RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

espn projected uconn starting lineup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/17/14 10:52 pm    ::: espn projected uconn starting lineup Reply Reply with quote

via graphic during the stream of CT's "First Night" season kick-off event:

Jefferson, Lewis, Tuck, Stewart, Stokes.

Doubtful, imo. Not enough ball-handling/speed, and leaves Geno w/o a versatile spark plug off the bench.

My guess is Tuck will be that prized reserve while a guard from the frosh/soph class starts instead.

Good to see both Gampel filled w/ fans and all those former Huskies (men and women) carrying out the 13 NC trophies.

During the co-ed Blue/White scrimmage, Jefferson made a nice alley-oop pass to one of the men for a slam.

Game #1 in 28 days. (@UC Davis, the tune-up for @Stanfraud, 3 days later).

PostPosted: 10/18/14 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Saniya Chong exhibits more aggressiveness and better mentals in practice than she did last season -- anything akin to MoJeff's second year confidence improvement -- I expect her to start in the backcourt with Jefferson. She's a better ball handler and passer than KML and any of the freshman, and also a better outside shooter than any of them except KML.

If Tuck is fully recovered, which would be a medical marvel, and is in shape, which will be a conditioning challenge, she's a better basketball player than Stokes. Hence, it wouldn't surprise me if she gets more minutes than Stokes over the season and even eventually starts over her. In the early season, however, Tuck probably comes off the bench.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/18/14 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would absolutely STUNNED if UConn starts those 5, as it leaves no posts on the bench for substitution and leaves UConn slow at the 2. It makes far more sense to start Chong or one of the freshman at the 2, KML at the 3, Stewart at the 4, and Tuck or Stokes at the 5. Of course Moriah is at the 1. I would expect Stokes to start initially, as Glenn suggested, but I expect Tuck to get plenty of time by backing up both the 4 and the 5. UConn has tons of unproven guard depth, but is a little thin at the post. Still, their front court is 'hands-down' the best frontcourt in the nation, even without Dolson.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/18/14 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Fighting Artichoke"]I would absolutely STUNNED if UConn starts those 5, as it leaves no posts on the bench for substitution and leaves UConn slow at the 2. It makes far more sense to start Chong or one of the freshman at the 2, KML at the 3, Stewart at the 4, and Tuck or Stokes at the 5. Of course Moriah is at the 1. I would expect Stokes to start initially, as Glenn suggested, but I expect Tuck to get plenty of time by backing up both the 4 and the 5. UConn has tons of unproven guard depth, but is a little thin at the post. Still, their front court is 'hands-down' the best frontcourt in the nation, even without Dolson.[/qu ote]

I agree with you Arti, I think that Tuck comes off the bench. I see Nurse, as the only other true point guard on the team coming off the bench to spell Moriah. I see either Chong or Courtney Ekmark starting. Courtney of the four freshman is the best shooting guard of the lot and she is big. Stood next to her last night. No one is going to knock her off her drive. But then again it is Geno you never know what the mad scientist will do.
By the way any football games on tonight you are going to watch.
Wink

PostPosted: 10/18/14 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect that the brain trust that produced the comment that UConn has to be considered one of the top 3 schools coming into the season was the one who came up with that starting 5.

My guess is that someone just listed the 5 upperclassmen with no real information. While I think they will play together in situations calling for zone defenses, the most likely starter at the 2 is Chong. I expect her to also be the backup at pg, IMO her best position.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/18/14 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless Chong has made some big strides, I can't see her starting. While she showed some flashes early on, Geno totally lost faith in her by the end of the year.

- Amanda Gorman
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/18/14 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Unless Chong has made some big strides, I can't see her starting. While she showed some flashes early on, Geno totally lost faith in her by the end of the year.

True, Myrtke, but look at the leap Jefferson made in her second year. It wouldn't surprise me at all to have Chong start at the 2, but I think at least two of the freshman will see good playing time at the 1, 2, or 3.

Oldfan, I doubt that Ekmark will start at the 2, however, because she is not that fast defensively, so I think it will be any other freshman BUT her. I think if/when Courtney sees action, it would be at the 3, spelling KML.

Oh, and oldfan, I may catch a game tonight. I'll just have to check my local listings to see if there's a game that interests me. Laughing

chienboo

PostPosted: 10/19/14 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MoJeff, Nurse, KML, Stewart and Stkokes to start. Tuck first off the bench, Ekmark spells KML, Maybe, maybe Chong spells Nurse, The last two recruits split time as #2's....as Nurse spells MoJeff..... Smile Smile Smile

What the hell do I know.... Confused Confused Confused

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 10/19/14 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do expect Geno to play a front line of Stokes, Stewart and Tuck though I'd be surprised to see those 3 in his starting line-up. BTW, he did play KML at the 2-guard for several minutes in the first half of the championship game vs ND. Hartley was on the bench with fouls and Stokes replaced her. ND made its run when this lineup was in the game, btw.

ND played some triangle and 2 against UConn in the championship game and I expect to see more of that unless or until the players surrounding KML and Stewart prove they can make shots. The ability to make shots will determine who starts at the 2-guard.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/19/14 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
The ability to make shots will determine who starts at the 2-guard.

That sounds very reasonable. Modernists even call the position "shooting guard".

The starting lineup loses 82 three-point makes with graduation of Bria Hartley, the team leader last season in that stat. Dolson (8) and Banks (13) contributed 21 arc balls, which also are now gone.

Who's the best available outside shooter?

We have 56 games of data from Kia Nurse on Canadian provincial and national teams. She shot 40-128 on three-point shots in those 56 games, an average of 0.71 three-point makes per game at 31%.

Sporadic stats on Gabby Williams suggest she isn't a frequent three-point shooter and shot about 29% when uninjured in high school.

I've seen Sadie Edwards several times but don't have shooting stats. She has a decent but not great outside shot, from my recollection.

Courtney Ekmark has the reputation of being an outside shooter, but her high school shooting percentages don't seem to be available.

Saniya Chong -- not Sue Bird, not Bria Hartley, not anyone else -- has the most career three-point makes in NY State high school basketball. She also holds the first and second place spots in NYS for three-point makes in a season. She shot about 40% in the 16 HS games of hers that I filmed. At UConn she began the season with an amazing streak of hitting her first three-point shot in games, but tailed off to 32.3%. Still, she hit 30 on the season, only three less than Jefferson, who played almost twice as many minutes.

Chong is the best shooter of all the candidates, if her head doesn't fall off. She is also potentially the best passer on the team, in my statistically indemonstrable opinion.
chienboo

PostPosted: 10/20/14 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I beleive the word is udemostrable...again what do I know.... Confused Confused Confused

This is NOT last years team. I belive it will be faster and more defensive
than last year... thus less need for a 3 point shooting 2 guard. I need to see more from Chong than being a photo bomber.....Nurse I beleive has the more potential AT THis POINT... Idea Idea Idea

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/20/14 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ekmark is a very good shooter, at the same level as Chong, I'd estimate -- and is several inches taller.

But Chong is quicker, so my guess the defensive edge goes to Chong, plus a year's experience.

PostPosted: 10/20/14 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allow me to be a little more precise as to why I believe Nurse will be the starting 2. Stewy can shoot 3s, KML can shoot 3s, Tuck can shoot3s, and MoJef can stick them in from 3 if need be, plus Ekmark is a decent 3 shooter also if needed . What Nurse represents at 2, is the second comming Kelly Farris. Remember her? Damn I would love to see someone one like her on the floor again. Chong, as someone mentioned is a good passer and generally has good instincts. It woud not surprise me to see her playing some one. This team does not have to win by 30 or 35, 25 ponts will suffice. Anyway that's how I see it... Wink Wink Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: