RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nikki Caldwell: And staff at LSU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TNT

PostPosted: 09/09/14 9:15 pm    ::: Nikki Caldwell: And staff at LSU Reply Reply with quote

I thought the board discussion of N. Caldwell at UCLA is very interesting. Here at LSU we wait to realize the recruiting impact she should have elicited.

Van Chancellor came to LSU to stabilize after the abrupt and controversial departure of Pokey Chatman.

Chatman recruited with great success and efficiency. She was a very good young coach and she had the best assistant in all of WBB, Bob Starkey.

LSU emerged as a truly dominant force, under these two and following the tenure of Sue Gunter. Sue G was a grand old lady of WBB, she was a pioneer of America's emergence on the world stage. She came to LSU and established the program, she did not invent the LSU WBB program, Jenks Coleman had led LSU to the national finals in the AIAW National Championship, losing a very competitive game to Delta State, coached by the great Margaret Wade and led in play by the first world class post players, Lucia Harris. LSU had the mother of WNBA Lauren Jackson, Marie Bennie Jackson and another Aussie named Julie Gross. This LSU coach defeated the nascent Pat Head (Summitt) and Sue Gunter, Jenks Coleman was an obscure Louisiana HS coach. So.....

Sue and Pokey elevated LSU and Van Chancellor came to stabilize. Van Chancellor, in his advanced age, recruited very well and left Nikki Caldwell with a strong group of players, giving her ample time to recruit her own team. This year will be the first team sans Van Chancellor players. Nikki Caldwell will have a chance to establish her program, with her players. As a matter of fact, one of the players is Anne Pedersen, who was recruited and committed to Van C, so there is a vestige of VC still. The other elder stateslady would be Sheila Boykin, who was recruited and signed with UCLA, and followed NC to LSU.

It is "showtime" for Nikki. Someone posted that she could begin her true-tenure with the signing of Keilani Brown, who btw has strong connections to Kim Mulkey Robertson, via Louisiana Tech. Both Mulkey and PJ Brown were all americans at Louisiana Tech. I don't know if the connections are strong enough to lure KB out of Louisiana. aTm may have the inside track, but I do not know.

I agree with previous posters, it is time for NC to emerge and shine. LSU is ready to test her mettle.

Finally, someone posted that NC has been to 2 straight Sweet Sixteens. She did this because LSU had successful bids for the 1st two rounds. It would be interesting to see how she'll do when the Lady Tigers have to travel. After venturing away, LSU struggled and did not advance beyond the Sweet Sixteen. As a matter of fact, we had 3 straight hostings, NC never has faced the post-season on anybody else's court.

Go Tigers and lets recruit, I believe NC will do it. LSU LSU LSU

PostPosted: 09/10/14 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am a big fan of NC. IMO within a couple of years LSU will be back to the days of Sue and Pokey. It is a shame that Pokey had to leave. I feel if she had stayed we would be talking about LSU and UConn in the same sentence today. Just look what she has done with the Sky. In 07 you guys probably would have won the SEC title if it had not been for NC. It was her that said to foul the freshman with 10 seconds left. In the National Championship games VC had not scouted or was not given the right info in their games and seemed to be out of touch with todays game and players. IMO he may have been brought in for the right reason while at the same time cost you guys NC's. I just hope she is given enough time to prove what a outstanding coach she can be.

PostPosted: 09/10/14 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Nikki did very well with what she had the past couple of years. The first year especially, when she got to the Sweet 16 with a very short bench and they were playing with more heart than skill, I thought she did extremely well. It will be interesting to see what she does this year. I'm always mindful of the saying that it takes 3 years for a coach to put their stamp on a program, and 7 for them to really develop it as their own. Most places (and people) will not give them that time.

PostPosted: 09/10/14 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to the OP for mentioning the name, Sue Gunter! She was such a fun lady and a very good coach. Brought back some good memories so thank you.

TNT

PostPosted: 09/10/14 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Gunter was a joy!

She had the greatest sense of humor.

She was a fierce competitor.

I wish LSU had launched SG's career, but timing is everything.

Sue and Pokey put LSU on the map.

Pokey proved to be a virtuoso, I shall never forget the awesome performance in 1991, in Albany Georgia, when Pokey elevated a good LSU team over Daedra Charles and Tennessee's juggenault. Pat S recruited with the fury of a blitzkreig. Sue did a very respectable job, but Pat S dominated. Sue never backed down and fought her tooth and nail, until her frail health rendered her incapable of the furious pace of SEC WBB. Pokey and Bob Starkey took over and together took LSU to 5 consecutive Final 4's.

I remember when Pokey resigned and Bobby S took on UCONN and Gino Auriemma. On the Dais, GA tried to marginalize BStarkey, and BS turned the tables and unleashed Slyvia Fowles on Gino and UCONN, LSU triumphed and humiliated UCONN by a 23 point margin. It may have been our finest hour, but it should not have been but another step in LSU's emergence. Fate is fickle and time sometimes sets the record straight.

Do I think N Caldwell will supplant Pokey's achievements, I really hope so. Smile

Go LSU Lady Tigers!!!

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/11/14 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TNT wrote:
Sue Gunter was a joy!

Pokey proved to be a virtuoso, I shall never forget the awesome performance in 1991, in Albany Georgia, when Pokey elevated a good LSU team over Daedra Charles and Tennessee's juggenault. Pat S recruited with the fury of a blitzkreig. Sue did a very respectable job, but Pat S dominated. Sue never backed down and fought her tooth and nail, until her frail health rendered her incapable of the furious pace of SEC WBB. Pokey and Bob Starkey took over and together took LSU to 5 consecutive Final 4's.

I remember when Pokey resigned and Bobby S took on UCONN and Gino Auriemma. On the Dais, GA tried to marginalize BStarkey, and BS turned the tables and unleashed Slyvia Fowles on Gino and UCONN, LSU triumphed and humiliated UCONN by a 23 point margin. It may have been our finest hour, but it should not have been but another step in LSU's emergence. Fate is fickle and time sometimes sets the record straight.

Do I think N Caldwell will supplant Pokey's achievements, I really hope so. Smile

Go LSU Lady Tigers!!!

Oh, do tell!

I would love to hear/read quotes of this.

PostPosted: 09/11/14 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caldwell is not someone I've followed closely--as a Pac 12 fan, I know her a bit for her role at UCLA. My best take on her is that she's been a bit overrated, but that may be a by-product of people's high expectations of Pat's *kids*. I don't think she's bad, just not excellent. Yet.

And you're right about LSU's downfall in Pokey's demise; that was a dynasty in the making, with a natural succession of excellent coaches, and then? *Poof!* Most unfortunate.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
TNT wrote:
Sue Gunter was a joy!

Go LSU Lady Tigers!!!

Oh, do tell!

Yeah...nearly a week later, still no response. Classic.

PostPosted: 09/24/14 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
TNT wrote:
Sue Gunter was a joy!

Go LSU Lady Tigers!!!

Oh, do tell!

And another week goes by... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/07/14 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
TNT wrote:
Sue Gunter was a joy!

Go LSU Lady Tigers!!!

Oh, do tell!

And another week goes by... Rolling Eyes

...and 2 more. TNT proving to be just another BSer. Shocked

PostPosted: 11/01/14 2:31 pm    ::: TNT said: "Will Caldwell supplant Pokey's achievement? Reply Reply with quote

"......I hope so..."

How is that BS'ing?

Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: