RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Predict your conference 2014-15
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 10/22/14 5:02 pm    ::: Predict your conference 2014-15 Reply Reply with quote

Thought I would start one of my favorite posts we usually do every year and I'm seeing all these polls so we're a little behind.

Predict the finishing order of your favorite conference

PAC-12
1. Stanford
1. Cal
3. UCLA
4. Oregon State
5. Washington
6. Washington State
7. Arizona State
8. USC
9. Oregon
10. Colorado
11. Utah
12. Arizona

POY - Nirra Fields, UCLA
COY - Cori Close
Newcomer - Jordin Canada, UCLA

Not trying to be a homer (I am a UCLA STH) however, I think OSU, Stanford and Cal coaches may not win the COY because they'll be in similar spots to last year. If UCLA lands where expected, they'll have improved the most over last year making Close the favorite in my estimation.

I don't think there's a dominant player in the Pac-12 like Ogwumike so I'm thinking it'll go to Nirra Fields who's faced tough competition at the World Championships. I also think Brittany Boyd, Rashanda Gray or Jazmin Davis are favorites to win as well. For newcomer, I'm thinking Jordin Canada simply because UCLA needs a starting point guard and she may get a lot of playing time. I think Gabby Green at Cal may also be a favorite if she's as good as advertised. I'm hearing rumblings that Taylor Rooks at Stanford is really good.

I put Cal and Stanford tied for no. 1 because I'm not 100-percent convinced Cal will win it all. I give the slight edge to Cal because of Boyd and Gray but I think that Stanford will be better at winning the games they should. I'm thinking the seniors at Stanford (Orrange, Greenfield, B. Samuelson) will step up markedly and improvement by the sophomores (Thompson, Johnson, K. Samuelson and McCall) could push Stanford to match Cal. Also, Cal's depth is really in question, particularly at the guard position. While defensively, they'll create a lot of match-up problems with their talented albeit young wings, they'll struggle against teams that can shoot the three and can spread the floor. Boyd and Gray will also have to stay out of foul trouble in order for Cal to stay on top.

I think the rest of the Pac-12 is toss-up and will be difficult to predict. Oregon State may be the most consistent and UCLA will finally have depth and is likely a team that comes on strong in February, but 3-8 will be extremely competitive. I could be wrong about USC and Arizona State as they will be strong defensively, but can they score enough points to finish higher?

Last edited by fancy_daniel on 10/23/14 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/22/14 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pacific 12: Stanford's No More

1. Oregon State
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. California
5. Arizona State
6. USC
7. Washington
8. Utah
9. Washington State
10. Oregon
11. Colorado
12. Arizona

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 10/22/14 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Stanford
2. Cal
3. UCLA
4. OSU
5. USC
6. Washington
7. ASU
8. Wazzu
9. Utah
10. Oregon
11. Colorado
12. 'Zona

COY: Tara
POY: Reshanda Grey
ROY: Canada

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/22/14 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. DePaul
2. St. Johns
3. Creighton
4. Villanova
5. Marquette
6. Seton Hall
7. Georgetown
8. Providence
9. Butler

COY- Doug Bruno (DePaul)
POY - Brittany Hrynko (DePaul)
FOY - Kenisha Bell (Marquette)

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/22/14 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big East

1: DePaul - Unlike last year it's not theirs to lose...they lose some seniors but keep Ristovsky who is a Bomber and Hrynko who's clutch and a prospect. Still should stay on top but will have competent teams breathing down their necks.

2: Seton Hall - A LOT of experience and depth...depth wins the games you shouldn't. Simmons and Simmons is a deadly backcourt up there with the best in the game...Tab Richardson Smith is a scoring machine while they have good defenders in the post. Survive the Non Con and they will be a legit threat.

3. St. John's - Best backcourt in the conference. Thompson is a beast in the paint...But all rookies and transfers after that. Recruited a lot of size but I think they will struggle up front. If Jade Walker can't cure her jazzhands drawing contact fouls, No Six tonight, we have a headache. The Cal Transfer is intriguing but too many question marks for me to pick them 2nd. I'll put my boom or bust warning on this one. But do remember the Johnnies are known to spend the Non Con in the Lab then EXPLODE in the conference...so cannot be counted out even with a slow start.

4 - Creighton: Janning is scary good...upstaged the valley player of the year and a solid team...Still this team loses a bit and needs to prove they're not a 1 player team. Protoypical Bubble dweller.

_______________________NCAA LINE_____________________________

5 - Villanova: Harry has a talent in Coyer. But his style works best with holes in talent. Always a pest always a wild card but kept in check this year. Also Harry was sounding the Injury Klaxon at Media day, who knows but better to err on caution.

6 - Georgetown: Adair comes into a mess...no doubt, and losing butler is a blow to the head. But they have talent and she brought in young talent...a Spoiler but Adair is a good coach and has some players...they were not as bad as their record last year and was a major spoiler late...and that was with Jim (The mystics fans STILL have joke books about him) Lewis at the helm

7 - Providence: I know there is a TON of hype of this as a breakout school...and Robinson Fructl is that good...But I think it's one more year for the Friars (Or to keep it Gender Correct, Flying Nuns Wink )

8 - Marquette: Lost quite a bit...think they will take flight later in the season but be out of the race early...lost seniors and transistioning to a new coach.

9 - Butler: Painful coach firing and lost a Lot of seniors but do have some talent...Expecting some fight out of these dogs under their new coach.

10 - X Still recovering from the Epic Fail of Amy Waugh...this will take 4-5 years to fix...until then about as reliable as a Dee Dee Jurnigan Layup.

PostPosted: 10/22/14 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll get a mid-major league up on the board:

WAC:

1. CSU-Bakersfield. Returns POY and HM A-A Tyonna Outland and has a strong supporting cast.

2. New Mexico State. Coaches and media picked the Aggies 3rd and 5th but also said NMSU has two of the WACs best 6 players in juniors Sasha Weber and Abby Scott. Small but will be more balanced and unselfish this year.

3. UT-Pan American. Returns FOY Shawn'te Goff and has a strong recruiting class.

4. Utah Valley. Adds JC All-America Patrice Toston, but leading scorer Katie Kuklok transferred to Utah. Raih Spooner-Knight is first team pre season All WAC.

5. Seattle. The big three of Kacie Sowell, Ashley Ward and Sylvia Shephard have graduated, but coaching and momentum from the last couple of seasons could carry Redhawks higher.

6. Kansas City. Significant losses but roster isn't bad.

7. Grand Canyon. Lost all five starters and some of the bench.

8. Chicago State. Winless in WAC play last season.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/22/14 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

T-1. Cal 14-4
T-1. Oregon State 14-4
T-3. Stanford 13-5
T-3. UCLA 13-5
5. Washington 12-6
6. Oregon 10-8
7. Washington State 9-9
8. Arizona State 7-11
9. USC 6-12
10. Utah 5-13
11. Colorado 4-14
12. Arizona 1-17

I'm completely at a loss for words at all the USC love on here. Don't get it.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/23/14 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
T-1. Cal 14-4
T-1. Oregon State 14-4
T-3. Stanford 13-5
T-3. UCLA 13-5
5. Washington 12-6
6. Oregon 10-8
7. Washington State 9-9
8. Arizona State 7-11
9. USC 6-12
10. Utah 5-13
11. Colorado 4-14
12. Arizona 1-17

Because USC has the 3rd or 4th most talent in the conference. In one season, Cooper-Dyke brought a team from bad to an NCAA tournament team. She also had one of the better recruiting classes in the conference for this year. JMO. They lose Harbets, but she was undersized and a liability at te line. They lose Crook. That will be the biggest question mark. Who steps up in her role.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/23/14 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Big East

1: DePaul - Unlike last year it's not theirs to lose...they lose some seniors but keep Ristovsky who is a Bomber and Hrynko who's clutch and a prospect. Still should stay on top but will have competent teams breathing down their necks.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I think this year we have even more of a gap than last year. We lost one major contributor in Jazmine Penny, but offense really isn't a problem for this team. Those points will be made up. The major weaknesses last year were rebounding and height in the post. Harvey-Carr has been making major strides in the offseason. She's 6"4. We have a top 100 recruit at power forward (Marte Grays), who brings more depth and athletisism, and freshmen Elri Liebenberg who is 6"5+. Our backcourt is probably the best in the Big East. Chanise Jenkins and Brittany Hrynko both averaged over 5 apg and Megan Rogowski is one of the top 3 pt shooters in not just the conference, but the country.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/23/14 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

10 - X Still recovering from the Epic Fail of Amy Waugh...this will take 4-5 years to fix...until then about as reliable as a Dee Dee Jurnigan Layup.

g1 Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/23/14 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. OSU
2. Stanford
3. Cal
4. UCLA
5. Washington
6. USC
7. Wazzu
8. Oregon
9. ASU
10. Utah
11. Colorado
12. 'Zona

I really have no idea but think a healthy OSU could be really dangerous this year - shout out to what Rueck has accomplished. And while I want to think Cal will finish second, they always manage to do something stupid to lose games they should win.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 10/23/14 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/23/14 11:39 am    ::: Disagree Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
T-1. Cal 14-4
T-1. Oregon State 14-4
T-3. Stanford 13-5
T-3. UCLA 13-5
5. Washington 12-6
6. Oregon 10-8
7. Washington State 9-9
8. Arizona State 7-11
9. USC 6-12
10. Utah 5-13
11. Colorado 4-14
12. Arizona 1-17

Because USC has the 3rd or 4th most talent in the conference. In one season, Cooper-Dyke brought a team from bad to an NCAA tournament team. She also had one of the better recruiting classes in the conference for this year. JMO. They lose Harbets, but she was undersized and a liability at te line. They lose Crook. That will be the biggest question mark. Who steps up in her role.

Have to disagree on Harberts, she was a workhorse for USC, they have no one to replace her, Simon is even more undersized and slow and Onkonkwo has no real position.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 10/23/14 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I really have no idea but think a healthy OSU could be really dangerous this year - shout out to what Rueck has accomplished.

No disrespect to Rueck and what he's done in Corvallis, because it really is very substantial, but my question: who has OSU beaten? What was their biggest victory last season?

Looking at RPI, Oregon State's most impressive win in 2013-14 was at home against #33 ASU. Its best road victory was at #56 Wazzu. Oregon State went 2-7 in its games against teams that made the NCAA Tournament last year. None of which is to say that Oregon State *won't* be conference champions this year. Just to say that I gotta see at least one marquee victory before I hand 'em a scepter.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/23/14 11:59 am    ::: Re: Disagree Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
T-1. Cal 14-4
T-1. Oregon State 14-4
T-3. Stanford 13-5
T-3. UCLA 13-5
5. Washington 12-6
6. Oregon 10-8
7. Washington State 9-9
8. Arizona State 7-11
9. USC 6-12
10. Utah 5-13
11. Colorado 4-14
12. Arizona 1-17

Have to disagree on Harberts, she was a workhorse for USC, they have no one to replace her, Simon is even more undersized and slow and Onkonkwo has no real position.

Vaioletama can play down low. Edelman is a possibility who is 6"4. Horn and Onkonkwo if they make some strides. I do think Harbets was a huge part of the offense, but she definetly had some weaknesses that others on the team are better at. Time will tell.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 10/23/14 12:12 pm    ::: Re: Disagree Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Never saw Okonkwo play, so I can't comment on her, but I watched Simon 2 or 3 different times last season and came away very impressed each time. When Windward visited LB Poly, she (at least in my opinion) clearly got the better of Drummer. Given Simon's weight, she's got a surprising amount of athleticism, and seemed to have soft hands besides.

I would've *loved* to have seen Simon in powderkeg blue, and I really think she's gonna do very well in that unfortunate ketchup and mustard jersey she's now wearing. She may not fill Harbert's shoes right away, but ultimately she's gonna make plenty of noise for the WoT, I believe.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/23/14 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

for another mid-major, here's The Ugly American:

1- UConn
-----------------NCAA line------------------------
2-lord
3-please
4-deliver
5-me
6-from
7-this
8-embarrassment
9-of
10-a
11-conference.

Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 10/23/14 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
I'll get a mid-major league up on the board:

WAC:

1. CSU-Bakersfield
2. New Mexico State
3. UT-Pan American
4. Utah Valley
5. Seattle
6. Kansas City
7. Grand Canyon
8. Chicago State

Is this league going to survive? I mean, this is such a complete mish-mash of schools located in 3 different time zones with very little financial resources. This has disaster written all over it.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 10/23/14 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@purdue, great question. I have no idea.

The plus is that, despite the "mish-mash" you've got some great cities in there: Seattle, Phoenix, Chicago, KC. People assume Orem and Las Cruces are hillbilly towns, but they lie within an hour of El Paso and Salt Lake City so with a couple of exceptions you can sell recruits on the travel destinations and have an enormous population base.

However, despite not being very good at football, NMSU is FBS and would jump at a full-time slot in the Sun Belt -- where football plays now along with former WAC rival Idaho -- or the Mountain West (over UNMs dead body Sad ). Seattle deeply desires a return to the WCC but similarly is blocked by Gonzaga and Portland, who want no part of a new school in their area located in the biggest city and playing in a former NBA arena (MBB, WBB plays most games in the 900-seat Connolly Center).

Three years ago, the WAC already looked like a mish-mash but at least still had some state u's other than NMSU -- Utah State, Idaho, Texas State as well as UT-SA, San Jose State and LaTech. Current format will definitely change more or fold in the future.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/23/14 1:32 pm    ::: Re: Disagree Reply Reply with quote

[quote="patsweetpat"]
Nixtreefan wrote:

Never saw Okonkwo play, so I can't comment on her, but I watched Simon 2 or 3 different times last season and came away very impressed each time. When Windward visited LB Poly, she (at least in my opinion) clearly got the better of Drummer. Given Simon's weight, she's got a surprising amount of athleticism, and seemed to have soft hands besides. "

I would've *loved* to have seen Simon in powderkeg blue, and I really think she's gonna do very well in that unfortunate ketchup and mustard jersey she's now wearing. She may not fill Harbert's shoes right away, but ultimately she's gonna make plenty of noise for the WoT, I believe.[/

Sorry Pat you're sweet n all but Simon will struggle to even make it through Coops practices;) Just as I wasn't surprised by the Crook Wink situation, I would have no problem betting money that she will never fill Harberts shoes.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/23/14 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My ACC prediction

1 Notre Dame
2 UNC
3 Duke
4 Louisville
5 Syracuse
6 Florida State
7 Georgia Tech

Next Tier (no particular order)
UVA
NC ST
Miami
Wake Forest

Bottom Tier (no particular order)
Virginia Tech
Boston College
Clemson
Pittsburgh

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/23/14 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
The plus is that, despite the "mish-mash" you've got some great cities in there: Seattle, Phoenix, Chicago, KC. People assume Orem and Las Cruces are hillbilly towns, but they lie within an hour of El Paso and Salt Lake City so with a couple of exceptions you can sell recruits on the travel destinations and have an enormous population base.

True, a few great cities indeed...but those don't pay the bills. Travel costs for all those sports is going to make this pretty tough to maintain especially considering they cannot command a big TV deal with this lineup.

dtrain34 wrote:
However, despite not being very good at football, NMSU is FBS and would jump at a full-time slot in the Sun Belt -- where football plays now along with former WAC rival Idaho -- or the Mountain West (over UNMs dead body Sad ).

Yeah, New Mexico State definitely sticks out within this grouping.

dtrain34 wrote:
Current format will definitely change more or fold in the future.

Agree completely...I just can't see these schools being able to sustain this financially for more than a couple of years.

leeshajo

PostPosted: 10/23/14 3:03 pm    ::: Re: Predict your conference 2014-15 Reply Reply with quote

Summit League -

1. South Dakota State University

2. University Of South Dakota
3. IUPUI
4. Western Illinois

5. Denver
6. Fort Wayne

7. North Dakota State
8. Omaha
9. Oral Roberts

SDSU should be heads and shoulders above everyone else. USD is the one team I can see challenging us for two reasons, they are instate rivals and they have a lot of talent on their team. I just don't think anyone is going to have the legs to keep up with us this season in the Summit.

The team I would like to see shock me is NDSU. They were actually picked last in our league's preseason poll but they have a new coach and honestly, I want them to get better. In my mind NDSU women's team should be top 3 year in and year out with SDSU. To much history there to stay down for long.

On the whole, I think our league is getting stronger and will go out and win some games.

Omaha is in its last year of transition and will be a good, solid team moving forward. Oral Roberts is in its first year back in the Summit. Don't know much about their team this year yet, so they may surprise me, as well, I just know they didn't do much last year.

PostPosted: 10/23/14 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purdue: Agree completely...I just can't see these schools being able to sustain this financially for more than a couple of years.[/quote]

Two related things do help prop up the conference:

1. As long as they keep six-plus schools from year to year, the WAC has automatic bids to the NCAA MBB and WBB tournaments. That's a draw for schools like Chi State and UMKC who came from non-bid leagues or D2 move up Grand Canyon.

2. The NCAA pays out the tournament shares over time to conferences based on how many games its teams play. Even though the WAC has not been a big success in post-season, the on-going teams, which come to think about it may be down to NMSU and perhaps Seattle inherited the shares of outgoing teams like LaTech, Fresno, Utah State that have not been fully paid out yet.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/23/14 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
My ACC prediction

1 Notre Dame
2 UNC
3 Duke
4 Louisville
5 Syracuse
6 Florida State
7 Georgia Tech

Next Tier (no particular order)
UVA
NC ST
Miami
Wake Forest

Bottom Tier (no particular order)
Virginia Tech
Boston College
Clemson
Pittsburgh

I have them 2 spots lower, but other than that, you're spot on. I just question if they can finish above those other 2 unless Sykes is 100% healthy. Butler is good enough to carry them through their easier games, but they need someone to step up at point and down low if they're gonna finish that high. I can't see Duke finishing below 3rd, Johnson & Greenwell are going to be a surprisingly good backcourt to go along with all those posts. Allisha Gray is going to be an AA this year (and will go on to dominate DeShields if they ever play ). Laughing

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 10/23/14 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SEC
Tennessee
South Carolina
Texas A&M
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Alabama
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: