RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How many schools can afford this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 10/30/14 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The people who run the USGA get paid for doing a job, the winners of the US Amateur or US Public Links championships don't get paid. The local golf pro and groundskeepers get paid, the players on the golf course don't. The football, swimming, basketball, baseball, and other coaches from grade school, middle school, high school, and college get paid, the players don't. Why do you hate amateur athletics so?

All true but you fail to mention that in golf, a player can turn pro and then regain their amateur status. Are you suggesting that sort of amateurism in collegiate sports? That would mean that a college footballer could go pro after his freshman year and if he was cut he could then sit out a season and then return to his college team? I see all sorts of problems.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/30/14 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
The Pac-12 made a very interesting move: Instead of punishing kids for transferring within the conference, it will reward them -- transfers will be immediately eligible, I believe, if they move from one Pac-12 school to another.

This is surprisingly rational, as it keeps the conference strong even if it has a negative impact on a particular school.

I'm curious to see how this plays out, as it may be that the Power 5 conferences all only allow intra-conference transfers to be penalty free. Still, it's a big step forward, I think, and I'm sure it will be imitated by the other big schools.

I think the change is transfers are immediately eligible to receive a scholarship, not immediately eligible to play.

That's what I read as well.

I stand corrected -- it was too much to hope that colleges would give players the same opportunities they give administrators in the same business.

The Pac-12 can't just change NCAA rules. Even if they wanted to eliminate the 1 year sit out rule, they couldn't do it.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/30/14 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

What the PAC is doing is the right answer. The one year sit-out rule is necessary to prevent chaos. And that rule should be black and white - no waivers, no exceptions. But there has never been a justification for conferences to deny a player a scholarship for a year.

I'm not exactly sure what chaos it prevents, all the other sports that don't have a one year sit out rule aren't full of chaos. In women's basketball specifically, I don't think their would be much chaos, but as long as men's basketball is the way it is, women's basketball will have the one year sit out rule.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/14 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What the PAC is doing is the right answer. The one year sit-out rule is necessary to prevent chaos. And that rule should be black and white - no waivers, no exceptions. But there has never been a justification for conferences to deny a player a scholarship for a year.

I'm not exactly sure what chaos it prevents, all the other sports that don't have a one year sit out rule aren't full of chaos. In women's basketball specifically, I don't think their would be much chaos, but as long as men's basketball is the way it is, women's basketball will have the one year sit out rule.

Not sure what sports you're referring to that don't have a sit out requirement. The general NCAA that if you are attending a four year school and are attending another four year school you are not eligible to play at the new four-year school until you spend an academic year in residence
at that new school is not sport specific.

There are exceptions for transfers to/from junior colleges, and to different NCAA Divisions, and there are some additional limitations for mid-year transfers in baseball and basketball, but where in the rules do you find this list of "all the other sports that don't have a one year sit out rule". A citation to the rule would be helpful.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 10/30/14 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Not sure what sports you're referring to that don't have a sit out requirement. The general NCAA that if you are attending a four year school and are attending another four year school you are not eligible to play at the new four-year school until you spend an academic year in residence

There are exceptions for transfers to/from junior colleges, and to different NCAA Divisions, and there are some additional limitations for mid-year transfers in baseball and basketball, but where in the rules do you find this list of "all the other sports that don't have a one year sit out rule". A citation to the rule would be helpful.

The NCAA has no one-year sit out rule for softball as long as the player is granted a release from their previous school . The SEC has a one year sit out rule for transfers within the conference . South Carolina's catcher in 2014 , Sarah Mooney , played at James Madison in 2013 . Mooney's first choice to transfer was North Carolina , but evidently there was some hard feelings between JMU and UNC and they would not release her to transfer to UNC .
Also , South Carolina had a pitcher in 2013 from Texas named Katie Marks . Marks father became terminally ill and she was released by South Carolina to transfer to Texas A&M near her home . She had to get a waiver from the SEC in order to pitch in 2014 .
I would be willing to bet some of the other minor sports have rules similar to softball . Baseball was the same way 5 or 6 years ago , but baseball is a whole different can of worms now .

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/14 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

The NCAA has no one-year sit out rule for softball as long as the player is granted a release from their previous school . The SEC has a one year sit out rule for transfers within the conference . South Carolina's catcher in 2014 , Sarah Mooney , played at James Madison in 2013 . Mooney's first choice to transfer was North Carolina , but evidently there was some hard feelings between JMU and UNC and they would not release her to transfer to UNC .
Also , South Carolina had a pitcher in 2013 from Texas named Katie Marks . Marks father became terminally ill and she was released by South Carolina to transfer to Texas A&M near her home . She had to get a waiver from the SEC in order to pitch in 2014 .
I would be willing to bet some of the other minor sports have rules similar to softball . Baseball was the same way 5 or 6 years ago , but baseball is a whole different can of worms now .

Can you identify the rule that makes softball any different than any other sport, because I can't find one. I think you need a waiver, exactly like football or basketball, in order to play right away.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 10/30/14 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think it's different for most of the minor sports . Hell , we had three transfers from our volleyball team a couple of years ago . They went on to play at Texas Tech , College of Charleston, and UAB . None sat out a year . Our starting libero this year played her first two years at Pepperdine . Never sat out a year when she transferred . If I wanted to sit down and go through old media guides , I could probably find a lot more examples for these two sports .
The one-year sit out rule for in conference transfers in these sports is actually pretty new . We had a softball pitcher that pitched one year at South Carolina a few years back and then transferred to Georgia . She was released and pitched against South Carolina the very next season . We beat her that year but she eventually became the ace of their staff .

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/31/14 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It is not as free flowing as I thought. But all sports except for baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's ice hockey and football at the Division I level have a one-time transfer exception, which basically means if the current school gives permission the athlete does not have to sit out a year, where as in basketball the athlete has to sit out a year no matter what unless the NCAA allows for an exception. And if the current school (first school) doesn't submit a written response within 7 business days of the written request for a release the default position is a release.

This rule can be found at the bottom of page 21 in the link below.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2014.pdf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: