RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Radar on yet?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 09/16/14 10:25 pm    ::: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

Okay. PHX has mercifully ended the pro season--that *hiatus* that interrupts our beloved NCAA season. Those of us here are all primed, ready for our favorite teams to shine.

Question:

In this season with no GrinerEDDThomasOgwumikeSimsDigginsEtc., which players on your favorite team(s) are going to be Talk of The Season? Which ones will be The Ones to Watch by December?

For me, I'd have to say Oklahoma really doesn't have any solid *contenders* in this category. I'm looking forward to seeing if their highest-ranked recruit, Gabbi Ortiz, is as advertised. I'm also hoping that Maddie Manning, their 2-time knee surgery victim, will come back and fulfill all the promise her freshman year offered.

Stanford? I'm afraid I may be ending my long and tenuous relationship with TVD. My heart's not there so much, any more; I fell in love with Brooke Smith, and on to Candice Wiggins, on through the O sisters, but now? I dunno....

I am going to re-up my adopt-a-Tarheel contract again, so I'll be watching Gray very closely. I really hope she can step up and help lead the charge on a Diamond-less club.

Who YOU got??

PostPosted: 09/16/14 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Stanford? I'm afraid I may be ending my long and tenuous relationship with TVD. My heart's not there so much, any more; I fell in love with Brooke Smith, and on to Candice Wiggins, on through the O sisters, but now? I dunno....

If you loved the way Nneka and Chiney Ogwumike played, I think you'll enjoy watching Erica McCall, in my opinion she has more versatility, in that she has a mid range jumper right now, than Nneka and Chiney showed at Stanford, but she is like a mini Chiney, she plays with energy, crashes the boards, posts up, finishes in the paint etc, she obviously didn't get a chance to display at lot of that with Chiney roaming the paint for Stanford, but I expect Erica to step in nicely and replace Chiney, not to the extent of Chiney, but not make it so noticeable that she's gone.

beknighted

PostPosted: 09/16/14 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tyler Scaife. With the bigger stage in the B1G, a lot of people will be surprised at how good she is.

buzzyb

PostPosted: 09/16/14 11:06 pm    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Question:

In this season with no GrinerEDDThomasOgwumikeSimsDigginsEtc., which players on your favorite team(s) are going to be Talk of The Season? Which ones will be The Ones to Watch by December?

This is tough. Louisville doesn't have a need to watch player this season - but certainly the media will be focused on "how is Jude playing without Shoni by her side". Probably gonna be a kind of a blah year until next years class.

I don't particularly follow any other team as close as I do Louisville, but interested to see Maryland and particularly Lexie Brown, who impressed me in the Elite 8 game against Louisville, but also made me very mad.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/16/14 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jewell Loyd will be a player to watch from my alma mater. She may be a first team AA as a junior. I'm actually curious whether juniors will outnumber seniors on the first team AA, as the junior class seems stronger than the seniors.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/16/14 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easy. Jewell Loyd.

Newcomer to watch - Brianna Turner.

Brinx

PostPosted: 09/17/14 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Coach Close can do with all the new youngsters at UCLA. Should be a fun time for the Bruins....I have high hopes!

Colerr

PostPosted: 09/17/14 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Tyler Scaife. With the bigger stage in the B1G, a lot of people will be surprised at how good she is.

I second this. Tyler is going to wow folks.

I'd also say that people will be impressed about how good Kahleah Copper is as well. RU has a two head monster in those two. =]

Especially if what was posted about Kahleah on RU's forum is true about her working on shooting the 3 this off-season, she'll be very hard to guard.

Phil

PostPosted: 09/17/14 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colerr wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I second this. Tyler is going to wow folks.

I'd also say that people will be impressed about how good Kahleah Copper is as well. RU has a two head monster in those two. =]

Especially if what was posted about Kahleah on RU's forum is true about her working on shooting the 3 this off-season, she'll be very hard to guard.

I agree re Copper. RU should do well.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/17/14 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm on senior watch for most of my teams, except for St. John's (not that I don't love Amber, please don't come after me, Amber's mom). I *am* expecting a lot out of Amber Thompson in her senior season, but the player to watch at St. John's is going to be junior Aliyyah Handford, who is all the awesome (well, most of the awesome, she'll be all the awesome if she can develop a jumper).

At Iona, Damika Martinez scores ALL the points and has been getting talked up quite a bit. (Junior Joy Adams is also kind of good.)

I'm really looking forward to Ka-Deidre Simmons's senior year at Seton Hall- she might be a second or third round sleeper.

I'm also looking forward to the continuation of Cyesha Goree's emergence at Michigan.

Cal is sort of an auxiliary team for me, so I'm keeping an eye on Reshanda Gray, as is half the West Coast.

(now with spelling variations)
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/17/14 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For DePaul, I would go with Megan Rogowski. I believe she had the second or third best 3pt percentage in the nation last year. Also our point guards Hrynko and Jenkins. Both average over 5 assists per game. Great assist to turnover ratios. Bring on the season!!

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 09/17/14 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Tennessee Izzy Harrison. Keep watch on Graves I think will have a better year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/17/14 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
For Tennessee Izzy Harrison. Keep watch on Graves I think will have a better year.

Second that. Also very interested in how the freshmen will fit in, and how Jannah Tucker shapes up.

For JMU, my second team now that I live here, I"ll be watching Toia Giggetts and Jazmon Gwathmey.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this Erica McCall (Stanford) talk has always confused me a little ...

I've seen her play a few times, small sample, and she's never been particularly impressive. Obviously a good athlete in a good body but never taken over a game.

And last year at Stanford, she shot 43.9% from the field (bad for a post), 54.5% from the line and had 10 assists and 30 turnovers. She's obviously a good rebounder and a very good shotblocker, but 3.3 ppg in 10.2 minutes a game does not look like an Ogwumike replacement to me.

But folks keep talking her up like she's the next in line to Appel, Nneka and Chiney, and maybe all she needs is 30 mpg to prove them right. I'm not yet convinced, however.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scaife? Absolutely.

Jlcarter wrote:

I get that. I think Izzy will be BIG this year.

ClayK wrote:
So this Erica McCall (Stanford) talk has always confused me a little .... But folks keep talking her up like she's the next in line to Appel, Nneka and Chiney, and maybe all she needs is 30 mpg to prove them right. I'm not yet convinced, however.

I'm in the same boat as you. She DOES seem to have potential--but I'm dying to see it yet. Now, I'm also thinking there's a LOT of talent that doesn't shine on The Farm, when Stars like the Os are given the entire limelight, but....now is the time for them to step forward and make it happen. Amaze us, please. Cool

PostPosted: 09/17/14 11:33 am    ::: Agree Clay Reply Reply with quote

Haven't seen any of it re McCall. In fact she was given opportunities and didn't show much. Her problem was she didn't understand the game both in offense and defense. Sure she could get some boards but her positioning was terrible on both offense and defense.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/17/14 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At UConn, I'm hoping Saniya Chong recovers from her thin gruel freshman season and finds the confidence and aggression that marked her high school play as an oft-magical passer, driver and outside shooter.

The team I'm most interested in seeing is South Carolina and especially their freshman class. I had the pleasure of watching hot tamale combo guard Bianca Cuevas many times in person since her 8th grade, and I've been very impressed by A'ja Wilson in all her USAB games. Jatarie White has also impressed me as a low post force.

I think the ACC and SEC will have the most interesting basketball for me. Isababe Harrison is one of my favorite national players, and Notre Dame usually plays the most elegant offense for my taste. I'm curious to see how coach McGraw melds super-frosh Brianna Turner with superwoman Jewel Loyd.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/17/14 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two other players I'm looking forward to watching:

Rachel Theriot at Nebraska. I think she's ready to really have a breakout year and step up onto the national stage.

Ariel Atkins - from having watched some of her HS games, I think she arrives at Texas ready to play and may really be a star sooner rather than later. Waiting to see how her coach uses her.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 09/17/14 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 09/17/14 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Coach Close can do with all the new youngsters at UCLA. Should be a fun time for the Bruins....I have high hopes!

I think Nirra Fields may also be worth keeping on the radar as well. With more weapons around her this coming season, I think she might be a bit harder for opposing teams to stop. But we'll see.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The development (or lack) of Chong is what interests me most, followed by how good are the frosh.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota's Banham I believe will continue her stellar play throughout her senior year. She's probably someone who could play at the next level although I don't think she will make an immediate impact and might be one of those who emerges years after graduating.

Vandy's Rebecca Dahlman (a Minny kid) is going to be the big contributor on the Vandy team.

And Nia Coffee on Northwestern's team I think will dominate in the B1G.

Now for some kids not born and raised in the GOpher state.

Ally Disterhoft from Iowa will excell in the Iowa backcourt opposite Sam Logic and someone already mentioned Theriot and I'm very excited to see Scaife in action.

Rocky Top7

PostPosted: 09/17/14 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tucker and Nared here Question Smile

PostPosted: 09/17/14 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alaina Coates. No better center in women's college basketball.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 09/17/14 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby Williams if healthy enough to go (reports from Storrs are positive). She has off the charts athleticism, elite-level high jumper and has spent her rehabbing time working on her perimeter shot. Bret McCormick (ASGR) once rated her #1 in the 2014 class.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/17/14 7:21 pm    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Awww, this makes me sad. I can understand it, but it makes me sad. I think it will be a downish year on the farm. We're so used to outstanding post play we got spoiled. But Amber and Lili will still be fun to watch and the mad bombers will go on bombing. Maybe someone will step it up on the inside.

I'm interested to see how Tiffany Mitchell (so Carolina) comes along and also the Walker/Williams duo at A&M. MoJeff at UConn has become a favorite too. And I wonder if Kiah Stokes will finally come into her own. will Elizabeth Williams finally live up to her billing? And also interested to see how Alleyne does with a new coach at Oregon and how Hamblin comes along at Oregon State. She is really such a raw talent (came from some tiny school in BC) and improved markedly during her Sophomore year - lots of potential there. Walker Kimbrough and Lexie Brown from Maryland could make a nice move this year. How about the now-Soph posts Mavunga at NC and Reimer at Notre Dame? Speaking of NC, Allisha Gray was the unsung Freshman last year and may become more prominent minus Ms Deshields. I'll be interested to see if Auburn's Muhammed becomes a real potential W player. Off the beaten track, maybe look at Deane, Hoover and Malott from Dayton. Will Aja Wilson be the real deal? South Carolina should be a fun team all around.

Always lots of players to watch in college! It's always fun to see the ones progress from Freshman thru Senior year too.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 09/17/14 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: