RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP POLL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/30/14 1:20 pm    ::: AP POLL Reply Reply with quote

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/uconn-unanimous-choice-atop-ap-poll/

Uconn first, South Carolina second, ND THIRD, Tennessee fourth, Texas A&M fifth.

Hmmmm, debatable

PostPosted: 10/30/14 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gave Gary Blair a lot of respect putting TAMU fifth. I disagree with SC being second as they have yet to do anything nor has Dawn though I respect her very much. ND should be second, excellent quality point guard, second best player in the country in Loyd, the second best coach in the country ( you can mention Gary if you want) and an excellent supporting cast.

PostPosted: 10/30/14 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

This is laughable. Who is Murray St (14), Daeman (22), and Purdue Calumet (receiving 45 votes)?

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/30/14 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas 9th?

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/30/14 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:

This is laughable. Who is Murray St (14), Daeman (22), and Purdue Calumet (receiving 45 votes)?

CHICO STATE FOR NATIONAL CHAMPS! Receiving one vote! Mount Union just dropped from Rankings. WHY IS MISSISSIPPI STATE RECEIVING VOTES?

I WANT REBKELL TO BECOME THE NATIONAL POLLSTERS. ESPN IS A JOKE.

Murray State is supposed to be Michigan State.
Daeman is DePaul.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/14 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
And1 wrote:

CHICO STATE FOR NATIONAL CHAMPS! Receiving one vote! Mount Union just dropped from Rankings. WHY IS MISSISSIPPI STATE RECEIVING VOTES?

I WANT REBKELL TO BECOME THE NATIONAL POLLSTERS. ESPN IS A JOKE.

Murray State is supposed to be Michigan State.
Daeman is DePaul.

No, DePaul is already listed at 18.

I have no idea what those are about. Daeman isn't even Div I.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/14 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA has it without the typos.
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1

Daemen is supposed to be Dayton at 22.

Murray St is supposed to be Mich St at 14.

Purdue, not Purdue Calument, has the 45 votes in the "others".

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/14 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Nebraska, Mich St, DePaul and UNC are all too low, by quite a few spots.

Stanford at 6 strikes me as a classic example of voters being too lazy to actually pay attention to this year's team and voting based on name alone.

Why is Oklahoma St in the top 25?

And I'm having a hard time understanding Maryland at 10 in the AP poll and being predicted by the Big 10 coaches to win the conference. That would really surprise me if that happens. I expect there's a halo effect from being a final four team last year, but that was last year.

Phil

PostPosted: 10/30/14 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know it is too early, but what happens if those four teams of the top four seeds.

The big question will be will get shipped out to Spokane. None of those four want that to happen.

UConn obviously wants to go to Albany. South Carolina is closest to Greensboro. But Tennessee is not all that far from Greensboro if they end up ahead of South Carolina they'll expect to get the Greensboro location.

What happens to Notre Dame? They aren't real close to anything.They are closer to Greensboro than any of the other three locations but it's hard to imagine putting Notre Dame in Greensboro and sending both South Carolina and Tennessee elsewhere. Second closest for Notre Dame is Albany but you can only send Notre Dame to Albany if you send UConn elsewhere.

If you start from the regional locations, which is not the way they do it but just for fun it, works out nicely. Notre Dame is the closest school to Spokane, 400 miles closer than Tennessee and almost 1000 miles closer than UConn. Oklahoma City is closest to Tennessee although only a mere 7 miles closer than Notre Dame. Albany is closest to UConn, no one else is close and Greensboro is closest to South Carolina.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/14 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I know it is too early, but what happens if those four teams of the top four seeds.

The big question will be will get shipped out to Spokane. None of those four want that to happen.

UConn obviously wants to go to Albany. South Carolina is closest to Greensboro. But Tennessee is not all that far from Greensboro if they end up ahead of South Carolina they'll expect to get the Greensboro location.

What happens to Notre Dame? They aren't real close to anything.They are closer to Greensboro than any of the other three locations but it's hard to imagine putting Notre Dame in Greensboro and sending both South Carolina and Tennessee elsewhere. Second closest for Notre Dame is Albany but you can only send Notre Dame to Albany if you send UConn elsewhere.

If you start from the regional locations, which is not the way they do it but just for fun it, works out nicely. Notre Dame is the closest school to Spokane, 400 miles closer than Tennessee and almost 1000 miles closer than UConn. Oklahoma City is closest to Tennessee although only a mere 7 miles closer than Notre Dame. Albany is closest to UConn, no one else is close and Greensboro is closest to South Carolina.

I think they are assigned to the closest location in order of seed. The fourth #1 seed will get sent to Spokane.

beknighted

PostPosted: 10/30/14 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think Nebraska, Mich St, DePaul and UNC are all too low, by quite a few spots.

Stanford at 6 strikes me as a classic example of voters being too lazy to actually pay attention to this year's team and voting based on name alone.

Why is Oklahoma St in the top 25?

And I'm having a hard time understanding Maryland at 10 in the AP poll and being predicted by the Big 10 coaches to win the conference. That would really surprise me if that happens. I expect there's a halo effect from being a final four team last year, but that was last year.

The Maryland love confuses me, too. History says the Terps are far more likely to disappoint than to overachieve.

Anyway, once I got over being angry at how little attention ESPN paid to getting the poll right, it was kind of funny.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/30/14 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Daeman is DePaul.

Then who is #18?

PostPosted: 10/30/14 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The SEC hasn't had a FF team since 2008 and yet they have 3 teams picked to do it this year? At least none of them got a first place vote like last year.

And how long does Notre Dame continue to be downgraded from the previous year's finish? This is the 3rd year in a row. Four straight NC games and still they play second fiddle to a SEC team that hasn't been there in my memory.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 10/30/14 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
The Maryland love confuses me, too. History says the Terps are far more likely to disappoint...

All this says to me is that the poll voters are setting MD up to "disappoint" because the haven't yet figured out that this is a new young unproven team in transition. Top 10? I wish (and hope) . . . But, no, not how I see Terps.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 10/30/14 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least Georgia didn't make it . . . for the first time since 1981.

Phil

PostPosted: 10/30/14 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I think they are assigned to the closest location in order of seed. The fourth #1 seed will get sent to Spokane.

That's the rule, but they have some leeway.

For example, if ND is 2 and SC is 3 and it is a close call, they aren't going to send ND to Greensboro and ship SC out to OK, they will send ND to OK, it's a short plane ride in either case, and let SC play a short drive away.

Phil

PostPosted: 10/30/14 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
The SEC hasn't had a FF team since 2008 and yet they have 3 teams picked to do it this year? At least none of them got a first place vote like last year.

And how long does Notre Dame continue to be downgraded from the previous year's finish? This is the 3rd year in a row. Four straight NC games and still they play second fiddle to a SEC team that hasn't been there in my memory.

3?

I see 2 SEC team in top 4.

Which is where I would rank them.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/30/14 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

3?

OK, TAMU is No 5. I don't know who should be ranked higher than those 3. I wasn't saying they are ranked wrong, just that a conference with zero FF teams for the last 6 years has 3 teams picked this year. Last year Tenn got a vote for No. 1 and has been a FF pick in 4 of the last 7 preseason polls, including this one. They failed, not getting there even once.

I guess my point is that in predictions, once you get past UConn and Notre Dame the drop off is straight down. Not in talent. In results.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 10/30/14 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks alright too me.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/14 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
Looks alright too me.

Sure, it's preseason. The SEC gets a lot of gaudy rankings every October. Where will they be in April? That's all that matters.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 10/30/14 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
Looks alright too me.

Sure, it's preseason. The SEC gets a lot of gaudy rankings every October. Where will they be in April? That's all that matters.

I think that The three teams in the top five. They will all be improved this year. Tennessee returns four starters. Also has a game changer on the team DeShields. That will help in practice.

Dennis1361

PostPosted: 10/30/14 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Polls always remind me of the HS polls such as "Cutest Couple" etc., especially pre-season ones

Phil

PostPosted: 10/30/14 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
Looks alright too me.

I think that The three teams in the top five. They will all be improved this year. Tennessee returns four starters. Also has a game changer on the team DeShields. That will help in practice.

I think TN will be improved, and I see a good shot at a final four, but linking it to DD helping out with practices is a stretch.

Phil

PostPosted: 10/30/14 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

3?

OK, TAMU is No 5. I don't know who should be ranked higher than those 3. I wasn't saying they are ranked wrong, just that a conference with zero FF teams for the last 6 years has 3 teams picked this year. Last year Tenn got a vote for No. 1 and has been a FF pick in 4 of the last 7 preseason polls, including this one. They failed, not getting there even once.

I guess my point is that in predictions, once you get past UConn and Notre Dame the drop off is straight down. Not in talent. In results.

I get your point. The SEC often gets a lot of votes in pre-season. That carries over into regular season as many SEC teams TN excepted, have played cupcake schedules. Then they beat each other up in conference play, but keep their ratings, because, after all, they are losing to ranked teams.

Then post-season arrives, and they under-perform. Not always, but sometimes.

So I get that when a conference hasn't sent a team to the FF in six years. it might raise eyebrows to pick three to be in the top 5. But remember, zero in six years means you don;t count TAMU in 2011, because they weren't in the SEC then. They are now, and they are one of the three. On one hand, they seem less solid than some of the others, but they lost to UConn by 15 last year, which would normally mean they weren't all that strong, but 15 points is closer than anyone else managed in the last tournament, so maybe they were the second strongest team last year? Who knows.

I think TN may be in the rare situation of improving with graduation, and that's before considering frosh. SC has a top notch coach, whose team is improving fast, added talent and lost little so while #2 is lofty territory for a team that hasn't really proven themselves, I think top 4 is warranted.

Having said that, I bet I'll be wrong and those three won't end in the top 5, but I don't know which one or more is wrong, so I'm fine with the top few in general.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/30/14 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

3?

Err, Stanford which has made 6 of the past 7 Final Four says hello if you're talking about results.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: