RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dangerfield commits to UConn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zorro

PostPosted: 10/19/14 5:56 pm    ::: Dangerfield commits to UConn Reply Reply with quote

Dangerfield commits to UConn. http://on.sny.tv/1wiec63

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/19/14 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is Crystal Dangerfield as a freshman. Peach State says she is comparable to Moriah Jefferson at that age but a better scorer.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N7rsxHO8FkM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/19/14 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some more videos:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bhRKWemVom4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wYIWFn4XgR8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/19/14 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, Glen. The beat goes on.

PostPosted: 10/20/14 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stockpiling. More power to you guys. Can't argue with all these elites choosing to go there. Proven winners is an understatement. Congrats?! Dayum. LOL!

Beemer

PostPosted: 10/20/14 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wooooooooooooo!!!!

Welcome to UConn Crystal!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/20/14 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is Women's Basketball...UConn now with at least 3 top rated PGs on their roster...and why it's hard for other programs to compete on a level playing field. Men seem to be much more self-confident and willing to spread out amongst various programs and try to win.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/20/14 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She'll get respect, I'll tell ya. Razz
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/20/14 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
This is Women's Basketball...UConn now with at least 3 top rated PGs on their roster...and why it's hard for other programs to compete on a level playing field. Men seem to be much more self-confident and willing to spread out amongst various programs and try to win.

I think there's a lot more depth on the men's side (a significant percentage of the athletes with the requisite size and skills don't play other sports (mainly volleyball)).

Just the fact that there are 30 NBA teams and 12 WNBA teams should say something ...

PostPosted: 10/20/14 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:

If I had the talent to maybe play in the WNBA one season I would want to be playing for UConn too. Other coaches have to figure out what to do to get these players. Of all of the locations these kids can go to school and they choose Storrs. Geno must be doing something right.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 10/20/14 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plenty of other schools put players into the WNBA.

RP

PostPosted: 10/20/14 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
UConn now with at least 3 top rated PGs on their roster...

Jefferson and Dangerfield are four years apart, however.

sammieee

PostPosted: 10/20/14 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

Kia Nurse plays PG as well. I think Sadie Edwards is a combo guard? It seems a lot of people are forgetting Nurse, who will probably be the starting PG after Jefferson graduates, and not Dangerfield.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/21/14 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
RP wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

Kia Nurse plays PG as well. I think Sadie Edwards is a combo guard? It seems a lot of people are forgetting Nurse, who will probably be the starting PG after Jefferson graduates, and not Dangerfield.

Crystal will be in the same situation as an incoming freshman that currently exists between Jefferson and Nurse. Jefferson now a junior is the starting PG while Nurse, the freshman is the heir apparent and therefore understudy who will spell Jeffrson consistently at the point as well as play along side her. The exact same scenario will exist with Dangerfield in conjunction with Nurse. When she arrives Crystal will be the understudy and occasionally playing along side Nurse and subbing for her at the point.

PostPosted: 10/25/14 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

If I had the talent to maybe play in the WNBA one season I would want to be playing for UConn too. Other coaches have to figure out what to do to get these players. Of all of the locations these kids can go to school and they choose Storrs. Geno must be doing something right.

Well, maybe he guarantees 'em a spot on Team USA! (Shocked WHO said that!! <bites tongue!>)

Obviously, Geno does a LOT of things "right". Really. He's a helluva coach in all regards. And yes, it'd be nice if more of the elite talent were spread around, but honestly, there's a TON of "elite" kids going elsewhere, too--check out UCLA and S. Carolina's current recruits. Not ALL coaches can take that talent and do as much as he does. I can easily understand why a talented kid wants to go to UConn: to become The Best!

The other part of this equation is we fans have to remember (when we're thinking UConn gets ALL the Good Ones) something that bears itself out, over and over again: High Recruit Rankings does not always lead directly to NCs....many of these kids, whether it be injuries or simply being over-hyped, don't all become megastars.

Does Geno get the Cream of The Classes? Yep. And he's earned that. He's got a helluva track record.

PostPosted: 10/26/14 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno gets the difference makers (#1 recruits).

When he had Diana he won 3 NC. Without Taurasi, then went on a four year drought until he got Charles and Moore (both #1 recruits). Keep in mind Strother was considered a #1 recruit by some services. She obviously didn't pan out. After Charles graduated, UConn went on a 2 year drought. They won again when they had #1 (or #2 on some services) KML and #1 Stewert (who is considered in the DT/Parker/Moore/Griner type of difference maker). He also had a bunch of top rated recruits as well. Imagine if EDD had stayed. Yikes!! Tennessee won 2 NC with Parker, and 3 with Holdsclaw. Griner only 1 (which is a huge disappointment, considering the cast she had). And then, you have a random team like Texas A&M, Baylor (Sophia Young led team), Maryland that will win one every few years.

Once Stewert and Jefferson graduates in 2 years, I'm not sure they are the favorites. Depending on how the 2016 recruiting go, both South Carolina and ND may actually have more talent.

UCONN will have Samuelson, who is rated #1 on many services (though imo, I would take Durr 10 times out of 10, and I might even take Collier over KLS).

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/26/14 5:35 pm    ::: Not me Reply Reply with quote

I may be miffed about TVD not closing on this recruit but I would take her as 1 in a heartbeat, 6' 3" can play multiple positions, has the higher IQ of any of her peers. Durr is skilled but seems to need to dominate the ball and disappears when not on point. I would take Ogunbowale over Collier as it was clear from the 3 on 3 team that she was overmatched against tougher competition as opposed to both Samuelson and Ogunbowale.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 10/27/14 10:39 am    ::: Re: Not me Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I may be miffed about TVD not closing on this recruit but I would take her as 1 in a heartbeat, 6' 3" can play multiple positions, has the higher IQ of any of her peers. Durr is skilled but seems to need to dominate the ball and disappears when not on point. I would take Ogunbowale over Collier as it was clear from the 3 on 3 team that she was overmatched against tougher competition as opposed to both Samuelson and Ogunbowale.

Disagree on Collier. She struggled scoring against the Netherlands but was the best defender and rebounder in that game and throughout the tournament (was usa's leading scorer also). She played very well in the semifinal game. She is the best athlete of the 3 and may end up the best collegiate player. She was terrific on the U-18 team this summer as well.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/27/14 11:13 am    ::: Compared to who Reply Reply with quote

Ogunbowale and KLS (even with a bad ankle) were the best all around players in the game, the Nederlands were the competition. Just like the Fiba U18 was crappy competition so were all the earlier games. Collier did not keep Fokke. In front of her.

I have seen all these players, Collier has not played against the level of competition that Durr, Ogunbowale , KLS has etc.

Colliers best part of her game is around the basket, in the open court she struggles with her handles with any kind of pressure. She also has a problem with spaciing and making the early pass, like she doesn't see it soon enough, there were a number of occasions that she took her man in the path of Boykin when Boykin was making a move to the basket. Even at trials I heard that U 18 was less competitive. I would have expected her to be a complete standout but heard she was just solid.

With all the international talk I wonder if anyone has said come "meet the Fokke".

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/27/14 3:02 pm    ::: Re: Compared to who Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Ogunbowale and KLS (even with a bad ankle) were the best all around players in the game, the Nederlands were the competition. Just like the Fiba U18 was crappy competition so were all the earlier games. Collier did not keep Fokke. In front of her.

I have seen all these players, Collier has not played against the level of competition that Durr, Ogunbowale , KLS has etc.

Colliers best part of her game is around the basket, in the open court she struggles with her handles with any kind of pressure. She also has a problem with spaciing and making the early pass, like she doesn't see it soon enough, there were a number of occasions that she took her man in the path of Boykin when Boykin was making a move to the basket. Even at trials I heard that U 18 was less competitive. I would have expected her to be a complete standout but heard she was just solid.

With all the international talk I wonder if anyone has said come "meet the Fokke".

Collier has looked outstanding in all the times I've seen her, but she did not shoot well in the 3x3 finals. I would choose to base my opinion on the sum of my observations, not just on the instance where she didn't perform well. The year before in the Team USA 3x3 trials, Collier's team almost upset the excellent team of Turner, Samuelson, Ogunbowale, and Green that would later win the gold.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: