RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Texas' Imani McGee-Stafford

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/07/14 1:47 pm    ::: Texas' Imani McGee-Stafford Reply Reply with quote

Per ESPN, McGee-Stafford underwent surgery to reinforce her tibia in her left leg. Rehab begins right away.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11477088/texas-imani-mcgee-stafford-bone-surgery-left-leg

Anyone know how long this might keep her out or affect her this year?

Interesting for Texas if they don't have McGee-Stafford at full health.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/07/14 6:47 pm    ::: Re: Texas' Imani McGee-Stafford Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Per ESPN, McGee-Stafford underwent surgery to reinforce her tibia in her left leg. Rehab begins right away.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11477088/texas-imani-mcgee-stafford-bone-surgery-left-leg

Anyone know how long this might keep her out or affect her this year?

Interesting for Texas if they don't have McGee-Stafford at full health.

Hazarding a guess from a medical viewpoint (disclaimer: I didn't do a whole lot of ortho, my specialty was critical care/stepdown), I might guess that she could have had a small stress fracture in the tibia. If anyone remembers Sam Bowie of Kentucky, he had similar problems that eventually shortened his career. That's a part of the body that doesn't have the best circulation anyway, and in exceptionally tall people the circulation may be even worse, which would delay healing or at least make it difficult. I've read that these days they can actually inject a kind of "cement" into the bone to help things heal, which was not the case in Bowie's day. Also there are casts which can provide electrical stimulation to speed things along. It's a whole new world out there!

PostPosted: 09/08/14 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully this will not keep her from playing for the team this season. She will have two months to heal and rehab.

PostPosted: 09/08/14 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the Austin American-Statesman:
Quote:
Texas spokesman Brian Karst said McGee-Stafford will miss a “signficant part” of the season but would not put a timetable on her return. She might be ready to return in time for the Big 12 Conference portion of the schedule, which begins in early January, he said.

Surgery was required for an “ongoing” medical issue, not because of a recent injury, Karst said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/college-basketball/ut-center-mcgee-stafford-sidelined-after-leg-surge/nhHM8/?__federated=1

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/08/14 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, Texas loses McGee-Stafford and Fussell from last season, leaving gaping holes in their lineup.

Seems like Nneka is going to have her hands full this season without those two opening things up for her.

Nekia Jones is going to have to step up big time in the post along with Kelsey Lang in order to replace the production of McGee-Stafford.

newkid

PostPosted: 09/08/14 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
So, Texas loses McGee-Stafford and Fussell from last season, leaving gaping holes in their lineup.

Seems like Nneka is going to have her hands full this season without those two opening things up for her.

Nekia Jones is going to have to step up big time in the post along with Kelsey Lang in order to replace the production of McGee-Stafford.

Nekia and Kelsey both exceeded my expectations as Freshmen. So there's that. It's really Kelsey who'll need to fill Imani's shoes. Nekia just doesn't have the height to play C, I don't think. Fingers crossed that they both make that Sophomore leap, and that Imani can get back in time for conference play.

ETA: I went and checked the roster. Nekia is 5'11". (I was thinking 6'1".) So yeah, definitely not gonna play C very well in the Big XII.

ETalsoA: Hey, they can't do worse than the football team, right? Shocked Mad

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/09/14 5:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had Texas challenging Baylor for the XII but this hurts; I think it will be Baylor and OK State battling it out for the title

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/09/14 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IF it was the cementing procedure, and *if* it takes, McGee-Stafford could be back mid-season. Fractures generally heal better than soft tissue injuries, and these new procedures are nothing short of miracles.

PostPosted: 09/09/14 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like this is similar to the surgery Gen Brandon had last August....she was out until the beginning of conference play as I recall....

Hers was a stress reaction that wouldn't heal and a rod was placed in her tibia: http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=208996200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: