RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will UConn miss more: Dolson or Hartley?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will UConn miss more?
Stefanie Dolson
81%
 81%  [ 27 ]
Bria Hartley
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 33

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/18/14 2:02 pm    ::: Who will UConn miss more: Dolson or Hartley? Reply Reply with quote

And why.
linkster

PostPosted: 10/18/14 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barring injuries neither will be missed in the sense that people will wish they were still there playing. Despite both being first round WNBA draft picks after being 4 year starters, neither led the team in scoring in any of those years. Last season they combined to score 29 points/gm but UConn won by an average of 35 points. Dolson did lead the team in rebounding but she had 9.3/gm in her 32 minutes while Stokes, her replacement, averaged 7.1/gm in her 18 minutes. With the same disparity in minutes they both averaged 2.3 blocks/gm. The numbers back up my impression watching last year that Stokes was both a better rebounder, a better shot blocker & also runs the floor better. The only possible loss is Dolson's perimeter shooting and her passing. What may be missed from Hartley is her leadership and her late game shooting but from all accounts Jefferson has the leadership issue covered while both Lewis and Stewart are better scoring options than Hartley ever was. And UConn has Chong, Williams, Nurse and Edwards fighting for her minutes.

What may be missed for a while is the efficiency of their halfcourt offense and the defense. Much of UConn's success is due to the precision in which they play. That precision will be compromised by the need to play the 4 freshmen however the in longer term the defense may end up even better.

Historically, UConn has missed 2 players, Taurasi and Moore. Each's graduation led to a multi-year failure to win the NC, with Taurasi's departure also resulting in missing the FF. As good as Hartley and Dolson were, neither rose to that level.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/18/14 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I picked Dolson. I agree with much of what linkster wrote, but one contribution that he neglected to mention was Dolson's skill in setting picks. Those picks were a big part of UConn's half-court offense, and while Stokes has the body to set picks, setting picks is also a great way to pick up fouls if you don't do it correctly. Given that UConn has only one eligible post on the bench, Kiah cannot be picking up unnecessary fouls while she learns the way to set picks without getting called for fouls.

The options that Geno has for Hartley's position are numerous, so if Chong doesn't work out, he has Nurse, Edwards and Williams ready to step up. The depth at the 2 also means that foul difficulty among this group will probably not be too crucial. It will be more problematic if Moriah gets in foul trouble, as Hartley could always slide over to the 1 if necessary. It would be a bit more sketchy if Chong, Edwards, or Nurse had to play the 1 for extensive minutes, as they haven't played PG at the college level yet.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/18/14 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson. Stokes is NOT Dolson.

PostPosted: 10/18/14 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
I picked Dolson. I agree with much of what linkster wrote, but one contribution that he neglected to mention was Dolson's skill in setting picks. .

I actually started to mention that but then I remembered that many posters have called them fouls rather than picks and I left it out.

Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 10/18/14 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Historically, UConn has missed 2 players, Taurasi and Moore. Each's graduation led to a multi-year failure to win the NC

The lack of NC's coincided with Charles' departure, not Moore's.

Lobo's graduation also resulted in a NC drought.

PostPosted: 10/18/14 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Historically, UConn has missed 2 players, Taurasi and Moore. Each's graduation led to a multi-year failure to win the NC, with Taurasi's departure also resulting in missing the FF. As good as Hartley and Dolson were, neither rose to that level.

Maya Moore graduated in 2011. UConn won the National Championship in 2013 and 2014.

UConn will miss Hartley's ability to push the ball in transition and I don't think either Nurse or Chong will do it as well from the 2-guard spot. Still, the team will miss Dolson more at both ends. Although Stokes is a better defender and has a better instinct for rebounds, Dolson was the vocal leader of the defense and UConn will miss her big body in the lane. UConn's offense often ran through Dolson. She used her big body to set hard screens which put KML and Stewart in a lot of catch-and-shoot situations. She was also a tremendous passer with great vision who could quickly reverse the ball before defenses could adjust.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/18/14 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whose better, Stokes or Chong? There's a bit part of your answer.

I would say we'll miss Hartley more. Geno loves his senior guards, and to not have one..

I also think that, being as Stewart is a post player..or post is fine, and the only question mark the team really has is in the backcourt.

btw: Uconn didn't miss Moore in the slightest. They finished in exactly the same place. (FF to Notre Dame) and actually put up a better fight to a better Notre Dame team without Moore.

PostPosted: 10/19/14 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

btw: Uconn didn't miss Moore in the slightest. They finished in exactly the same place. (FF to Notre Dame) and actually put up a better fight to a better Notre Dame team without Moore.

You seem to forget that the main reason they lost that year was not the lack of quality players but a lack of numbers and depth. Gino pretty much recognized and called that early on. They lost to ND mainly because they ran out of gas during their game. Up until that time they looked and played pretty good ball.

RP

PostPosted: 10/19/14 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I like Hartley, she did not play well after the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament, and UConn still rolled. Dolson was one of the main reasons why.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 10/19/14 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, it is clearly Dolson. Besides the passing and screening already mentioned and that Stewart couldn't really be defended, most of the opponent's defense was based on where Dolson was, and in effect, that determined UCONN's offense.

chienboo

PostPosted: 10/19/14 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I may add my two cents. I found watchiing Hartley frustrating as hell. As good as every one says she was, I found her to be a ball-hog. Many a time on breaks when she was bringing up the ball and someone ahead was wide open, she would refuse to give up the ball. UGH!!! Mad Mad Mad

If Tuck's knee holds up and Stokes can learn to shoot the 10/15 footers the loss of either Dolson and /or Hartly will be ninimum, if at all. I blieve with the new four this team wil be faster and better defensively. I also think Shinaya Chong will be of no help. Just my humble/ancient opinion.
Wink Wink Wink

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/20/14 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just realized I had forgotten to give my reason for picking Dolson. I believe Hartley could be replaced more easily than Dolson. Dolson's place in the offense reminded me a lot of what Vladi Divac did for the Sac KIngs as a point center. That in out passing game opened up the offense and once he was gone so was the effectiveness of the their offense. Points and rebounds can be replaced but not the positives from Dolsons passing from her position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: