke is really going to punish people inside, by the way. You really couldn't tell much tonight about whether they can deal with the guard positions or not because they weren't tested anywhere. I though it looked like Williams has lost quite a bit of weight. She looked really good.

Yes. No ball pressure. But hand it to McCallie for installing a passing offense (finally).

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/16/14 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Yes. No ball pressure. But hand it to McCallie for installing a passing offense (finally).

Although those weak lobs over the head of everyone to bigs standing under the basket that were remarkably effective tonight are turnovers waiting to happen against more talented, quicker teams.

Duke could basically do anything tonight. Everything worked.

That's where the question will arise. Can the guards effectively get the ball inside to all those bigs against teams that actually play defense.

Oh, and didn't you love the halftime clinic with Curry telling us how their defense is designed to deny the opponent the paint? You just wanted to ask "hows that working out for ya coach?"

I also loved Fortner's little ditty about how difficult and time consuming it is to practice and prepare for all these different types of zone defenses that Duke throws at you. Say what?

SportzJunky

PostPosted: 11/17/14 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My thoughts on the game:

Pros: Coach P has FINALLY tried to practice pressed breaks (I know Alabama press was weak but it is a step in the right direction). Duke has changed their offensive scheme (thank God). It is no longer (so far) throw it in the inside ONLY to EW. The problem I had last year is that this is all they looked for, so teams would scout for it and Duke would look lost whenever EW was not in the game or double teamed and couldn't get the ball to EW (despite having a descent amount of talent). Duke is also passing more this year (this is probably coming from not just looking at EW on offense). This makes them harder to guard when you trust your teammates enough to pass them the ball. I actually like the mixups with defenses and even the different presses (again, I know it was against Alabama but still with the length we have it is working). I DO NOT want to do a 2-3 zone against good 3-point shooting teams still but it was good practice to see all the different defensive schemes.

Cons: Turnovers!!!!! I know this is a young team (especially at the guard position) but we have to be smarter. The player that showed she was truly a freshman the most was Sierra C. Man, I see potential but I also see a HUGE headache! I hope she gets it together because 95% of her turnovers were unforced! She also needs to make better shot selections. Sometimes she is double teamed and have a wing player open but won’t pass the ball and make a stupid shot attempt. Our PG play is SCARY!!! I know, this isn't a surprise to most but I honestly thought KJ was going to be descent this year but against ALABAMA she looked at best AVERAGE which is scary.

Bright Spots: Becca was off tonight from the Arc (Coach P, you ever heard of running a play where Becca comes off of 2 screens to get her open) and still had 17 points!!! It shows that she is not scared to put the ball on the floor and drive! This is something that took Liston 4 years to learn. When teams focused on Liston and ran her off the line (before her senior year) she disappeared from the game. Becca also decided not to let her off shooting dictate her game! She played good defense and got some stills for easy buckets and rebounded for the team to help out. Azura Stevens WILL start before it is all said and done (at the SF position). This girl I think is VERY underrated coming out of college. To me she is our BEST recruit from this class. Her handles and shot is good (did you she her cross up that guard and pull up for that jumpshot!) plus she understands she is tall so when she had a smaller defender on her she went to the post. Despite her small frame she still was aggressive with rebounding as well. AZ needs more touches in my opinion! I LOVE Chidom!!! She plays her part and really gets after it on both sides of the court. Lastly EW looks good! You can tell she actually got a chance to work on her game this summer (finally completely healthy)! In her pre-season games and against Alabama she looks ready for this year (granted the level of competition she was against). She is actually LOOKING to pass the ball this year which is GREAT! Ever since she got to Duke I felt like Coach P was making her do too much (forcing shots) instead of depending on her teammates. In one interview last year Coach P criticized EW saying she needs to play through double teams and score the ball because she can?!?!?! Why do that when you have Liston on the wing along with Peters and Jones (when she was healthy) at the point? This year so far I see that EW is choosing when to take the ball strong to the goal and when to pass (which is keeping the defense honest). I will say, I see a little more aggressiveness from EW but I need more...I want some fire from her and to be more vocal.

Coach P is still coach P but she is atleast attempting to coach looking at this game. I cannot wait until we face some comp because I want to see this team under pressure, thats when you see the true make of the team.

PostPosted: 11/17/14 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My thoughts on the game:

Pros: Coach P has FINALLY tried to practice pressed breaks (I know Alabama press was weak but it is a step in the right direction). Duke has changed their offensive scheme (thank God). It is no longer (so far) throw it in the inside ONLY to EW. The problem I had last year is that this is all they looked for, so teams would scout for it and Duke would look lost whenever EW was not in the game or double teamed and couldn't get the ball to EW (despite having a descent amount of talent). Duke is also passing more this year (this is probably coming from not just looking at EW on offense). This makes them harder to guard when you trust your teammates enough to pass them the ball. I actually like the mixups with defenses and even the different presses (again, I know it was against Alabama but still with the length we have it is working). I DO NOT want to do a 2-3 zone against good 3-point shooting teams still but it was good practice to see all the different defensive schemes.

Cons: Turnovers!!!!! I know this is a young team (especially at the guard position) but we have to be smarter. The player that showed she was truly a freshman the most was Sierra C. Man, I see potential but I also see a HUGE headache! I hope she gets it together because 95% of her turnovers were unforced! She also needs to make better shot selections. Sometimes she is double teamed and have a wing player open but won’t pass the ball and make a stupid shot attempt. Our PG play is SCARY!!! I know, this isn't a surprise to most but I honestly thought KJ was going to be descent this year but against ALABAMA she looked at best AVERAGE which is scary.

Bright Spots: Becca was off tonight from the Arc (Coach P, you ever heard of running a play where Becca comes off of 2 screens to get her open) and still had 17 points!!! It shows that she is not scared to put the ball on the floor and drive! This is something that took Liston 4 years to learn. When teams focused on Liston and ran her off the line (before her senior year) she disappeared from the game. Becca also decided not to let her off shooting dictate her game! She played good defense and got some stills for easy buckets and rebounded for the team to help out. Azura Stevens WILL start before it is all said and done (at the SF position). This girl I think is VERY underrated coming out of college. To me she is our BEST recruit from this class. Her handles and shot is good (did you she her cross up that guard and pull up for that jumpshot!) plus she understands she is tall so when she had a smaller defender on her she went to the post. Despite her small frame she still was aggressive with rebounding as well. AZ needs more touches in my opinion! I LOVE Chidom!!! She plays her part and really gets after it on both sides of the court. Lastly EW looks good! You can tell she actually got a chance to work on her game this summer (finally completely healthy)! In her pre-season games and against Alabama she looks ready for this year (granted the level of competition she was against). She is actually LOOKING to pass the ball this year which is GREAT! Ever since she got to Duke I felt like Coach P was making her do too much (forcing shots) instead of depending on her teammates. In one interview last year Coach P criticized EW saying she needs to play through double teams and score the ball because she can?!?!?! Why do that when you have Liston on the wing along with Peters and Jones (when she was healthy) at the point? This year so far I see that EW is choosing when to take the ball strong to the goal and when to pass (which is keeping the defense honest). I will say, I see a little more aggressiveness from EW but I need more...I want some fire from her and to be more vocal.

Coach P is still coach P but she is atleast attempting to coach looking at this game. I cannot wait until we face some comp because I want to see this team under pressure, thats when you see the true make of the team.

PostPosted: 11/17/14 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

Bama was pretty awful last year too.

PostPosted: 11/17/14 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way Kristy Curry continues to fail into major jobs is bizarre. She was pushed out at Purdue and ended up getting a raise to go to Texas Tech. She is a big failure at TTU, and parlays that into an SEC job.

What is it about this woman?

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/17/14 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

Bama was pretty awful last year too.

I mean, Bama was 14-16 last year, so awful is a bit harsh--but they lost a lot of key players from that 14-16 squad, plus a bunch of bench players.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/17/14 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportzJunky wrote:
My thoughts on the game:

GREAT analysis junky!! With respect to the Becca v Tricia comparison, Tricia didn't initially have the quickness to take it into the paint - something she did a LOT in high school. She worked and worked and worked to increase her agility.

In regards to the passing, McCallie stated pre-season that this team would be passing due to the guard deficit. Wish it didn't take a lack of guards to push her into focus on passing as this has been a MAJOR deficit in previous years. That and the game plan (every game) to get the ball into EWill for her to take it up every daggone time. Both things (too much dribbling, no passing and the easy to figure out and stop 'into the post and power it up every time' have been things that kept Duke out of the FF and unable to compete against elite teams.

I agree totally that "AZ" Azura Stevens is the key recruit in this class. Her ball handling is above average compared to most wings. And our ability to put 6'5 at top on defense while still having 6'3 and 6'4 under the basket is a HUGE advantage. She should be starting right now and should stay there until/unless Sierra Calhoun can hit over 33% of her 3 pt shots.

KJ had a really bad game. While I don't expect her to be a stellar PG, I do think she's capable of being serviceable. And there's the added bonus of her leading by example by being vocal and making communication on the floor the norm.

This portends to be an All*American year for EWill. Not only is she healthy, but the new emphasis on passing will make her more effective. Working the ball into and out of the post so EWill only goes to the basket when she's got space to maneuver.

Now let's see what happens vs decent competition.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: