RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Edgerkins: (SP?) Leaves LSU!! YIKES!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TNT

PostPosted: 10/04/14 3:01 pm    ::: Edgerkins: (SP?) Leaves LSU!! YIKES!! Reply Reply with quote

I have been less than impressed with our coaching staff, but Coach E seemed to be the "Staff Trooper," from recruiting to "X's and O's," now GONE?

Might Caldwell finally do what she SHOULD HAVE DONE WHEN SHE ARRIVED, consider to offer an assistant who was LSU's "power behind the throne of Sue/Pokey/Van C"??? Bob Starkey?

NOT RETAINING BOB STARKEY WAS A A HUGE MISTAKE by the new HC and seemingly struggling Nikki Caldwell. Having faced Starkey, in her stints hither and yon and particularly Tennessee, YOU WOULD THINK THAT CALDWELL would have recognized Starkey's ability.

I never understood the mindset of incoming coaches, and being blind to what makes a program tick.......STARKEY HAS BEEN A FORCE IN THE SEC FOR YEARS.

Before the FALL came the PRIDE Ms. Nikki...remember I told you ma'm! Smile

PostPosted: 10/05/14 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would you perhaps be speaking of ANGEL ELDERKIN? If you are, she took the head coaching job at Appalachian State. That would be a step up for her, and not a bad deal to be stepping out on her own.

PostPosted: 10/05/14 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to mention that I doubt she was such an integral part of LSU's staff, since she was only there, what, the one year? Two at the most? With varying stints, most short, at four or five other schools before that?

PostPosted: 10/07/14 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think LSU is that good at evaluating talent. I watched one of their transfer players play in a charity game over the summer and she wasn't that good. Also I've known several very talented kids that wanted to play for Caldwell where she opted for lesser kids. Angel was an active recruiter and put in the work I think it's a huge loss for them. She was highly respected and related to the kids. She did well at previous stops. That said LSU did get one kid a couple of years ago that I really liked.

tigermojo

PostPosted: 10/07/14 9:07 am    ::: Re: Edgerkins: (SP?) Leaves LSU!! YIKES!! Reply Reply with quote

TNT wrote:
I have been less than impressed with our coaching staff, but Coach E seemed to be the "Staff Trooper," from recruiting to "X's and O's," now GONE?

Might Caldwell finally do what she SHOULD HAVE DONE WHEN SHE ARRIVED, consider to offer an assistant who was LSU's "power behind the throne of Sue/Pokey/Van C"??? Bob Starkey?

NOT RETAINING BOB STARKEY WAS A A HUGE MISTAKE by the new HC and seemingly struggling Nikki Caldwell. Having faced Starkey, in her stints hither and yon and particularly Tennessee, YOU WOULD THINK THAT CALDWELL would have recognized Starkey's ability.

I never understood the mindset of incoming coaches, and being blind to what makes a program tick.......STARKEY HAS BEEN A FORCE IN THE SEC FOR YEARS.

Before the FALL came the PRIDE Ms. Nikki...remember I told you ma'm! Smile

I totally agree that she should have kept him on in some capacity, any job----just to keep him. He dedicated almost 3 decades of his life to LSU, and...

I hate to tell you, but I don't see much chance of his wanting to come back, unless maybe if Nikki and Joe Alleva both get on their knees and beg.

That 4th coaching spot has been a revolving door in the few years she's been there. I think this will be the 4th change. Tasha and Tony have been with her since the start of this disastrous ride she's taken us on.

As usual, she has multiple spots open and can't even fill them. This year she has 4, cuz she already brought in a '15 transfer from NORTH TEXAS of all places. when she did that, I knew were once again, in big trouble recruiting. I'm so disgusted with her lack of recruiting that I can't even see straight. She has, including this year's commit, 4 ranked players in 5 years (counting this year) That just sucks. sorry about another rant.

LitePal

PostPosted: 10/07/14 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She didn't keep anyone when she started at UCLA except for Pam Walker who became DOBO, sort of at the behest of the administration who wanted to keep her on. Her chosen staff knew nothing about the Southern California club or high school scene except for Staci Terry and promptly burned bridges with their attitude. It took her years to start to make friends but then she was off to LSU.

I think Tasha Butts plays good cop to Caldwell's bad cop but I don't think much of her as a coach. Tony Perotti should be selling shoes instead of coaching. His behavior at high school games when representing UCLA was disgraceful. I saw him thrown out of a game when he profaned a referee. Great image.

Some help in the assistant ranks is certainly needed but it's also a chemistry and ego problem. Caldwell's contract was extended to 2019 though without a raise. Administration has her back so now she has to put the pieces together. For me, she's similar to Carolyn Peck but without the national Championship.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/07/14 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come on now. Is it THAT unusual for a new coach to bring in their own team of assistants? Really? And why shouldn't they? Whether or not you like it is not the question. It's what they do, just about all of them. It's the way the world turns. New brooms and all that.

PostPosted: 10/07/14 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Come on now. Is it THAT unusual for a new coach to bring in their own team of assistants? Really? And why shouldn't they? Whether or not you like it is not the question. It's what they do, just about all of them. It's the way the world turns. New brooms and all that.

It is an interesting dilemma, though -- you come into a relatively unfamiliar area of the country, so do you hire those who you are familiar with, or those who the local coaches are familiar with?

It would seem at least one of each would make sense, but this is just one more example how much more complicated it is to be a head coach than an assistant.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: